Cauliflower "Alfredo" Sauce - LIFE CHANGING.

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Bump
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Bump. I NEED this in my life!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    May have to try this with the Garlic Cauliflower steamers. Sounds really good!!!

When was the last time you had a big plate of rich, creamy pasta alfredo for under 400 calories? Never? Well then gather round, children!

I love pasta. And all other carbs. And anything made with cream and butter and flour! I was so happy to discover a way to enjoy the taste of these things without the 1,200 calorie bill. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer! I served the sauce over whole wheat penne with broccoli. I would have added chicken but I was feeling pretty lazy. Now, if you are REALLY trying to make your calories stretch as much as possible, you can omit the olive oil and parmesan cheese, but I wanted it to taste more like true alfredo sauce and less like pureed cauliflower... so I bit the bullet, and trust me: it really does make all the difference!

*THIS RECIPE WAS PICKY HUSBAND APPROVED!*

1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
    3/4 c broth (I used chicken)
    1/4-1/2 c milk (depending on how thick and creamy you prefer)
    1 T EVOO
    1/4 c Parmesan cheese
    1 clove minced garlic (sauteed) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder (or chopped onion)
    Parsley flakes to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes until tender (I boiled it in broth for maximum flavor absorption :)), then transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. Add broth and blend until very smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached. Add olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. Serve hot.

Makes about 3 cups, the perfect amount for one box of pasta. Sauce freezes and thaws well. When reheating leftovers, add a few drops of milk and stir to make it creamy again... it tends to get a little dry over night.

This sauce is also a wonder base for casseroles and makes a wonderful addition to many other recipes! I think cauliflower is my new best friend.

When I made the sauce, it came out to 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Much better than alfredo sauce which has 500 calories per 1/2 cup serving!

Enjoy!
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    I didn't read through all the comments, but I use Berotelli light garlic alfredo. It is only 50 calories per half cup serving, and you just heat it up and go. It is a lot less work than this, but then again, I don't like to cook. :smile:

I just read the label for the Berotelli light garlic alfredo, Sorry to inform you that it is 50 calories for 1/4 cup not a 1/2 cup, and had a very high fat ratio. FYI

Oops! Thanks for the correction on serving size! :smile: I am not at all concerned, however, about the fat content.

ETA: Didn't mean for that to sound rude if it did. I know a lot of people watch their fat intake.

NP - just that for some people, the extra calories and fat could be a problem. But I'm always looking for a good product if someone has a suggestion. :smile:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    sounds good thanks!
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    just added to my shopping list. Thank you; can't wait to try. I've been craving alfredo for, I don't know...almost 2 years :)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    I will eventually try this, it's been sitting on my pintrest for a while now. I tried the buffalo spicy cauliflower and it was not that impressive. But yes, it seems like this is the 'it' item for substitutes.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    bumpity bump
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Bump
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    If you guys want to eat alfredo sauce, go right ahead. All you have to do is just ignore the recipe, you don't need to come on here and debase people who are just trying to share healthier alternatives. Get off your high horse. It's just sauce.

I'm just trying to understand why it is healthier?

Compare the calorie count the OP posted.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    bump too lazy to save the recipe right now

• beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    bump
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I had a cauliflower soup once that seriously tasted like baked potato soup (one of my faves)...so delicious! Might just have to try this, though alfredo has never been my fave
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    yum
  • C0ffeeBreak
    C0ffeeBreak Posts: 21 Member
    Sounds yummy! Hope it is life changing :) Thanks!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I'd prefer this with cauliflower broth instead of the chicken broth, over julienned cauliflower--it's almost like real pasta! I then like to puree cauliflower to substitute for the milk. It's so good, and it all tastes just like cauliflower.

lol
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Oh yum!
    I'm going to skip the pasta and put this over spaghetti squash tonight!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    If you guys want to eat alfredo sauce, go right ahead. All you have to do is just ignore the recipe, you don't need to come on here and debase people who are just trying to share healthier alternatives. Get off your high horse. It's just sauce.

I'm just trying to understand why it is healthier?

Compare the calorie count the OP posted.

I don't care about the calorie count or that it "needs" to be a certain amount of healthy.
    I just love cauliflower! mmmmmmm ;)
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    bump for later