Dark chocolate do people know why?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the taste of it (as I do), it will boost your dopamine (as a lot of things do). I guess different people have different taste. I love the taste of dark chocolate. And that's reason enough to eat it.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Eating one or two squares of a good dark chocolate did wonders for helping me fight more dangerous cravings in the past. I need to get back in that habit.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Something something antioxidants something something. I have no idea what the quality of the research is that underpins the idea that chocolate is good for you. I do know a lot of nutritional "facts" are based on bad research (or none) so I don't credit them unless I have read up on them from a reliable source, which I haven't in this case.

Really, I don't think it's necessary to do a literature review every time you're going to have a snack. Eat a varied diet with lots of fruit and veg and your body will pick out what it needs.

Not trying to undermine your point of view but, do you not think it's beneficial to know how certain food can benefit you in different ways. Maximising the content of your diet with food that has extra health benefits is a bit of a no brainer in my opinion.

Oh, absolutely, I'm actually very interested in nutrition, but I feel the specific benefits of a lot of "superfoods" are hugely overstated, mostly in order to sell something. It's like the difference between standard unleaded fuel and the premium formula - which is to say, minimal, and usually not worth the extra cash. Whereas people often talk as if not eating heavily marketed "superfoods" was like putting diesel in a petrol engine.

Most of the benefits in goji berries and flax seed can be got from a normal varied diet, and much less expensively, is what I'm saying. And sometimes it's just not worth the effort of reading up on research for the latest miracle food.
  • MissLuanaT
    MissLuanaT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Due to being type two diabetic, I eat dark chocolate because it's the lesser of 2 evils for me. One, two squares at the most about 3 days a week. I get the Ghirardelli 73% cacao. Anymore cacao than that doesn't taste good...to me at least.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate because it tastes good and isn't super sweet like milk chocolate. Don't really care if it's good for me or not... I always buy the Lindt 90%
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Before I start I have a confession I'm no dietitian or fitness guru but, recently I've started to take my nutrition seriously and by doing this I now understand why I need to eat or supplement certain things. I look back and was amazed at how much *kitten* I bought into. Testosterone boosters=*kitten* BCAA not needed if your diet is high in animal protein. And all other heavily marketed supplements that the companies sell. If you want to find out if I'm chatting *kitten* please look through examine.com

Anyway dark chocolate do people actually know why it's good for them? I've recently started having 2 squares of 85% cocoa after my workout with a protein shake and the looks I get is amazing. Just got me thinking do people actually know what is in certain foods and why they take certain supplements. I don't have the time nor the patience to explain myself in the gym but like to vent it here.

Please feel free to say why you take certain supplements. I'm curious.

i read dark chocolate is high in antioxidants . Also for me is low carb and high in good fats, but i eat 100% cacao when i have it
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    As if we needed another reason to eat chocolate lol

I had totally stopped eating chocolate as part of my diet to lose weight and be more healthy in general, but iv decided to go vegetarian, gradually. So I was reading about how your iron levels n zinc etc can suffer while on a veggie diet, but chocolate has a lot of it plus antioxidants and other good stuff. I like the 70% dark chocolate

Can't believe iv found a good reason to include it in my diet happy days :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I do not know why people voluntarily eat dark chocolate. That *kitten* is vile.

I'm always asking why/how people can stop at just 1-2 microscopic squares of chocolate, i didn't think about dark chocolate. I have no problem stopping after 1 piece :sick:

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I do not know why people voluntarily eat dark chocolate. That *kitten* is vile.

I'm always asking why/how people can stop at just 1-2 microscopic squares of chocolate, i didn't think about dark chocolate. I have no problem stopping after 1 piece :sick:
    Not every square of dark chocolate is "microscopic". My go-to dark chocolate bars have 38 g or 40 g servings. Those are not "microscopic".
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat like 4 squares. Sometimes 8. On occasion I have had 12 throughout the day.
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    As if we needed another reason to eat chocolate lol

I had totally stopped eating chocolate as part of my diet to lose weight and be more healthy in general, but iv decided to go vegetarian, gradually. So I was reading about how your iron levels n zinc etc can suffer while on a veggie diet, but chocolate has a lot of it plus antioxidants and other good stuff. I like the 70% dark chocolate

Can't believe iv found a good reason to include it in my diet happy days :)

Ha ha but it's still chocolate Kate a bar a day will NOT keep the doctor away haha!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    100% Cacao fan checking in.
    I don't give a damn if it gives you antioxidants and zinc, or herpes and turbocancer. It's delicious and works in my macro allotment, until I go ZC.
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You actually think anyone in your gym cares about you eating 2 pieces of chocolate...actually what you doing eating in the gym ..that's unneccessary ...eat it when you leave

:bigsmile:

To clarify I eat it in the changing room before I either use the sauna or get showered before I make my way home a 20min drive at peak times. By the time I get home I'm nearly fainting with hunger with being on a diet. I don't stand around the leg press eating chocolate lol

This is the only place I eat my dark chocolate.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    mmn chocolate :smiley:
    and who cares what people think, you do YOU! :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I watched a programme on cocoa growers and chocolate producers and this guy who does it for a living basically said people who eat chocolate generally do it wrong

What you should do is break off a small piece, like 5mm and put it in the centre of your tongue and allow it to melt ...no chewing, close your eyes and concentrate on the different "notes"

It actually works ..if you have time...and you find that 1 or 2 pieces of chocolate (like the squares you get in bars) will last 30 minutes and you'll not want any more

Of course I still snarfle sometimes, but it's so much nicer when you savour ...72% dark chocolate and a large glass of Malbec ...mmm
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate makes me so sad. And then I have to eat a whole bar of milk chocolate to take the sadness away.
    Dark chocolate is what I imagine the desserts to be like in hell.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's tasty, there's some really good dark chocolate out there and you're all missing out! It has so much more depth of flavour than milk or white chocolate. Also less sugar, few calories, that's always good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow I completely agree get the basics down first but I'm consistently hitting my macros and micronutrients so I'm now looking into more ways to add extra nutrients to my diet. But that's me, and like you say most people aren't getting the right calorie balance but to be ignorant to them (for want of a better word) closes off potentially more health benefits.

There's diminishing returns on nutrition all the way to "Doesn't benefit you at all anymore and you just pee it out". Like just going all out on protein won't give you more gains after a certain point, micros and antioxidants and all that won't give you any benefits anymore above what your body can use. I even remember reading some antioxidants in excess may get metabolized to the exact opposite.
    Also, micros aren't like macros, if you get more than your body needs it can't store them except for the fat soluble ones, which in turn if you store up too much you get toxic effects from those.
    So, more isn't always good and at best it does nothing for you while at worst it's actively hurting you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's tasty, there's some really good dark chocolate out there and you're all missing out! It has so much more depth of flavour than milk or white chocolate. Also less sugar, few calories, that's always good.

I have to agree, I used to only like milk chocolate but once I got on to dark chocolate the milk chocolate just tastes too sweet and milky. Also I only can eat a little bit of the dark at a time so its a great way to feed my choccie cravings and not too sore on the calories :smiley: