August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 That color run profile pic is awesome! You really managed to get hit by a LOT of color :-)

@lporter229 If the intervals suddenly seem easy, you must be making gains for sure. Nice!

@katharmonic A Starbucks right at the end of your run sounds very convenient indeed. I'd normally say I would prefer a simple espresso, but right now, anything "iced" sounds heavenly.

@kristinegift When it comes to olympics, I'm usually fascinated by things like pole vault - you never know if the bar is going to fall or not... Swimming is pretty nice to watch too, running as well (of course!), other things like volleyball and fencing don't really interest me - and there's no way you'd catch me watching golf, lol! For winter olympics, I like biathlon and ski-jump, those are interesting to watch, most of the rest I ignore.

@lilawenta Great job on the 6.3 miles!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Tough few days running. Heat and humidity have been beastly. Thursday I really hurt my upper foot/ankle somehow, particularly painful across the top where the shoe ties, and then re-injured that Saturday and spent the rest of the day either icing it or wearing an ankle sleeve. Took it easy today and tomorrow is a rest day. I hope for cooler days and earlier runs. The rest of the Strava crowd is putting up killer miles. You are running animals!!
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 
    Aug  3     5.8     10.8 
    Aug  4     4.3     15.1 
    Aug  6     5.6     20.7 
    Aug  7     5.1     25.8 

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Thunder and water falling in buckets. No run today. :'(
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 That color run profile pic is awesome! You really managed to get hit by a LOT of color :-)

Yeah, it was insane!!! :smiley:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm going to goal myself at 35 (since i'm joining late and i'm also a beginner runner) let's do this :)

That's about the number I was thinking of too. Another beginner here!

I think since I only did 4 last week though I'll go with 30 for this month and maybe I can surpass it.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Thunder and water falling in buckets. No run today. :'(

Send some of that precipitation over my way (Ottawa, Canada), we're having grass fires here. :/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have Matt Fitzgerald's DQS app. Its been updated. Still a bit buggy but definitely more user friendly. Tracking is easier and it doesn't need to be reset each day. It crashes when I add profile information. But that's not why I use it, right.

Just saying in case anyone is interested. Think it was $1.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles

34 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

@ariceroni great job on the 10K love the picture
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 great new profile pix, looks like you had a blast
    @ddmom0811 Skip got stung by a jellyfish a few years back, he actually wrapped around her whole calf, yuck
    @orphia awesome run!!!
    @shanaber sorry you are still having stomach issues
    @_nikkiwolf_ I love pole vaulting, I always watch them when we are at a meet

Welcome to all the new people. :smile:

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom!! It was fun!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni congratulations on the 10k! Way faster than I can do so I give you props, especially on sore legs!

@louubelle welcome back from vacation. Uh, sorry about the relationship not working out. Sounds like not quite the match for you anyway. Hope you got some running in!

Welcome to the new people!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    OK. I need some help figuring out my Cutback week this. Last time around it was easier, because I was running less mileage, and wasn't being so hardcore about it. I've averaged 40 mpw the first 3 weeks of this training cycle. I'm trying to figure out how to structure or not structure my cutback. Normal weeks looked like:

Mon: 4 miles
    Tues: 7-9 miles hillier
    Wed: 4-7 miles (depends on how many I ran on Tues)
    Thurs: 7-8 miles (Tempo run, Steady State Run or Cruise Intervals)
    Friday: 4 miles
    Sat: 10-14 miles
    Sun: Rest

I'm aiming for like 25-30 miles for this week, so I can still run a 9-10 mile long run and will probably be running a Tempo Run of 30-35 minutes plus W/u and C/d on Thursday.

Thinking about skipping tomorrow's run, but that's as far as I got. Any thoughts?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni you're slow 10k is 5 minutes faster than my current PR. Great running!
    @louubelle16 welcome back!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have Matt Fitzgerald's DQS app. Its been updated. Still a bit buggy but definitely more user friendly. Tracking is easier and it doesn't need to be reset each day. It crashes when I add profile information. But that's not why I use it, right.

Just saying in case anyone is interested. Think it was $1.

Bugs/crashes fixed. That was fast!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Another rest day....and after the 10 mile run, I need it. Tried foam rolling for the very first time.....OUCH!...have sore quads, lower back and hamstrings.
    Will try to catch up with all of the posts tomorrow, as long as there are not 6 pages worth...LOL!
    Plan to run either 4 or 6 miles tomorrow.