• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I like these. They taste good:

0isucxv0sshx.jpg
  • kizanne1
    kizanne1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is also a pre and probiotic if uncooked. Plus the antioxidants. Plus a nice little treat.

I too mix it into my intake. I agree try to increase the quality of foods.
  • davidm2020
    davidm2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard that Dark Chocolate is good for our Heart.
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @stevencloser
    interesting,I'll look into which antioxidants your referring to I know cinnamon can do this. But on the whole, the point I was making do you agree/disagree? Which was why ignore potential health benefits foods can give you?

As you may do you hear, supplement or herb or fruit can potentially decrease xyz and increase xyz. You then research the claims yourself and make your own decision based on the studies the credibility of the lab/dr.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I looked into a lot of health claims made about different foods in the years I've been on this site.
    Most were tiny at best and not worth the extra calories you'd eat or the huge dietary change you'd have to go through.
    For example, caffeine has often been shown to increase metabolism. Yay. However you'd have to drink over 6 cups of coffee per day to get even 100 calories extra (or even more depending on the study), that's just not worth it and there's potential negative effects from having that much caffeine on a daily basis.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Does anyone eat 99%? Sometimes I buy the Lindt one and eat the whole bar. I've gotten used to the taste and if you dip it in a little coffee it gets all melty. It's definitely extreme tho
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Highest I had was 90%. I like it. Hmm I'm going to get groceries in a bit, maybe I'll get some.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I grew up only eating dark chocolate (parents were German) and have always preferred it over milk chocolate. I am more likely to overeat milk chocolate than dark chocolate, although the real predictor is how much sugar it contains not whether it's milk or dark. On this topic I agree whole heartedly with @stevencloser, that whenever I've looked for studies to support some food/health claim (turmeric, tart cherry juice, resveratrol etc), I've been underwhelmed by the results.

Eta: As with investing, diversification is the only free lunch.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You have me craving dark chocolate now. I'm a huge chocolate snob -it has to be at least 85% cacao or I won't eat it (if you know of any good dark chocolates, tell me! I must have 3-4 different chocolate bars open right now). Often, I only need about 20-30g of chocolate (typically less than 200 calories of chocolate), 30-60 minutes to savor it, and I am a happy camper.

Dark chocolate better fits into my macros than milk chocolate (I have issues getting to my fat goal), is lower in net carbs than milk chocolate (less insulin for me to take because of the lower sugar content and higher fiber content), and often helps me reach my iron goals (a lot of the dark chocolate I like provides 20-40% of my iron RDA). When it's helping to provide key macro and micronutrients, I don't view dark chocolate as "junk food" but instead a "healthy" food that just so happens to be delicious and is something I want to eat (yay! CICO and IIFYM :smiley: ).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kizanne1 wrote: »
    Dark chocolate is also a pre and probiotic if uncooked. Plus the antioxidants. Plus a nice little treat.

Uncooked chocolate? Is that just eating raw cocoa nibs?
  • auddii
    Options
    And I still miss the chocolate weightloss claims (but still a good point about research reporting in the media):

http://io9.gizmodo.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800
  • arditarose
    Options
    Highest I had was 90%. I like it. Hmm I'm going to get groceries in a bit, maybe I'll get some.

There's a warning on the package, basically for stupid people lol. It is intense but the whole bar has less than 300 calories. I think the package says 220 but that is one thing I have found to weigh more, by a long shot, than what the package says.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    kizanne1 wrote: »

Uncooked chocolate? Is that just eating raw cocoa nibs?

Pretty much. Raw cacao nibs are like raw tree bark in taste (I was a risky child), really dry and a bit woodsy.
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    As if we needed another reason to eat chocolate lol

I had totally stopped eating chocolate as part of my diet to lose weight and be more healthy in general, but iv decided to go vegetarian, gradually. So I was reading about how your iron levels n zinc etc can suffer while on a veggie diet, but chocolate has a lot of it plus antioxidants and other good stuff. I like the 70% dark chocolate

Can't believe iv found a good reason to include it in my diet happy days :)

Ha ha but it's still chocolate Kate a bar a day will NOT keep the doctor away haha!

But a couple of squares now and then seems to be good for you. Better than having a cream cake for dessert lol I look at dark choc as one of the few healthier foods that actually tastes pretty good
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I looked into a lot of health claims made about different foods in the years I've been on this site.
    Most were tiny at best and not worth the extra calories you'd eat or the huge dietary change you'd have to go through.
    For example, caffeine has often been shown to increase metabolism. Yay. However you'd have to drink over 6 cups of coffee per day to get even 100 calories extra (or even more depending on the study), that's just not worth it and there's potential negative effects from having that much caffeine on a daily basis.

So by that reckoning my metabolism is 150 calories higher

Awesome
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The thing most Americans don't get is how awful Hershey bars taste to European palates

That stuff is vile
  • arditarose
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    The thing most Americans don't get is how awful Hershey bars taste to European palates

That stuff is vile

It is very poopy I agree.

Though I do kind of like a crappy american chocolate bar pre-workout.
  • auddii
    Options

That stuff is vile

We had so many aero bars while in Scotland.

Hm, now that I think about it, this confounds the weight loss after vacation. Was it the tea, full scottish breakfasts, or was it the aerobars?

Maybe I need to do more research into this...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

That stuff is vile

oh, come on... it's not THAT bad.

I'm going to generalize and say: It's not like American's think it's excellent chocolate either. It's cheap generic chocolate. Most Americans don't just go "i want a hershey's bar" and rush to the store. And from what i've seen people eat way less plain chocolate and far more candy like reeses, milky way, snickers, 3 musketeers, etc. If people go out of their way to buy plain chocolate we generally buy the *good* stuff like Ghirardelli or Lindt or Godiva or other more expensive store brands. I personally know very few people who eat plain chocolates other than for christmas or valentines.

p.s. since moving to denmark i think my chocolate consumption has quadrupled! I can't get enough of the damn marabou and ritter bars. ;)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I prefer dark chocolate and eat it because it is yummy. I don't really care about the nutrition aspect. But my limit is 85% dark....after that it gets too bitter for me.