WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Liz, I use the app almost exclusively. I like it a lot. I use an iPad and the app displays a pie chart on the home page showing your percentage of carbs, protein and fat. I love the pie chart for accountability.

Charlene, congrats on the prize for your quilt. If is indeed quite beautiful.

Pip, you are welcome.

I have a new favorite drink. Mint green tea. It is quite yummy. I made it with Stevia.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    :) There's a new bocce ball court in our neighborhood so we went over there this morning and played a game. Later we began watching the opening night ceremony of the Olympics that we recorded last night and I rode the exercise bike for three hours while watching it (not all at once, but in parts during the day)....also walked the dogs for more than two hours. Jake and I went to Costco and he drove and filled the gas tank and my part was lifting the 42 pound bag of kitty litter into the cart, then into the trunk of the car, and then carrying it into the house...I'm am grateful for all my weight training so I could do that.

:)Liz, I use the app on my phone when I can't get to my computer but using the computer is much easier and allows me to do many things that I can't do on the phone.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Liz, I too use the app. I love the pie chart. Definitely helps with keeping my percentages in line.

Janetr okc

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Sassy Senoritas!

Yesterday, I was a giant slug... I worked from home in my jammies - made lentils in the crockpot and never even got dressed... And since I am not in the habit of going to the gym in my nightie... I failed to workout for the first time in several weeks. For Shame! I did, however, leave the same number of calories that I normally earn for exercising on the table, so, hopefully, no damage done.

Today, I stumped through Walmart for an hour following my DH in his little motorized cart (another thing I never want to have to use, thank you very much!) and then we went to the gym.

I did some of my knee planks, a whole mess of abdominals and some of the arm machines... Errr... yeah. Can you say Noodle Arms? Sure you can. The elliptical was just thrown in there so MFP has something to show for calorie burn.

I believe - although I can't SWEAR to it - that the Puffy Princess has abdicated the throne. Today I weighed in at the infamous net zero on the 24 week challenge... Back to what my ticker says - and so long as it holds til Monday, when we do our stats again, I will be content. Although, still getting a bit of sock muffin top, so maybe... just maybe the princess will take a pound or so with her when she is completely gone.

I thought, for day or two there, that my early warning was actually the first symptoms of Menopause (I keep HOPING) - it seemed much longer of puffy and tender than normal - but, today, the venerable Aunt arrived, only a bit behind schedule. So, now I get a couple of weeks (hopefully) of non-puff real scale information. Whoot!

And better than that - we get to eat leftover lentils, so, I don't even have to cook, today. Double Whoot! I really love it when DH likes the food enough to eat it for a second day.

%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pip - could you link your MS ride page, again? I managed to miss it the first time.

Sue - no big thing... post your stats if you think of it, on Monday. For me, it’s really just a way to count-down to Christmas, and to keep myself focused on doing all the right stuff between now and then. Now is easy enough... we will see how it is starting with Halloween... chocolate is a stroooong lure.

Joyce - ((HUGS)) I am so sorry Charlie is not physically demonstrative… I know a lot of people aren’t – but I am with you. Sometimes you just need a hug. Maybe you can teach him how to do it right, yet. Good Luck! And have you seen your Doc, yet? Hmmm? *foot tapping, impatiently* We want to hear that you get a clean bill of health, Sugar.

Cheri - Welcome to Texas!

KJ - you are doing better than me on the lo carb thing... I ate hashbrowns and toast for brunch, today. *sigh* Oh well... maybe tomorrow. And that astronaut pic – more proof that scale-weight is just a number… focus on being able to move and being healthy, and you will be fine, regardless of the number, or what planet you happen to live on.

Tracie – I pretty much deal with goals on a daily basis. Today, my goal is to drink more water. So far, so good. If I can do it for a few days, maybe I won’t have to think about it so much and I can move on to something else. Logging and staying under CICO aren’t goals for me… they just are. I need to make water like that, too. A “Whole Month” goes by in a Flash, Sugar. And I can only live one day at a time…

Charleen - love a good flick too... DH and I are probably going to have an Independence Day marathon, tomorrow - he has both the old one and the new one queued up and ready for us to watch.

Liz - "not graceful" is a pretty apt description of me, too... my mama used to say I was a "graceful as a three-legged gazelle." (why DO our parents say stuff like that? I mean, really?) A fresh start is always a good thing. You can do this…

Kate - You will get the calories under control... I really think the exercise is just as important - and you got that in. Tomorrow is another day.

Michele – If you use the DVD’s – and we all know that you do – then surely you DO need more. Enjoy!

NYKaren – What a lovely group of girls.

Allie – I hope you get a break from the madness at work – at least if you do, you can get a little peace there… How was Whole Foods? I love going there, too – so many interesting things to see. Oh, I loved 9 to 5, too… so hysterical.

Barbie – Sleep is good.. I know you can’t actually “catch up” on the stuff, but, I tend to sleep a lot longer on the weekend… just because I can. I love that “well rested” feeling.

Lily – you are rocking those steps, Sister! Go, Go, Go!!

Melanie – Happy Birthday! Good for you on being mindful of the quality of food – as well as the quantity… I am trying to a little better on that, too… my Lentils have more veggies in them than lentils… Kale, Carrots, onions, peppers and celery. Healthier and very tasty. Of course… the ham and sausage throw that whole “healthy” thing out the window… lol… but they are delicious.

Lenora – yeah, Kohls.. they have them in the weirdest locations, here, too. Like, right in the middle of a heavily residential area – you get a Kohls. Just weird.

Carey – Thanks! I hope that today’s number holds – or goes down, by Monday. Walking in place – I suppose the Olympics would inspire one to stay fit… lol. Enjoy.

Katla – Sore muscles are proof that you worked them… excellent. Whine all you like… you’ll work more. Aw, and isn’t your DH sweet.
    Karen/VA – *waves*

Pat – Gratz on the two pounds – that’s nothing to sneeze at. And SLOW just means you aren’t putting your body in to shock… it might not feel the need to “recover” those lost pounds, later. Glad to hear you are enjoying your family.

Miriam – Thanks for the words of encouragement. My worst problem, right now, is not my body size… I am back to something like the size I was when I got married in 1989 – but, having been VERY huge at one point – 367 highest weight – I have a WHOLE BUNCH of saggy, icky bits. My thighs look like elephant thighs – not the size, but the saggy skin. My arms have actual wings. I can’t quite get past that…and there is nowhere to put all that excess skin away in a swimsuit. I actually have a few suits that I don’t mind – I wear them at my Mom’s – but I am always going to be self-conscious until I get this excess baggage removed. I am sure that I should be proud of being so much less than I was… and I am - wearing sleeves and slacks - but, I can’t quite get past that skin in a swimsuit.

Kay – Hello!

Penny – yes, thanks for the map! So, basically, a run to Norway for you is like a trip to Mexico for us… lol. It’s beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Heather – Gutentag! That is nearly the extent of my German… I swear, I learned all I know from watching episodes of Hogan’s Heroes… lol. Girl, if I ever make it across the pond, I am inviting myself to dinner at your house… your food always sounds divine.

Becca – mmmmm… Mueseli… Fiber is good…And the man at the Laundrymat was right… You snooze, you lose. I don’t quite know how pulling his clothes out of the washers was “brave” either… but, hey, I guess some folks might think so.

Margaret - *waves*

KarenE – Thanks for the back-up. I not only knew that it was water retention – but, I knew why – so the advice was pretty hysterical to me… but, I do know she was trying to help… so I am trying to take it in the spirit it was intended. I only ranted, a bit, here… because I could. Love that.

Grace – Another Texas Gal… Welcome.

Debbie/TX – Hurray for the loss!! But yes, the “other improvements” are what really matter. Feeling better is fantastic. Hope your garage sale went swimmingly. How exciting about your girl going to China!

Jane – Hello.

Mary – How is our Kettlebell Queen, this fine and glorious day?

Kim – Happy Birthday! Love that fried ice cream… And I am sure the walking tour burned up any excess calories… You did all right. Thankfully, Birthdays only happen once a year, right?

Mia – Hello!

Vicki – I envy you your cool weather. You will have to give us the test results on the vicks… I hate mosquitoes… *sigh*

Frankie’sGirl – HATE having the DL photo taken… I always look like a prison inmate. Smiling doesn’t seem to help, any. And I am just the opposite of you… Mosquitoes find me, and ignore my DH. He says it’s cause I am so sweet…

Janet - *waves* How you holding up in this heat, Hon? I about melted in my car, today. Had to buy seat covers and a steering wheel cover so I don’t burn my fingers or my legs when I get in.

DJ – Love that fish… I almost only eat it at restaurants, though… It’s so easy to get it wrong when you are cooking it yourself – and I am NOT a skilled cook. That’s why I love my crockpot!

Carol – Hello!

Renee – sorry to hear that weekends are difficult. I love them! There is no one to offer me donuts, or offer to pick up fast food, or whatever. I have total control over my life… DH is learning not to offer me anything – so, weekends are awesome. I always have something to do besides eat… like reply to this thread… lol. Good Luck!

%%%%%%%%%%%%

LOL – how funny that someone bumped our thread… well, I am off to eat some not so healthy lentils and hang with DH. I was so stoked to see that wonderful scale number, again, today, that I am looking forward to seeing if it holds tomorrow. I am hoping I have seen the last of that Puffy Princess... at least until next month.

I wish all of you the best success at meeting whatever your goals are for tomorrow... enjoy your savoring, your exercise, your lives...

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Karen E - it’s Monday

Liz – I have the mfp app on an iphone and Love it for logging food, water and exercise, prefer the computer for entering recipes and reading/writing on the forum.

Heather – when I was at the tea garden, Genmaicha is the tea that I had, it was new to me, but I loved it… I might have to get some.

Gardening today – am doing what I can to get rid of the pests in the garden, voles and mice, surprisingly the Chickens are doing a good job, I did not know that they would do in the pests, they use them as a toy and the rodents don’t live through it. I have also put in traps.

Kettle/dumbbell swing
    4x10x1

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I was able to go to our church supper tonight!!!!!!! Since it was part of our church's anniversary, there was a program with it so I was kind of leaning my head on an empty seat next to me but it was nice to go out. I put some make up on, something else besides my jeans and t-shirt and felt better. Sometimes I think that is what is needed. And I got plenty of good Baptist hugs!!! Those are good strong hugs. I will go to the service tomorrow and it will be hard but I will not be in the choir. But I will get so much out of sitting there and listening to the music. The preacher is OK, well he is good but I like to tease him. But the music is awesome. It's just a small church of about 100 people choir about 15 people but just singing the good old songs of the faith is what lifts me up. Who knows what I will come home feeling like tomorrow. We start our Christmas cantata music next Wednesday night and I hope I am up to being there. I don't know what kind of a person I would be if I couldn't sing in a church choir.

Our daughter Michelle came over this afternoon. A tire went out on her car and since we have 2 cars sitting in our driveway and can only drive one, she borrowed one. But she borrowed our minivan. Well it is the one that we don't drive that much. But the minivan has a remote start I had put on it for my Christmas present one year. And in triple digit heat, you want remote start. And the Ford Escape has this lip you have to bring your foot and leg over to get in the car. The minivan is flat. So she traded cars. She also told her Dad to get in the car. They were going to go driving. Actually he wanted to pick up a pizza for himself to have while I was at church supper. But she had put on Facebook asking if anyone could take him out for a drive so I could have some time to myself. and to think that this was the teenager that we could have wrung each others necks when she was at home. Her sister was a wonderful daughter. Now if only I could have 100 Michelle's to help me. She will be over tomorrow to mow our lawn, use the trimmer and do some weeding. I know her ex husband cheated on her and that is why they are divorced but he was an equal helper when they came over here.

Joyce, contented in Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did a tracie Long Defining Lines DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Leslie Sansone Walk to the Hits DVD. See what that one's about.

Debbie - woo hoo on those NSV's! How wonderful! How long will your daughter be over in China?

kick - kick - kick - I totally forgot to record the kitty olympics. I just now realized that it's Saturday and they were last night. Hopefully, Vince recorded them. update: yes, he did. We just watched it.

Kim - glad you didn't eat as much of that ice cream as you would have before. Deep fat ice cream? I wonder how that tastes?

A bit rushed tonight. Jess got here around 5, she had a hair appt at 6. Then we went to dinner. I had a crab cake, vegetable medley (I recorded 2 cups because I think there was some kind of butter or oil on them) and a baked potato (no sour cream, etc). Just water to drink. Met a lady who is in Newcomers having dinner with a guy who I go to the extremepump class with

Just finished watching the kitty olympics. How cute. Miriam - you'd love it if you haven't already seen it.

Lenora - another place where I've found the mattress cover was Bed Bath and Beyond. As a matter of fact, now I seem to recall that the last time I looked for one, Kohl's had discontinued them but I was able to find one at BB&B

DJ - I've clicked on the "x" and the page is replaced with another page. But when I start up the computer again, that page is back and I don't want it.

Welcome everyone new and congrats to all the "losers"

Exercised then went to the farmers market. Went to Bi-Lo then Food Lion then home to cut up the cantaloupe I'd gotten at the market. went in the pool then went to church where it was my turn to be Eucharistic Minister (first had to go back to Bi-Lo). Then out to dinner with dh and dd, then watched the kitty olympics

Michele in NC
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    riemiaRe i didn't post a link for my bike ride. we are not supposed to solicit here. Drkatiebug found it on her own and donated :0)

if you want to look, you can just google MS Deception Pass Classic and look for a participant, me:
    Isabel Schlotterback.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Re and Pip, that's cause I'm an expert cyber-stalking Google freak!

Well, and because Pip has told us her last name before, and it's pretty distinctive. LOL.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Oh, Miriam, I am so sorry, sweetie. That must have been a horrible scare for all of you. I loved the pictures of the girls you posted of the younger and more recent pictures. They're such cuties. You my dear have the most love of anyone I know to share with your girls and all your kittens. I'm proud to call you friend.

Hope things settle down for you this evening so you can get a good night's rest. (((Hugs))) Oh and I'd say at LEAST 1,000 calories :)

Janet OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Workout
    Week four, day three of life program transitioning from 7 reps to 10 using the 35 pound kettle bell.
    GobletSquats- 3X5 x35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What a great thread to find...hope you all don't mind me joining in! I'm Karen (my girl scout camp name is Purl, which is what I used here) and I'm 54 and live in the Seattle area. I have a husband, 2 girls (17 and 23) and the 23 yr old's boyfriend is renting a room from us now too, so it's like I have 3 kids. The 23 yr old is back home while she's in grad school. It is a little chaotic, but fun.

Over the last year I have lost 70 pounds and have 20 more to go. I need to get re-dedicated and renew some habits that I have let slip a bit over the summer.

August goals:

Track everything, every day.
    Meal plan.
    work out cardio 6 days a week (favorite activities are running, cycling, spin class)
    strength train 3 days.
    No coffee after noon. (this will be the hardest!)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Night night!!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Darling Damsels;

Pip - one of the super-stalkers was kind enough to send me the link... :] And it wasn't even Kay... lol.

Kay - you Stalker chick you. Guess we call you if we need to track down any deadbeats, huh?

Purl - we have so many Karens here... I think we better stick with Purl - unless you want to add a location and go by your proper name.

Miriam - take a deep breath, Sugar. She is ok... just keep repeating that. She is ok. Now everyone knows about her allergy, you are all prepared... Breathe. ((Hugs))

GLo - *waves* Hey GLo - how you doing?

Kim - Chickens help with rodents? Really? Bugs I would expect...but rodents, too? Did I misread that?

Michele - I guess that is the down-side to not having any broadcast TV at my house... No kitty Olympics. Bummer.

Joyce - Music is wonderful stuff... and there is something about singing. I am glad you will get to do what you love.

Lily - Nighty Night back atcha - or good morning, by the time you are reading this.

Janet - *waves*

Well, I should have been sleeping hours ago... too much caffeine today, I guess - but, I am off to bed.

Hugs all round!

Re in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and staggering.. having a cup of tea.. now I usually go grocery shopping every 2 weeks, and Tom said why dont you go grocery shopping this morning.... so have to do that.. but need to sweep and wash the floors and go feed DFIL
    Whole foods was awesome.. forgot to pick up a couple of things iI like there but I did buy a couple of things from the buffet to try, little spoonfuls of something to see if I like it...went right in the middle of the day and it was crowded. dont do to well with crowds
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Re, I was too shaky last night to respond to your last post about getting in a swimsuit. I did see people in long sleeve swim shirts, and in swim leggings and swim capris, so those might be another option for you. I also had the thought that maybe you could get those compression sleeves that are used for burn victims and the stockings also. They would hold in the wiggly skin, like a girdle, and would also have the added benefits of reducing friction and sun protection. As you can see, I am someone who tends to think of possible solutions to problems...
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pip, I didn't realize you were an Isabel! My youngest daughter is Isabelle. The time stamp on this photo is wrong. It was from a year ago. Emily was just finishing up her childhood pudge stage- she is now much slimmer! But I love the photo anyway!
    sgmnfxzcshjc.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome purl. Sounds like your house is lively and fun. Hope you check in with us often, the accountability and comraderie is very powerful on this forum. I have been thinking how big my home will feel this fall as an empty nest and have pipe dream of having nephew or nieces live with us while in grad schools. We'll see.

Getting some errands done early today after a lousy nite's sleep. Grocery shop, visit MIL and pick up DD from her fun weekend in NYC. Want to get in my cardio at the gym since this absolutely helps me stay on track eventhough I am eating more. 100 calorie cherry water ice is kind of a summer thing with me so I make room for it in my daily CI CO. It is a summer thing. NYKAREN