Clean Eating DOES make a difference

Options

Replies

• ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i think you look amazing! keep it up girl!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and finally tracking correctly to get a better reading of where you are heading. Clean eating for most is fruits veggies and natural or organic meat. No processed food whatsoever, now that's what most people consider clean eating.

You have a 90/10 clean eating, which is just as good, I think people are bothered that you just said clean eating really works, and you are not 100% clean or they are bothered because it insinuates that they don't eat clean. it just seems more like a touchy subject for most.

Yes my eyebrow raised when you listed the protein bar and the chip or popcorn cant remember what it was, because then it is no longer 100% clean, but you did correct and say you are more a 90/10, but that was probably 4 or 5 messages too late for some...lol

I however don't feel you are eating enough but you have to do what works for you.

I follow a Paleo lifestyle, no processed food. It is going good. I dare not say clean eating, lol.

Goodluck.

No, people are bothered by the comment that eating clean makes a difference to weight loss. If eating clean makes you feel better, that's fantastic. If paleo makes you feel better, also fantastic. Whatever plan you follow, if you're happy with it, that's wonderful and it's all unicorns and rainbows and puppies and flowers.

But don't say that it's necessary to lose weight. Because there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of counter-examples on MFP alone.

OP (congrats, by the way OP) said herself that before eating clean she wasn't tracking properly, and now she is. So there were two major changes in her diet - eating clean *and* consistently eating below her calorie goal. One of these things is done by every successful person on MFP. The other isn't. There's only one logical conclusion about clean eating - it isn't necessary to lose weight.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I'll just eat it like this:
    tumblr_madq5btWBv1qdlh1io1_r1_250.gif

OMG! You had me in tears!!!!!

Haha, I love that llama. That's exactly the way my mouth goes when I eat a hotpocket and forget to wait until it cools.

Yeah, those darn hot pockets cause the same thing for me. The gif + the hot pocket statement caused me to laugh out loud at my desk in my eerily quiet office where I'm supposed to be processing traffic citations instead of reading debates on MFP.

And OP, whether it's clean, IIFYM, or whatever term is appropriate, I'm glad you found something that works for you. Your pictures look great. Your "typical day" seems a little low calorie-wise to me, but I haven't gone through your diary to see what the actual numbers are. Good for you for your success though.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Not because of IIFYM, itself, but because any efforts made to eat "clean" is ridiculed by it's followers.

Categorically false. I've literally never, ever seen that, ever. Not even once. Not on this forum, anyway.

What I do see is IIFYM followers desperately trying to educate people who decide to "eat clean" because they feel it's necessary or enormously beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods. That's what we are largely trying to combat.

But is it wrong for them to think that its beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods? Or like practicing some self control will deprive you for life.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I hope people mean that "eating clean" makes them feel better. There really isn't that much you can over-do because you really don't want to over-eat if you are eating clean - I know I wouldn't. But people do not have to "eat clean" to lose weight. Congrats to those who choose to take as many processed foods out of their lives. But that's just something else this site runs in the ground, but comparing it to people who don't do it.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My perspective -

Eat clean, eat dirty, eat meat, eat veges, eat cooked, eat raw, eat whatever the heck you want to - just don't tell me that your food is inherently *better* than mine in some nebulous way, and we'll have no beef. That's why I like IIFYM. If you pay attention, you'll see that they don't jump on how anyone eats - until someone says that some food or other is inherently bad.

If you are eating perfectly clean and organic with 0 processed food, and you are enjoying it and succeeding, an IIFYM follower will cheer you on. If you then say that your success is purely down to the particular foods you eat, or worse - that no one can succeed unless they do the same thing, they will point out the error of your ways in no uncertain terms.

:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Not because of IIFYM, itself, but because any efforts made to eat "clean" is ridiculed by it's followers.

Categorically false. I've literally never, ever seen that, ever. Not even once. Not on this forum, anyway.

What I do see is IIFYM followers desperately trying to educate people who decide to "eat clean" because they feel it's necessary or enormously beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods. That's what we are largely trying to combat.

But is it wrong for them to think that its beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods? Or like practicing some self control will deprive you for life.

If cutting out everything but a certain type of food is exhibiting control does that mean not cutting things out but learning how to eat them in proper serving sizes/moderation is super control?
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Despite what my username implies, I generally avoid controversy, but I feel I have to intervene. The pretzel burger doesn't look good to me. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but that's how I feel, and my feelings are just as valid as anyone's.

OP, I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

Get out.

I'll get my coat. :sad:

Wait, wait! What about Krispy Kreme burgers? Is that better? Throw me a bone here!
    Krispy Kreme doughnuts are perfection as is...I would eat one sandwiched in between two others tho...

Dunkin Donuts has a donut sandwich now. It's no Krispy Kreme but it's rad.
    Hmmmm...the last time I got a DD it was stale...but a sandwich...that could be interesting!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

No, it's not wrong to do that for yourself. If that's what you want to do, great.

But they don't stop there. They tell everyone that they must eat clean too. And there is a sizable portion of the population that simply cannot do that. So instead of getting 95% of the benefits through just losing weight, they get absolutely nothing because they can't stick to the horribly restrictive 'clean' dogma, fail spectacularly, and go back into the downward spiral of weight gain and ill-health.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

The problem lies in them trying to educate others with misinformation, not with their personal beliefs.

Plus for some people, like me, food is one of the spices of life.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options

I'll just eat it like this:
    tumblr_madq5btWBv1qdlh1io1_r1_250.gif

OMG! You had me in tears!!!!!

Haha, I love that llama. That's exactly the way my mouth goes when I eat a hotpocket and forget to wait until it cools.

Yeah, those darn hot pockets cause the same thing for me. The gif + the hot pocket statement caused me to laugh out loud at my desk in my eerily quiet office where I'm supposed to be processing traffic citations instead of reading debates on MFP.

Teehee, sorry.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

No, it's not wrong to do that for yourself. If that's what you want to do, great.

But they don't stop there. They tell everyone that they must eat clean too. And there is a sizable portion of the population that simply cannot do that. So instead of getting 95% of the benefits through just losing weight, they get absolutely nothing because they can't stick to the horribly restrictive 'clean' dogma, fail spectacularly, and go back into the downward spiral of weight gain and ill-health.

And thats cool if the "clean' eaters keep it to themselves. But.. IIFYMers... well.. ya know.. they gotta educate the public.
    Its not so much that I want to defend all clean eaters as much as I feel a need to point out the double standard with this. IIFYMers point their fingers at Clean eaters for doing the same thing that they themselves do. It's 2 extremes.
  • karu4link2479
    Options
    First: I am referring to the burger at Wendy's. It's a burger patty on a pretzel roll bun with your typical veggies (if you're down with that) cheese, and a sweet mustard sauce. It was amazeballs. Some things look good and don't live up to the hype but this! I ate that sucker and then curled up around my pillow and slept the sleep of the truly content. The bread was so nice; a nice crisp outside and then a chewy fluffy inside. So good.

web_WendysPretzelJax.jpg

STAHP. Why? That looks so good... xD

To the OP, congrats! You look fantastic. And regardless of whether it was clean eating or caloric deficit that made you lose weight, you still lost the weight. Do whatever works for you! :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And thats cool if the "clean' eaters keep it to themselves. But.. IIFYMers... well.. ya know.. they gotta educate the public.
    Its not so much that I want to defend all clean eaters as much as I feel a need to point out the double standard with this. IIFYMers point their fingers at Clean eaters for doing the same thing that they themselves do. It's 2 extremes.

The "clean eaters" tell people that they NEED to do something specific to be healthy and lose weight.

The rest of us are telling people that's a lie.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I have never, never, seen an IIFYMer criticize the food in someone's diary.

They just don't like it when people insist that the only way to be healthy is eat perfectly clean, or to eat no carbs, or to eat low-fat, or any other number of overly restrictive diets. They feel, quite correctly, that excessively restrictive diets lead to failure for a large number of people. Moderation and portion control to fit the foods we love into our diets is important, and leads to a sustainable diet plan - whether it be 100% 'clean' or 100% 'dirty'.

Could there be some health gains through eating 100% clean? Probably some small benefit, I'm sure. But compared to just finding a sustainable diet plan that takes you to, and keeps you at, a healthy weight, these gains are minimal.

By focusing on the diminishing returns of a difficult practice like clean eating, it greatly reduces the chances of attaining the much simpler goal of just reaching a healthy weight.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

The "clean eaters" tell people that they NEED to do something specific to be healthy and lose weight.

So when other "clean" eaters post things like "Hey, looking for friends that eat clean.." IIFYMers don't say a word? Because technically they aren't telling anyone that they need to do anything. Or do they all go to that thread and post pics of poptarts?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So when other "clean" eaters post things like "Hey, looking for friends that eat clean.." IIFYMers don't say a word? Because technically they aren't telling anyone that they need to do anything. Or do they all go to that thread and post pics of poptarts?

Generally not, no.
  • splashtree1
    Options
    Just back to workout and eating more proteins to strenghten a bit,basicly i eat everything and fat as well i workout so i burn
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Generally not, no.
    LOL COME ON, MAN!
  • shane1re
    shane1re Posts: 3
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I don't understand why all these people are critiquing your word choice. You ate better, you worked out, and you lost weight! Who cares if the terminology is correct? Bravo. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!