Cauliflower "Alfredo" Sauce - LIFE CHANGING.

Options

Replies

• lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh, now I see. Looking for a recipe for alfredo sauce ON cauliflower yielded the following result.

http://www.food.com/recipe/dr-oz-healthy-diet-fettuccine-alfredo-recipe-by-dave-lieberman-433146

now I see where this came from.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump Bump
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had a big plate of rich, creamy pasta alfredo for under 400 calories? Never? Well then gather round, children!

I love pasta. And all other carbs. And anything made with cream and butter and flour! I was so happy to discover a way to enjoy the taste of these things without the 1,200 calorie bill. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer! I served the sauce over whole wheat penne with broccoli. I would have added chicken but I was feeling pretty lazy. Now, if you are REALLY trying to make your calories stretch as much as possible, you can omit the olive oil and parmesan cheese, but I wanted it to taste more like true alfredo sauce and less like pureed cauliflower... so I bit the bullet, and trust me: it really does make all the difference!

*THIS RECIPE WAS PICKY HUSBAND APPROVED!*

1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
    3/4 c broth (I used chicken)
    1/4-1/2 c milk (depending on how thick and creamy you prefer)
    1 T EVOO
    1/4 c Parmesan cheese
    1 clove minced garlic (sauteed) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder (or chopped onion)
    Parsley flakes to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes until tender (I boiled it in broth for maximum flavor absorption :)), then transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. Add broth and blend until very smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached. Add olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. Serve hot.

Makes about 3 cups, the perfect amount for one box of pasta. Sauce freezes and thaws well. When reheating leftovers, add a few drops of milk and stir to make it creamy again... it tends to get a little dry over night.

This sauce is also a wonder base for casseroles and makes a wonderful addition to many other recipes! I think cauliflower is my new best friend.

When I made the sauce, it came out to 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Much better than alfredo sauce which has 500 calories per 1/2 cup serving!

Enjoy!

Stahp it, alfredo is only butter + parm, you can't substitute cauliflower for either

I was going to say if you take out the cauliflower, you would still have an alfredo sauce. What is the point of sticking cauliflower in it?

As a matter of fact, if you take out the cauliflower and replace it with broccolli, and take out the parm and replace it with cheddar, you would have cheddar and broccolli soup.

Still trying to understand why this recipe is better than a regular alfredo considering the ingredients are sure to bump up the calories in it.

Cauliflower as the base for the sauce makes it less calorie dense. There is only 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon of oil in the ENTIRE recipe, whereas alfredo sauce is all cheese and butter and cream.... do the math. 50 calories vs. 500 calories. Not that hard to figure out why it's better for you. And it tastes good. If it tasted bad, I wouldn't post it.

But all those same ingredients would make an alfredo sauce without the cauliflower?

Exactly. What was the cauliflower for? Doesn't seem to be the main focus/ingredient despite the name. If it had not been included, would it have changed the taste, texture, acidity, thickness/thinness, etc. Right now, it just sounds like a filler with no purpose then to just buff the amount that is being eaten.

which could be easily buffered by just pouring the original sauce over cauliflower instead of pasta and getting the same or similar nutritional profile.

Bingo! Sans pasta! The true evil in this concoction. LOL! :laugh:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    bumping this
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower for EVERY one of those bad carb dishes!!! Mashed potatoes, fried rice, pizza crust, I even put it under my spaghetti sauce now--IT IS FABULOUS
  • lana_313
    lana_313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This sounds great and I think it will be made.......TONIGHT...yay so excited to try something new!
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, will be trying it soon
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is delicious, but I'm just not sure cauliflower could ever truly change my life.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Thanks - maybe I'll try this!
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hmm might have to try.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alysiafresh
    alysiafresh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this! I'm pretty sure you could put alfredo sauce on a dog turd and I'd eat it, so having a healthy alternative is great, and I love cauliflower!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to try this!
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is actually terrible. I'm a good cook, and not a picky eater, and this still got one taste and was tossed in the garbage.
  • afugua0002
    afugua0002 Posts: 27
    Options
    bump x 1000! Love alfredo!