August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I managed 3.75 miles today. That does include some short walking breaks as it is REALLY HOT (97/107 Heat Index). I did remember to bring my camelbak, so I was able to stay hydrated, but I'm really wishing I had the insulated tube, as the water in the tube got hot in the sun (the stuff in the reservoir stayed cool enough, but that first sip--bleh!).

Anyway, I didn't measure my walk breaks this time, so I'm just counting it all as running. I had originally planned on doing 4 miles, but I decided to cut it short due to the heat and the sun beating down. Gosh I miss clouds...

3.75/40 miles completed for the month.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Awesome!
    @Stoshew71 Great article :)
    @skippygirlsmom Hehe. Morticia.
    @KatieJane83 Welcome to the group and good luck in your training!
  • lilawenta
    lilawenta Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    70 mile goal for August. 11 miles so far.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Re: Non Runners

My friend followed me on different apps I was using and after I'd run she'd text and say something like "You ran a whole hour? Ugh. How boring." or "I just have more important things to do than spend an hour exercising. I mean, I have kids and everything." LOL She's a stay at home mom of school aged kids. In other words, all 9 month school year she's home alone ALL DAY. So when I got my Garmin I didn't tell her so she can't ask to follow me on there too :#

I'm loving these non runners! Why is she following you any how?

I swear these people wanna run, jog, stroll, walk, and be active and just haven't quite reconciled that with their inner runner.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - hope that person isn't in charge of anything very important at work. LOL
    @greenolivetree - I was thinking the same thing you said "why was she even looking at a running article if she is so against it".
    @Somebody_Loved - great news! No pain is always great!
    @skippygirlsmom - lol the coach.

I never understood runners prior to being a runner. I'm not the type to offer my opinion to something I don't know about. And I certainly wouldn't give runners negative comments/advice when I don't know about it! I would just be in awe of people that could run. And now that's me. So I'm in awe of me. LOL - not really! But I am SO happy to be a runner. Oh wait, am I a jogger or a runner. As @stoshew71 said - No dead bodies, so runner!

By the way I was thinking this morning while running. Yeah, it happens. When I took the "Good Form Running Clinic" at my local running store a couple years ago, they said to lift both arms straight over your head when you start each run, or if you feel like you are not in the right position. It sounds weird, but it gives you the proper lean and keeps feet aligned. So for months after that clinic, I would lift my arms every time I took off running. But I'm used to it now so I never do. But, the last few days, I had a tiny bit of pain and I was afraid it was going to throw off my gait, so I started lifting my arms for a few seconds, mid-run and it helps get me back on track. Of course, if you never took such a class or don't have any issues it won't make sense, but just throwing it out there.

I probably should rest tomorrow with two big bike rides on Sat/Sun but this first week of pre-planning is so stressful that I have to run or I might kill someone. Once the students start on the 10th, it will all be fine. But all the prep and nonsense we have to do, is just brutal. So it's best I run tomorrow.

8/1 - 5.1 miles
    8/2 - 4.6 miles with intervals
    8/3 - 4.6 miles + Strength Training
    8/4 - 5.67 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Last week at work, one of my coworkers, who knows I run and is the only one who will talk to me about it, asked if I had a run planned for that afternoon/evening. I noted that I was supposed to be doing 4 miles, but I wasn't sure if that was going to happen with the storms rolling through. (We had torrential downpours that day, and I never did make it out.) We then got to talking about my half marathon training, and I noted that my next long run was 7 miles.

The new girl who sits between me and the coworker who was having said conversation chimes in and goes, "Wait, you're going to run 7 miles all at once?" To which I replied, "Well, yeah. I have to if I'm going to be in good enough shape to run 13.1 in a month and a half." She then asks, "But that doesn't make you tired? I can't run for more than a couple minutes at a time." I replied that if you pace yourself properly it's doable, and that I would, of course, run the 4 miles faster than I would run the 7. She then asked me how long it would take me to run the 7 miles, and I noted that I am kind of slow right now, quite a bit slower than I had been at one point, but I could probably do the 7 miles at an 11 minute per mile pace, so it would probably take me somewhere around an hour and twenty minutes to finish. Her response was, "Oh. So you don't run for 7 miles...you JOG." All I could say was, "Yeah, I guess." and I walked away.

Uhg how horrible! I don't think non-runners ever understand how much runners hate the word "jog" and its derivatives. I tried explaining it to my lab partner the other day and he just looked at me like I'm crazy.

On a related note, I have repeatedly told my S/O that if I'm ever killed while out running, his only job is to make sure that media/obituary/social media does not use the words "jogger" or "out jogging". He thinks I'm trying to be being funny but I'm actually 100% serious -_-
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    LOL Love all the pics/jokes!

My 16 year old saw a 13.1 sticker this past week and in all seriousness asked if the person just couldn't finish the marathon and quit at 13.1. LOL Somehow he knew that 13.1 wasn't a marathon but failed to recognize that 13.1 is a race in and of itself. He should know this because my sister has a 13.1 sticker on her car :-p He will totally be the person one day who puts that 0.0 sticker on his car though!

@elise4270 Years ago SHE invited me to use an app to track walking and then when I got a fitbit she had to get one too, but somehow the whole thing never really caught on with her. So basically if I use an app and let her see all my exercise I get comments like "Geez, you're at it again." But if I quit using the app, she wants to know why she can't see my exercise - because she needs to comment negatively on it, of course. LOL

Funny thing is a couple months ago she mentioned how her "dedicated" husband was running and workout out after work and before dinner....so I asked why she considered him dedicated but me obsessed. Her response was that "normal people" exercise for a few months off and on and give it a break, but it's not normal to exercise 6 days a week for 5+ years. :p

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Those are awesome!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Just posting my miles for now and will catch up on the posts in a bit. Had a great run this morning before it got too warm. Yesterday's extra rest was definitely needed as I ended up with a terrible sinus headache and upset stomach. Woke up feeling great this morning though!

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training
    08/03.......0.00.........5.24
    08/04.......5.01.......10.25 - + Strength training and Rally

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @5512bf - I ran the Charleston marathon in 2015 and the pacer took a wrong turn in the first mile which ended up throwing the whole course off by 0.2 miles, so we actually DID run 26.4. Everybody's Garmins were beeping 0.2 miles ahead of the mile markers and it was maddening trying to figure out what was going on. I thought maybe they intentionally put the mile markers 0.2 miles back so that you wouldn't be feeling the agony of that 0.2 at the end. Glad I was not trying to BQ!
    FWIW, it is a Boston qualifier, so the BAA actually went down to Charleston, measured the course and adjusted everybody's time for the extra 0.2 miles. Not that it mattered. There were so many twists and turns in that course, my Garmin ended up reading 26.8 at the end of the race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fir the first time ever, I won't be doing my normal Long Run this week. My mom is driving up and we'll be walking/jogging the route of the September HM. I'm conflicted. I've only ever logged running miles, and this one won't be a run per se.... so I'm not sure I should count it toward my total......

....LOL the guilt I feel over silly things. It'll be on my Strava and GC logs though, since the main reason I'm doing it is to get a look at the profile/elevation from tracked data instead of just data from mapping it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

Last week at work, one of my coworkers, who knows I run and is the only one who will talk to me about it, asked if I had a run planned for that afternoon/evening. I noted that I was supposed to be doing 4 miles, but I wasn't sure if that was going to happen with the storms rolling through. (We had torrential downpours that day, and I never did make it out.) We then got to talking about my half marathon training, and I noted that my next long run was 7 miles.

The new girl who sits between me and the coworker who was having said conversation chimes in and goes, "Wait, you're going to run 7 miles all at once?" To which I replied, "Well, yeah. I have to if I'm going to be in good enough shape to run 13.1 in a month and a half." She then asks, "But that doesn't make you tired? I can't run for more than a couple minutes at a time." I replied that if you pace yourself properly it's doable, and that I would, of course, run the 4 miles faster than I would run the 7. She then asked me how long it would take me to run the 7 miles, and I noted that I am kind of slow right now, quite a bit slower than I had been at one point, but I could probably do the 7 miles at an 11 minute per mile pace, so it would probably take me somewhere around an hour and twenty minutes to finish. Her response was, "Oh. So you don't run for 7 miles...you JOG." All I could say was, "Yeah, I guess." and I walked away.

Uhg how horrible! I don't think non-runners ever understand how much runners hate the word "jog" and its derivatives. I tried explaining it to my lab partner the other day and he just looked at me like I'm crazy.

On a related note, I have repeatedly told my S/O that if I'm ever killed while out running, his only job is to make sure that media/obituary/social media does not use the words "jogger" or "out jogging". He thinks I'm trying to be being funny but I'm actually 100% serious -_-

lol-i'll have to share that with my husband

on a side note, i wish i could run my half with an 11min pace. my first half was just under 3 hours

nother side note, i'm watching my new vivosmart come to me but dhl has had it in misourri and there haven't been any new scans since 4:39 this morning. Where is it? i want it. now.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @5512bf I'm kind of a McMillan Junkie, I use the paces from his calculator for training. That said, Average HR, (including wU/CD) was 161, with a max of 172. So, I may not have been too fast...but it was outside of the zone I was aiming for.

I'm not sure what your LT HR is, but i'd guess it's low to mid 160's based on some of the runs you've posted and that 5 mile race you ran. Mine at about your experience level was 162ish, but I was 41 years old as well. My range to run in for z4 was 158-164, with steady state type runs at 154-158. This run might be a bit fast, but one thing my trainer has told me several times is when doing tempo or threshold training runs, going over, or under, your number by 3-5 BPM isn't a bad thing. You are not going to be there for long so the recovery period should be quick. Come race time however it's vital to try and stay under 4-5 BPM for as long as possible before going anaerobic towards the end. This is also stated in Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. for a new runner as your fitness level rises the LT range will rise as well, and I'm fairly certain you fitness level has risen in the past 5 weeks or so since your Half.

• shaunamaki1979
    shaunamaki1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm new to the group. I am also new to running. I am setting a goal of 50 miles. I've logged in 11.78 so far this month. My heels are covered in band-aids. Hope that's just part of the "fun"!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your LT HR is, but i'd guess it's low to mid 160's based on some of the runs you've posted and that 5 mile race you ran. Mine at about your experience level was 162ish, but I was 41 years old as well. My range to run in for z4 was 158-164, with steady state type runs at 154-158. This run might be a bit fast, but one thing my trainer has told me several times is when doing tempo or threshold training runs, going over, or under, your number by 3-5 BPM isn't a bad thing. You are not going to be there for long so the recovery period should be quick. Come race time however it's vital to try and stay under 4-5 BPM for as long as possible before going anaerobic towards the end. This is also stated in Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. for a new runner as your fitness level rises the LT range will rise as well, and I'm fairly certain you fitness level has risen in the past 5 weeks or so since your Half.

Thanks. That's some good info. With 6 weeks until my next Half, I'm kind of debating lining up with the 2:00 pacer (9:08 pace) simply because the next one is 2:30 and that's way slower than I want to go for. I'm still figuring out what pace I can maintain for distance, and I'm "hoping" I can be at the point where 2:00 is doable, just not sure....LOL, I'm new enough that I'm not sure at times how fast/slow I should be going.