Stoshew71 wrote: »
    OMG WHY ARE THERE SO MANY POSTS

Yes, lots and lots of posts...

P4250007.jpg

You nerd.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Do you have any recent 10K PRs? or any recent race results? What I do is plug in a recent race time into one of the race predictor apps and see what it gives me for a different distance. McMillian's is the one I use the most. That will tell you what your current fitness level is at (current as of when the race you are using). Then you figure some small improvements from that depending on when was your last race to when your HM is.

The other question I would have is, is Hal asking you to run 4 miles at goal HM pace or current HM pace?

Haven't run a 10K, ran a 10 Mile 2 years ago but hard to say exactly what my fitness is relative to that. Probably a bit better but too long ago to use as much of a gauge. As for Hal, his plan calls for goal HM pace. I won't worry too much about it. Mostly I was concerned that I may not be working the right systems in my body if I go to fast on that run.

My other midweek runs are slower by about 45 seconds and my long run almost 90 seconds slower.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    @greenolivetree: Thanks! I'm getting there. Not sure I'll be getting up to the 12 I'd like to before my half on 9/12, especially with a 10-day UK vacation thrown in the mix, but I will try my darnedest!

@skippygirlsmom: Someone I went to high school (and college) with posted photos of her kids' first day back to school. She lives near Huntsville, AL...I think. She noted about the week-long Spring and Fall breaks, all sorts of teacher days, an extra long Christmas vacation, etc.

@ceciliaslater: Just reading your post made me tired. I cannot even imagine how exhausting it all actually is! Good luck!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @skippygirlsmom - she is so cute! Love the shoes!!!
    @stoshew71 - lol, love the posts.
    @ceciliaslater - wow, sounds overwhelming! Good luck!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

P4250007.jpg

You nerd.

Takes one to know one!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice
    8/2 - 6.0 - Easy
    8/2 - 4.15 - Easy
    8/3 - 15.03 - Easy

Total - 27.41 of 285 miles

Today was back to the grind for me. After only doing single digit mileage runs the past few days I wasn't sure I'd remember how to go long. I had a relatively early appoint this morning at work so I was out the door at 4:10, the conditions we less than ideal - 79 degrees - 85% humidity - NO WIND with intermittent rain. If I see any of you guys post about running in mid to low 60's I might drive down and strangle you. I was able to keep my normal 9:25-9:40 easy pace for the entire run but the conditions made the HR go a bit higher than I'd like. I never came close to leaving mid Z3 but my HR was still about 10 BPM higher than I'd like for that effort.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1

total/monthly goal: 17.17/125

Today's notes: For the forst time in MONTHS, I did not want to run this morning. I'm still not feeling fully recovered from that monster of a run on Monday night, but I knew that If I didn't go, I'd be beginning a vicious cycle. Normally, Wednesday is 6 miles, but since Monday's second run (substituting for Tuesday) was 9 miles instead of the normal 7ish, I cut 2 miles off to keep my weekly mileage the same. In the end, the run went Ok.

Any time you get dehydrated to the point of a head ache 12-14 hours post run your body isn't able able to recovery like it needs to. I would be careful with your planned run tomorrow. After you get through your warmup if you are not feeling it just run easy. Running a tempo run on wasted legs is not a good idea.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @5512bf roger that. No head aches from the dehydration or any head ache at all, run this morning sucked at first but that was my legs....lol...I woke up 2# heavier today than yesterday due to water consumption yesterday. I've got a lot of experience recovering from dehydration due to work, so I'll be watching how I feel tomorrow.
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    3 miles on treadmill today :smiley:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member

P4250007.jpg

Bwahahahahahahahaha
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited August 2016
    Re: start of school, my son starts middle school on the 17th. My baby is growing up. It's not fair, I want him to stay little.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Wow. A lot has happened on this thread while I was off working. Lots of posts. And posts on posts. And so on...

So, about the shoe question:
    @Somebody_Loved - How do the nimbus compare to the GT-2000 for cushioning? I was thinking of trying the nimbus.
    @5512bf - I may have to try the Adidas. When you say they run small, do you mean I should buy a 1/2 size bigger than my Asics or smaller? I buy a size 7 in Asics, but have found a 7 to be too big in some other brands.
    @Stoshew71 and @MobyCarp - I hear you on being cheap. I always buy last years model of the Kayanos, sometimes 3 pairs at a time. I usually find the best deals at Runningwarehouse.com. I know they have a reputation as an expensive shoe, but I have yet to pay over $100 for them and I have owned at least 20 pairs. I usually end up with the ugly colors, but I don't worry too much on how they look. I do like the idea of rotating shoes though. I especially think it might be helpful to rotate brands, which is why I am looking for an alternative to the Kayano. I think you are onto something @Stoshew71 . It will force you too adapt your form a bit. I can see how that might actually prevent injury over the long haul. As for the Kinvaras, well I tried a pair to see what all of the hype was about. I got them on a good clearance sale so I figured it was worth a shot. That shoe is not for me. I felt like a platypus slapping around in them. Maybe something to get used to, but they are so opposite of the Kayanos, I think it would be hard. I do like how lite weight they are though.
    @skippygirlsmom -Do you know how the Brooks Launch compare to the Ghost? I can almost run in the Ghost, but they still lack the cushioning I like. Maybe if the Launch have a little more cushioning they might be worth a try. Thanks for all of the great advice!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

P4250007.jpg

You nerd.

Takes one to know one!

Nuh uh.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    @instantmartian I live near Huntsville. It is so silly.
    thanks @ddmom0811

Nice picture @stoshew71

@lporter229 I tried on the Ghost and hated them. They just felt awful, Skip thought the same thing. I think cushion wise they are about the same but the Ghost felt heavier. I was wearing Glycerins you might like them, very cushiony. I was wearing the 12s but they went to 13 and I just didn't like them as much that is why I went to the Launch, plus the Launch is lighter. I do alternate, Launch (I have 2 pair) and Glycerin 12 and 13 on occasion.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    @skippygirlsmom - Skip looks so much more grown up than in her running clothes! I just can't get over it!
    @ceciliaslater - Your post on all the moving and working and fence building exhausted me! Wow! I am sure you will be so happy to get back to a normal routine!
    @Stoshew71 - love the posts!
    @Elise4270 - I happen to know that you are in fact a nerd too!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @shanaber Yes I am. That's why I teased Stan :blush:

I think most runners are nerds. A great percentage of them seem to be, at least!

Are you a nerd too?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member

P4250007.jpg
    So true! Catching up with y'all is really hard work sometimes ^^

@Somebody_Loved I'm using the YAYOG as well - but not as often as I should, I have to admit. I've been slacking off and doing at best two sessions per week. Now I should have done the first workout of week 5 of the basic training this Monday, but it turned out to be too tough for me. I think I'll start over with week 1 instead, and aim for at least 3 days/week. I think it's a great program - but surprisingly enough, it turns out it doesn't work so well if you skip half of the workouts, who would have thought?

@greenolivetree Lol, spacing out in the shower has also happened to me. Only worse - I wound up putting the shampoo in my hair, but not rinsing it out. Toweled off, let my hair air-dry, and wondered why it felt so odd all morning. Fortunately we have a shower at work, and I've stacked a towel there for "emergencies" like that ^^

@5BeautifulDays I heard a program about pole dancing as exercise on the radio recently. All the people they interview said how tough it was; I can imagine ending up with sore arms and core!

@lporter229 I like neutral cushioned shoes too! But I usually go for a lower drop than your Asics, so I'm not sure if any of my suggestions are valid for you. If you want to try out a really nice medium drop shoe, I'd recommend the Brooks Pure Flow. I ran more than 500km on my 3's now, and I've already got a pair of 5's in the closet to replace them when t becomes necessary.

@Amandajs232 I have no one favourite brand. As I wrote above, I really like my Brooks PureFlows; loved my Saucony Cortanas as well, but they stopped making them! I bought a pair of Saucony Xodus as replacement, as suggested by the lady in the running store (she said they were the same drop and cushioning), but those feel much clinkier, heavier and stiffer; so it's not that one brand is always good or bad for someone.
    Sometimes I brand just doesn't work for you - I tried on lots of Salomons, but those all felt too narrow in the midfoot for me. On the other hand, while nearly all Asics shoes I tried on weren't really my thing, I still bought a pair of Asics Fuji Runnegrade - my best pair of mud running shoes.
    To complete my collection (yes, I am currently proud owner of SIX different running shoes), I have some On Cloudflyers, which were a bit of a mistake (for distances > 10km, I get blisters on the toes, so I can only use them for short runs), and some Inov8 Terrafly which have now been added to my "love those shoes" list - I think they make a better replacement for my old Saucony Cortanas than the Saucony Xodus. I know some people find a brand or even a special model they like so much that they stick to it exclusively; I like having variety.
    And now @MobyCarp made me really want to go and try out some Kinvaras as well... o:)

@ariceroni Great to have you back!

@MNLittleFinn Depends on how steep the "sharp downhill" is. Too steep to run? I hate when steep downhills force me to walk, feels like they steal my hard-gained elevation ;-) . If it's not that extreme, and you want to do the loop 2.5 times again, how about just going once in each direction, i.e. reversing direction after the first loop; so that you see which option you prefer in the future?

@ddmom0811 Love the dating profile link, thanks for sharing :-p

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    My month started rather slow running-wise. Monday was "crosstraining day", with mixed success. I had some fun riding my bike and then failed misarable at the fist week 5 workout of YAYOG basic...

Tuesday I nearly didn't run - I got stuck at work much longer than planned (note to self: don't poke your head into other people's offices on the way out to ask if they fixed their problem if you don't want to spend the next 90 minutes fixing it for them...), and had the beginnings of a headache when I finally arrived at home. After an hour downtime on the couch I figured as long as I was miserable anyway, I might as well do some hill repeats. That turned out to be a good choice - you know how they say that you always feel better after a run? Maybe "always" isn't true, but yesterday it definitely was the case, I was feeling wiped-out and happy when I finished the run.

I've been trying out different route in the mountains every other week since moving here, I think today I found one which I really, really love, I will be repeating that one for sure!
    It's a steady climb over the first 6km; first in the village, than on a small road, finally on dirt tracks. Just long enough that the last kilometre of that climb makes me suffer, which means there's room for improvement if I keep running that route. :D
    And then it turns down into a crazy steep narrow downhill trail for ~800m, followed by 1.5 km gentle downhill on a mix of road and dirttrack, another 1.2km gentle climb to mix things up, and a nice easy recovery finish of 3km road/trail/road/trail/road downhill. And as a bonus, it's on the eastern side of the mountains; so if I drive there after work, the direct sunlight is stopped by the mountains, which ment it was actually surprisingly cool there this evening (22°C, when it was still around 28°C around my apartment).

For tomorrow, the weather forecast promises thunderstorms. I hope that means it will cool down, and I can enjoy a cold evening run without the need to drive anywhere. Cold weather would be awesome!

exercise.png