WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Replies

• SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    My name is Connie. My grandchildren call me CC. So Sugardalrin, Connie, or CC works for me :)
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Becca,it must be about 2 p.m. in Washington state, so I'm sending good thoughts your way as you take your DS to the recruiting center. Loved your story about leaving the wash in the dryer just because! Like your DH, I'm a Virgo. So is my DH, but organized he's not! Maybe in his mind...

Heather, I wish I had a local medieval castle! They're in pretty short supply here in Virginia ;)

Penny, I agree with all that the pictures of your mom are wonderful. And what a wonderful thing to share with her.

Janetr[/b, so cool that your daughter is using her fitbit to such good effect. Congratulations!

I'm sitting here thinking I should get up and work out, but I don't feel very energetic. So I'll commit to the following and then report back to all you wonderful ladies. How's that for accountability?

10 minutes warm up on elliptical
    Kettlebell swings: 15x10x20
    Goblet squats: 5x8x15
    Sideways walk with band: 3x10 each direction
    Balance board: wobble back and forth-4x15 (one each direction) plus 4x10 balancing squats
    10 minutes on elliptical

..back in a bi to tell you how I've done.

KarenE
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    KJLaMore my name is Connie, my grandchildren call me CC. So Sugardarlin, Connie or CC works for me :)

Had my first colonoscopy this morning. The worst part for me was the IV and being very hungry during the night. The new prep tastes like orange Tang. I was able to drink clear flavored sparkling water, blue Zero gatorade, warm clear broth and white grape juice. Only had 2 small polyps which the dr burned. I go back in 5 years.
    I lost 3 lbs through the prep. I am going to eat a good supper tonight.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    B)
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    It worked!!! I did everything with a modification based on how my hip felt--I didn't do the goblet squats with the kettle bell. Instead I did 3 sets of 15 Squats with a resistance band...

Connie, it is always nice to get those things over with. I think I'm coming due for one in the next year or so. :/
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    :heart:
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    My dinner looked so pretty I wanted you to see it. Zucchini noodles with mushrooms, red chilies, garlic, fresh ginger, shrimp & a splash of low sodium soy sauce. Delicious
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Well my DD2 has gone back to the other side of the planet and I am trying to get my life back on track. Have read most of the posts and just want to welcome the newbies and give Becca and Joyce virtual hugs.
    Not much to report, just trying to keep my head above water and develop some realistic personal goals.
    Betty
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Hello all: Went to water exercise this morning, enjoyed the workout and sat in the hot tub for a few minutes doing hand exercises. Too much crocheting and CMC joints at the base of thumbs were sore. I was going to mow the area in front of the gazebo but it is very warm and humid out, think I will wait until this evening. Loving all the fresh fruit this time of year. Our apple tree doesn't have a whole lot of apples this year due to extensive pruning this spring but they are much, much larger than the ones we had last year.

Becca - So glad you and DH made it through that procedure.

Roxy - Hope DH enjoys his new job.

Penny - Love the pictures of your mom. My mom just turned 93 and still walks to church on Sundays about 3/8 of a mile mostly flat. A positive attitude goes a long way.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • shamac35153
    shamac35153 Posts: 21 Member
    Hello all hope you all had a good day! Cheers (without wine lol) to logging in day two! Now to figure out how these posts work? Why doesn't it default to last page. Feel like I'm posting wrong and couldn't even find where i posted last night. Oh well! Have a great night folks!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    NSV ~ For some reason, I, who never crave sweets saw a Coconut Cream Pie in the freezer. I bought one of the two tiny slices you can get in a box and ate half of one. Yeah, my DH ate the other and I hope the second pie last until he gets home on Thursday. It was delicious!
  • shamac35153
    shamac35153 Posts: 21 Member
    Since I can't find post. I'm new live in Boston area am 53 years young. Have four children. This is my second day logging in food. Have lost 7 pounds out of 30. The journey to loose the 7 was very long so wanted to see how this site would work towards the goal. Time to focus on me a bit more so that I can be there for family.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I got a call from my doctor this afternoon with the results of my MRI. She didn't want to wait until my scheduled appointment on August 22 to go over the results. Instead, she is going to forward the results to the same neuro-surgeon who did my husband's surgery in June. I have been dealing with the pain in my legs since September and it's gotten worse. In November I had a nerve conduction test and that doctor said that there were some nerve dysfunctions in my lower legs that didn't seem to be spinal related and so it appeared that I was just going to have to put up with the pain. Many blood tests by my primary care doctor and a neurologist ruled out all sorts of possible causes of peripheral neuropathy, but no one seemed to know what to do. As the pain got worse, Jake said that it was starting to sound more and more like the pain he had and we went back to our regular doctor and she ordered the MRI. Now it's time to wait to see what the neurosurgeon says.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 8.16min, 18.6amph, 146mhr, 2.5mi = 97c
    SPIN- 37min, 79r, 92w, 9-13g, mostly 12, 148mhr, 9.7mi = 313c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.51min, 152amhr, 13ammph, 1mi = 54c
    ride dome 2 hm - 18.03min, 8.5amph, 145mhr, 2.5mi = 155c
    total cal 619
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, how exciting for your town to have a gold medal winner! I hope your legs are better today/tonight.

Barbie, so glad your MRI went well.

KateUK, congrats on the loss. That is wonderful that your DH can do all that work. Wish mine could.

KJ, so glad your DH got ready and you didn’t have to say “tic tic tic” to him again. LOL

Chris/Idaho, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often and join right in.

Heather, so glad the “Animal Hunt” was a success. That was so sweet of you and DH.

Re, “Dang ya’ll were cute”!!! A huge congrats on that loss. You just keep it up and I’ll bet you will get below 200! I know you are feeling better not to mention looking better. Go, girl, go!!!

Sharon, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Start slowly building good habits. This is not a race but a life journey. Come here often and take one step at a time and you will get there.

Becca, so sorry for what your DH had to go through, not to mention you. I think it’s fine for your happiness to be tied to your DH’s health and happiness. Take care of both of you.

Roxy, a huge congrats on DH’s new job. I know that is a huge relief for you both.

KimW, welcome. We take younger ladies as long as they “think old”. Lol *JK* This is a great place for support and information. Good luck with your surgery and the healing afterwards. Come often and join right in.

Kylia, sweet pic of the fur babies. Very nice family but no one there old enough to have those kids?  How cool that your DH get to still go hunting.

Glo, so sad to hear about DH and his back problems. Sending healing thoughts his way.

Rori, you and Lisa give each other a big hug for me. When are you going to be working in SC????? I too think of Sylvia and NCCarol often and hope they are okay.

Joyce, I hope the stress text went well today. The last time I had a chemical stress text they still made me walk on the treadmill some. Ppffttt Good for you on the live streaming. You are just moving into the 21st century!!!

Heather, I love the pictures as always. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful family with us. I’m sure the grands had a ball.

Penny, what wonderful pictures of your Mom and her berry picking. I love her basket, too. I do hope we are all in such great shape at her age. And what a beautiful house. Does your Mom still live there?

Pip, that worries me hearing about some of your encounters with cars. I know you are careful but please be extra, extra careful. There are lots of “crazies” out there driving cars.

Janetr, that is great about your DD and her loss. I hope your DGS has a good birthday and a good weekend.

Grace, your dinner did look delish! Nice job.

Shamac, it will go to the last post that you read when you log on again. I also try to keep a note of what page I was on, just in case.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. If you haven’t already told us about yourself, please do. We are happy to have you join us.

All this talk of full coverage swim suits reminds me that one of the things I liked about Myrtle Beach was that I never felt like the fattest one on the beach or was overly embarrassed to go to the beach with DH. Now mind you, I still don’t really want to be seen in a swimsuit by anyone else I know therefore I don’t go to the neighborhood swimming pool. Yesterday I took my new friend that I met at the gym to have lunch at the Moose lodge. I think she is going to join. She is also going to Line Dancing with me tomorrow to see how she likes it. She has recently retired and looking for things to keep her busy. I didn’t do much today but feel like I’ll go to bed rather early. *feeling sleepy*
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34

Pipcd34 – Be careful out there or you’ll be in Kirby’s position and that would not be good. People in cars do not realize that bicyclist have to follow the same road rules/laws they do. Even stopping at a stop sign or a red light. Watching signals and/or making them … doesn’t mean that they are always reliable. I have never pulled out in front of someone just because they have their turn signal on. Too many close calls; but, I don’t have a ‘dirt’ bike, so I gave up riding when we moved out here. But, I have seen some crazy ‘near misses’. I always hated it when someone would blow past us and not give us 'any' room. There were a few times that I just ran off the road because I knew they were not going to slow down. Some really get angry if you are riding in a bunch ... they'll honk their horns and never pass even when they have the opportunity to do so.

Lenora

trust me, i am nothing but careful. i used to ride every day in my 20's and from the 90's on... kirby has taught me a lot, he's got over 40yrs of riding under his belt. i think we've pretty much seen it all. when you ride in bunches, you shouldn't take over the whole lane anyway, should be riding single file so i would' t blame cars for honking their horns in that situation
  • pipcd34
    damnit - no question there's danger out there. even with kirby's years of experience he still got hit. when it's your time, it's your time and nothing you can do to stop it. i am not going to stop riding a bike just because he got hit, i wouldn't be living. you get in a car accident, are you going to stop driving? no... you'll just be more aware and keep going on.. that's what i'm doing.

i know you are all speaking out of concern and everyone is not telling me stuff i don't know already.

maybe i should just not share these experiences to keep everyone from worrying.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :)Penny, I love the berry picking adventures of your mom and the photos to tell the story

:)<3Joyce, that stress test sounded like a huge challenge...glad you made it through OK

:)DJ, I'd rather be line dancing than doing anything that requires wearing a swim suit...I hope your friend likes line dancing

:)Heather, I love all the photos and stories about the visit with your grandchildren. The first time our grandsons came to our house, they wanted to ride the exercise bike and lift the handweights.

:) Jake and I walked for about thirty minutes this evening....his longest walk since many months before his surgery. He walked slowly and used his cane for balance but it was a great victory for him.

<3 Barbie
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Certainly can tell it's the Olympics. Today I was treated to a synchronized swimming routine by two of my granddaughters in my pool. lol It was a gold medal performance!

I'm glad we have a channel to watch the Olympics in real time. So much better than the commentators and never ending commercials. And they only show the American competitors in some sports (gymnastics) when the Russians in our family want to see the Russians compete. So it was nice they got to watch on my TV and see their country perform. I do understand the nationalism and pride of country. Totally get it. BUT I'm a little disappointed in some of our American athletes and their lack of sportsmanship. When you compete the words are "good job" or "great race" not trash talking. Just my opinion.

Marcelyn
    in triple digit heat in Houston