Dark chocolate do people know why?

Options
Before I start I have a confession I'm no dietitian or fitness guru but, recently I've started to take my nutrition seriously and by doing this I now understand why I need to eat or supplement certain things. I look back and was amazed at how much *kitten* I bought into. Testosterone boosters=*kitten* BCAA not needed if your diet is high in animal protein. And all other heavily marketed supplements that the companies sell. If you want to find out if I'm chatting *kitten* please look through examine.com

Anyway dark chocolate do people actually know why it's good for them? I've recently started having 2 squares of 85% cocoa after my workout with a protein shake and the looks I get is amazing. Just got me thinking do people actually know what is in certain foods and why they take certain supplements. I don't have the time nor the patience to explain myself in the gym but like to vent it here.

Please feel free to say why you take certain supplements. I'm curious.

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Why not? For me it triggers migraines.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You don't need animal protein to get BCAA, there are plant based sources.
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You don't need animal protein to get BCAA, there are plant based sources.

True, what I said was if you eat enough animal protein you don't need to supplement with BCAA.
  • chrisleyland314
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    It's a great antioxidant and good quality dark chocolate contains high levels of flavanols which are credited with helping to protect against blood clots and reducing LDL (bad cholesterol). Early experimentation is proving that dark chocolate also improves blood flow to the brain and that cocoa with high levels of flavanols can help to restore the balance of mood enhancing chemicals potentially meaning that it can be beneficial in the treatment of depression, anxiety and even dementia - as I said this is still early days in regards to the experimentation being proven and it is only related to good quality, high cocoa content chocolate and doesn't encourage eating shitloads! 2 squares a day? Why not??? ;)

Lol you obviously know why to eat it lol! Unless you googled it. But id like to think not ;)
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I eat 500 calories of chocolate most days

I like it!
  • chrisleyland314
    Options
    @williammuney If it's accounted for why not?! Lol
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I eat it because if I eat milk chocolate I won't stop at 1 square. I love the taste, though it took a while to get used to it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to the gym the thing to drink was dirty water in mason jars. I assume it was a cold steeped tea of some kind. *rolls eyes*. Gym rats do look over each other's shoulders and I could see that crowd turning their noses up at real chocolate.
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate on a daily basis. I could be addicted. Probably, but that's an addiction I am very happy with. Oh, yum, chocolate makes me satisfied, haha.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do not know why people voluntarily eat dark chocolate. That *kitten* is vile.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What has been touted as the superfood quality of dark chocolate is actually destroyed in the cooking process. It is not superior to milk chocolate. It has fewer calories due to less sugar and that's about it. Eat it if you like it but it's not better for you nor does it have any superfood benefit.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/28/410313446/why-a-journalist-scammed-the-media-into-spreading-bad-chocolate-science
  • chrisleyland314
    Options
    @bower47 I'm reluctant to believe that I'm sorry, as no actual studies have been quoted and its journalism. I base my decisions on scientific research.

http://examine.com/supplements/Cocoa+Extract/
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Before I start I have a confession I'm no dietitian or fitness guru but, recently I've started to take my nutrition seriously and by doing this I now understand why I need to eat or supplement certain things. I look back and was amazed at how much *kitten* I bought into. Testosterone boosters=*kitten* BCAA not needed if your diet is high in animal protein. And all other heavily marketed supplements that the companies sell. If you want to find out if I'm chatting *kitten* please look through examine.com

Anyway dark chocolate do people actually know why it's good for them? I've recently started having 2 squares of 85% cocoa after my workout with a protein shake and the looks I get is amazing. Just got me thinking do people actually know what is in certain foods and why they take certain supplements. I don't have the time nor the patience to explain myself in the gym but like to vent it here.

Please feel free to say why you take certain supplements. I'm curious.

I think you like Dark Chocolate and *kitten*.... took me a minute but I figured they (MFP) used that as a substitute :)
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've always loved dark chocolate way more than milk. It's just richer and more satisfying and doesn't leave me feeling icky afterwards. It's just an extra plus that it also has good health benefits too. I love having a square or two of ghirardelli dark chocolate after dinner