WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Called doctor's office this morning to get an appointment. She was very interested in listening to both the lungs and sent me for a chest xray. She will call me this afternoon with results. Then she got out the stress test result. Quote 'Joyce you need to see a cardiologist ASAP'. She thinks I will need a cardiac cath and a stent. If so I sure hope it gives me more energy. You all know I am not a morning person. My appointment in 7:45 next Tuesday.

• SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lenora No mystery meat that I can remember. Growing up in the deep south we had a maid who came and ironed. Her sister worked in my school cafeteria. She knew who I was and so when I went through the line I would point to what I wanted and she would give me extra and if there was something I didn't want she didn't put it on my plate. Right now I could eat a few of those homemade rolls with a glass of southern sweet tea. Glad I don't have either, they would make my tummy feel sick from the sugar and bloated from the rolls :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Kylia- I like the butterfly profile pic too! I normally don't like any pictures of me (and I could rip myself apart in that one) but it reminds me of a magical moment I shared with a little butterfly on a hot sand beach. My hands were nice and cool and wet from the water and he made himself at home on them for a good thirty minutes! I meant to mention earlier that I loved the pics you posted also!
    Becca- Oh my goodness! Your whole post makes me giggle. I love car trips with my DYS. He and I are like two peas on most things and he loves to make me laugh and vice versa. I am wondering to what tune your "car" song goes to? I am thinking Little Deuce Coup by the Beach Boys or Fat Guy in a Little Coat sung by Chris Farley in TommyBoy. B) And your dinner discussion with your husband sounds VERY familiar to me. For some reason my DH and DYS don't understand when I answer the question "what sounds good to you?" with "...anything I don't have to cook.", doesn't mean I want to eat out (especially when we have zero restaurant budget most weeks), it just means will some one else please cook SOMETHING?!
    Heather- would it be okay if I messaged you? You touched on something in your post that hits very close to home for me. I have been worried about talking about it to people, because I am sure I will sound like a horrible person. I think you might be able to help me feel more okay with a situation.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Joyce- I am so happy that your doctor paid attention to you and your x-rays and is getting things moving quickly for you! I am sending good thoughts/vibes/ and prayers for successful surgery, skilled docs, and rapid and complete recovery for you! <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Joyce prayers!

(((Becca)))

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    BettyROC lol you are so right! I was just above Manhattan in Yonkers NY so if it had been a clear day the nyc skyline would have been part of the view but the Palisades on the opposite side (New Jersey) is absolutely spectacular to look at as well. There is a wonderful bridge further up (Hudson Bridge?) that you can walk across the Hudson and that is also really spectacular.

Becca Your driving stories are making me think of my wonderful mom, After my father passed away (she was 53 at the time) she decided that she had to learn to drive, we had never had a car, but she figured if we were gonna get to college some day, she would have to learn to drive and SHE DID. It made for some amazing adventures and we laugh till we cried talking about all of them after she passed away. She bought a gigantic rusty Chevy Malibu (old Bessy) and generously passed it on to all of us when we needed it. I am still in awe of her courage.

Joyce sorry the appt. has to be so early but it is so important for you to take care of this, I just know it is going to make you feel so much better, take care of yourself!

I livestreamed the gymnastics all around and it was so worth it! I won't spoil any surprise ;) NYKAREN

• ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I'm so glad you got the stress tests and there's something that they can diagnose and treat! Your exhaustion last week didn't sound good, so I'm glad you're getting care.

Becca, Congrats on making the trip with your DS! And I agree with KJLaMore, the account of your discussion over what to have for dinner was so funny! The differences in our house are the endearments we use. I don't use coupons either unless I actually use something. And I don't buy two for one. But DH does. He'll come home with two boxes of something bizarre--say something like sun-dried tomato blueberry pretzels.

Isn't it nice when priorities change and that's okay? It's one of my favorite parts of middle age

Cheri, we moved about 11 years ago, after staying in one place for 14. I had moved a lot when I was younger, but I found that being older made everything harder to get used to and harder to navigate. For about a month DH and I were very disoriented and treated one another as if we were made of glass because it was so stressful.

This afternoon I decided I needed a rest day from cardio and weight training. So I took a walk along the creek--beautiful path, grassy and shady. Should have been ideal. But it was 91 degrees, about 90% humidity, and the shade didn't help much. The sweat was pouring off me, my face turned redder than usual, and much to my dismay I discovered that my quick dry capris didn't dry quickly enough. I got home and could see damp spots on my knees (joining you on that one, Re) and, unfortunately, in spots I would definitely prefer not to have sweat showing... :/ Luckily it was so unpleasant outside that I only passed 4 people in an hour.

My big NSV for the week: I got at least some exercise on each one of my work days...

DS mowed the lawn this afternoon, and I only had to ask him once! He also signed up for classes at the community college. What a relief! He's been working, but not at anything that would help him be self-sufficient.

Gotta go figure out what to make for dinner...

KarenE
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My day:

Direct TV appointment at 8 am. He came. He saw. He said no-way was he trying to get on my roof. No Direct TV (I'm just fine with that)
    Made roasted chickpeas for a snack. One batch is four days worth of "nuggets" (about 1/4 cup) Quite tasty.
    Started my granddaughter's birthday present. She is turning three. She wanted baby doll clothes. So I started sewing some. Now I remember that I hate sewing those tiny little things. :) Going to get a couple of outfits done for her.
    Walked 1 1/4 to the trainer and went along the bayou. No shade. Hot. Sweltering. Worked out with him for 45 minutes and walked back. Got in the house. Drank about a gallon of water. Laid on the cool tile floor and just practiced sweating. ;)
    Back to sewing.
    Leftovers for dinner. Tilapia tacos.

That's life here.

Roxy - Have you done the Sandia Tramway yet? It's a nice ride. Unless you don't like heights. But the view is amazing.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri, we moved about 11 years ago, after staying in one place for 14. I had moved a lot when I was younger, but I found that being older made everything harder to get used to and harder to navigate. For about a month DH and I were very disoriented and treated one another as if we were made of glass because it was so stressful.
    KarenE

This is our 8th home together. :) We are no strangers to packing up and moving on! However, at 57 and 56 years of age it is tough this time. Aches and pains and tiredness and ...... Add to the fact that my husband's Asperger is in roaring form during times of stress and I am walking on a big ole sheet of plate glass. Fortunately he is very aware of his behavior and I got a huge hug this morning before he left. <3 Otherwise I feel like I'm in this alone. Holding my tongue so I don't bite it off. I've been working in spurts and resting in spurts. Set up the living room today so I had one room that looked "normal". No nicknacks because I just don't want to pack them up again as soon as we find a house to buy! All my house plants made the trip so I have those all set up too. My husband's favorite daylily made it also and is sitting outside on the back patio. Tomorrow we are off to the DMV to get our licenses and register the current car. The hubs made arrangements to pick up his new car before we moved and it is ready for pick up at the local Honda dealer on Saturday morning. I don't envy him having to go out into that inferno garage getting it ready to park both cars in it. Payback for only running the AC at 75 degrees in the house until he sees his first bill!? I'm a continual schvitzy mess!!

Still trying to locate the silverware so dinner again with plastic utensils....lol

Cheri
    a tired Whoop! Whoop! from College Station, TX
  • csofled
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Barbie I am with you, I love my routines. One thing I am exploring is how I react and respond to crisis and new experiences, I notice that for me the anticipation of a stressful situation is usually worse than the actual experience and also once the crisis or new experience is behind me, I appreciate my normal life so much more.
    I am approaching the new school year (and empty nest) with cautious optimism as well as calming routines that I hope will help. And yes, the support of this group is a part of my coping!! Hooray all you wonderful people!!
    NYKAREN

Hurray for routines! I'm finding that I sourly miss my routines. It's been weeks since having my routine removed due to this move. And now as I sit amongst the many boxes in need of unpacking it is heightened. Yesterday I just had to unpack my yarn and sit and crochet for a bit. Taking the time to check in hear and read for a bit is a must. Trying to fit into this much smaller home is challenging. The time zone change also has me a bit befuddled. I am talking to myself throughout the day telling myself all will settle in time and you will re-establish your routine. I used to be able to power through and set up a new home in no time. Much slower this time around due to aches and pains and the heat! All will be well in the end I am sure.

Cheri
    typing before her first cup of coffee in I think Central TX

:) In "Better Than Before", Gretchen Rubin says that moving into a new house is a great opportunity to put some new habits in place....setting a place in the house for exercise, or placing your exercise clothes in a special place to be able to get to them in the morning to exercise, or placing inspirational books or signs in a place where you'll see them often. Moving is very stressful so be extra kind to yourself....one object at a time, you'll get things arranged and begin to feel at home.

<3 Barbie

Thanks Barbie!

I just spoke to the hubs this morning about joining the local gym, Planet Fitness, sooner than later as it would be a good thing for me to have that a part of my new routine each morning after he leaves for work. Normally I would take a walk, but geez o petes, it's like an inferno outside! He agrees to look into it. We agreed not to hang anything on the walls in this rental, not wanting to deal with holes in the walls. However, I insist on putting up my inspiration wall above our credenza. It consists of several of cross stitch I have made and other special pieces. I will look into using the 3M Command picture hanging strips. I know I will settle in sooner than later!

Cheri
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Doing well today, have gotten groceries and gone to PT. Pelvic floor exercises are going well but why is it they always wait until you have been exercising for a while and then ask you to do the hard things when you are tired? DH was with me today to buy groceries and it takes much more time and effort than when I do it by myself not to mention that we end up with lots of extra things. I was able to get some yellow pluots today, I like them better than the black or dapple ones.

Cheri - Wishing you new routines soon. I am a person who needs my routine too.

Purl - You are in a beautiful area. My DS and DGD have just moved to Kirkland from Mill Creek.

Joyce - Hope everything works out well for you, just get there and you can sleep through the procedure.

Take care everyone, Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I got a call from my doctor this afternoon with the results of my MRI. She didn't want to wait until my scheduled appointment on August 22 to go over the results. Instead, she is going to forward the results to the same neuro-surgeon who did my husband's surgery in June. I have been dealing with the pain in my legs since September and it's gotten worse. In November I had a nerve conduction test and that doctor said that there were some nerve dysfunctions in my lower legs that didn't seem to be spinal related and so it appeared that I was just going to have to put up with the pain. Many blood tests by my primary care doctor and a neurologist ruled out all sorts of possible causes of peripheral neuropathy, but no one seemed to know what to do. As the pain got worse, Jake said that it was starting to sound more and more like the pain he had and we went back to our regular doctor and she ordered the MRI. Now it's time to wait to see what the neurosurgeon says.

<3 Barbie

My husband was in a similar situation with his lower back a few years ago. Surgery worked miracles for him regarding his back pain. Although surgery didn't cure his other major health problems, MS and diabetes, his life is much better because of it. I hope your doctors are able to work miracles for you whether it is via surgery or some other treatment. (((HUGSS))) <3<3<3

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Karen, a couple of weeks ago I was looking at the skyline from Weehawkin where the Hamilton/Burr duel took
    place--beautiful River views from both sides, isn't it? And last summer we walked that bridge across the Hudson and a local astronomy group was having a star party there...so cool. We've been exploring from Albany down a little bit every summer--still need to get below Poughkeepsie and check out West Point and Beacon. Kingston is neat and so are the historical sites at Hyde Park. Also love Olana and the Thomas Cole house.
    Has been ages since I have been on the Palisades; that was a Sunday drive in childhood.

Barbie, sending hugs your way!!!! And also to Joyce!!!

Doing better on calorie count but the humidity is not helping my exercise motivation...

BettyROC
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cheri - I know what you mean about unpacking your crochet and taking a time out from all the stress. When I moved to Colorado from Maryland the first actual room to be unpacked was my quilting room. The beds were set up and linen and pots and pans were where they needed to be from the first day, but for some reason it didn't quite feel like 'home' until I unpacked my fabrics.

Take it easy on yourself, there is only one of you. <3
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies been gone for awhile so much is going on since I was last here. Happy to see many people posting.

Trying to stay positive and living in the moment. Has been trying at times but not giving up. So many of you have talked about it in a postive way.

Hugs to you who need one and kuddos to all of you with good news and successes.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    So I will try this one more time I got a few more steps before it gets dark. I'm trying to talk text a reply but I keep losing it! My husband interrupts me or the phone loses signal. go figure!

I am sending prayers and hugs to all that are dealing with health issues or who spouses are dealing with health issues. Also prayers to those whose children are moving on with their lives or hopefully getting their lives together.

I think that each day is a blessing that we choose how we're going to react. From the support here it helps to make each day that much more beautiful because I know that people are thinking about me . I hope that you all feel the same way.

Remember that you're not alone in this journey! Whether you started with bad parenting or bad parents or lack of money or unexpected moves, life has a funny way of turning things around when you think you've hit rock bottom. Keep your chin up ladies and I'll catch up with you later.

:-) Kylia in Ohio
  • csofled
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Cheri - I know what you mean about unpacking your crochet and taking a time out from all the stress. When I moved to Colorado from Maryland the first actual room to be unpacked was my quilting room. The beds were set up and linen and pots and pans were where they needed to be from the first day, but for some reason it didn't quite feel like 'home' until I unpacked my fabrics.

Take it easy on yourself, there is only one of you. <3

Thanks so much for your support from one crafter to another. I am waiting patiently for my area to be set up.

We downsized considerably with this rental home. 3 small bedrooms and a master (not so big either). We are unconventional as we have separate bedrooms. Another bedroom for storage (as no attic/basement) and we are using the master as the work/office room. His desk, file cabinet and printers. My craft table (old kitchen table) and several plastic drawer sets with my supplies, sewing machine and small cabinet for fabric. We also have to fit a day bed in that room for when one of the kids visits.

I purposely packed my yarns and projects in clear plastic tubs so I could identify them immediately! And boy am I glad I did! Hubs has tomorrow and the weekend off so should be able to get a bunch done.

Happy crafting/sewing!

Cheri

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Did 50 min of Cathe Friedrich's lower Body Pyramid DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT. Gawd, how I've missed that. We're supposed to go to dinner tomorrow with a friend. I already know that I'll order a veggie burger and then they have something called a "veggie boat" that's basically carrots and celery so I'll probably order 2 of those.

Lenora - which DVD did you do? Do you get Hints from Heloise in your paper? She had a bit about a snake in there. I would have freaked, totally. Anyone with a doggie door should read it.

SugarDarlin - You'll do wonderful in the cafeteria. Do you have to have a Serv-Safe certification to sub in the cafeteria? I remember working with a CP student and I went to the cafeteria with him. I couldn't believe the amount of grease in the chili! Good luck. Love taking your own food, probably better than the cafeteria's.

NYKaren - great choices at the restaurant, even the bbq.

Welcome everyone new

Cheri - I'm trying to teach myself to crochet. I am having the darndest time doing things in the round. Everyone says that is so easy, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

exercised then did my running around. Stopped at Kohl's where I got an air popped popcorn maker for Jess and a tablecloth for me. The on to AC Moore then Office Max, then Aldi, then Hamricks, then the mall, then the jewlers to pick up my rings that I had appraised. Let's just say that now they're going to stay in the safe. I almost fell over when they told me what the engagement ring was appraised for. Then home and finished the weedwacking, put down weed killer, took a shower, got dinner ready, did some work for Newcomers, had dinner, now here.

Betty - remember I was saying how we had that panel that needed to go in the ceiling downstairs? Well, Vince was needed a step stool. So I took one down yesterday. Today he put it up. What would have been so hard about doing it sooner? I wanted to replace the blind in the bathroom downstairs, nothing was done so I took the blind down myself, brought it upstairs and suggested we go to Lowe's Hardware and get a new one. We now have a new blind. Wonder how I can manage to get Vince to finish the quarterround???

Joyce - with all the stress you've been under, I'm not at all surprised you need a cardiologist. Please keep us informed -- we all care so much about you

KarenE - when we moved from our first home to our second, I really didn't have much of a problem. Now when we moved from the second to the third, I had a real real hard time of it. Even tho the kids were in school and you meet other mothers at the busstop and school functions, I still had a really hard time. Now when we moved down here, I didn't have a problem. Not sure what it was.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.31min, 14.6amph, 129mhr, 2.5mi = 64c
    LATERAL MACHINE 12.32min, 129mhr, lvl6, 142mhr, 1638str, 71fl, 1mi = 97c
    other- 23min, 12# ball toss, jump rope, machines, 124mhr = 113c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.47min, 125mhr, 13.1ammph, 1mi = 50c