WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sharon! And I'll raise my water bottle to your day one. The nice thing about slow weight loss is that it can be more easily maintained.

Re, you were young and gorgeous. Now you're still gorgeous. Great bone structure. As to young, meh, I wouldn't want to be 25 again. Ever. Even though I was pretty, and now I'm middle aged. Now 35 or 40? Maybe...But only my body. I like my emotional state much better now. Wait, I think I've said that before. Well, it's true.

Barbie, Your weather sounds lovely. Warm days, cool nights...perfect!

Heather, beautiful pictures of your grand children!

Work is frustrating. An old client asked me to do a small project for him. Timeline was very short. I was very busy and stressing about the need to get him a proposal so he'd have it when he got back from vacation. I lined up some staff. Got it in on time; today he said, "never mind, we decided we don't need it." Grrrr. Lesson? I'm going to give my regrets next time. Small projects aren't worth the hassle. On another project I had to bring on a more expensive colleague because another, irritating, colleague, after telling me for months that she really, really, really wanted to work on my project, said she had no time to give me. But now she's charging time to it because she's helping the other colleague, who is extremely competent and has probably only needed a half hour of advice, at most. One day my irritating colleague told me she was "organizing her thoughts," and that's why she charged so much time! And then she charged some more. If there's one more hour charged, I'm going to have to tell her to take it off. It's very unpleasant because she's been having emotional difficulties for months, her perspective on things is way off, she takes enormous pride in her work, she doesn't have much else in her life, and her ability to get her work done and multi-task has diminished due to her distress. I was sympathetic. But now I've become a bad guy because I told her that I'd find someone else to do the work, since she couldn't do it when I needed it. And she has told people that I didn't trust her competence to get the work done. I feel as if I have dropped into a rabbit hole.

I'm waiting for the weekend. Only 3 more days to go...

Grumpily yours :# ,
    KarenE
  • roxyspitfire53
    roxyspitfire53 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It was late last nite, I didn't even finish reading all the post.

So....I have wonderful news, Raymond received a job offer from Sandia Labs. He accepted and will start in the next couple of weeks. After being laid off for 5 months and moving from Houston to Albuquerque in hopes of him getting a job, it finally paid off. We were getting very concerned if we made the right decision. The Lord was looking out for us.

So we went for Mexican food to celebrate. Let me just say after 13 years of TexMex, I am having a hard time getting my Mexican food fix.

To all you gals in Texas, especially near Houston, I so miss the humidity, sort of. It is hot here, but oven hot. When we first got here in June, the temps were around 102. We miss Houston. We are headed back on 9/2 for football game on Saturday. Since we are originally from Oklahoma, Raymond lives and breathes OU football.

I did very good at keeping track of my food so far, just need to log my lunch and dinner for today. Today was supposed to be exercise, but celebration instead.

I look forward to learning more about everybody. By the way, I am originally from Seattle, WA, to Bangor, Me, to Oklahoma, to Texas, and now New Mexico.

Well,time to sit back and watch the Astros play baseball.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    congrats roxy so happy tha DH found the job he was hoping for!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    <3Becca, sending hugs to you and your hubby...what an ordeal....yes, you need to be healthy to take care of him at times like this...and you need to be healthy for you, too, but if we waited for our motives to be perfectly clear and pure, our ships would never leave the dock.....how grateful you must be that you had the strength both physical and mental to get him through this ordeal....once again my hat is off to you.

:)roxyspitfire, congrats to your hubby on getting a job and congrats to you for being there for him and with him during this trying time.

Resolutions for August (with week one comments)
    *continue sorting and discarding photos (some but not much)
    *work in the yard 30+ minutes four days a week (more like two days this week)
    *increase daily meditation time by 5 seconds every few days (daily)
    *average 15,000 steps a day (only day under 15,000 was yesterday with MRI followed by sleeping off the drugs all afternoon and Jake doing a lot of the dog walking)

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hubba hubba - I mean u not him :0)

LOL - Thanks, Pip. I thought the picture of you and Kirby on your MS page was adorable.
    Re, you were young and gorgeous. Now you're still gorgeous. Great bone structure. As to young, meh, I wouldn't want to be 25 again. Ever. Even though I was pretty, and now I'm middle aged. Now 35 or 40? Maybe...But only my body. I like my emotional state much better now. Wait, I think I've said that before. Well, it's true.

KarenE

Thanks, KarenE~! I don't think 25, either... but, after that my body got pretty horrid - so... guess I will just have to suck it up and be the best 51, 52 and beyond that I can be.

Gratz, Roxy!
    So happy your move paid off.

(((HUGS!!!))) Becca. Sorry the stent was so traumatic and painful for DH.

Sue - net zero on the challenge... now we can move forward.

Katla - I have an old postal scale from an office that closed - but yeah, weighing & measuring is everything.... especially the high fat stuff like cheese and mayo and salad dressing. It's so easy to estimate wrong... so, I just don't.

Vicki - good luck with the Joint Commission... hope you can get some sleep so it's easier to deal with them.

Barbie
    - this is one of the few times I miss Broadcast Television... we watch all stuff that my DH has checked out from the library or downloaded from the internet - which is awesome... but, I don't get to see stuff like the Olympics unless I go watch it at the gym... or a bar... or something else. Enjoy!

Melanie
    - OH yeah... if I could be 25, knowing ALL that I know today? I would do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise - not so much. :wink:

Shamac - Hello and Welcome! Day One is a good place to be... a whole world of possibilities awaits... You can do this!

NYKaren - *waves*

Well, I figured I would take a few minutes here... since Dinner is in the crockpot and waiting for me and DH won't suffer from the extra half hour.

Hugs for everyone!

Re in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.53min, 14.7amph, 129mhr, 2.6mi = 72c
    jog- 10.28min, 9.55ap, 138ahr, 1.0incl, 6.1sp, 1.05mi = 135c
    other- various- 8lb ball toss, jump rope, squats on bosu ball, etc- 35min, 135mhr = 187c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.16min, 140amhr, 12ammph, 1mi = 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.51min, 8.6amph, 150amph, 2.5mi = 163c
    total cal 612
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Evening! About time for bed. But wanted to catch up! Was short steps tonight as DH told me as we were leaving work that we were meeting friends for dinner-ugh! Hadn't planned on that. I am so stuffed even after 30 mins walking and I only ate the burger, cheese, and quacamole. Left the bread and DH ate the tator tots. Feeling okay with myself as I managed to get my 10,000 at least! :)

SugarDarlin- Good luck tomorrow with Colonoscopy. You will remember lots more about the prep than the procedure. I was worried when I had mine done as my DH had one done a few years earlier. Let's just say the prep has come a long way! Mine was much gentler than his. My only tip is eat light afterwards. One friend only eats burgers and steaks, he was miserable after his!

Tracey- I love the quote you shared!

Katla- One of the exercises the PT gave me for my shoulder was to take a soup can, bend at waist with arm holding can hanging down, make circles first one direction then the other up to 50 times each way. It helps a bunch as I have arthritis in mine. Hope this helps some.

Welcome to Chris and Shamac!

Becca- So glad you were there for your DH. Remember to take care of yourself. It is so hard to remember that when we are caring for others.

The pictures are Mandy and Sara. My fur babies!

The other one is my family. Both my daughters, their husbands, and all four grands. Me and my DH too! ;)

Sleep well everyone!

Kyliab7tpvl1tsm7s.jpg
    uwwxq7l2rl1p.jpg
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    It was late last nite, I didn't even finish reading all the post.

So....I have wonderful news, Raymond received a job offer from Sandia Labs.

Let me just say after 13 years of TexMex, I am having a hard time getting my Mexican food fix.

To all you gals in Texas, especially near Houston, I so miss the humidity, sort of.

Well,time to sit back and watch the Astros play baseball.

This post just made me laugh! I mean we are living each other's old lives.
    1. We are New Mexicans in our hearts. Went to school in Las Cruces, my husband is from Silver City and we lived in Eastern NM for many years. I grew up driving down to Santa Fe every month from our home in Colorado. It was closer than going to the cities in Colorado (and no mountain pass plus relatives to see).
    2. I SO miss the dryness, this Houston humidity kills me even after 15 years! The good thing about your heat is that if you step in the shade it's cooler. Here it is just still hot hot hot.
    3. Tex-mex.... no way, give me good old New Mexican mexican food. We have found ONE place in Houston that has good New Mexican food with an emphasis on Hatch chiles. Can't beat pancake enchiladas, green sauce with an egg on top. :smile: It really is different isn't it. I would suggest Sadies or Garduños in Albuquerque.
    4. Astros.... they aren't doing so bad this year. But I'm a Cubs fan and will never forgive the Astros for changing leagues because I rarely get to see my beloved Cubbies anymore!
    5. Congrats on the job at Sandia. I went there once with the Boy Scouts for the Atomic Energy merit badge (no longer offered by the scouts and then we went up to Los Alamos to finish it up.

• pipcd34
    Options
    E
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Well wonderful women I had a page of responses to some of your great posts & pics but they're so old now I guess why bother!

Except Janetr your photo in Colorado reminded me of Lucy in the movie The Long, Long Trailer...love the movie & your picture.

Re here are my stats for the Lose 24

STARTING WEIGHT: 218
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 213 - 1 more pound & my BMI will be under 30...yahoo!
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK) : -2
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): -5
    GOAL WEIGHT: 194
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 19

Sharon I live 25 mile north of Boston & Chris (mikesmom) also lives not too far from Boston...welcome.

Still way behind I'm reading but can't seem to find time to reply just now...DH has injured his back, SI joint, in great pain even with Percocet. He's using a walker to get to minimally get around all ready finished one round of tapered prednisone & still taking muscle relaxant. Tomorrow trying a acupuncturist before going to cortisone injections. This is all because he dug two 30' 18" deep trenches for the gas & electric lines for our new pool...over my strenuous objections I might add.

Augusts goals will include kettlebell exercise thanks to Mary & lots of swimming

GLo trying to catch up on the North Shore of Ma...also more than frustrated with DH :s
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey ladies! Not quite 50 yet...will be in November, so hope it's ok to join the conversation. My goal for August is to continue my pattern of steady loosing the same as I have been since hitting this app seriously in May. Also, to prepare for my knee replacement surgeries in September and October. We are currently in Arizona and will be leaving here in a couple days to go to Houston, TX which is where I will have surgery. We live in our RV for my husbands job since he travels all the time. Once back in the campground in Houston I will have a pool, jacuzzi and a exercise room to use! Can't do lots of exercise due to my knees, but some will help strengthen my quads for the surgery. Good luck to you all on your goals!!

Kim (I'm assuming here) - Welcome. We take not quite 50s too :) I'm much older than you (67 in November) but I had both knees replaced last year and I am thrilled. My knees had been so bad for so long that I was very inactive. I had gastric bypass surgery in Dec. 2013 and lost 125 and was hoping that miraculously my knees would be better, sadly they were not. I still could not really walk on a treadmill for more than 10 minutes or so. I now alternate 3 days a week of weight resistance training with three days of walking for 60-65 min. on the treadmill. I rest on Sundays. Yesterday I did 50 goblet squats with a 25 lb. kettlebell. Sooooooo all this long story to say YOU CAN DO THIS. Check in each day and join right in. My husband and I spend time in AZ in our RV in Jan/Feb. Oh also, sign with a name on each post so we know what to call you.

Janetr OKC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Kim and Melaniemetoyer: Belated Happy birthday to you both!

Charleen: Sorry I didn't have a chance to make it to the county fair to see your prize winning quilt. Congratulations!!!

Becca: So proud of you for keeping it together to help your DH through so many physical challenges.

Heather: Your DGC in the jammies…. <3<3<3

It took me awhile to catch up with you all after spending a few days working in New York and getting behind with reading your posts. Friday, I head to El Paso, then will drive to Alpine, Texas where Lisa and I have planned to meet up this Sunday.

Has anyone heard from NCCarol? How about Sylvia? Hope they are okay.

Okay, enough screen time and Olympics ogling for tonight.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Rockies

August Goals
    > Continue abstaining from alcohol.
    > Eat mindfully
    > Weigh less at the end of the month
    > Practice Reiki daily
    My word for 2016: Optimism

• MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've only been on here a couple of days and I have to say you all are a super nice bunch of girls. To the newbies just posting today, a big welcome.
    I found a new not so guilty pleasure this evening that really satisfied my sweet tooth. I heated one cup of unsweetened almond milk then added 2 tbsp no sugar added Nesquik. It was yummy. Hot, creamy and very satisfying.
    I can't remember who mentioned the food scale but I do have a digital scale that I use all the time. I think I bought it at Walmart. I know portion control is critical to success. I'm also an avid label reader. Thirty years of weight watcher meetings drills these things into you. LOL
    I wish I'd just followed through with everything I learned but no use crying over spilled milk.
    Now is my time. I will succeed. I will not quit and I will post everything that goes in my mouth except my coffee. I drink it black, no sugar.
    Good night everyone.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: You are a strong & courageous woman. I am impressed by how well you deal with the challenges of your DH's health. :flowerforyou: My husband also has health issues that shape our lives. I know from experience how challenging it can be to have a chronically sick husband. You are doing the best you can and taking things as they come along. I think you are amazing. (((HUGS)))

Kylia: I'll try the soup can idea. Thanks! :smiley:

I think I'll see what Olympic news there is before I call it a night. I'm looking forward to yoga tomorrow. I'm planning to try the kettle bell swings again with the next size heavier weight. It will still be pretty light.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Glo- yeah! I hope you love the Kettlebell results! Don't forget to take measurements!

Becca - (((hugs))) to you and your DH.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    F
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Sit down this evening to watch the Olympics and did for a minute before I fell asleep to only wake up cause my DH who works over night was looking for his car keys! Hopefully I can go to bed in an hour or so!

We had beautiful weather today in Idaho which I was grateful for! Our community activity today was to take our peeps to their volunteer jobs and than to the park following that! The air quality was ok too.

When I started trying to be healthier again it was very hot outside and air quality poor! But able to worki out by going in the Y. Yesterday I was able to complete a water class that is at a harder level. It was good! Tuesday and Thursday I walk the indoor track. But today my legs were sore first time. I think maybe it was from yesterday

@Chrissygbulldog3. -- Welcome!
    @DrKatiebug. -- love it !
    @cityjaneLondon -- cute pictures the great animal hunt looks like a success !
    @Miriam. I am glad that your daughter is ok.

Today was 10 days I am going to do my first weight in on Thursday ! It is at my doctor appointment!

Wishing everyone a good evening!

Elizabeth
    Beautiful Treasure Valley of Idaho!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, big hugs to you and gentle hugs to your husband. It sure gives hospitals a bad rep when they send someone home in that much pain. But I am glad they got new stents in. Here's to a good recovery.

Heather, your pic of all three kids was so precious. We watched part of a game of rugby on TV from the Olympics. Girl, that is one rough sport. At least our football players have a lot of protective gear on. I read that the head of USA rugby is hoping that the Olympics will make it a more popular sport in the US.

I felt real proud of myself today. I wave not liked the tV coverage of the Olympics at all. It is all about the USA teams. Well I will back up and say we haven't watched team sports like basketball, volley ball, etc. It's more swimming and gymnastics. Plus in swimming it has been the Michael Phelps show. The Rio Olympics is not the Michael Phelps show. So I found out what time the women's gymnastics team final was and was able to figure out how to stream it live. That was big for me. I mean BIG!!!! ow that I have that figured out I think I can now watch some shows from CBS, FOX and ABC. NBC is the only one I can easily watch in my iPad. But now I think I can do it! Was very proud of our girls today. Was also glad that I could finally watch other countries. Was proud of the young lady from Great Britain who had injured herself the first day and was able to compete pretty well today.

Stress test is tomorrow afternoon. It is a chemical stress test. I am glad that it will be done along with an echocardiogram. That way I can have them look at my valves again.

Welcome again to all the newbies. Remember not to stress out if you fail. Tomorrow is another day.

Joyce, Indiana