August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Stoshew71 thanks. I know that change was necessary....runnning in a Thunderstorm was not an option, but oh boy did not running yesterday make today hard.....That and I am/was still recovering from Monday's horrid second run. But, I got the miles in, and it looks like it should be another 35-40 mile week, assuming the next 3 days running go well.

Edit: question for the group. For tomorrow's run, I'm just going to be doing a 3 mile loop like 2.5 times. If I go one direction, I have a steady uphill for 80% of the loop, then a quick downhill and flat. Going the other way, I have the sharp uphill and long, gradual downhill. Tomorrow's a Steady State run. I'm thinking having the steady uphill and sharp downhill is the better way to go, but looking for other folks opinions. Or is this just one of those things where it doesn't really matter and I'm being me again?
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    @MNLittleFinn The steady uphill and short downhill would be the way I would go.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Today's run was oodles better than yesterday's. One day of eating properly does wonders. Like I said yesterday, if I wasn't convinced that fueling well helps performance, I'm definitely a believer now. And @Stoshew71, thanks for the sciency stuff you posted yesterday, it helped me understand better. :smiley:

Happy Hump Day!

exercise.png

1/8: REST
    2/8: 5.30 km + 20 mins yoga
    3/8: 5.38 km + 20 mins yoga

Current PR : 5K in 35:06 / 10K in 1:17:??

Races:

6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double
    8/3 5 miles - 31.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

So I think I semi-committed myself to a long run this Saturday morning being dubbed as the Cecil Ashburn 2.5 Suckfest. Basically you are running over a mountain 2.5x for a total of 20 miles. Cecil Ashburn Drive is the road that goes through Huntsville Mountain and has over 600 ft of elevation gain depending which direction you go. So we are starting at the bagel place near Fleet Feet, and heading east up the mountain and down to the otherside, turn around and go back over the same mountain going west back to the bagel place, turn around and repeat. Going once and coming back is almost 1400 feet. So doing it twice is almost 2800 feet. Then we go back east up the mountain to the top of the mountain and then turnaround and go back to the bagel place. So we are doing the mountain 2.5 times. And I am estimating about 3500 feet over 20 miles. I have no idea what the weather is supposed to be like this weekend, but hopefully it's going to be like it was the last couple of mornings. It's nice this week for August.

• MNLittleFinn
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Nice running.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks. Still a little brutal, but getting better. :smiley: By the way, how are you going to accomplish a "35040 mile week"? Is there a typo in there somewhere? :wink:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    8/1 - Intended to run 4, but oversleeping and a thunderstorm kept it from happening :-(
    8/2 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class. I may be too uncoordinated for this ab stuff...I feel like a bull in a china shop for sure.
    8/3 - 4.11 miles. Cool but foggy/sticky. Felt like running through a shower.

exercise.png

@Amandajs232 - I wear neutral / cushioned shoes too. I rotate between Saucony Ride, Asics Cumulus and Brooks Ghost. As others mentioned, I buy the previous year's model to drop price from ~$120/pair to $70 or so. Usually can get them from a lot of online retailers, or in the "clearance" section of my local running store.

@Stoshew71 - Cecil Ashburn 2.5 Suckfest sounds..."fun". Enjoy!
  • MNLittleFinn
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks. Still a little brutal, but getting better. :smiley: By the way, how are you going to accomplish a "35040 mile week"? Is there a typo in there somewhere? :wink:

I'm going to borrow some of the awesomeness of @Stoshew71 ....or maybe there was a typo and it should have read 35-40....not sure which.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @Elise4270 -omg you crack me up.
    @stoshew71 - that Suckfest sounds not so fun to me. Great training, but I sure hope the weather is nice.
    @kristinegift - The job sounds great.

8/1 - 5.1 miles
    8/2 - 4.6 miles with intervals
    8/3 - 4.6 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • sunkisd1105
    sunkisd1105 Posts: 11 Member
    Ok! I am determined to become a runner and am hoping this will get me started. I have set a goal of 40 miles this month. I hope walking can be included because I know I can't run all of that yet.

[img][/img] s-exercise.png

Well, it's been a slow start but my goal is still doable. Logged in 1.75 miles this morning.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    1-stung by a bee yesterday. was told i shouldn't run today :(
    2-leg was doing well but woke up in pain this morning and a little swelling, putting run off till tomorrow just in case.
    3-sleepy, might have time for a run tonight if i don't have a low aerial class to teach. I'll have about a free hour

exercise.png

• MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    32!

2 Aout: 0
    3 Aout 2

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    jlyeki wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So I may have to start running in september because I'm having some pain. Does anyone have foot pain? Located on the top of the foot kind of right in the middle? Any ideas to help it? It's only my right foot that hurts. I've been walking though, trying to get miles in that way at least. Thanks in advance.

I've had top of foot pain but only when my foot was squeezed. It was tendon pain. Massage, and making sure your shoes are not tight. I went so far as to wear them as loose as possible. Also could be a good idea to visit a podiatrist. My doc initially though it was a Morton's neuroma, thankfully it was not.

Hope you get relief!
  • Elise4270
    karllundy wrote: »
    8/1 - Intended to run 4, but oversleeping and a thunderstorm kept it from happening :-(
    8/2 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class. I may be too uncoordinated for this ab stuff...I feel like a bull in a china shop for sure.
    8/3 - 4.11 miles. Cool but foggy/sticky. Felt like running through a shower.

@Stoshew71 - Cecil Ashburn 2.5 Suckfest sounds..."fun". Enjoy!

Karl, I'm not touching that one. I am loving the diversity of your routine! How is it cool? I should remember where you are.... But I don't..
  • sunkisd1105
    sunkisd1105 Posts: 11 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Ok! I am determined to become a runner and am hoping this will get me started. I have set a goal of 40 miles this month. I hope walking can be included because I know I can't run all of that yet.

@sunkisd1105 - You include whatever is useful to you. Some people will include walking, because a mile is a mile. Others will only include running, because that's what makes the most sense to them. We don't all have to do it the same way.

As far as "I can't run all of that yet" goes, everyone starts somewhere. You might see people refer to me as one of the serious or more active runners. I confess I put up some rather impressive miles in Februrary, March, and April as I trained toward the Boston Marathon. But I didn't start out to become a runner with the goal of running Boston.

I started out with the goal of being able to run the 3.5 mile JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge without having to slow to a walk. I found a canned 5K training program that called for me to start with intervals of walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes.

And I found the first time I went out, I couldn't run 3 minutes. I could run 1 minute, then I had to slow to a walk.

So . . . as the graphic upthread says, don't compare your Chapter 1 to someone else's Chapter 20. You are where you are, and you do what you need to do in order to get where you want to be.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have a C25K app too but can't get through all the running intervals yet. I know this will change with time, but patience isn't something I do well. :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Thanks @karllundy - I think this will be my biggest training challenge yet runningwise. I won't be thinking about it too much in the mean time.

@MNLittleFinn - Try it both ways? There are pros and cons to each. I actually prefer the short and steep with a gradual downhill. When a downhill is too steep, I can't use the gravity to my advantage because I am going too fast and I end up breaking. Gradual downhills allow me to relax and let the gravity do the work. Plus I like getting the hard part of going up over the hill over with early.
  • Elise4270
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Amy! I was active in these running challenges for a few months, but stopped posting in April when I had a few minor injuries back to back, cut back my mileage to recover, and was having a hard time with comparing myself too much to other runners. Anyways, I'm feeling back to my old runner self now and decided it was the perfect time to rejoin! Really glad to see a lot of the same faces around here, as well as many new ones!
    I'm currently on week 7 of training for the Chicago Marathon (my first marathon!). My goal for the month is 180 miles as specified by my training plan.

Glad you're back! There's no ranking here. But if there were a whiteboard you and @kristinegift would be our "A" team. 180 miles this month!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    Aug 1-Rest Day
    Aug 2- 3.5 miles AM, 7.4 miles PM cruise intervals, 0.7 mile run with puppy
    Aug 3-5.9 miles

Whew. Finally getting around to setting my August goal. I am gonna go for 180 this month. I am still grinding along mostly following this level 3 HM plan, but I still feel like I might bail on it at some point. Everything tells me that it is flying in the face of my "A" goal, which is to begin training for Boston fresh and healthy. If I keep up with this plan, I very well might be neither of those. But that internal thing inside of me that hates to quit anything keeps nagging at me. Why do I have to be a typical, self-destructive runner??

Anyway, Yesterday was quite a day for running. The plan called for 2 runs, an easy 50 minutes and cruise intervals of 4 X 8 minutes in zone 3, totally 64 minutes with warm up/cool down. I did 40 minutes in the AM with plans on doing the CI run after work. Monday evening was glorious (my rest day, of course) and I thought yesterday evening would be the same. Not the case. When I went out for my run after work, the temp was 88F, feeling like 91. I debated doing just a one hour run and doing the cruise intervals this morning when it would be cooler. But these humid mornings have been driving me nuts, not to mention, if I waited until the morning I would have to run in my neighborhood which is hilly compared with the bike path and that makes it harder to control the heart rate. I decided to put on my HRM and stick rigidly to my required zones so that I didn't stroke out. Man was I surprised what I was able to do, even in the heat. Paces for my cruise intervals were a solid 7:15- 7:45 for the first 3 intervals, with my HR holding well at the high end of zone 3. The last interval slowed a bit because my HR was starting to go into zone 4. I also had to really slow up my cool down to bring my HR back down. Overall run (including warm up and cool down) was 7.4 miles @ 8:21 avg pace with avg HR smack in the middle of zone 3. Given the 88 degree temps, I was pleasantly pleased.

This morning's run, on the other hand, was pleasant, but also slow with very heavy legs. Felt like a true recovery effort.

I also wanted to thank everyone who commented on my shoe question. I have a few questions for all of you, but I am running low on time, so I will get back to those during lunch. I have to do SOME work today, after all.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Amy! I was active in these running challenges for a few months, but stopped posting in April when I had a few minor injuries back to back, cut back my mileage to recover, and was having a hard time with comparing myself too much to other runners. Anyways, I'm feeling back to my old runner self now and decided it was the perfect time to rejoin! Really glad to see a lot of the same faces around here, as well as many new ones!
    I'm currently on week 7 of training for the Chicago Marathon (my first marathon!). My goal for the month is 180 miles as specified by my training plan.

Glad you're back! There's no ranking here. But if there were a whiteboard you and @kristinegift would be our "A" team. 180 miles this month!

My vote is to include @lporter229 for "A" team as well? :smile:

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Rest day today....cause it's Wednesday and I don't want to smell the garbage at the curb! Plus it's the first day of school and I had to take 1,000 pictures of my baby girl driving off to 11th grade!

rial9oyh3zao.png

@stoshew71 oh no you didn't kinda commit, you committed I read it on the internet therefore it's true! You just want to see the hairy runner.
    @5beautifuldays you are so funny! no pictures huh? THAT I'll never believe
    @shanaber google the KT tape on youtube too.
    @MNlittlefinn wow 30 min difference between the pacers is a big difference. I'd do the sharp up and long gradual down...we are talking about running right?
    @ariceroni welcome back you've been missed, glad you are back!
    @jlyeki I agree with the others, either the shoes you are wearing or too tight. I never lace my running shoes snug because my feet swell when I'm running.
    @kristinegift glad the first day was good! Only 14,600 more until retirement. :smiley: