WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Carol Pretty pretty hair and lady.

Joyce I think the Voltaren gel may be less expensive than the Flector patch especially at Walmart...I am so glad you got some relief from pain so you could rest.

Karen in Virginia
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Carol, Beautiful, elegant cut and style! You look fabulous!

Joyce, I'm glad the docs are starting to give you some information about when to/when not to take particular medications. It's always helpful to have a little more control.

NYKaren, I'm like you, I need my peace and quiet and down time even though I really like a lot of people. So glad you're happy to be back at work!

Miriam, I hope you'll feel better soon. The only good thing about UTIs is that they respond well to antibiotics, so you can feel better pretty quickly. But that's kind of like saying the good thing about being beheaded is that death comes quickly.

*kitten* I'm sitting in my family room, we've got a thunderstorm, and I looked out the window and saw water running down the inside frame. What a drag!

Re, when I was a kid my mom used to mix the ranch dressing with buttermilk. I liked it, but my problem is I don't know what to do with the rest of the carton!

NSV!!! For the past several weeks I've managed to get some exercise in on my work days. Exercise on those days had previously unattainable. Of course, what worked was pretty simple...
    Walk before work, do kettlebells and pt after work, get on the elliptical for 30 minutes at lunch...and schedule it in.

Penny, oh, how I wish DH liked eggplant parm! Or DS. But if only I like it, it hardly seems worth making. :'(

Katla & Heather, I guess it's facial exercises for me! But I cannot for the like of me figure out how to waggle my ears!! :)

Barbie, let me add my thanks to Katla's for starting the thread every month. You and all the other wonderful women on here make life a little better.

Mary, I did Kettlebell swings with 25 pounds today. Finished my sets with the 20 pounder, but managed 6 sets of 10 with 25. Moved up to 25 pounds on the halos, too. My shoulders definitely feel stronger.

<3 and hugs to all!
    KarenE

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    For some reason my face looks fine, but, the rest of me looks awful. I had severe acne everywhere until I had a hysterectomy at age 39. The dermatologists at that time thought that sun exposure would alleviate it so I burned my fair skin to a crisp at every opportunity. During the summer it would get better, but, in the winter returned at full blast. One dermatologist did chemical peels so I think that is what saved my face from scarring. At any rate, I am sure glad that that time in my life is over. I am hoping that the accutane used now will save my grand kids from any of that. I was the only child out of 5 that suffered.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Karen E- great job! You will get stronger very fast!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,888 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Rainy day here today but I managed to get out and care for horses in between showers. Went to water exercise this morning. The YM returns to fall/winter schedule tomorrow. Kind of crazy to do a change mid-week but whatever. I think lots of people will be confused. I like my new shoes I bought for around the pool.

Pip - Congrats on getting that jersey! When do you and Kirby leave for the ride?

Katla - I think you are the one who asked. Pluots are a cross between a plum and an apricot. I was drinking milk once a day mainly for the protein and calcium. I tried almond milk but it has only one gram of protein and one gram of fiber for 100 calories, not worth it I think. Also tried soy milk and that is better nutritionally but still had some problems. Just need to keep trying some different things.

Re - I really like the dip made with cottage cheese. Had to add a little milk to it to get the right consistency. Also tried adding onion soup mix to it and that was good also.

Miriam - Feel better soon.

Joyce - Hope you get things worked out soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jjfromkc813
    jjfromkc813 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody - 32 days counting down to wedding. It's supposed to be a simple thing but all our kids and grandkids will stand up with us. So everybody had to have something to wear and all that entails. Even though it's not my first marriage, or his, I am so so happy and it's important to me, so I want the wedding to be fun. Most everything is figured out and in place. But always little details to remember :)

We joined the Y a few months ago but got out of the habit during the summer. Also I had a flareup of chronic neck pain from working out on the machines so I had to stop for awhile. Went back yesterday and my plan is to go 3 days a week and do the elliptical and the other days do weights at home, as well as the exercises the physical therapist gave me for my neck pain - which really help (when I do them).

I have started measuring and weighing food and been faithful about logging in MFP.
    Hopefully will lose some more - I seem to keep bouncing within a 2-3 pound range and not going anywhere - getting frustrated.

Pollixin - Hi! I'm new here too - what a nice group of ladies. I'll be pulling for you - let us know how your progress goes

Joyce - go to YouTube and watch tutorials about spreadsheets. You can learn anything on YouTube! What part of Indiana are you from? My daughter moved to around Batesville where her husband's family has a dairy farm. Nice area but of course I miss her horribly.

Michele - I am really cheap too! Especially since I want to retire in 4 months and am worried about health insurance. It just keeps going up! But I will save 5 cents too - whenever possible. Aldi's rocks!

Re - love your posts! So inspiring

Barbie - great idea about adding a few seconds every day to your meditation! I'm going to try that!

Jessica (in humid and buggy Illinois)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    JJ, congrats on your upcoming wedding. So exciting!

I am pooped today, but I need 558 more steps to hit 20,000, all from real work since I skipped the gym and the 3-mile circle. I started at 7:00 a.m. Cutting grass, then trimmed the bushes, cleaned up that mess, organized and swept out the garage, and painted the front door steps and the back deck. Dave cut his half of the yard, did the laundry and the grocery shopping.

See you guys in the September thread!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 8.55min, 17.2amph, 153mhr, 2.5mi = 120c
    SPIN- 40min, 86r, 96w, 10-15g, 130ahr, 158mhr, 10.7mi = 363c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.59min, 12.5amph, 148mhr, 1mi = 70c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 16.40min, 9.3amph, 148mhr, 2.5mi = 161c
    Total cal 714
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    ]
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Hello ladies: Rainy day here today but I managed to get out and care for horses in between showers. Went to water exercise this morning. The YM returns to fall/winter schedule tomorrow. Kind of crazy to do a change mid-week but whatever. I think lots of people will be confused. I like my new shoes I bought for around the pool.

Pip - Congrats on getting that jersey! When do you and Kirby leave for the ride?

Katla - I think you are the one who asked. Pluots are a cross between a plum and an apricot. I was drinking milk once a day mainly for the protein and calcium. I tried almond milk but it has only one gram of protein and one gram of fiber for 100 calories, not worth it I think. Also tried soy milk and that is better nutritionally but still had some problems. Just need to keep trying some different things.

Re - I really like the dip made with cottage cheese. Had to add a little milk to it to get the right consistency. Also tried adding onion soup mix to it and that was good also.

Miriam - Feel better soon.

Joyce - Hope you get things worked out soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

The ride is sept 10 and 11th I will get the jersey the Friday that we get there when I turn in the $$$ or they will mail it after. I don't remember
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Jessica- your upcoming wedding sounds fantastic. Especially with your children and grandchildren being a part of it. If you're working out on the elliptical and lifting weights you may be losing inches instead of pounds.

Drkatiebug - you really worked hard today!

Cheri- I know how you feel. I am also a homebody and an introvert since I retired. Good for you in joining a group of women and getting out and doing things.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif It's time for me to go to bed, so I've posted the new thread for September.

Here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10451615/women-ages-50-for-september-2016#latest
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Terrimom so happy to see you! Your have been so missed. Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope you can keep coming back. <3

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Re - I used to make salad dressing with cottage cheese & a little milk whirled in the blender + spices. Think I learned it from WW many moons ago. I'm going to try your salad - I also like mine with lots of stuff in it. Lately since my bridge fell out and I'm having trouble chewing things I've been making my salads chopped. Much easier to chew. Something I'll be taking care of as soon as I get back to work!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Please keep a dear friend in your prayers , motorcycle accident today and severe head injuries,he was life flighted and in surgery now...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Come to September girls! Allie- So sorry to hear about your friend! Lost a close friend a year ago in a motorcycle accident. Prayers on the way! <3
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Trying to get my durned Fitbit to work! Haven't used it since getting it because it irritated the psoriasis on my wrist - now it's gone so going to try again.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gloria, come join us in September's forum :)

Janetr OKC