August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    So many PRs today, I can't even.

5k PR 37:37
    4 mile PR 48:44
    Distance PR 5 miles

Today I experienced an unusual phenomenon, something I've never experienced before while running. At the post-4-mile area, like maybe around 4.25 miles, I could no longer feel my legs. It wasn't that they were numb, it was that I was no longer aware of having to make my legs move. It was like they were moving by themselves and I had to do nothing. IT WAS GREAT. At that point I felt like I could keep going for a very long time.

Is this what happens to distance runners? Because if I can get this to keep happening, I can definitely see myself running into the double digits eventually. As it is, I'm getting closer to my 10k goal.

exercise.png

Ha, I love that feeling! I tend to get it somewhere in the 4-5.5 mile range, and then just hopes it lasts as long as possible, lol

EERRHHMMohmygosh. This sounds great! I'm SO NOT THERE. Lol! I'm so proud of myself because I ran last night ONE mile and its 100% painless. Bahah.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @RespectTheKitty - I like to call that my autopilot. For me, it tends to hit around the 3-5 mile mark.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Where is my "member" designation too?

Hey, I think I figured out this "Member" thing. No one in here is a Premium Member of MFP, right?

And @Elise4270 It shows a you with a "Member" designation. At least I see that it does.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    @MNLittleFinn If the run next weekend is the only reason you want to buy new shoes, I agree with @louubelle16 : Don't waste money on that, wear any old pair of running shoes.
    In case you are really just looking for a good excuse to buy a new pair of shoes: ;)
    I actually own a pair of Saucony Xodus 6. They are the most cushioned shoes I own (like strapping pillows under your feet...), and they are also far heavier than all my other shoes. Since I usually buy more lightweight shoes, maybe that doesn't say much. They are super comfortable to run in, once I get over their weight.
    HOWEVER - if you really are looking for shoes which will do great in serious mud, they wouldn't be my first choice. My second pair of trail shoes are the Asics FujiRunnegade; maybe it doesn't become visible in shop pitures, but they have much more "agressive" soles and much better grip on swampy mud trails.
    Regarding the size: I wear a US 8.5 in Brooks shoes, US 9 in Asics and Saucony. (while the numbers are different, they are all corresponding to 25.5cm in the different size tables for saucony, asics and brooks - so it seems my feet are always the same size, the companies just assign different numbers to the same size shoe ^^)

-- ETA: looks like your shop has sizing table for all companies as well http://www.runningwarehouse.com/CustService/sizing.html - just compare the size in cm, that always works best for me

It's kind of for the run next week, the only shoes I have that I could use are my day to day Aisics, but they are worn down enough that they won't work for offroad running. It's more of an excuse to buy new shoes. I want to get a pair of trail shoes, and this gives me a reason that my wife will let me get away with using!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @skippygirlsmom I think they'll be some conversations about her having to pass 4 wide on that last stretch. Come on girls! Runners are better than that, thin out! Make way!

@elise4270 I was screaming get the $### out of the way!!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Hey, I think I figured out this "Member" thing. No one in here is a Premium Member of MFP, right?

And @Elise4270 It shows a you with a "Member" designation. At least I see that it does.

No actual, I have premium. I've been off so I donated my time to do some beta testing and they comp a month of premium.

Suppose I just can't see my own member designation.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!
    8/12 - 3 miles - slept in a bit since I decided to run 3 this morning I think Skip wants to run long tomorrow

55 out of 110 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    @skippygirlsmom nice running. You've had great consistency with your runs!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @Stoshew71 I'm the same as @Elise4270 , I do beta testing for them as well so I'm on again off again with premium.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

No actual, I have premium. I've been off so I donated my time to do some beta testing and they comp a month of premium.

Suppose I just can't see my own member designation.

Azercord wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I'm the same as @Elise4270 , I do beta testing for them as well so I'm on again off again with premium.

OK! So I'm at a lost again.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    So sore from my strength training yesterday I almost didn't go for a run this morning. So glad I did and even though I had to be on a conference call the entire time it was a sweet, short run and so nice out!
    I can't get over how many posts there are since I checked in yesterday. I was all caught up and now I am pages behind again! WOW!

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training
    08/03.......0.00.........5.24
    08/04.......5.01.......10.25 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/05.......4.25.......14.50
    08/06.......7.09.......21.59
    08/07.......0.00.......21.59
    08/08.......4.21.......25.80 - + Agility
    08/09.......7.40.......33.20 - + Strength training + treadmill run of 3.2 miles
    08/10.......0.00.......33.20
    08/11.......5.12.......38.32 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/12.......4.25.......42.57

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    I am exhausted. Major food prep today for a funeral tomorrow. Not to mention I really need to sleep more than 5 hours a night :|

@RespectTheKitty That's awesome! I remember the first time I hit 4 miles and felt like I could run forever. I hate that I'm often just getting going and starting to feel good and I'm out of time to run ;)

Note to self: Next time we have the Perseid Meteor shower, go running at crazy time in the morning like @ddmom0811 !!!

@karllundy Thanks for the shoe info :)

@lporter229 Sounds to me like you made the right decision.

@Elise4270 In the words of Owl from Winnie the Pooh, "Chin up and all that sort of thing!" :-D I really feel for you. I know I'd go slap crazy. I was getting depressed just taking 12 days off running and I could still do low impact. You've been a trooper. Bummer about Alex too.

@shanaber Did you have to talk or just listen? I hate phone talking while running. LOL
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @5512bf - Interesting about the HR going higher as you get in better shape. I have never seen my HR go above 150. In a normal training run it stays under 120. If I am running intervals or in a race it might make it to 135-140 and I have seen an occasional 145. On the other hand my resting HR is in the low 30s and normal walking around is in the 40s... so maybe the fact that it is low to begin with has something to do with it? Based on @luluinca's formula I should be able to get to 165-170. Granted when I started running I was dieing with mt HR in the 130's and now I can function quite reasonably there.
    @luluinca Yea that's how it works. If you can hold an 11 min pace at let's say 150 bpm, with enough training you could hold an 11 min pace at 140 bpm which means you can go faster for the same effort
    This ^^^ is exactly what I have been working on. I have been using the Maffetone methodology to run at a pace to build a base and improve my speed. I am seeing results at least in being able to run faster longer at or below a HR threshold. I am now increasing my pace and adding back in speed and interval work.

@Virkati - Congratulations on the new pup! He is adorable! How old is he? My 4yo Vizsla is fast - very fast and can zoom with the best of them. It has taken time but he runs right with me now to where I can comfortably use a waist leash without worry of being dragged down the trail. Our runs, however, are NOT fast for him and don't wear him out. He will rest a bit and be ready to go again. The only way we really wear him out is to take him to the dog beach for a few hours where he can run off leash as fast as he wants.
    @katharmonic - I am so sorry about your pup not being well! And then to not be able to run or run in miserable heat is tough - as much as I would hate it, is there a gym nearby where you could jump on a treadmill and get a run in inside? I love your pup's picture too! So cute!
    @AdrianChr92 - Hope you are feeling better! I can't imagine having to drive feeling like that!
    @luluinca - don't think you are the oldest. There is a group of us 'older' runners and we need to stick together and support each other!
    @ariceroni - glad you were able to get a workout in! Hang in there, you will be back running soon!
    @Orphia _ found these yoga videos to be great as they are specifically for runners and go step by step. There are ones for pre and post run, injury prevention, hamstrings, etc...
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-pre-run
    @ddmom0811 - maybe you are seeing portions of the Perseid meteor shower that is happening this week? The peak was last night.
    5512bf wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    Women's WR 10000 meters set by Ayana of Ethiopia! 29.17.46

What's your 10 PR? Haha!

Mines 1.04.xx.xx haha!

Mines 52:19 for an official event. That is smoking fast! I can't imagine that pace for 1000m, let alone a 10k.

I've only run 1 official 10k 3 years ago, but my best time is 51:56 in a training run. Probably could get closer to 50:00 flat in a race situation but under 30 is crazy fast for a female runner. It looks like 4 of the top 5 10k times of all time were set in that final according to Wikipedia.
    Mines 59:02 - don't think I will ever run that fast! WOW!!
    @Elise4270 - Hang in there girl! You have come so far and will be hitting the roads and trails again soon and hopefully doing it with a lot less pain! I am sorry that Alex's Navy plans fell through :( Marine Corp or better yet Air Force? My husband was in the Navy and always says if he had to do it over again he would go in the Air Force.
    @ceciliaslater - so glad to see you having a good run again! YAY!
    @RespectTheKitty - congrats on the PRs... When I have a good run I don't notice my legs or the effort of my body either. It is a wonderful feeling!
    @skippygirlsmom - you are really cranking out those miles! I am pretty sure you will blow away your goal this month!
    @greenolivetree - mostly I just had to listen and make a comment every once in a while then I would have to walk for a minute so I didn't sound like I was running!

We are off to an 'Olympic Celebration' concert at the Hollywood Bowl! Should be lots of fun but a late night - hope I can get up early for my long run in the morning!

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Did my first HM (+ a bit thanks to road construction tearing up the sidewalks -_- ) training run today in 2:21:04. Pretty pathetic time wise but I finished it I guess? Haha, was grand anyway!

08/01- 7.2km
    08/02- 3.9km
    08/03- 12.5km
    08/04- Active Rest Day (taking the babies to the zoo)
    08/05- Rest Day
    08/06- Rest Day (wedding)
    08/07- 11km
    08/08- 8.8km
    08/09- 5.8km of dreadmill
    08/10- Rest Day
    08/11- Rest Day
    08/12- 24km

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Did my first HM (+ a bit thanks to road construction tearing up the sidewalks -_- ) training run today in 2:21:04. Pretty pathetic time wise but I finished it I guess? Haha, was grand anyway!

08/01- 7.2km
    08/02- 3.9km
    08/03- 12.5km
    08/05- Rest Day
    08/07- 11km
    08/08- 8.8km
    08/10- Rest Day
    08/11- Rest Day
    08/12- 24km

exercise.png

HHHMMMMM...If that's pathetic, my Current PR of 2:15:21 (not counting training runs) must just be OK...

Nice Running.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

08/01- 7.2km
    08/02- 3.9km
    08/03- 12.5km
    08/05- Rest Day
    08/07- 11km
    08/08- 8.8km
    08/10- Rest Day
    08/11- Rest Day
    08/12- 24km

exercise.png

HHHMMMMM...If that's pathetic, my Current PR of 2:15:21 (not counting training runs) must just be OK...

Nice Running.

@MNLittleFinn I read somewhere the average woman's HM time was 2 hours or just under that? Wrong? I was so sad I went over 2 hours because of that article!
  • MNLittleFinn
    @JessicaMcB that could be, but if this was your first time at that distance you're doing great. Don't sweat the average pace stuff. I only race against myself, otherwise I could get real depressed looking at average men's times in HMs. Just go for fun, especially on training runs. You'll normally go faster on race day anyway.
  • JessicaMcB
    @JessicaMcB that could be, but if this was your first time at that distance you're doing great. Don't sweat the average pace stuff. I only race against myself, otherwise I could get real depressed looking at average men's times in HMs. Just go for fun, especially on training runs. You'll normally go faster on race day anyway.

You're totally right, I just want so badly when I do my first full marathon in June to run a time that makes me feel like I 'deserve' to be there if that makes sense? I will channel your zen next weekend when I HM train again, thanks!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/05: Off, active rest day - leisurely biking and walking
    8/06: 13.1 miles, long and super easy
    8/07: 10K race (51:59 - 6.30 miles) + 2.13 mile warm up
    8/08: Off, rest day
    8/09: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/10: 5 miles
    8/11: Off, injured - 45 minutes elliptical + strength training
    8/12: Off, injured - 80 minutes elliptical
    Total: 46.7 miles

Overview:
    80 minutes on the elliptical today -_- was only planning to do 60 but the women's 10,000 meter came on and I just had to watch! The bad new is that my shin/calf/knee isn't really feeling any better today than it did yesterday. I know it has only been two days off but I want everything to be magically healed so I can just start running again!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K 51:59 - not my best by a long shot but I'll take it
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2016
    @JessicaMcB through longer the race takes, through more you get out of your entry fee B)