Cauliflower "Alfredo" Sauce - LIFE CHANGING.

Options

Replies

• ColeBeringer
    ColeBeringer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! Thanks :)
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bummmp!
  • Lisa294
    Lisa294 Posts: 9
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ellesgould
    Options
    Fettuccine alfredo is one of my biggest downfalls, temptations, and guilty pleasures. I can't wait to try this!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump, bump, bump!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of these FOOD HIPSTERS!! lol!, yeah I said it!, that's what you guys are!! "faw faw!, my food and food choices are far superior to your food and food choices, I am soo much better and more educated on the matter of food than you are...blah blah snarkity-snark!!, lets go and spread our awesomeness and debase these lesser mortals in their silly posts!!"
    Ok YESSS, there is the original Alfredo sauce, which is delicious, I don't think the OP is denying that, or telling people NOT to eat it, she simply found a recipe that cuts the calories-WHAT?!, people try to cut calories on here?!, of all the ridiculous things!..LOL!.

To those who don't understand why the cauliflower is in there:
    Olive oil, and milk have quite a bit of calories, so if you use LESS of the calorie rich ingredients and SUBSTITUTE using a lower calorie ingredient (cauliflower), this "FILLER" ingredient reduces the over all calories in a serving!!, it's pretty simple people!, also the cauliflower adds thickness to the sauce, as milk is runnier than cream!, any creamy sauce is made either with cream, or a "Bechamel" type of sauce which consists of flour, butter and milk to make the creamy consistency, all of which have way more calories..

Some of you might not like to reduce calories in this way, and that is fine!, but to crap on someone else's recipe and to debase it of any value is ridiculous!, who the hell do you think you are?!, LOL!.
    I for one like to scrimp and save some cals so that I can eat more!, I also exercise, and I eat calorie reduced and non calorie reduced foods too, it all depends on what I feel like eating, and what fills my daily calorie allowance...to each his/her own darnittt!!!!

THANKS OP for the recipe!!!, I'm sure it will be a life changer to some!!.

Alfredo has 2 ingredients, butter and parm. Seeing as cauliflower is nothing like parm or butter, it is not a logical substitution. Just because it is white does not make it alfredo

So what? (even if this were true, which it's not.) Cooked caulflower can actually be like a lot of things. and if fulfills people's desire for Alfredo in a more nutritious and low-calorie way, what is your problem with it? It's called alfredo because most people will then recognize it as a low-cal recipe that can substitute for alfredo. Why has all logic abandoned so many snobbish, know-it-all people around MFP?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    What will the super food cauliflower be used for next?
  • errikarae
    errikarae Posts: 2
    Options
    Definitely trying this! Thank you!
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing..bump!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    No.

If I want alfredo. I am eating the alfredo. Cauliflower is not and never will be a good substitute for anything.... EVER.

amen...

Just make alfredo without heavy cream sauce and you will save calories..

As an Italian I find cauliflower alfredo to be a mortal sin...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When was the last time you had a big plate of rich, creamy pasta alfredo for under 400 calories? Never? Well then gather round, children!

I love pasta. And all other carbs. And anything made with cream and butter and flour! I was so happy to discover a way to enjoy the taste of these things without the 1,200 calorie bill. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer! I served the sauce over whole wheat penne with broccoli. I would have added chicken but I was feeling pretty lazy. Now, if you are REALLY trying to make your calories stretch as much as possible, you can omit the olive oil and parmesan cheese, but I wanted it to taste more like true alfredo sauce and less like pureed cauliflower... so I bit the bullet, and trust me: it really does make all the difference!

*THIS RECIPE WAS PICKY HUSBAND APPROVED!*

1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
    3/4 c broth (I used chicken)
    1/4-1/2 c milk (depending on how thick and creamy you prefer)
    1 T EVOO
    1/4 c Parmesan cheese
    1 clove minced garlic (sauteed) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder (or chopped onion)
    Parsley flakes to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes until tender (I boiled it in broth for maximum flavor absorption :)), then transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. Add broth and blend until very smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached. Add olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. Serve hot.

Makes about 3 cups, the perfect amount for one box of pasta. Sauce freezes and thaws well. When reheating leftovers, add a few drops of milk and stir to make it creamy again... it tends to get a little dry over night.

This sauce is also a wonder base for casseroles and makes a wonderful addition to many other recipes! I think cauliflower is my new best friend.

When I made the sauce, it came out to 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Much better than alfredo sauce which has 500 calories per 1/2 cup serving!

Enjoy!

Stahp it, alfredo is only butter + parm, you can't substitute cauliflower for either

I was going to say if you take out the cauliflower, you would still have an alfredo sauce. What is the point of sticking cauliflower in it?

oh damn, I just noticed that ..

Just use the milk + butter + parm...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't have a picky husband and I don't like Alfredo/creamy sauces, but this one is a winner for sure. I love cauliflower in anyway and form and the idea of replacing red sauce for a white one is very appealing. Nice change, so thank you OP!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Tuh, my Cauliflower Oatmeal was better.

YEah but my Cauliflower mimosa's were even better than that. Remember?
    my cauliflower beer is better ....
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower! I make it pureed all the time instead of mashed potato, def trying this recipe!
  • rsquire20
    rsquire20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really really really miss Alfredo sauce! I will certainly be trying this recipe next week :)
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Bump!