August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Sorry about the bf. I mean, sorry for him... Definitely find a running replacement when your ready! Love that you still kept caught up with the groups shenanigans!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    One thing driving me batty on the Olympics, and maybe it's just here, nothing is on one channel. So far it's been on channel 8, 24, 33, 44, 66 at all different times. I'm getting tired of looking around ha ha.

@louubelle16. They say you don't know a person until you vacation with them. Sorry it didn't work out.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 So sorry to hear about the bf. I'm recently single as well. As cliche'd as this sounds, onward and upward. :smile:
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Goal 32

1 Aout - 0
    2 Aout - 2
    3 Aout - 2
    4 Aout - 2
    5 Aout - break
    6 Aout - 1.5
    7 Aout - 1.5

= 9 miles (Target: 32)

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I hope the race goes well! I complain more about running on "loose" (aka: not pavement) terrain more than anyone I know. No one else in my running group finds it as uncomfortable or difficult. But it really drains my legs! I am sure you and your daughter will have a good time. If it's on gravel/dirt, then at least it's scenic!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    One thing driving me batty on the Olympics, and maybe it's just here, nothing is on one channel. So far it's been on channel 8, 24, 33, 44, 66 at all different times. I'm getting tired of looking around ha ha.

@louubelle16. They say you don't know a person until you vacation with them. Sorry it didn't work out.

I noticed that too. My adult children are binge watching Netflix. So I'm hunting it on the net... *Fingers crossed*.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    MandaNar wrote: »
    How in the world do you guys get past a cold while running? I can't breathe! Went the first night, but it's worse yesterday and today. I can barely breathe walking let alone more.
    Snot Rockets FTW. After my first running cold, I haven't really been bothered by 'em - they know I'm stronger than them, and I'm gonna hork out those germs/viruses on the rockets!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp
    There is nothing worse than miscaculating on the fly time and distance and having to run past your house. I made a little math error a few weeks ago on a turn arround and had to run a tenth or so past the house to get to 20 miles. I almost said $/@* it, close enough.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk

Walks are still on crutches, as ordered.

2.9 miles for the month. Sheesh, it seemed so hard. Just 2.9?

Upcoming races: ??????

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks @katharmonic and @MNLittleFinn for the kind words!

@shanaber - I wear the calf sleeve(s) while I run, and usually leave them on for a bit after the run. I've struggled with shin splints for a few years, worse in my left leg than in the right, and two tibial stress fractures (left also). Shortening my stride, stability shoes, and hip exercises have helped a lot but I still get pretty bad shin splints/calf pain that comes and goes, and the sleeves help with the pain. For a while, my shins were good enough that I didn't wear the sleeves at all. But about two months ago my left one started bothering me again, so I wear the one sleeve for longer runs (7+ miles) or fast runs. Twice now, I've felt my right shin/calf start to twinge so I wear a sleeve on that leg too for the next run or two. I guess I could always wear both instead of just the one, but they make my legs kind of hot and I don't really like to rely on the sleeve if I can avoid it. Plus it makes for a fun tan line- with all this summer running, my left shin is noticeably lighter than my right one :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    OK. I need some help figuring out my Cutback week this. Last time around it was easier, because I was running less mileage, and wasn't being so hardcore about it. I've averaged 40 mpw the first 3 weeks of this training cycle. I'm trying to figure out how to structure or not structure my cutback. Normal weeks looked like:

Mon: 4 miles
    Tues: 7-9 miles hillier
    Wed: 4-7 miles (depends on how many I ran on Tues)
    Thurs: 7-8 miles (Tempo run, Steady State Run or Cruise Intervals)
    Friday: 4 miles
    Sat: 10-14 miles
    Sun: Rest

I'm aiming for like 25-30 miles for this week, so I can still run a 9-10 mile long run and will probably be running a Tempo Run of 30-35 minutes plus W/u and C/d on Thursday.

Thinking about skipping tomorrow's run, but that's as far as I got. Any thoughts?

Wait, you've been running 6 days a week? I thought you were pretty much a newbie runner like me who's reached doing a HM. (I run 4 days a week.)

Distances in miles (as I've said previously) turn my brain to mush, but my thoughts are to just cut back to 4 days a week and run easy. It's supposed to be a cutback week. :smile:

IIRC you've been really pushing it lately. I'm totally in awe, but just a bit worried you might push it too far, old beast. xoo
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @luluinca @TravelBear87 @smillerrr21 and other newbies I'm sorry if I've missed! I hope you grow to love this running challenge community as much as I do. :heart:

@Ohhim I'm suddenly struck dumb and in awe of your Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59. Marathons and ironmans aren't on my radar, but I have some reference for a 15K and that just amazes me! I'm happy I'm doing 1:30:00!

@vandinem Oh, dear, so sorry about your sore foot! I hope it's fine after your wise plan of 2 days off. My very best wishes.

@ariceroni Wow, awesome 10K race time! Very impressed here. And damn, you look great in your pic! :smile:
    @louubelle welcome back from vacation. Uh, sorry about the relationship not working out. Sounds like not quite the match for you anyway. Hope you got some running in!

What the lovely @katharmonic said!

Speaking of apps and Olympics, I want to watch the gymnastics (and the running when it starts) but the app keeps crashing on my iPad 2. Will have to try on my iPhone 6.

I used to do gymnastics at school (got to level 5), and it gets me all nostalgic for when my back wasn't so temperamental!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. Hubby and I went searching for a new running place for me. I've been running the hilly horse trails in my neighborhood with my dog since I started and the basketball court at my gym.....LOL. I don't do treadmills, they scare me. We found a nice park where he's convinced I'll be safe in the early morning hours and so I'm intending to try that one day this week.

I also broke out my old HR monitor which I used to use for swimming. According to my last fitbit, which bit the bullet, my HR was generally in the 130 to 140 range when I felt like I was pushing my pace a little. I have no idea if that's a good target or not so I need to do some research.

Also, last week I had the miracle cold that only lasted two days but last night it came back with a cough.........ugghhh, weirdest cold I've ever had. I'll take two days and see what happens then try to get back to the gym and running.

I may have to lower my expectations this month already. :#
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    8/1.....rest day
    8/2.....3.25 miles run/ walk on treadmill
    8/3.....weights
    8/4.....2.4 miles run/ walk in the park (achy, asthmatic slog in the heat & humidity - bleah)
    8/5.....unplanned rest day: not feeling well
    8/6.....rest day <--still feeling ill :persevere:
    8/7.....yet another rest day, still sick :(

Binge watched Olympics yesterday - - I love watching just about all of the events, although swimming, track & field, & gymnastics are my favorites. I'm one of those weirdos that loves to watch the marathon (I'm guessing there might be a few more fellow marathon-watching weirdos in this forum!) I've also recently gotten into soccer thanks to my BF & his soccer loving daughters. Hoping to do some weights today - so far I'm feeling better than yesterday - then hoping to get back at running tomorrow.

@skippygirlsmom congrats to Skip on her race!

@ddm0811 I bet you'd be great at a triathlon, but I don't blame you for not wanting to swim with alligators & jellyfish! Yikes!!! @juliet3455 that was a very interesting story about how you got into swimming & then running. I swam as a kid & considered that to be my best sport, but always in a pool. I didn't do any open water swimming. Thinking of giving a sprint triathlon a try - - but I'm staying out of alligator or jellyfish infested water! Sheesh! Luckily I think the only thing I'd run into in Lake Michigan is another swimmer. Perhaps a beer bottle or two.

Goal: 40 miles
    5.64 miles done, 34.35 to go

Upcoming Races:
    Stride Against Violence 5K - 10/16/16
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    29.17% of 140 mile goal

01-Aug: 5.11 miles
    02-Aug: 5.38 miles
    03-Aug: 5.57 miles
    04-Aug: 8.41 miles