Clean Eating DOES make a difference

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Not because of IIFYM, itself, but because any efforts made to eat "clean" is ridiculed by it's followers.

Categorically false. I've literally never, ever seen that, ever. Not even once. Not on this forum, anyway.

What I do see is IIFYM followers desperately trying to educate people who decide to "eat clean" because they feel it's necessary or enormously beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods. That's what we are largely trying to combat.

But is it wrong for them to think that its beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods? Or like practicing some self control will deprive you for life.

No, it's not wrong to do that for yourself. If that's what you want to do, great.

But they don't stop there. They tell everyone that they must eat clean too. And there is a sizable portion of the population that simply cannot do that. So instead of getting 95% of the benefits through just losing weight, they get absolutely nothing because they can't stick to the horribly restrictive 'clean' dogma, fail spectacularly, and go back into the downward spiral of weight gain and ill-health.

And thats cool if the "clean' eaters keep it to themselves. But.. IIFYMers... well.. ya know.. they gotta educate the public.
    Its not so much that I want to defend all clean eaters as much as I feel a need to point out the double standard with this. IIFYMers point their fingers at Clean eaters for doing the same thing that they themselves do. It's 2 extremes.

The "clean eaters" tell people that they NEED to do something specific to be healthy and lose weight.

The rest of us are telling people that's a lie.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

So when other "clean" eaters post things like "Hey, looking for friends that eat clean.." IIFYMers don't say a word? Because technically they aren't telling anyone that they need to do anything. Or do they all go to that thread and post pics of poptarts?

Generally not, no.
    LOL COME ON, MAN!

The worst you will see is a Windex joke. I'd take that over wishing cancer on people most any day.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Not because of IIFYM, itself, but because any efforts made to eat "clean" is ridiculed by it's followers.

Categorically false. I've literally never, ever seen that, ever. Not even once. Not on this forum, anyway.

What I do see is IIFYM followers desperately trying to educate people who decide to "eat clean" because they feel it's necessary or enormously beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods. That's what we are largely trying to combat.

But is it wrong for them to think that its beneficial to cut out "dirty" foods? Or like practicing some self control will deprive you for life.

No, it's not wrong to do that for yourself. If that's what you want to do, great.

But they don't stop there. They tell everyone that they must eat clean too. And there is a sizable portion of the population that simply cannot do that. So instead of getting 95% of the benefits through just losing weight, they get absolutely nothing because they can't stick to the horribly restrictive 'clean' dogma, fail spectacularly, and go back into the downward spiral of weight gain and ill-health.

And thats cool if the "clean' eaters keep it to themselves. But.. IIFYMers... well.. ya know.. they gotta educate the public.
    Its not so much that I want to defend all clean eaters as much as I feel a need to point out the double standard with this. IIFYMers point their fingers at Clean eaters for doing the same thing that they themselves do. It's 2 extremes.

I have never, never, seen an IIFYMer criticize the food in someone's diary.

They just don't like it when people insist that the only way to be healthy is eat perfectly clean, or to eat no carbs, or to eat low-fat, or any other number of overly restrictive diets. They feel, quite correctly, that excessively restrictive diets lead to failure for a large number of people. Moderation and portion control to fit the foods we love into our diets is important, and leads to a sustainable diet plan - whether it be 100% 'clean' or 100% 'dirty'.

Could there be some health gains through eating 100% clean? Probably some small benefit, I'm sure. But compared to just finding a sustainable diet plan that takes you to, and keeps you at, a healthy weight, these gains are minimal.

By focusing on the diminishing returns of a difficult practice like clean eating, it greatly reduces the chances of attaining the much simpler goal of just reaching a healthy weight.

Are clean eaters critiquing peoples diaries? I mean.. as a rule.. not an exception. Really asking... because I have quite a few friends on my list that I've never heard of doing this.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

The worst you will see is a Windex joke. I'd take that over wishing cancer on people most any day.

Wishing cancer? Do they wish it on them?
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options

The "clean eaters" tell people that they NEED to do something specific to be healthy and lose weight.

So when other "clean" eaters post things like "Hey, looking for friends that eat clean.." IIFYMers don't say a word? Because technically they aren't telling anyone that they need to do anything. Or do they all go to that thread and post pics of poptarts?

:laugh: or pop tart ice cream sandwich combos
  • breeshabebe
    Options

:laugh: or pop tart ice cream sandwich combos

Baha! Exactly!
  • BeachIron
    Options

You should read some of the PMs I've been shown and received. Better yet, go into the clean eating groups and read some of the posts.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

You should read some of the PMs I've been shown and received.

Well then, yikes.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Well then, yikes.

There's also the posts in very legitimate success threads, from say, a friend who managed to lose 150 pounds using IIFYM and still had a way to go. That thread ended up with with so many insults the mods had to delete the entire thread. Again, Windex jokes are mild in comparison to calling people disgusting and wishing them ill.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well then, yikes.

I've been told I am going to end up with high blood pressure and die, been told I'm pre-diabetic and just don't know (At which stage I locked my diary. Please note this was unsolictied advice in threads that had nothing to do with me or my eating habits), that I should just give up and stay fat, and I once mentioned my mother is a nurse and someone told me she's probably ashamed of me. Because of McDonald's Chicken Nuggets.

Hmm. I might still have the screen shot of the McDonald's thing.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

You should read some of the PMs I've been shown and received. Better yet, go into the clean eating groups and read some of the posts.

I have been PM'd by individuals from the clean eating crowd, (after commenting in threads like this) that If I continue to eat junk food in my meal plan it will eventually kill me or they will out live me cause I don't eat clean.... Well I just PM back that had I not stop eating 10,000 calories a day and had my weight continued to climb past my highest of 560 lbs. I would not be here 4 years later typing this... My problem had less to do with what I was eating (and my diet back then had just has much potatoes, and steaks and veggies as so called junk) but more to do with the amounts of food that I was consuming... I might add I have never put down anyone's food choices, if you wanna it so called clean that is your choice but at the same time I will voice my opinion that as long as you hit your macro's and have the calories then having some ice cream or pop tarts or whatever is not going to kill you and in my case I had to change my relationship with food... In the beginning it controlled me and after years of working through my addictions and adding back in food a deemed trigger foods, they no longer have that hold over me and I can enjoy them in moderation....
  • splashtree1
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know many people who eat clean and would agree that Luna is clean... The chips certainly aren't.

I don't eat "clean" so I don't care.

Looking at your typical day and what you eat, I would say that you lost weight because you massively restricted calories. That's a whole day of food?! That can't be more than 1,000 calories. Your dinner is IMHO not dinner. It's barely a snack. You can't be getting more than 40-50 grams of protein either. I'd not be able to continue training if I only ate that.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Saying clean eating is the reason for her successful weight loss is the same as saying my yoga pants made me fat.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Well.. those are all messed up and I definately wouldn't agree with that. But just because some are like that, doesn't mean that all are- though they might hold to those beliefs. I also know that I find it much easier to hear someone out if they aren't being obnoxious.. whatever side of the rope your on.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters constantly post that they will outlive us, we will get cancer and diabetes, etc. Because we don't eat like they do.

That's a lot different than saying it's OK to eat the kind of food you love.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I have been PM'd by individuals from the clean eating crowd, (after commenting in threads like this) that If I continue to eat junk food in my meal plan it will eventually kill me or they will out live me cause I don't eat clean.... Well I just PM back that had I not stop eating 10,000 calories a day and had my weight continued to climb past my highest of 560 lbs. I would not be here 4 years later typing this... My problem had less to do with what I was eating (and my diet back then had just has much potatoes, and steaks and veggies as so called junk) but more to do with the amounts of food that I was consuming... I might add I have never put down anyone's food choices, if you wanna it so called clean that is your choice but at the same time I will voice my opinion that as long as you hit your macro's and have the calories then having some ice cream or pop tarts or whatever is not going to kill you and in my case I had to change my relationship with food... In the beginning it controlled me and after years of working through my addictions and adding back in food a deemed trigger foods, they no longer have that hold over me and I can enjoy them in moderation....

Can I just stop the thread in it's tracks for a second for standing ovation for the man that lost 312 g*dd*mn pounds. Regardless of what he ate in the process of doing it.

Seriously man, you could put on a Metallica vs. Iron Maiden battle concert in the grand canyon and they'd still not rock as hard as you on a bad day. That is some badassery right there.
  • elawoman72
    elawoman72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great work and great for your health too!

TyTy - clever posts....didn't get through reading all the pages here, but I have always heard and remembered some variation of this:

"You can't out-exercise a bad diet"........is it OK to eat Ding-Dongs and then try like crazy to work it off????.....no thanks. That kind of food (?) isn't even necessary in my diet - it's JUNK. A guilty pleasure maybe (I'd personally go for ice cream), but let's be realistic - how would you feel having a crappy diet AKA 'bad' food and having an awesome workout???? It just doesn't equate.
  • splashtree1
    Options
    I eat fast food as well and about sodium and high pressure i run and i hydrate myself so always regular pressure i'm more than 40 and is also summer .....when i need to better my workout and planning goals i eat more clean cause muscles require quality in food
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Great work and great for your health too!

TyTy - clever posts....didn't get through reading all the pages here, but I have always heard and remembered some variation of this:

"You can't out-exercise a bad diet"........is it OK to eat Ding-Dongs and then try like crazy to work it off????.....no thanks. That kind of food (?) isn't even necessary in my diet - it's JUNK. A guilty pleasure maybe (I'd personally go for ice cream), but let's be realistic - how would you feel having a crappy diet AKA 'bad' food and having an awesome workout???? It just doesn't equate.

Good think I never try to work off my 'junk' food. I just work it into my goal/macros and call it a day, no need to try and sweat it out.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Well.. those are all messed up and I definately wouldn't agree with that. But just because some are like that, doesn't mean that all are- though they might hold to those beliefs. I also know that I find it much easier to hear someone out if they aren't being obnoxious.. whatever side of the rope your on.

I was on the clean eating side for a good while but never called it "clean," always wrote off the crazies and never questioned "cheating" or even thought that way. I grew up with a vegetable garden, hunting, and fishing from a nutrition conscious family who spent plenty of time shopping for locally grown produce. I became seriously overweight because I moved to NY and other such cities, started working and sitting at a desk, and I ate too many large steaks and potatoes and drank plenty when entertaining clients. I have eaten at McDonalds probably 10 times in my entire life and 5 of them are this year. Frankly, I never at Pop Tarts until this year. I have found the IIFYM approach to make a hell of a lot of sense and to be quite freeing. Now if my overweight parents would just listen to me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

From what I've seen IIFYMers only comment when 'provoked' (cue argument on sufficient provocation). I used to 'eat clean' when I started out - really, really clean - and nary a comment was made. Because I kept my opinions on eating to myself.

And I've been a friend of Jonnythan, the guy whose eating habits and attitude so many love to hate, for at least seven years now - since long before our MFP days. If he wanted to partake in a witch hunt against clean eaters, I was right there on his friend list.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!