Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well.. those are all messed up and I definately wouldn't agree with that. But just because some are like that, doesn't mean that all are- though they might hold to those beliefs. I also know that I find it much easier to hear someone out if they aren't being obnoxious.. whatever side of the rope your on.

So just curious..... You think that some of us on this particular thread are being obnoxious because we for one congratulated the OP for her weight loss but then went on to explain to her (by her own admission she started accurately logging and doing exercise) that maybe it had more to do with the changes than it did with her so called eating clean....

Not so much this thread... just because both clean eaters and dirty ones disagreed with her.. also the EM2WL disagreed... there was alot going on here. But in general... when I open up a thread about clean eating or IIFYM... For me, IIFYMers come off obnoxious. I probably agree more and practice more of IIFYM (maybe 80% "clean" and 20% "dirty)- just because I don't feel like reading articles about cancer.... but I don't group myself together with IIFYMers because I find them to be more obnoxious. The way that the info is put out there, seems like "Hey, your an idiot.. let us educate you."

My perception is the exact opposite of yours. To me the clean eaters are the ones who come off as obnoxious with the "well some of us *care* about our bodies. Don't come crying to me when you get cancer," nonsense. I suspect that whichever mindset better fits a person's worldview from the get-go is the one that will come off as "justified" rather than "obnoxious."
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    To those who are wondering:

My typical day will look like this:

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

snack: avacado/ some other random veggies like cauliflower or broccoli steamed

Lunch: Spinach 2 cups with chicken breast hard boiled eggs (2) and olives

snack: pop chips all natural (my little cheat snack so I dont binge)

willpower

Dinner:
    I cup of kale 1 cup of frozen blueberries 1 banana

snack: watermelon is good to much on because it is low low cal

this seems like so few calories...
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Agreed...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Yikes and this.

Today I had:

Duck salad with smoked apple, greens, and a chili pepper vinaigrette

Giant rib eye marinated in something chili pepper based that tastes like bfs Marinade
    Smoked crusted top creamy potatos
    crunchy onions

Some of bfs weird but tasty salad with cilantro, apple, veggies, chilis, anese, cucumber, and a really tasty vinaigrette
    Spicy carrot soup with ginger (so so hot and spicy and delicious)

ginger cake with caramel and crunchy sweet potato.

3 glasses of water.

...And that was just supper...
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Agreed...

maybe there's something missing. Or, I hope.
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Yikes and this.

Today I had:

Giant rib eye marinated in something chili pepper based that tastes like bfs Marinade
    crunchy onions

Some of bfs weird but tasty salad with cilantro, apple, veggies, chilis, anese, cucumber, and a really tasty vinaigrette

3 glasses of water.

[/quote

omg, can I come over for leftovers?? That all sounds amazing!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    :

My doctor, who I'm pretty sure knows a little bit of biology, has never mentioned clean eating to me. Instead, his comments have mostly been "holy cow, you are doing an amazing job, and all your health indicators are improving. Unbelievable, I've never seen a transformation like it. And you eat whatever you want? That's great, keep doing what you're doing."

My step-son's dietician, who I also believe may know a bit about biology with a side order of nutrition, has also never mentioned clean eating. Instead she is mostly focused on keeping his blood sugar under control, because his dad and step mom let him have too many simple carbs in relation to the protein he eats. Her advice - increase protein, decrease carbs to find a better balance, but other than that choose from a wide range of foods you enjoy. Sounds an awful lot like IIFYM to me.

Your doctor and your step-son's dietician, also know who pays their bill. They want you to come back! Why they would talk to you about clean eating?

You are joking right???? So your saying the doctor doesnt give a crap about his or her patients just the almighty dollar.. Well at 560 lbs. I crawled into my endo dr. office needing to lose 300+ lbs. and he set me up with a dietician who actually did give a crap about me and set me up on a meal plan with a caloric intake of 2500 calories and a macro ratio of 40/30/30 with carbs being my main focus. I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and from the get go she set my carb intake at 240 grams a day. She told me to hit my macros with veggies lean meats and whole grains and if I had any calories left then treat myself with whatever I wanted as long as it fit my caloric intake. She never once demonized any food so there was never talk of so called clean food or dirty food. That was my own problem to deal with which was why I also worked with a therapist to help me conquer my addictions to my trigger foods. Fast forward 4 years (3 years of weightloss and 9 months of maintenance)and my caloric intake is currently 4000 calories a day and my carb intake is 425 grams a day and that is to maintain... My dietician has approved my increase over my 312 lbs. of weightloss and now maintenance. I have A1c averaging 5.3 the last 2 years and a lipod panel my endo dr. Called Perfect the last check up (his words not mine). I am sorry I just don't agree that doctors are in it strictly for the money... Atleast mine aren't. ... Best of Luck

preach.gif

And congrats on success...both in dropping the weight and getting healthy.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Today I had:

crunchy onions

3 glasses of water.

tumblr_m7bf50TLZU1qjshyk.gif
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Such a hot and controversial topic was bound to bring out the scary. I applaud anyone who is at least aware of the difference between processed and clean foods. It's a very hard lifestyle, harder to define, and a very personal choice. To me, clean means limited ingredients.. No I don't grow my own wheat to grind into flour for pizza dough. But I do buy flour that is organic, has no additives, and is whole wheat to make my own dough. Then top my pizza with fresh veggies, tomato sauce I made, and a little organic cheese. Look at the label of a frozen pizza and I defy you to pronounce the ingredients. Don't get me started on sodium.

Natural foods in a form as close to whole/original as possible are always my choice. Does it have a stem, seed or pit? Even better. I see people choose Lean Cuisine for lunch and wonder why they're still hungry. Because there is nothing in the list of ingredients your body is craving. I will take a big bowl of veggies and an organic protein over a sodium-filled "entree" any day, and will feel better and fuller because if it. My skin looks better, I rarely get sick anymore, and I feel good.

My rule: Artificial is NOT a flavor
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    157f3aba-7d7e-41f7-9b1c-5ebcbb062979_zps1c7316fc.jpg

after clean eating AND working out ...13lb loss

1c2b486a-dd58-40f1-8332-bfd392509861_zps607eb31b.jpg

You look great so congrats to you.

Now, one a real note, I'm gonna say the fact that you ate what basically amounts to my dinner calorie wise and then worked out is why you lost weight. Eating less processed food may have made you feel fuller longer, which is why eating a cup of kale, berries, and a banana didn't drive you to drink but that doesn't make your method superior to my method of 1825 calories with the occasional slice of cake or pop tart or ice cream or Bacon Pretzel Burger or...

Oh, bacon pretzel burger.

Are we talking the New Pretzel burger @ Wendy's??? It is on my list to try this weekend.... Looks So Good!!! :drinker:
    What is a pretzel burger? Does it go with the ice cream bagel? That just sounds wrong...:smile:

First: I am referring to the burger at Wendy's. It's a burger patty on a pretzel roll bun with your typical veggies (if you're down with that) cheese, and a sweet mustard sauce. It was amazeballs. Some things look good and don't live up to the hype but this! I ate that sucker and then curled up around my pillow and slept the sleep of the truly content. The bread was so nice; a nice crisp outside and then a chewy fluffy inside. So good.

web_WendysPretzelJax.jpg
    Actually it does look good...I was imagining a big pretzel (hard or soft) on a burger with ketchup, cheese and pickles falling out everywhere...How many calories?

680 calories.........
    Ouch...no fries with that for me :ohwell:

Hey guys, if you want to try something a tad lower in cals, aldi's (if you have one near you) sells pretzel rolls (just like the one's Wendy's uses), place a turkey burger on that (I prefer Jenni-O pre-made ones) with some bacon and whatever other condiments you like and you've got yourself a healthier version :) Just thought I'd share that!

BTW, I love "quit f*cking talking" for QFT ;)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Now, one a real note, I'm gonna say the fact that you ate what basically amounts to my dinner calorie wise and then worked out is why you lost weight. Eating less processed food may have made you feel fuller longer, which is why eating a cup of kale, berries, and a banana didn't drive you to drink but that doesn't make your method superior to my method of 1825 calories with the occasional slice of cake or pop tart or ice cream or Bacon Pretzel Burger or...

Are we talking the New Pretzel burger @ Wendy's??? It is on my list to try this weekend.... Looks So Good!!! :drinker:
    What is a pretzel burger? Does it go with the ice cream bagel? That just sounds wrong...:smile:

First: I am referring to the burger at Wendy's. It's a burger patty on a pretzel roll bun with your typical veggies (if you're down with that) cheese, and a sweet mustard sauce. It was amazeballs. Some things look good and don't live up to the hype but this! I ate that sucker and then curled up around my pillow and slept the sleep of the truly content. The bread was so nice; a nice crisp outside and then a chewy fluffy inside. So good.

web_WendysPretzelJax.jpg
    Actually it does look good...I was imagining a big pretzel (hard or soft) on a burger with ketchup, cheese and pickles falling out everywhere...How many calories?

680 calories.........

Hey guys, if you want to try something a tad lower in cals, aldi's (if you have one near you) sells pretzel rolls (just like the one's Wendy's uses), place a turkey burger on that (I prefer Jenni-O pre-made ones) with some bacon and whatever other condiments you like and you've got yourself a healthier version :) Just thought I'd share that!

:huh: :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

web_WendysPretzelJax.jpg

680 calories.........

:huh: :noway:

Oh ok, then...Q.F.T.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Good job on the weight loss.

But it is about a calorie deficit and not always about the choices of food. According to this you're just at 1000 calories eating a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Hello, You must know that I dont lift. I only do cardio which focuses on burning fat.
    Actually cardio burns calories. As does lifting. Calorie deficit burns fat. One will burn more fat sleeping at night, then doing an hour of cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I seriously do not get "clean eating". I didn't used to think much of it - I figured it was just a variation on the theme of "only eat food in a state as close to how nature made it as you can" i.e.: unprocessed You know, protein from sources like meat, fish, eggs, poultry, dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds rather than from powders and bars purchased in a health food store. How is a bar in a foil wrapper or a powder in a plastic tub unprocessed? Canned foods (even from organic sources) are still in cans, etc. Sigh.
  • Anna7595
    Anna7595 Posts: 38
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Look at that flat tummy! I'm jealous! You do what works for you. As long as you're getting the proper nutrition you need and enough calories then its all good. Don't let peoples rotten attitudes get you down...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Breakfast:
    Luna Protein bar
    Apple

willpower

Dinner:

Yikes and this.

Today I had:

crunchy onions

3 glasses of water.

omg, can I come over for leftovers?? That all sounds amazing!
    No left overs but you can have what I'm having, just visit Newfoundland and eat at Magnum and Steins, it's delicious :D
    tumblr_m7bf50TLZU1qjshyk.gif
    :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!