Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Not even going to try to read the millions of posts made in the past day and a half... lol That will teach me to not check out the thread more often!

It is so hot these days I am hard pressed to move let alone exercise. I did go out and walk this morning but it was already hovering at the 90 degree mark at 8 this morning so I'm betting this afternoon will be spent in the cool indoors.

Willis Carrier is my hero.

Melting Marcelyn in Houston
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Gals,

Rough start at work today started me off frustrated and depressed. But a quick break to check in on you all was a great mood shifter. Thanks to all for the pick me up!

Heather- Adorable DGC! Tigers are very big in my family.

Katiebug- Totally Rockin the leggings! That top is perfect! You are an inspiration to reach outside the comfort zone and try new things. I will remember you next time I am shopping.

Katla-(I think it was) Thanks for the suggestion for the Apple store. I will have to see if there is one any where near us. For being a state capitol, we aren't very cosmopolitan in these parts.

"NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE- THE WORD ITSELF SAYS 'I'M POSSIBLE'" - Audrey Hepburn

Check in Later!

Tracey
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ha, Marcelyn, so I had to Google "who is Willis Carrier". I expected some Olympic athlete, but now I know better. I guess that explains why I've seen some air conditioning units with the brand name "Carrier". I've got zilch use for an AC right now, as it's 50°F out, windy and drizzling. I'm even at the point where I may light a fire in the fireplace tonight, though more for the cosy than for the heat.

I also got out this morning and ran 5 km (yay me!) but I'm spending the afternoon in the warmth indoors.

/Penny near the North Pole, where I can't let a little thing like cold, windy drizzle stop me from jogging, cause then I'll never go jogging
  • evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My goals for August are developing, shall I say. I have been able to walk a bit more during my beach vacation. But, the rain in SW Florida has dampened my desire
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello, Ladies

I will be back later to read up and do a proper post - but today is the challenge stats day - so I am posting here, as well as on the "official" thread.

Ding Dong the Puffy Princess is DEAD... WHOOT!

STARTING WEIGHT: 244
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 242
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK) : -6
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): -2
    GOAL WEIGHT: 220
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 22

Re in TX

you go gurl!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps - I Gotta nuther donation! don't know who it is again... it's signed iREne Smith.. is it you IremiaRe?? was the "Re" the hint??? if so, thanks so much!!!, if not, oopsieeeee
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    <3
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    DrKatieBug - Those are adorable leggings.

Miriam - I am so glad your daughter is OK.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    NY Karen - "....don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Thanks so much for the reminder. I know Barbie and Heather say this often and I "forget" it often . I ate pretty well while on our Colorado trip, but got in very little exercise. I had intended to but just didn't do it. I'm back into my exercise routine at home, I find I have a hard time keeping focused when my routine is interrupted. I think old age is settling in :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mia - Nice to see you this morning. How are you doing, are you continuing to heal well? Any thing on the job horizon? (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    GA Carol how are you doing? Hope all is going well for you. Its been very hot here and the humidity unbearable. I'm like Marcelyn in Houston, staying in the cool indoors.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    c
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Leonore: I've been having trouble with my left shoulder since before I fell and broke my wrist last winter. I've been putting up with it until recently by avoiding doing things that hurt. I haven't gone to a doctor about it. I had a massage before we left to visit DS & DDIL. The masseuse told me I have a frozen shoulder and her massage was very helpful. DDIL is a licensed Theraputic Pilates Instructor and she agreed that my shoulder is frozen. (I can move it in a full range of motion but it hurts like the dickens to do so.) It all started with me trying to saddle the horse I ride. I hurt my shoulder while trying to lift the saddle onto his back last December. I no longer saddle the horse myself and it makes me feel like a wimp. The saddle is bulky, awkwardly shaped, and weighs about 50 pounds. The horse's back is higher than my shoulders. DH offered to buy me a lightweight saddle but my teacher said no, so she saddles the horse. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: (((HUGS))) :heart:

Tracey: I love this quotation, "NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE- THE WORD ITSELF SAYS 'I'M POSSIBLE'" - Audrey Hepburn. Thanks for sharing! :bigsmile:

Today I plan to continue cleaning house. The dog is shedding like mad & the floors I vacuumed yesterday have clumps of dog hair on them this morning. :grumble: I hope to watch Olympic Show Jumping today on the internet. It doesn't get televised in general, but the cameras are there and the commentators are there. I watched the cross-country race yesterday on my computer. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Good day so far.
    Marcelynh, I'm north of you in the piney woods of east Texas and it is disgustingly hot and humid here too. I think I've opened my shades twice in the last two months.

I have a question for anyone who is experienced with keeping the carbs low. I really think because of my age & the fact I'm so overweight that low carb is going to be my best option. It will also be a huge challenge because I'm a carb junkie. I love bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and yes, sugar. I never met a dessert I didn't like.
    But I've reached a place where I want healthy more than any of those things. I'm tired of joint pain and feeling tired all the time. I'm tired of requesting a table at a restaurant because I can't squeeze my big rear into a booth. I want to breath & tie my shoes at the same time.
    Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
  • frankiesgirl21
    Options
    KATLA-
  • frankiesgirl21
    Options
    That's twice now my computed hiccupped in the middle of a post.

Katla- Thanks for the Apple suggestion again. DH found one about and hour and a half away and called them and they set up an appt. for Thurs. He liked the appt. so didn't mind the distance. I told him to play a round of golf somewhere that direction so it wouldn't be a singular mission. Fingers crossed. I just read that Edison post somewhere recently and it caught me too. So true.

Marcelynh- Low carbing can take a little getting used to. I have done it more than once (currently) because I like carbs more than they like me. Going cold turkey can have some side affects such as headaches but they don't usually last more than a couple of days til your body adjusts. You could try gradually reducing them too I suppose if all at once is too drastic. After a couple of days I find that I really don't crave them nearly as often. But each of us is different and the same plan does not suit us all. I know there are recipes out there for cauliflower mashed and rice (which I have been too lazy to try yet but will some time) and zoodles and such so try searching for low carb recipes on line. Variation is one of the keys I think to not getting bored with any plan. Please be sure to drink lots of water too... We here in PA are not so hot and humid today but the 5 day forecast says it will be back with a vengeance.

TRACEY
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps - I Gotta nuther donation! don't know who it is again... it's signed iREne Smith.. is it you IremiaRe?? was the "Re" the hint??? if so, thanks so much!!!, if not, oopsieeeee

Yes, Pip

the RE was the hint.

Ride, Pip, Ride!!

:]

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    MrsGLT wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Good day so far.

I have a question for anyone who is experienced with keeping the carbs low. I really think because of my age & the fact I'm so overweight that low carb is going to be my best option.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am like you - going "low" but not super low carb. In general, I aim for more protein than carbs in any given day. I read a lot of labels- just because it says Protein doesn't mean it's any good. I had some Special K protein water... um - yeah. 5 grams of protein - 6 carbs. Useless.

So... I eat a lot of Light and Fit Greek yogurt - the protein is higher than the carb count and it tastes great. And the bonus with the yogurt is, you need calcium to process protein - so the yogurt is all one neat package - protein, calcium and delicious creamy flavor.

I also use Premier Protein shakes to make coffee lattes - I will have one of those as my breakfast - since I generally don't do food in the morning, anyway. Premier protein has 30 grams of protein - 4 or 5 grams of carbs - depending on the flavor - and again - calcium right there in the mix.

Another staple for me is lunch meat (turkey, ham, salami) and cheese roll-ups. If you MUST, you can use a little dipping sauce to give it a little zing - but I generally just use a good sharp cheddar (Cabots!) and some good tasty lunch meat. LOTS of protein, some calcium and almost no carbs.

Good luck!

Re in TX