August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @5512bf - I ran the Charleston marathon in 2015 and the pacer took a wrong turn in the first mile which ended up throwing the whole course off by 0.2 miles, so we actually DID run 26.4. Everybody's Garmins were beeping 0.2 miles ahead of the mile markers and it was maddening trying to figure out what was going on. I thought maybe they intentionally put the mile markers 0.2 miles back so that you wouldn't be feeling the agony of that 0.2 at the end. Glad I was not trying to BQ!
    FWIW, it is a Boston qualifier, so the BAA actually went down to Charleston, measured the course and adjusted everybody's time for the extra 0.2 miles. Not that it mattered. There were so many twists and turns in that course, my Garmin ended up reading 26.8 at the end of the race.

@lporter229

Our big fall race has a Full and Half Marathon that goes out at the same time, then 15 minutes later a 5k starts that uses some of the same course. A couple years ago, there was a really gifted 5k runner that came smoking past us 9 minute runners right by the turn to head to the finish line, Unfortunately the biker who was leading him missed the turn and took him up the street with us for about .2 before he realized his mistake. By the time the guy got turned and back on course 4-5 other runners had passed him and he finished outside the top 3 prize money. From what we all gathered he was leading by a good 150-200 meters. and would have possibly broke the course record, earning another bonus prize money award. Just goes to show how important it is to know your course.... @MNLittleFinn
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

Uhg how horrible! I don't think non-runners ever understand how much runners hate the word "jog" and its derivatives. I tried explaining it to my lab partner the other day and he just looked at me like I'm crazy.

On a related note, I have repeatedly told my S/O that if I'm ever killed while out running, his only job is to make sure that media/obituary/social media does not use the words "jogger" or "out jogging". He thinks I'm trying to be being funny but I'm actually 100% serious -_-

OMG that cracked me up! I need to tell my husband the same thing. His only job... LOL.

@Stoshew71 - love the pictures!

I need to keep distracting myself on here today. Avoiding rewriting syllabi in a new format for no apparent reason.

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm new to the group. I am also new to running. I am setting a goal of 50 miles. I've logged in 11.78 so far this month. My heels are covered in band-aids. Hope that's just part of the "fun"!

@shaunamaki1979

Unfortunately that is not part of the fun. I'd guess that either your shoes are not properly fitting for running, or you need better socks.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I saw this in one of my running groups on FB. Be safe out there and aware of your surroundings everyone. It happened at 5pm so it wasn't dark but she was on a running trail in a National parkland area. So sad!
    http://pix11.com/2016/08/03/body-of-woman-found-in-howard-beach-queens-death-under-investigation/

Note with all of the discussion of runner vs jogger - they called her a jogger out on the jogging path! arghhh...
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I saw this in one of my running groups on FB. Be safe out there and aware of your surroundings everyone. It happened at 5pm so it wasn't dark but she was on a running trail in a National parkland area. So sad!
    http://pix11.com/2016/08/03/body-of-woman-found-in-howard-beach-queens-death-under-investigation/

Note with all of the discussion of runner vs jogger - they called her a jogger out on the jogging path! arghhh...

Oh my gosh, Scares me to death. My daughter lives in Queens and runs. I had to look at a map and this is on the east side of Queens, my daughter lives over on the west side right by Manhattan. Of course I am going to have to send this to her and tell her watch out. She's 6'2" and very strong but still...

Just awful. Poor woman and poor family.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Just got off the phone with my mom. It's semi-official. we're going to try jog half a mile, walk a quarter, for the whole HM route. My mom is awesome.... I am so going to get her to run a HM next year. She's up to 6 miles jogging now, so it WILL happen.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Considering latest conversation on this thread @MNLittleFinn, you mean "running" right? :wink:
  • shaunamaki1979
    shaunamaki1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @5512bf

Agreed. I haven't had much luck finding the right shoes. I have always had issues with finding sneakers that fit my heels without causing injuries.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Considering latest conversation on this thread @MNLittleFinn, you mean "running" right? :wink:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I think this time it will be jogging...I guess I look at it like when I'm being really serious I'm running, but when I'm just chilling and moving it's jogging...the difference for me is the mindset when I'm doing it, not the pace...
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I think this time it will be jogging...I guess I look at it like when I'm being really serious I'm running, but when I'm just chilling and moving it's jogging...the difference for me is the mindset when I'm doing it, not the pace...

Good answer. :smiley:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @shaunamaki1979 I don't have experience with blisters but I think double layer socks help. But maybe you need a shoe with a narrower heel. Does your heel go up and down in the shoe? Also you can buy something by Dr Scholl's that goes in the back of the shoes to tighten up the heel if you really can't buy more shoes now or can't find the right ones right away.

@MNLittleFinn I can feel your hesitancy in counting anything less than all-out running in your mileage, but for that long of a distance I'd just count it!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Im just call it a recovery run. ;-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

@MNLittleFinn I can feel your hesitancy in counting anything less than all-out running in your mileage, but for that long of a distance I'd just count it!
    good point
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Im just call it a recovery run. ;-)

I think I'll do that...the recovery run will 3x the length of the run before it but it's all good......it's a research run.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    August

2Aug - 7m
    4Aug - 8m

15/100miles

New longest run! Was supposed to be 7.5m but got a tiny bit lost and had to backtrack a little :blush: Followed the written directions I was sent by running club but have now been told these are not always the best. Too tired to catch up on the mammoth amount of posts, need my bed, will catch up tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well.

exercise.png
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek + core
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    Total: 16.1 miles

Run overview:
    An “easy” 4 miles, followed by strides and strength training. “Easy” because my legs felt completely trashed again today; HR stayed in my easy zone though so I guess that’s what counts? I hope I’ll eventually get used to these perpetually sore legs

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @shaunamaki1979 - what kind of socks are you wearing? My nephew was getting terrible blisters when he was running in cotton blend socks. I got him some wool socks that wick the moisture away and the blisters went away as well. Of course it could also be your shoes or a combination. If different socks don't fix it I would go to a running store if you have one nearby and have them help you find good shoes that fit your needs.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    13.6/85 done, next run cycle kicks off Sunday.

Decided to slow down a bit based on everyone's advice and keep my HR at around 150, this still lets me move pretty quickly so I shouldn't have to plan much more time on the weekends for running and it won't interrupt my lunch runs.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double
    8/3 5 miles - 31.5
    8/4 9 miles - 40.5
    8/4 4 miles - 44.5 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

@shoshew71 I had a lady come up to me and Skip's Coach at the middle school the other day and tell us that running ruined her knees and that she wanted to know what he does to take care of the kids knees. She went on and on. Now Skip's Coach is the sweetest guy, he is very patient, doesn't get upset very even. When she walked away he said "are you kidding me?". I hate when people tell me running is going to ruin me.

^^^ I just saw this, ooops ^^^^

That's insane, but I hear that all the time when I tell people that i run. I just smile and nod.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Woman that cuts my hair told me today she was happy to finish her half marathon in less than 4 hours. She's still a runner in my book!

1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging, 20 minutes wrestling sports bra on while still wet. (only kind I own) :smiley:

Lots of eldery loitering. I'd aimed to up my pool time, but it just got too crowded. I don't get it. Why stand around in the indoor pool to chat with your hair fixed and your sunglasses on? Then the old men just kinda circle around like sharks. maybe it's a game...

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.

@ddmom0811 I'm going to try that hands over head thing!