August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Shoes?

My podiatrist recommended the following shoes for over-pronation (if that's anyone's issue like it is mine):

Brooks Adrenaline
    Brooks Ravenna
    Asics Kayano
    Asics GT 2000

I've got the Asics GT 2000 and they feel great. Haven't had any issues with them whatsoever, and I've done nearly 200 km in them.

They do make more noise than my previous shoes (Nike Lunarglide 7) but the soles are thicker and I needed that.
  • jlyeki
    jlyeki Posts: 7 Member
    Hey everyone. So I may have to start running in september because I'm having some pain. Does anyone have foot pain? Located on the top of the foot kind of right in the middle? Any ideas to help it? It's only my right foot that hurts. I've been walking though, trying to get miles in that way at least. Thanks in advance.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @juliet3455 and @greenolivetree - thanks for the KT tape information! The video was very helpful and I will check it out again when I have my tape.
    @ereck44 - I hope the poison ivy rash is better!
    @mbaker566 - bee stings! Ouch!!
    @Elise4270 - that is awesome about Alex's running. Makes me wish I had started running when I was younger!
    @greenolivetree - had to laugh about your hair! I have done that but it is no big deal since I work from home!
    @MNLittleFinn - not mentioning your blister - yuck!
    @5BeautifulDays - your fall sounds like my entrance to the gym last Thursday (days before my HM)! Had to laugh a taking stripper off your list of possible jobs! I have heard that both pole dancing and belly dancing are REALLY tough workouts! At least with belly dancing there would be no bruises from the pole.
    @sunkisd1105 - lots of us, even those who have run and run a lot mix in some walking with our running. When I started out I walked more than I ran and slowly increased the running time and then running distance. You'll get there too just take it slowly.
    @Elise4270 - how was the swim? Did you have to beat off any old men with your crutch?
    @ariceroni - Welcome Back!!

Had meetings take over my morning even though I got up early to run. By the time I went out it was over 80F and I had to leave Hobbes the Vizsla home and he was NOT happy. It was a terrible run... hot, humid and my legs were still so stiff from Sunday. I stopped multiple times to stretch: calves, glutes, QUADS, etc... I did feel better afterwards and after I stretched at home and cried on my foam roller! My trainer saw how slowly I was moving tonight and took pity focusing mostly on arms with lots of stretches in between sets for my legs!

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    HM training workout tonight was "long strength intervals" which consisted of 5-7-3-5 minutes with 60 sec recovery between. Then 4 sprints the length of the football field. I screwed up my watch during the first two sprints, but with warmup and cooldown recorded 49 minutes and 4.53 miles.

8/1 - 4.06 miles
    8/2 - 4.53 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/20/2016 Team Sarcoma 5k
    ???? Something in September?
    10/9/2016 Empire State Half Marathon
    12/3/2016 St. Nick Shuffle 5k
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    shanaber wrote: »

@Elise4270 - how was the swim? Did you have to beat off any old men with your crutch?

1. Phrasing. (Archer reference)
    2. NoOo00o. :blush: Not really my thing... although....this one time...jk.
    3. None remembered to wear KY tape
    4. Omg, where is The WolfPoppet?
    5. Sorry newbie's. That was too easy to pass up. :tongue:
    6. Wait one more, that was just low hanging fruit.

One did tell me I was smooth through the water and must swim a lot. You got me, I'm a fish. Fish left after comment since said fish was now alone with "non-swimming-in-the-water" feller. Na na na na!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    jlyeki wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So I may have to start running in september because I'm having some pain. Does anyone have foot pain? Located on the top of the foot kind of right in the middle? Any ideas to help it? It's only my right foot that hurts. I've been walking though, trying to get miles in that way at least. Thanks in advance.

@jlyeki I get that exact same thing when I wear my Nike Lunarglide 7 shoes. Just the right foot.

My feet are fine in all my other shoes.

Could it be due to one pair of shoes with you?
  • shanaber
    edited August 2016
    Elise4270 wrote: »

1. Phrasing. (Archer reference)
    2. NoOo00o. :blush: Not really my thing... although....this one time...jk.
    3. None remembered to wear KY tape
    4. Omg, where is The WolfPoppet?
    5. Sorry newbie's. That was too easy to pass up. :tongue:
    6. Wait one more, that was just low hanging fruit.

One did tell me I was smooth through the water and must swim a lot. You got me, I'm a fish. Fish left after comment since said fish was now alone with "non-swimming-in-the-water" feller. Na na na na!
    Hahahahaha! Laughing with tears running down my face!
    I miss the WolfPoppet too and his acerbic wit!
    That low hanging fruit may need some KY Tape! :bigsmile:
  • shanaber
    Orphia wrote: »
    jlyeki wrote: »

@jlyeki I get that exact same thing when I wear my Nike Lunarglide 7 shoes. Just the right foot.

My feet are fine in all my other shoes.

Could it be due to one pair of shoes with you?

@jlyeki - It could also be the lacing - you might try loosening it and/or trying an alternate lacing pattern to relieve the pressure on the top of your foot. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/alternative-ways-to-tie-your-running-shoes
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    7/2: 8.5 miles (7 mile jog, 1.5 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 16/100 miles
  • georgianabell
    georgianabell Posts: 18 Member
    8/2: 4.37 km

August total: 4.37km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1

total/monthly goal: 17.17/125

Today's notes: For the forst time in MONTHS, I did not want to run this morning. I'm still not feeling fully recovered from that monster of a run on Monday night, but I knew that If I didn't go, I'd be beginning a vicious cycle. Normally, Wednesday is 6 miles, but since Monday's second run (substituting for Tuesday) was 9 miles instead of the normal 7ish, I cut 2 miles off to keep my weekly mileage the same. In the end, the run went Ok.

Mile Splits:

1: 10:00
    2: 9:44
    3: 9:41
    4: 9:35

Ended up with 4.14 miles, and Recovery Adviser from Garmin says 20 hours recovery. So far, This has been pretty good. I've never felt that I needed more recovery time, but I have felt g2g before recovery is up before. Glad I got today's run in.

Tomorrow's plan is:
    Warm up: 15 minutes
    Steady State (2:00-2:05HM pace) 50 minutes
    Cool down: 10-15 minutes

I think I'll be ready for it.

Edit: I know this isn't going to last...but....How Do I have more miles than @kristinegift so far??? LOL small motivators....
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    @karllundy: haha You're welcome. I struggled with the injury last Spring/Summer. I struggled with not being able to run, I struggled with the PT, and I struggled with the constant pain I felt even months after starting PT. No one could even really figure out what I did, and when and where it hurt seemed to almost baffle the therapist. It was frustrating, though I did manage to recover well enough to run a half in February! To be honest, I can be pretty whiny, myself. :smile:

@Elise4270: I had no doubt Alex would excel in running based on what you mentioned last month (or was it the month before?). He is probably in a better position than I am right now to run a half this year.

@5BeautifulDays: I'm sorry to hear about your fall and all your bumps and bruises! I've kind of always wanted to try a pole dancing class, but then I realized it most likely requires a lot of upper body strength which is something I've never had. I am determined, though, to take an aerial silks class at the circus school in Philly sooner rather than later. Also lots of upper body, but I just think it looks awesome.

That low hanging fruit may need some KY Tape! :bigsmile:
    This, literally, made me laugh out loud at my desk. My coworkers probably think I'm losing it for real, now! :lol:

@kristinegift: I'm glad to hear the new job is going well!
  • instantmartian
    Yesterday evening was cooler, but it was super humid! I started to fizzle out at 4.5 miles, but I pushed through with a few intervals thrown in during miles 5 and 6. I was running on a ~3 mile rail trail about five miles from my house. It's not my favorite place to run, but it was a nice change from the cemetery or running around my "village." There was a guy running on the trail in the opposite direction I was, and we crossed paths four times at either end of trail. The first encounter was met with a wave by each of us. The second encounter got a "hey," and by the last time, we congratulated each other for our distances, and wished each other a good night. I got back to my car just as it was getting dark, did a little stretching, and headed home. I slightly underestimated the time it would take me to run the 7 miles, as my last few miles were quite a bit slower than my first few. This was, however my longest run since the end of February, so I'll take it. I'll be doing 3 miles on Thursday as long as we don't have any of the torrential downpours we've been having lately, and my next run of significance will be a 10K on Saturday.

08/02 7.00 mi
    TOTAL 7.00 mi
    GOAL: 70.00 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • MNLittleFinn
    @instantmartian nice run!
  • instantmartian
    Thanks, @MNLittleFinn. It's been a slow and steady build back up to 13.1. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Thanks, @MNLittleFinn. It's been a slow and steady build back up to 13.1. :smile:

Slow and steady is the way to go. you got this!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Amy! I was active in these running challenges for a few months, but stopped posting in April when I had a few minor injuries back to back, cut back my mileage to recover, and was having a hard time with comparing myself too much to other runners. Anyways, I'm feeling back to my old runner self now and decided it was the perfect time to rejoin! Really glad to see a lot of the same faces around here, as well as many new ones!
    I'm currently on week 7 of training for the Chicago Marathon (my first marathon!). My goal for the month is 180 miles as specified by my training plan.

Welcome back Amy. I was wondering where you went off to.
    8/1: 3.6 miles w/ the Coffee Crew
    First day of work went well! Everyone is very friendly, and I really appreciate the way they're doing my orientation. I'm shadowing people in all the steps of the "process" below mine, so I understand all the elements that go into my job and the systems/software that everyone uses. I like to have lots of information in my brain, so this works really well for me. It's also a pretty laidback office and the dress code is super casual, which is awesome; plus summer is a sort of down time for the office so it's a great time for me to learn my role and get used to everything. Ready to go tackle some more workin' today! ;)

@kristinegift Glad work is going good for you. Did I miss the part where you described what you are doing? And how casual? Can you wear your running clothes to work so you don't have to change afterwards? :-)

@MNLittleFinn - yeah, when you rearrange your schedule, it may create a challenge. I am glad you pushed through and it didn't let you fall completely off.

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Posting before reading - - gotta catch up with what everyone's been up to! First though, welcome to all the fellow newbies! I hope y'all get sucked into this crazy fun group like I did :smile: This is the best & most encouraging group on MFP, IMHO

8/1.....rest day
    8/2.....3.25 miles run/ walk on treadmill

Goal: 40 miles
    3.25 miles done, 36.75 to go

Knees a bit sore still, so I took it slow & easy on the treadmill. I think it's time to go back to PT. Today is weights or swimming (probably weights.)
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Hey back for another attempt hoping I'm getting out of whatever mindset I'm was in in July aiming for 70 miles this month.
    08/02 3.4 miles took a bit of time to get my legs warmed up after leaving it a bit long, kept it fairly easy despite the humidity. Well done to everyone running in the heat and humidity not sure I could manage the temps that some of you run in.

Good luck to everyone on their goals and hi to all the newbies.

exercise.png