August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @Stoshew71 I was just going to ask the same thing as @lporter229... you've done a 70 mile week this week?!?! Is that a weekly PR for you or did you do 70 earlier this summer? Either way, YOU ARE A CHAMP.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    According to mutual Facebook friends? @Stoshew71 did the suckest run ever today. Not that he did a bad run but the run was brutal. Great job Stan.

Took a rest day today. Skip had a little 2 miler this morning at the local Fleet Feet so we pushed our long run out until tomorrow. She ran great, but we thought it was a 5K so she was surprised when they headed back to the finish line. She ran a 14:38 and I think was the 3rd girl in. It's was very informal the results were by bib number and everyone was a male lol. Of course she came home with new spikes :wink: but with 20% Off and my $25 loyal customer money I couldn't resist.

Thanks @skippygirlsmom Actually it wasn't too bad. The weather cooperated very well. It was pretty much cloudy all morning which kept it cooler than other weekends. I was the first one done that actually completed 2.5.

The Firecracker Chase up in TN was the suckiest run this year for me.

Congratulations to Skip.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @stoshew71 glad it wasn't too awful.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2016
    @ddmom0811 Mine was the opposite. Swimming was the first exercise I added to my life on the recommendation of my Physio-Therapist. Since I grew up around "Non Swimmable Swamp Water " I never learned to swim growing up. Took Adult Learn to Swim at the local pool 3 years ago. 9-10 months later I found out the Pool closes in September for a Maintenance Cycle. I knew I needed to find a exercise to replace my pool miles. It was to dark/dangerous to ride a bike before or after work so I started running - very slowly and poorly. When the pool re-opened I kept running on the weekend during the early morning. The next summer one of the regular swimmers in the pool challenged me to the local Sprint Triathlon, 750m Swim, 20km Bike and 5km run. That is where I got Hooked on the challenge of Triathlons. Still doing the Sprints as they are enough of a challenge. Since the swim happens in the pool no danger of gators or jellyfish.

Now I log about 200km a year of swimming.

@sunkisd1105 A treadmill ( dreadmill ) Mile is better than EasyChair/Sofa Surfing.
    I suffer on the Dreadmill as the local facility has them jammed up tight to the wall in front of the treadmill with 2 TV's mounted above your Normal Sightline so you are looking uphill to see the TV and it is to close for comfortable viewing. Also we don't have the extreme heat/humidity so outside in the Real World is just so much easier.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    Total according to Strava: 27.4
    Does Strava always round down in daily miles? The total is always higher than just adding the daily miles.

@mom3over40 I just noticed the same thing.

Adding up Activities doesn't give as high a total as the weekly/monthly total.

I wonder why.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Long run planned today....going to slow it waaay down at 70% max heart rate, hopefully 10 miles today...still very hot at Naptown....84 degrees, 91HI, and 52% humidity. Will check in later.

Achieved goal of 10 miles.....but unable to slow to 70% ...at all. First mile, averaged 75%, then next 6 miles at 80-82%; Felt good, breathing well, focused on posture, arm placement and slowing my steps. Then legs and feet became very sore and I felt like I had to pick up the pace to stretch out my hips...and I noticed that my heart rate decreased by 3%. Co-incidence? It happened on 3 other occasions in the last couple of miles...I really tried to focus on keeping the heart rate down, still at 79-83%. After completing mile 9.25, sprinted the last 3/4 mile...ended with 96% heart rate, but not really breathing hard or bent over trying to catch my breath like I usually am when going full out. ...it took forever (nearly 2.5 hours for 10 miles)....but going to try it again in a couple of weeks. Not sore at all. Even cut my recovery walk (jumping jacks, high knees, etc) short due to my husband needing me to help with the yard.

August 1---poison ivy....rest day
    August 2....;poison ivy....rest day
    August 3....dr.'s visit for the poison ivy....put on Prednisone....rest again
    August 4....4 miles....
    August 5....husband's 65th birthday....celebration with friends.
    August 6.....10 miles

Total for August.... 14 miles....goal is 85...
  • ereck44
    Orphia wrote: »
    2 Aug – 10.1 km
    4 Aug – Body Balance then 13 km
    6 August – 8.1 km
    7 August – 21.3 km

Goal: 160 km / 100 miles
    Total: 52.5 km / 32.6 miles

972F77B6-3E1E-4148-8D8E-4BD134BAC359_zpseac81yjy.jpg

Did a half marathon today just because I could. :smile:

Didn't drink or eat anything during the run. Just had my breakfast earlier, then a Winners gel before starting and an orange Gatorade at the end (never tried one before... it deliciously hit the spot!).

Beat my first HM by over 2 minutes, and this one was all hills whereas the first was all flat, so I'm very happy!

Feeling good.

@orphia...that's terrific! Great time too! Love that you pr'd even with hills.
  • ereck44
    Finally I have some time to read the thread

@Ohhim Ha I average around 146 on easy runs. I have a friend that averages 130. I wouldn't dream to average 115. For me that is like a decisive walk pace. My max is 200
    @MobyCarp Yeaaa mid run selfies are the best
    @Amandajs232 @ereck44 Most people feel fine being overweight because they are young and the body can take the abuse. Almost all people that I know that disregard their bodies and reached the age of 40 are being hit with a hammer from all sides. It all comes crashing down. The body can't keep up so you start getting knee problems, back pain just to name the mild afflictions. Sure you can turn it around but it's not a good idea to let it get there in the last place. We had a guy here that was told by his doctor at 65 that his heart was a mess and if he didn't do a change he would die. He started running. He died at at 95 last year. Hit by a truck. He ran for 30 years and was doing mountain marathons at the age of 80 with no problems (he didn't like flat races). Most people can't walk at that age.

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)

I love that story....it just shows how someone can really turn it around (their health)! But it is getting serious now....even my co-workers, who should know better, don't exercise and eat too many starches and fried foods...not to mention the sugary drinks. I have to drive by a McDonald's to go to my gym and their drive-thru has at least 10 cars waiting in that line, including at 2:30 in the afternoon.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Thanks, Erek, shanaber, and Adrian! :heart: