August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Just getting back into running again. I think I will probably end up completing 27 miles this month. ;-)
    Welcome @jazlynunbedacht
    jods713 wrote: »
    Joining late so 100 km for the rest of August
    Welcome @jods713
    I'm going to goal myself at 35 (since i'm joining late and i'm also a beginner runner) let's do this :)
    Welcome @smillerrr21
    luluinca wrote: »
    That's about the number I was thinking of too. Another beginner here!

I think since I only did 4 last week though I'll go with 30 for this month and maybe I can surpass it.
    Welcome @luluinca
    I just found this page tonight. I'm set my August running goal @ 100 miles. If I make it, I'm buying myself the Garmin Vivoactive HR. As of tonight I'm at 23.09 miles.
    Welcome @Chrisjuvers

Hello everyone. I have just discovered this thread! Yay! :)

I used to run a good bit then I stopped as I decided to travel! I am now starting Hals Half Marathon Intermidiate 1 program. Very excited, I start his properly tomorrow. I went for a test run today and was pretty pleased! :) short but sweet.

Based on his program I hope to log 50 miles for August starting from tomorrow.

I have added a few of you already, I hope you don't mind but I am looking for lots of motivation so please add me! :)
    Welcome @TravelBear87
    I'm late to the party- just discovered this group but would like to join.

My August goal is 40 miles

8/5/16- 4 miles
    Welcome @sweatingforthesoul

@Dakotaderego & @lilawenta You guys appear new to me, welcome if I haven't greeted you guys yet.

If I missed anyone else, my apologies. it's getting harder and harder to keep up in this thread.

Welcome back @Virkati

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Despite the soupy weather, and the apparent disorganization (or something) of the race, I had a good run. I felt strong, and I know if it wasn't so damn humid, I would have felt even stronger. I don't run a lot of 10Ks, but I had my fastest time in years, which actually has me pretty excited for my half next month. I started feeling a bit tired around mile 4, so I definitely have to work more on pacing myself, but I already knew that going into the race.

This was the 6th year for this race. I was told by many people there this year that last year was chip timed - this year wasn't, which doesn't make sense because I know the organization that did the timing definitely does chip-timed races. Also, we were supposed to start off at 8:30, and walkers at 8:45. About 8:20, they made an announcement that runners and walkers will be starting at the same time, and that time was 9:00. I was pissed for a variety of reasons (hotter conditions, threat of thunderstorms drawing nearer, walkers in my way, etc.), but I have to give it to the walkers - they were the most considerate I ever encountered in a race like this. Even when there are corrals, if they're not monitored like a hawk, I end up running (or should I say yogging :smile:) around walkers. This was a complete free-for-all and nearly every single walker waited until the runners were through the start before they started themselves!

Overall, I was pretty pleased. I'm not much of a chocolate eater, but I managed to come home with what is, for me, about a four month's supply of different chocolates. It was also a fundraiser for Penn State University research into Melanoma, which took the life of someone pretty close to me, so it was definitely a good cause.

EDIT: I forgot to note how pretty the course was - rolling hills through or along farmlands.

The trip to Troegs for food and beer afterwards was also a giant plus to my day. :smiley:

08/02 7.00 mi
    08/04 3.00 mi
    08/06 6.23 mi
    TOTAL 16.23 mi
    GOAL: 70.00 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn: What novel would that saying be from? I'm interested. :smile:

@katharmonic: It was soupy, but I did score a ton of chocolate, so all was not lost!

@ceciliaslater: That is brilliant! I would absolutely love for someone to deliver me bacon during a race...or anywhere else for that matter.

Thank you all who wished me good luck.

I had nearly 200 posts to read through, and I'm on limited time, so I will just cut myself off here, and start following the conversation, again, after this.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @lporter229

I screen captured that from my desktop at work and cropped it in Photoshop. I'm kinda a tech junkie and work in video/photo so it's pretty easy if you have the right software. You might be able to screen cap it in your phone if you know how then post the image.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim

I read a story about a Bouldern Ironman participate getting hit and killed along a portion of the highway over the weekend. I've really never paid a lot of attention to the Ironman but figured that the course would be closed. Is it common to have to bike on an open highway?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A kittenload of new people. Hurray

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05
    August 7 - 10.4km - Long(ish)Run/6:17
    August 8 - 3.6 km - Easy/6:00

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    how do you post the graph from Garmin Connect. I could post it here to show you guys what I am talking about.
    @lporter229 If you can see the graph on the gc website and use firefox or chrome as a browser: there's an extension called "Nimbus screenshot", super handy for selecting parts of a website and saving it an an image, and then you can upload it here. (chrome extension, firefox extension)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OMG 145 new posts.

Well, I survived my run-less weekend. Going to visit my old alma mater was quite melancholy. I spent the best years of my life in that place, and really wish I could go back to that time in my life. I am not too happy with the way my adult life turned out. Hence the depression.

BUT I DIGRESS. I was back at it today. Was able to crank out 4 miles and my legs were okay with it. I had kinda tweaked my back a little walking around campus on Saturday, and I was worried it might flare up, but it was fine. Eight months ago that would not have been the case.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @lporter229

I screen captured that from my desktop at work and cropped it in Photoshop. I'm kinda a tech junkie and work in video/photo so it's pretty easy if you have the right software. You might be able to screen cap it in your phone if you know how then post the image.

I find the easiest way for me is to use the Snip tool in Windows, if you have a pc. Don't need to do any cropping elsewhere, you just click and drag over whatever area you want to 'grab'. Then I just save it to my desktop and drag the file into the text box here.

I'm not gonna lie, discovering the Snip Tool was life changing for me, lol.

vzl2slg2oyu0.jpg

etugtd1657yq.jpg
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    OMG 145 new posts.

Well, I survived my run-less weekend. Going to visit my old alma mater was quite melancholy. I spent the best years of my life in that place, and really wish I could go back to that time in my life. I am not too happy with the way my adult life turned out. Hence the depression.

BUT I DIGRESS. I was back at it today. Was able to crank out 4 miles and my legs were okay with it. I had kinda tweaked my back a little walking around campus on Saturday, and I was worried it might flare up, but it was fine. Eight months ago that would not have been the case.

*hugs* regarding the melancholy/depression. As for how your adult life has turned out, you'll find a way to change it for the better for yourself, and no one else, I'm sure of it. :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    One other thing: Does anyone have any recommendations for strengthening the glutes? I think mine might need some work, as I've been developing a little bit of discomfort on the right side when I'm not running.
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    OMG 145 new posts.

*hugs* regarding the melancholy/depression. As for how your adult life has turned out, you'll find a way to change it for the better for yourself, and no one else, I'm sure of it. :smile:

I am definitely working on it!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty The best way? Deadlifts and squats. Else you can try bridges
    @5512bf @KatieJane83 I use a little program called Greenshot. It runs in the background and you can assign shortcuts. You can also set it to save automatically or ask where to save. I set Alt+PrintScreen to open the snipping tool and I just drag the rectangle over what I want to screenshot. It saves automatically to my desktop. Much better than any method I used

Here how it look in action

w6lrz4udmp1t.png