August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Two mornings in a row I have seen a falling star on my 4:30 run! It's been a couple years since I have seen one. They fall so fast if you don't happen to be facing that way and looking up, there's no way you'd see it. If I see some next week, I'm going to feel like Chicken Little - the sky is falling!
    @ddmom0811 That would be the The annual Perseid meteor shower, best visible over North America in the early morning hours of Aug. 11 and 12, produces more shooting stars than any annual meteor shower, according to NASA.

For anyone thinking about doing some Trail Run I stumbled onto this link from MEC.

Oh wow! That's good to know. I actually thought I saw 2 this morning, but I started doubting myself.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Aug 1-Rest Day
    Aug 2- 3.5 miles AM, 7.4 miles PM cruise intervals, 0.7 mile run with puppy
    Aug 3-5.9 miles
    Aug 4- 6 miles easy
    Aug 5- 5.5 miles speed intervals on the treadmill
    Aug 6- 10 miles easy with the group
    Aug 7- 10 miles with speed play
    Aug 8- rest day- Of course it's the nicest day we have had in weeks!
    Aug 9- 5.8 AM miles
    Aug 10- 6.1 AM miles with 4 @tempo+ 4.3 PM miles
    Aug 11-4.3 miles easy
    Aug 12-5.6 miles of treadmill sped intervals

Yesterday as I was running along I had a bit of an epiphany, sort of, kind of. I was doing what felt like my hundredth consecutive run in miserable heat, slogging along at an easy pace, carrying on my back a two pound tank top and toes squishing in my shoes. I had a 60 minute easy run on the schedule after coming off of a miserable two a day that included a gut wrenching tempo run. Making it through the run was not the issue. I can force myself to do a lot of things that I don't want to. But as I was plodding along and praying that the dark cloud above would open up, I asked myself "What am I really gaining from this run?" I understand the idea of the benefits of time on your feet through lots of slow, easy miles, but is that really what I am doing here? I can run as slow as I need to, but these runs in the heat and humidity are draining me regardless. I already have a pretty good aerobic base, so are those three extra miles going to give me some competitive edge, or am I just wasting my energy?

So I would like to ask you guys: Is it really beneficial to run lots of miles in the heat just for the sake of mileage? Are you actually doing this at the expense of recovery? I am not sure of the answer to that question, but 35 minutes into that run, I began thinking that I could use that time for better things. I cut my run short and went home and did some core work and stretching, two things I have been really lazy about doing lately just because I am feeling so zapped after my runs. And I woke up this morning feeling much better for it. Speed work was on the agenda today. I don't mind doing the short, fast intervals on the treadmill, so I got to enjoy the AC comfort of my basement rather than the suffering humidity outside. That thought alone pulled me through the workout and I really felt like I crushed it.

I think going forward as this weather continues, I am going to focus on hitting my tempo runs, my speed drills and my long run mileage. The rest of those slow, easy miles are going to be whatever I feel like doing that day. I think I would rather save some of my energy and use it in better ways. I think overall, I will feel better for it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

exercise.png
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    @lporter229

I don't think I have the magic bullet or answer to that question. I talked with my trainer 4-5 weeks ago about feeling just absolutely gassed after 12-14 miles middle distance runs or 18-20 mile long runs. He asked me how much i was drinking and if i was taking on any kind of fuel during the run. I told him I'd drink 64 oz of water or so but wasn't taking on any additional carbs in the form of gels or anything. He told me to double what I was drinking and to take 150-200 calories every 35-40 minutes when the temps were in the upper 70's with humidity. Fortunately i was running about a 3.85 mile loop around my neighborhood since it was still dark and I had the benefit of a few street lights. We live in a rural area and outside our development is 55mph county 2 lane roads which are not safe when dark outside. Since that conversation i've been able to feel a little better with my middle distance runs. It takes a few minutes to down 16-20 oz of water, 8-10 oz of Gatorade and suck down a gu or eat some fruit. I'd typically towel off and change shirts which made starting back up a bit easier since the HR typically recovered back to under 100.

The runs still typically suck, but i do feel like I am recovering better from them.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    5512bf wrote: »
    @lporter229

I don't think I have the magic bullet or answer to that question. I talked with my trainer 4-5 weeks ago about feeling just absolutely gassed after 12-14 miles middle distance runs or 18-20 mile long runs. He asked me how much i was drinking and if i was taking on any kind of fuel during the run. I told him I'd drink 64 oz of water or so but wasn't taking on any additional carbs in the form of gels or anything. He told me to double what I was drinking and to take 150-200 calories every 35-40 minutes when the temps were in the upper 70's with humidity. Fortunately i was running about a 3.85 mile loop around my neighborhood since it was still dark and I had the benefit of a few street lights. We live in a rural area and outside our development is 55mph county 2 lane roads which are not safe when dark outside. Since that conversation i've been able to feel a little better with my middle distance runs. It takes a few minutes to down 16-20 oz of water, 8-10 oz of Gatorade and suck down a gu or eat some fruit. I'd typically towel off and change shirts which made starting back up a bit easier since the HR typically recovered back to under 100.

The runs still typically suck, but i do feel like I am recovering better from them.

This is very interesting to me. I've been taking about 100 cals-worth of shot bloks or gel midway through my 10ish mile long runs in 80+ weather (along w/water of course) but maybe I need to fuel a little bit more, to counter the heat and humidity. It definitely saps the energy.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @lporter229 I'm probably the wrong person to give advise on heat but I love it. It drains all of me out, mental and physical, so I really have to push hard against that wall. The worst I've done this year was at 118 actual temp (no idea the temp of the pavement I was running on) and it was glorious. I was burnt out by the time I stopped but I knew the tank was empty and from these runs as it cools down I know my limits and how to push past them. I can say "oh it's only 90 today this should be an easy 10 miles" because I've done it at 110, I just like the mindset it gives me later on in the year. Although I won't run in the cold so maybe I'm just wired this way :smiley:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Started my 20 miler this morning with a fast training buddy outdoors but even in the trails, the 80 degree weather with high humidity had us retreating to the comfort of our health club gym treadmills at the 6 mile mark. Made it through the extra 14 while watching olympic coverage, including a bunch of 800m heats and the spectacular women's 10000m race. With the plan to finish fast, I ran the first 15 around a 10 pace, then stepped up the treadmill to 8-9.2 mph for the last 5 miles (7:30-6:30 pace), but still felt slow watching the fastest female long distance runners crush their last laps at 12.5mph. On the plus side, my heart rate during those last few miles were solidly in my marathon range (155-170), so I'm feeling a bit more confident I'll be in 3 hour/6:50 mile shape by Chicago. Still, you never know how the weather will play out.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)
    8/3 - 4 miles (w. 2 miles near threshold HR)
    8/5 - 12 miles
    8/6 - 11 miles
    8/7 - 20 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles (w. 6 at MP)
    8/9 - 11.5 miles
    8/11 - 10 miles
    8/12 - 20 miles (last 5 at MP)

Total: 106.5 miles, 4 session with MP/threshold HR/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 93.5 miles, 4 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk
    8---20 minute swim/weights
    9---35 minute swim
    11---weights
    12--- 40 minutes swimming/ pool running.

I think I've hit a bout of depression. I'm not sure why. I just want to cry. Laying out this long is just probably getting to me. Alex ran into a snag with the Navy too. So sad for him. We'll see if the army can take him.

Upcoming races:
    10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    So...Mud Run next weekend. Good excuse to get some trail shoes, right?

Looking at these: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Xodus_60/descpage-SXO6M2.html

Anyone have any thoughts on them? I've never had trail shoes before, and the price is awesome, but I want to make sure they are g2g before I buy them.

I wear size 7 in Brooks and 6.5 in Nike, so I'm hoping size 7 will work.

Don't buy new shoes for a mud run!!! I've done two and both pairs of shoes were ruined during the race. Seriously, don't waste your money, wear an old pair you wouldn't be sad to see the end of.
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Logging another 3.05 miles for August.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    What is up with this? I post my runs now and it says it won't appear until its approved?

Maybe it's a new MFP filter. You are owner of threads that get a lot of feedback. Perhaps they are trying to make sure your not string it up? You could always ask them. I'm not seeing it, least I'm not seeing it yet. It may be rolling out for all of us.

Where is my "member" designation too?

I have an email to MFP asking what's up. I'm still waiting.
    I managed to finally post my run after many many attempts. Notice the space in that last number? Believe it or not, that's what I narrowed it down to. That number. With a space, no problem. Without it, rejected.

Spoiler alertt!!!!
    Watching the Olympics T&F. Good night women's 10k 29:17 holy crap! She beat the men's good medal time from the London Olympics.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Women's WR 10000 meters set by Ayana of Ethiopia! 29.17.46

What's your 10 PR? Haha!

Mines 1.04.xx.xx haha!

I actually saw this. They have the Olympics on in the break room and I caught the end of the women's 10K. That and the last set of the men's 2-man beach vollyball against the Italians.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    So many PRs today, I can't even.

5k PR 37:37
    4 mile PR 48:44
    Distance PR 5 miles

Today I experienced an unusual phenomenon, something I've never experienced before while running. At the post-4-mile area, like maybe around 4.25 miles, I could no longer feel my legs. It wasn't that they were numb, it was that I was no longer aware of having to make my legs move. It was like they were moving by themselves and I had to do nothing. IT WAS GREAT. At that point I felt like I could keep going for a very long time.

Is this what happens to distance runners? Because if I can get this to keep happening, I can definitely see myself running into the double digits eventually. As it is, I'm getting closer to my 10k goal.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    So many PRs today, I can't even.

5k PR 37:37
    4 mile PR 48:44
    Distance PR 5 miles

Today I experienced an unusual phenomenon, something I've never experienced before while running. At the post-4-mile area, like maybe around 4.25 miles, I could no longer feel my legs. It wasn't that they were numb, it was that I was no longer aware of having to make my legs move. It was like they were moving by themselves and I had to do nothing. IT WAS GREAT. At that point I felt like I could keep going for a very long time.

Is this what happens to distance runners? Because if I can get this to keep happening, I can definitely see myself running into the double digits eventually. As it is, I'm getting closer to my 10k goal.

exercise.png

Ha, I love that feeling! I tend to get it somewhere in the 4-5.5 mile range, and then just hopes it lasts as long as possible, lol
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    So...Mud Run next weekend. Good excuse to get some trail shoes, right?

Looking at these: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Xodus_60/descpage-SXO6M2.html

Anyone have any thoughts on them? I've never had trail shoes before, and the price is awesome, but I want to make sure they are g2g before I buy them.

I wear size 7 in Brooks and 6.5 in Nike, so I'm hoping size 7 will work.
    @MNLittleFinn If the run next weekend is the only reason you want to buy new shoes, I agree with @louubelle16 : Don't waste money on that, wear any old pair of running shoes.
    In case you are really just looking for a good excuse to buy a new pair of shoes: ;)
    I actually own a pair of Saucony Xodus 6. They are the most cushioned shoes I own (like strapping pillows under your feet...), and they are also far heavier than all my other shoes. Since I usually buy more lightweight shoes, maybe that doesn't say much. They are super comfortable to run in, once I get over their weight.
    HOWEVER - if you really are looking for shoes which will do great in serious mud, they wouldn't be my first choice. My second pair of trail shoes are the Asics FujiRunnegade; maybe it doesn't become visible in shop pitures, but they have much more "agressive" soles and much better grip on swampy mud trails.
    Regarding the size: I wear a US 8.5 in Brooks shoes, US 9 in Asics and Saucony. (while the numbers are different, they are all corresponding to 25.5cm in the different size tables for saucony, asics and brooks - so it seems my feet are always the same size, the companies just assign different numbers to the same size shoe ^^)

-- ETA: looks like your shop has sizing table for all companies as well http://www.runningwarehouse.com/CustService/sizing.html - just compare the size in cm, that always works best for me
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    1 Aout - 0
    2 Aout - 2
    3 Aout - 2
    4 Aout - 2
    5 Aout - break
    6 Aout - 1.5
    7 Aout - 1.5
    8 Aout - 1, and 34 minnute FitnessBlender video
    9 Aout - 2
    10 Aout - 2

= 14 miles (Target: 32)

I'm trying. Two miles is so hard for me you guys are all so advanced!

exercise.png

Love my little ticker thing...

Tu fais bien!!! :smiley:

Merci!! <3
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    1 Aout - 0
    2 Aout - 2
    3 Aout - 2
    4 Aout - 2
    5 Aout - break
    6 Aout - 1.5
    7 Aout - 1.5
    8 Aout - 1, and 34 minnute FitnessBlender video
    9 Aout - 2
    10 Aout - 2
    11 Aout - 1, plus played a game with a basketball *terribly but with lots of effort* with husband 25 minutes.

= 15 miles (Target: 32)

Gah.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    The women's 10k race was insane. I'm not the one to jump to conclusions, but beating a 20 year old record set by people that were on a state wide doping program by 30 seconds sounds shady. I wonder how long till the organizers made her pee in a cup after the race. I'll need to rewatch that race. I'm pretty sure she also broke the 5k world olympic record in her splits.

Edit: She did. The olympic record was 14:40 by Romanian Gabriela Szabo. Today Ayana ran 14:30 in her splits.

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05
    August 7 - 10.4km - Long(ish)Run/6:17
    August 8 - 3.6 km - Easy/6:00
    August 9 - 6.0 km - Easy/6:07
    August 10- 10.2km - Speedwork/4:20
    August 11- 6.0 km - Tempo/4:45
    August 12- 8.0 km - Easy/5:55

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Virkati Dawwww! What a beautiful dog. Thanks for sharing the photos. He looks like he loves to run far and fast :)

@juliet3455 That sounds like an awesome place to run! And a chance to refill cold water on the run, what a nice luxury.

@ddmom0811 That's awesome that you saw falling stars, and not only once, but twice!

@louubelle16 Lol, yes, this thread is definitely the place to go if you want to chat about poop :D
    Great job on sticking to your training plan!

@Elise4270 Sorry you are feeling down, and that your son's Navy plans don't work! I hope everything will be looking up for both of you soon.

@Orphia I usually do the "yoga for runners" from the Sworkit app; in a slightly modified version. Although I don't know if that routine is also available in the free version, but you could have a look. (I got the pro version of the app a long time ago - now they changed to some subscription model, I think :( ) Other than that, I also tried an app called "yoga studio"; they have some nice yoga-for-runners routines of different length as well. But I don't like those as much - mostly due to the fact that the app voice really grates on my nerves (not sure how to describe it - it's just too nice&sweet&soft&relaxed, rather than sounding like a normal person). I know lots of people who like it, so getting annoying buy the nice lady is just me being weird ^^
    And a youtube video I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IlzyuRQwsc