WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    EXERMOM yes it has to do with fitness, American Council on Exercise Group Fitness Certification. At one time I had a Nutrition and Wellness Certification and also Personal Trainer through ISSA (International Sports Science Assoc) but I let them expire. I have been contemplating renewing them.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,560 Member
    Options
    ReRe B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :devil:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    For some reason I don't like blueberries. The only way I will eat them is in pancakes. And some places they are mixed up to much, I want the whole blue berry in the pancake. And cracker barrel's blue berry syrup is delish! I am sure it is also a lot of calories so I haven't had blue berry pancakes for awhile now. But if they are in a fruit dish, I do ask for a substitute.

I have been blah today. I guess I have been worrying about my appointment on Tuesday. I told Charlie that him driving me could be his first time to get the keys but he declined. To early in the morning. Now he may end up changing his mind. I hope so. I have seen my MS doctor since 1997 and he has never gone to an appointment with me. I have made it a pint to go to each and every appointment he has had. I think it is a marriage thing. Now his appointment with his surgeon for his ileostomy is 30 minutes before my neuro appointment so I won't go to that. But it is his last follow up with him so it isn't that important for me to go.

We are supposed to get drenched this weekend also. Predicting 5-7 inches. July was already our wettest in history, don't know what August will be.

Joyce, tired in Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,229 Member
    Options
    Katla - What's up?

I had a lovely surprise yesterday - a delivery of a bunch of flowers! It was from DDIL. <3 A thank you for looking after the DGC. We feel we should be thanking them for lending us them.

Did 10 minutes of kettlebell swinging after my machines today. I am so sore when I start with my pesky hip, but it doesn't get any worse as I go on and I recover ok , so I am trying to ignore it.

Quiet day today, so I will do some memoir. :D Promise.

Dinner is roasted guinea fowl. I hope DH has bought some nice veg to go underneath.
    I didn't follow a recipe for the pork dish yesterday, but used 8 oz fillet and 3 oz green lentils, a smidgen of fried off pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, half a stock cube, a scant bit of paprika and opened a tin of chipotle chillies in adobo sauce and used one chilli and some sauce. It was hot enough for DH! I have frozen the rest of the chillies in an ice cube tray. I cooked it in the pressure cooker on high for 30 minutes with enough water to absorb the lentils. It came out a bit watery, so I boiled it off a bit with two quartered tomatoes while the runner beans were cooking. I think shoulder would be a better cut, but much more fatty. This way it comes out at 400 per portion.

Heather UK

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday Morning!

Am excited this morning! The scale is below 130 for first time in months!!!!!! :D Now to not sabotage myself. Keep the steps up! Checked my food diary with my youngest daughter's nutritionist's recommendations. I definitely need to work on veggies and carbs. Apparently I don't get enough. So goal for this coming week is to get in my veggie servings. I am not a big carb eater, so am not as concerned with that, but need to lower the fats.

Katla- I hope all is okay. (((hugs)))

Michele in NC- Unfortunately the stumps are still there. Maybe they will get removed if I have to have someone come out and take down the other two trees. They are over 50' tall and close to house. That makes it a no for me to try to take down. ;)

Joyce in IN- We have rain in the forecast for the next 6 days. But that is okay. We have been in a drought since the middle of June. The business is slow for this time of year (in many years). Please send that rain this way. A few years ago we had little to no Fall business as it was so dry that the trees lost their leaves before fall. Keeping fingers crossed that we get the rain.

I hope you all have a great weekend. Husband and I are suppose to go to a car show that is rain or shine this afternoon after work. I am not cleaning up the car too much until we are there. Tomorrow is grands day, then an errand with husband. I need to try to get to store and get laundry done sometime. I am running out of bras! Walking and sweating = going through lots of bras! :p

Time to get some things done before work. Have a great one!

Remember to smile.....lots of people are thinking nice thoughts about you!

Kylia hoping to be wet in OH this weekend!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all

Peace and quiet, coffee, sun is up and no one else....just me and all of you. Stretch!!! More coffee!!

The tornado that went through the house picked up all the toys and put them away before she went to bed...Grandma let her sleep too long in the afternoon so she wasn't bathed and ready for bed until 10 p.m.....sort of like 2 hours after her normal bedtime... oopps!! , henceforth the trips up and down the stairs taking the toys back, I needed to poop her out....... And the little man who is 6 weeks old...well he has his own schedule. Good thing the parents came and crawled into the bed downstairs and took him with them....they are feeding him this morning at 5 a.m. He is a breastfeed baby - so there were bags of frozen breast milk that arrived with him. And daddy can feed him during the night when he wakes up. And because the parents didn't come home until 2 a.m. they will never know how late their children were up....lol..

Today, we are (Hopefully) off to my mom's house to haul the heavy stuff out of the house and get it to the garage. I want to have a garage sale next weekend. And number one son is hopefully going to help!! That is supposed to be payback for looking after the kids yesterday.....

Oh ya and the towel sorting and sheet sorting thing....well the towels that looked okay (they are white) went to one of the kids...they put them downstairs in their guest bathroom. The other DDIL would not want them unless they were her color .... okay fine with me. All the rest of the towels are in the shop...grease rags. The sheets.... well my neighbour lady said she went to a garage sale and bought used sheets to cover her garden in the fall.... so the sheets are in a plastic bag in the shed - ready for the fall to cover my pumpkin and cucumbers and tomatoes... and the fitted sheets are in the shop...more grease rags. DH said you can never have enough grease rags.

DDIL who just had baby Jax 6 weeks ago is talking about starting the Modere M3 pledge, and the friend that I golfed with on Thursday is starting it too.... So I asked questions.... well.... the first thing in the morning is something with caffeine in it and it isn't my cup of coffee!!! Literally!! DDIL said she will have to stop drinking coffee when she starts it .... goodness.... I like sitting here in the morning drinking my coffee..... But I hope it works for both of them.. One thing I notice about people when they start these diets...they go out of their way to justify the tweaking they do to the "plan".... I told my friend she should just follow it for a month and then do the tweaking if it isn't working for her!! Silly people - throw out all that time and money and then complain it didn't work - well what do you expect!! There that is my rant for the day...Lol....

Okay... people are starting to move around so I better do get dressed....and make more coffee...

Have a great day all

Lillian
    in West Central Saskatchewan
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning, my fabulous fitness friends.

Instead of a walk this morning, I cut grass with the push mower. My Fitbit, in its amazing ability to detect your exercise says I rode an outdoor bike.

The scale is moving nicely, albeit slowly. Two-tenths of a lb and I will be down 20 from Jan 1. I credit weight training for much of this success. I can feel that obese category getting closer to the door.

Joyce, your upcoming doctor's appointment is on my mind and in my prayers. Same with Barbie. Hope you both get some answers.

Welcome to the newbs! Lurk, chime in, respond or just report in. We are glad you are here.
  • pipcd34
    edited August 2016
    Options
    morning peeps -

supposed to be hot today. won't b taking the kids with me to go workout, will b 2 hot for them to stay in the car. then i have to meet someone (sold my cd holder) so she can pick it up. then to goodwill to drop off some stuff, then to starbucks to get my usual breakfast (weekends only). then take a drive up to covington where they are working on the airstream and take the tv's so they can install them (15" w/dvd for living room and 19" for bedroom). had to get new tv cuz it is digital. we r having them replace the antenna cuz it was analog and i'll get to see what it looks like polished! kirby's working so i'm flying solo. when i get home, i'll start up laundry then fill up the kiddie pool for the kids so they can cool off.

oh and i'm up to $540 beans in my MS donations!!!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Anne ~ I love your hair!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Saturday! We have had a rainy 24 hours. I was hoping the rain would chase away the humidity, but we are still sitting at 98% humidity levels. It is mid 80's right now and will get into the 90's later today. The air is on, but my house is so stuffy. Ugh! As soon as the humidity drops, I am opening everything up.

Today is house cleaning day, as the weather outside is uncooperative to outdoor work. I have eggs boiled to make egg salad for the hubs, will make a meatloaf for him as well. My neighbor brought me about six zucchini, so I will make a zucchini bake and slice and freeze the rest to add to meals. Doing my veg prep also, but all I really have to do this week is wash and store greens. I took veggies to my family reunion last week and still have plenty ready to eat/cook. Making frozen yogurt cones for the kiddos. I use a sugar cone and blend strawberries into a bowl of vanilla yogurt and blueberries into another bowl of van yog. I layer the yogurt into the cones then top with a few white chocolate chips, wrap in foil, and freeze. My entire house needs a good scrub down as the past few weekends have been too busy for anything but a cursory swipe with a Clorox wipe once in a while. Also, it seems to be sugar ant season. They are invading my living room. Although they keep the kiddos entertained, I would rather keep the wildlife and creepy crawlies outside.

I did venture down to the pier and the fish cleaning station, this morning after grocery shopping, and found some charter fishermen who caught more than they needed, and sold me about 10 pounds of trout and lake perch for $20! Yea! Guess what is going on the grill tonight?! I will gladly grill in the rain for a fish dinner!

DYS woke up this morning very disappointed. Our local air field is having their annual open house/pancake breakfast and he had signed up for an early morning bi-plane ride out over the lake and dunes and circle back over the down town area. The rain and fog has grounded the planes until it clears. He will try again later this afternoon if the weather clears and they aren't booked. It is his first weekend off in a couple months and probably his last weekend off until Christmas break, due to school starting in a couple weeks. His bi-plane ride was his kick off event and then he was going to head up north for some camping/hiking. His camping buddy cancelled, so he is a very mopey young man. Been trying to convince him to go up anyway and do his thing. But I think it is just the lack of confidence in youth. Not wanting to experience things alone, or venture out alone. Funny how we get older and that alone time is something we look for.

Pressure cooker cookers- Blue ribbon for bravery! LOL! I haven't ever tried a pressure cooker, because I remember my mom's exploding when I was young. What exactly is a pressure cooker doing? Is it boiling? or roasting? steaming? Perhaps another reason I haven't tried it is I distinctly remember winter veggies being in that thing. Turnips, parsnips, beets, squashes...not my favorites as a child.

Kylia- Congrats on the scale victory! I hear you on the bra issues! I am holding out for a big sale so I can go load up.
    Lillian- Quiet coffee mornings are the BEST! Your DGD sounds like a busy girl! At least she sleeps through the night, right?
    Joyce- I am not a blueberry person, either. In fact, I don't eat any WHOLE fruits except granny smith apples. My fruit issues stem back from a childhood of digestive/bowel issues and being force fed fruit. SO, I suppose it is psychosomatic. I do get my fruits in by pureeing them into yogurt. Berries are my favorite to eat this way.

Olympic watchers - I have been recording the swimming so I can watch at my leisure. My dh is not an Olympic watcher. I sat down last night and started watching Thursday's swim events. DH walks in and flops on the couch and says "Jesus! Is that all that is on the Olympics this year, is swimming?" LOL! Usually for me it is! He seemed interested in the women's gymnastics team as I tried to explain the scoring and what the judges are looking for. We watched the two Russian women compete in the all-around, and I made the comment that they were doing the beautiful, graceful dance like movements in their floor routine and that it wasn't going to be enough to get them the gold this year. DH didn't understand what I meant until he saw the powerful and athleticism in the American women's routines. He was impressed. But then he had to go all "man-like" and ask why Ali Raisman was crying after her routine. His words "Doesn't she think she did well enough?"...men. Then it went back to swimming and Katie Ledecky swimming the 800free. I explained to him that an 800 was sixteen lengths of the pool. him: "You're going to watch the whole thing?" He started dozing before the race even started. But I kept waking him up. "Look at her lead! Tim! You have to watch this! She's amazing!" LOL! It is hard being married to me.

Wow! That's a lot of words! Sorry for the rambling; maybe it's a rainy day thing. ttyl <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Anne- YOUR HAIR! Eeeek! I love it! You look fabulous! And puh-leeze! I gave up on the round brushes. I am the queen of round brush messes. I go with the half round and save my hair the grief and stress of my uncoordinated efforts.
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Please feel to add me. Joined in July and friend folder is still empty as still trying to figure out how to add. I'm of the older set 50+ and need to loose 80 pounds which is going really slow. Would love friends to keep me motivated.

Barb - Hammond IN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Heather& Kymaral: Thanks for asking what's up. I haven't been very chatty lately, and I'm not sure why. We've been finding ways to get a little fun into our days. We met my cousin & his wife for dinner a few days ago at a Chinese place in Kalama, Washington. It is miles from both of our homes. We live on opposite sides of the Columbia River about 5 or 6 miles apart as the bird flies. Unfortunately, the nearest bridges are miles away between Portland, & Vancouver, Washington or miles away between Ranier, Oregon and Longview, Washington. This restaurant is about 10 miles south of Longview, and the food is an amazing combination of wonderful and moderate price. My cousins are getting noticeably chubby & I could see why based on their order of deepfried everything. DH & I ordered things that are not fried, and our food was delicious. This restaurant makes huge portions & the food is good. I don't know how they accomplish it at the prices they charge. The rent must be low. :noway: The devil has had my tongue lately, which is why I've been a bit more silent than usual. (no real excuse.)

Anne from WI: You look so wonderful! It is hard to believe you're 50+. :bigsmile:

This would usually be my riding lesson day, but my teacher had a conflict and shifted it to Sunday. I am really looking forward to it. Another student and I are going to go out for a trail ride. I'll bet I've already written about this happy development, and I'll bet I write about it again.

I used the kettle bell at the gym again yesterday before yoga but bumped up to a 15 lb kettle bell. It felt good. I came home with reduced shoulder pain & feeling very good. Later in the day I got a haircut and had a pedicure. I never would have imagined how nice it is to get a pedicure when the kids were growing up. No money in our budget back then, and I didn't know what I was missing. Now I get them every month and a half or so.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Heather – Washing the sheets don’t really bother me; it is that DH constantly ‘moans and groans’ like he is in so much pain. He isn’t one to ‘take meds’; but, they help. He doesn’t like how he feels when he takes it; especially, in the mornings. I can understand that. His MD is out-of-town; so when he got 'blood' in it he called and spoke to the nurse, who asked one of the other MDs about it and was told 'it is probably from the 'irritation' of the catheter ... ya think? Doesn't seem normal to me; but, I am not a doctor either. Just have to keep from staining my sheets is not easy.

KarenE – So, not ‘sweet’ like a Benét [sp] (Louisiana do-nut) covered in powdered sugar? But, not hard like the chips you get with salsa? Sounds like something I’d like to try. I love anything ‘hot and spicy’. Would this be an entrée? Might have them at the ‘high-end’ Mexican Restaurant in Americus (which is about 5 miles closer to us). I don’t think I have seen them on San José here in town; but, they also have a ‘new’ menu, that I have not gone enough times to read.

Becca – I really think before long, we are going to have to actually sit down and talk about the thinner box springs. We sort of roll into the bed, too! We each have a 'nest' on our side of the bed. But, I think it has been harder on DH because of the ‘bag’ that is strapped around his leg in 2 places. When I made the bed yesterday, I put the garbage bag under the fitted sheet. He hasn’t complained about it (yet). But, now that he has stained the water-proof mattress pad, can’t send it back. I know it might be too ‘hot’. I think this might require us to ramp up our mattress pad warmed this winter. I love to get into a ‘warm’ bed on a cold night; and, we have 2 different controls.

The little brown spiders, similar to the one on the wall, are jumpy! Never know where they are going to jump! What really bothers me are the ‘wolf spiders’ … won’t find me lying on the grass without something under me. They make their nest underground and then lay there waiting for something to eat to come by. We don’t have too many of them and they are rarely seen. Our ‘bug man’ says that you can’t really spray for spiders as they walk on pads on their feet.

Skuehn48 – It also makes me feel ‘old’ that my DOS is 40 this year; even older that my DOGD turned 20 this year (his child from a different “Mama”). My DYS and both of their wives turn 38 in the month of August 4th, 9th, and 31st. Will take DYS and DDnL#2 ‘out to eat’ at their favorite restaurant. Gave $$ to DDnL#1 and told her that I ‘expected’ for her to buy something for herself and NOT to use it to pay any of their bills. Period, the end. She has taken the job at the RYDC even though it doesn’t pay very much and will still ‘look’ for something better.

Turns out that it is only part-time anyway. 30 hours a week. She told me yesterday that (at full-time) it would have paid less that ‘minimum wage’ and I told her that is ‘no way’ that a ‘state job’ could get away with paying less than ‘minimum wage’. That’s when she said it was ‘really part-time). Or approximate 1150 hours a year. If they figure it that way it is closer to $15 an hour. But, even then, she would not be able to afford to get health insurance, even 'if' they offered it - she'll have to pay for it herself, and bring home enough. She’d ‘like’ to find an ‘entry level’ job that pays about that and be ‘full-time’. I think she is going to be ‘sorely’ disappointed.

It looks like it is going to be nice and sunny here today, at least until late afternoon. Today, for sure, I am going to get in the pool. Maybe I won’t get ‘dizzy’ today; won’t take my ‘dizzy’ meds until I get home. Actually, I would really like to ‘tackle’ cleaning out my art studio; but, what I really want to do is ‘totally’ empty it; make a section for DH to put his shutters and doors inside to dry ‘if it is going to rain’. And keep about 2/3rd of it as my studio. I have a plan; but, DH won’t feel like doing it as long as it gets up in the high 90’s. I want to take the carpet out. Actually it is pieces and feels so ‘dirty’; probably IS dirty. Want to buy some ‘light’’ colored linoleum and I think we could go to the ‘carpet’ warehouse to get a piece. I want it to be easier to clean up since I paint out there and have been known to drop my pallet.

All our DGDs are a little chunky at this point. The ‘middle’ one is a picky eater; so she has to cook her own meals; DDnL#1 is not about to cook a separate meal. DOGD has gained that “Freshman 15” every year she’s be in ‘college’; but, Lord, you cannot say anything to her because it will make her cry. DDnL#1 said that she is getting more and more like her ‘Mother’ (bitchy and controlling) and that makes ‘her’ mad, too. DYGD is a little overweight for her age and frame. DMGD is so ‘self-conscious about her weight [but mostly about wearing a bathing suit]. She did not even wear a pair of shorts when we went to the beach. Actually none of us did. But, I have already gotten enough sun for the summer. I somethings wear a T-shirt over my bathing suit to keep my shoulders from really getting too tan. I can remember in HS, getting 2x darker than I am now; but, I was a lifeguard at the city pool and stayed out in it close to 6 hours a day; at the hottest time of the day and on vacation would walk up and down the beach (to flirt with the lifeguards). But I weighed 116lbs back then. LOL!!!!!

jmlmomm – Twelve years ago he had ‘prostate cancer’; and the seed treatment. About a year ago, he had problems with being able to urinate; and, then he couldn’t stop the flow once he started. Wears Depends; but, got to the point he was soaking them (for the same reason). I found that there are some pads to put in them (much like what women wear during their cycles); and, that helped. Shortly before that he had to be hospitalized because of kidney stones. So everything was going as well as could be expected. About 6 months ago, he started with this ‘moaning and groaning’ trying to urinate; and, I thought he was having kidney stones again. He told me ‘no’; and kept on. I finally told him he had 2 choices; either let me take him to the hospital or I’d call an ambulance. He finally told me that maybe I needed to take him to the hospital. I really knew he was hurting, if he agreed to go to the hospital. But, did not want to be sitting in the waiting room for hours. I took him to Americus, rather than to downtown Albany’s hospital which is used as a 'clinic' most of the time. The 'north' campus is usually not as bad. It’s really much closer to us, than to go into Albany. We were gone 4 hours from the time we left home, got seen, and back home. If we had gone to the ‘city’ hospital … we’d have been still sitting there 4 hours later, at least, before being seen. He continued doing the ‘moaning and groaning’ when we got to the ER; and, got put in a room and before the MD came in to see him … he had ‘wet’ everything and was no longer in pain. He was told by the ER MD, that he could put in a catheter; but, since he already had an appointment with his Urologist the next Friday, he would not put him through that. He was so embarrassed that they had to find some paper scrubs to wear home. But, you have to do what you have to do.

I went with him to the Urologist who told him that he could ‘change’ the medications; but, thought that he really need to put him through a procedure to look into his bladder. Probably because I must have had the look on my face that I was ‘tired’ of him trying medications that were not working. That time, they put him asleep; this last time he was ‘fully’ away. IF they EVER have to do it again, they WILL put him to sleep. The first time he only wore the bag for a week, and he *kitten* the entire time. This time he has been in so much pain (and was given pain meds) and to wear it 3 weeks (gets it off – maybe – the Friday before we leave to go to visit DYS in Louisiana. I hope he is not ‘in pain’ because I won’t be able to help him drive – on a ‘driving restriction’ for having a seizure 5/12. I don’t want to have to ‘put off going to see DYS and his family). I only get to see them 2 or 3x a year as it is.

I had never liked blueberries either until my DDnL#1’s step-granddaddy let up come up and pick some ‘fresh’ ones. I think it is because once they are frozen, the texture of them changes. I would pick for a while; then eat for a while. He never used any chemicals on them, so they were ready to eat right off the tree. We haven't be up there for a couple of years.

Mimi used to have raspberries that she’d go out to pick in the morning, and we’d have a small bowlful each time we went to visit her when they were ‘ready’. YUMMY! But, they also have a texture that you have to get used to.

Kylia – How old are your grandchildren? My Mimi kept a grocery bag of “Lincoln Logs” in her kitchen pantry; would entertain us; and, as we got older we ran up the stairs and slid down the banister. Art projects always entertained me. I'd take a pad of paper and color crayons or a coloring book.

Re in Sweltering TX – First off, I hope you can get ‘cooler’ even ‘if’ you have to go into or stay in debt. Seems like when we have some ‘extra’ money something breaks down. With all my appliances over 15 years old, now … I am holding my breath that none of them ‘give out’. We put a ‘new’ coil in our AC – so that is running like new. Just a ‘bandage’ fix; but, ½ the price of a new unit. Last night I turned around to get something off the counter; and, dropped to the floor. That’s not good; but, I think I got ‘dizzy’ and ‘not that I had a seizure’. I will see the MD in about 3 weeks and if it continues he will have to do something else. He might send me to my Neurologist and have he do an EEG on me to make sure that I don't have any 'active seizure activity going on that is causing the 'dizzy' spells. Get 'dizzy' then 'light-headed'. He’s perform several EKGs on me; and, none of them have shown him anything. I usually have an ‘aura’ before having a ‘seizure’; but ‘dizziness’ has never been one of them.

Michele in NC – I ‘surprised’ my son by bushing down the sides and bottom of the pool the other day rather than walk in it. Still was a lot of exercise; just a different part of my body. But, I could not reach down to pick up the leaves that had gathered in the middle. So he will have to do the vacuum type of cleaning; but, got all the slick spots caused by the dirt done.

Katla – We had 2 of our 5 blueberry bushes just full of blueberries; but, I had to get DH to take off the fencing over each tree to get them. I think he only got one bowl of them; the rest I ate. Unfortunately, the deer got all our grapes for the 2nd year in a row. I told him that before next year, we needed to put up something so they could not get in them. We’ve had them out there for over 10 years before they found them; but, I think Shorty kept them away because if they came close, she’d bark at them. She was afraid of ‘nothing’!

Lillian – While I nursed my 2 boys; we rarely went ‘out’ for very; but, the only person near us for the 1st one was my sister; and, she’d come over to watch him, more that we'd take him over there. When we lived in Macon after DYS son was born, we’d have a babysitter come over; but, either way, I nursed them before leaving. When I found out that I had an over-active thyroid gland (Grave’s Disease; which I probably developed during my pregnancy) we had moved back to Albany. I tried to ‘wean’ him; without any success. He would not take a bottle, if I was anywhere in the house. He'd just wait me out. I finally had to get my oldest sister to come get him and let him stay with them for a week while my ‘milk dried up’. I could have nursed twins both times without any problems. Had to wear pads in my bra to keep from wetting my tops. I probably could have donated milk to the local Lamaze support group we had when I had my DOS. With both sons (in the ’70’s) breast-feeding was highly encouraged. I’m glad that I did it; but, I would have liked to done it a little longer; but, at least they got 6 months of it. To me, it was a time to bond with my baby without others trying to hold him. It was a time that I had to myself, too. I had milk in my breasts for nearly 2 years after my DYS was born. My middle sister had had her first baby and was breast feeding her. She got very upset because nothing she was doing was satisfying the baby. She finally started crying herself, and handed her over to me; and she turned and started sucking my breast through my clothes; so I took off my top and nursed her; because middle sister was not 'letting down' because she was so upset. She was totally surprised that I could nurse her; but, I told her that back in 'biblical days', it was not unusual for there to be a 'nurse-maid' ... which did the same. She finally calmed down and I gave her back to her.

DOS would ‘stop’ as soon as he heard DH’s car door close; I finally told him to call me an hour before he was going to arrive, so that I could finish. DYS held his arm out and moved it in a “figure 8” to keep anybody away. Once, DH held his arm down to kiss me and he turned and looked at him and grunted his displeasure of being interrupted.

DOS still loves to be around his Daddy; DYS will call ‘in the middle of the day’ occasionally to hear my voice; especially when something has happened … like my wreck and seizure in May.

My DDnL#1 thinks that ‘somewhere out there, there is a magic pill she can take’ that will make the 100+lbs that she is carrying around will magically disappear. She hasn’t gone to the “Diet Doctor” since she lost her job; but, she says she hasn’t gain much … I told her it was going to be very important for her to measure her food – she can pack away some food; but, I do see she isn’t going back to get more’. Maybe she will continue losing some weight; or at least, not put it all back on. DOS has told her that ‘this’ was the LAST time he would pay for her to go to him, even if she got up to 300lbs. She had gotten close time before, when she had to go off it when DOGD went off to college. Then she seems to revert back to her ‘bad habits’ and gained+ it all back. I’ve been trying to ‘encourage her’; hopefully some of it will stick (to her brain and not to her body). They had bills to pay for that, even though she got the HOPE scholarship.

Anne from Wisconsin – I like your haircut. That is sort of what I want for mine. It’s getting too long; too short to put up, too long to let it get wet because it will frizz if I get ‘hot’. Still have a little of my permanent in my hair. When we go to LA; I will see if my DDnL#2 can ‘do something’ with it. I’ve been letting it grow out for over 2 years to get rid of the layers that I had when I wore it short. I still think if she cuts it, it is going to still have a little curl. EEK! I used to brush my hair with a round brush and curl my hair … and burn myself; until I got to watch her work on her clients. She used a flatter brush - actually just slightly curved; and then, when she starts to wind up the hair in a curler; she starts by putting it up about ½ way and pulls down as she is rolling up. It’s fairly easy to do; until I get to the back. But, she also starts with a head that has been toweled dried and blows it almost dry, so that she can dry it while she is curling it. Same with the man who cuts my hair at home.

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    welcome to all the newcomers!!
    Today it will clear 100 and humid as all get out.. early start.. got up and we went and fed DFIL and then came home and I used the riding mower to mow the lawn, Tom did push mower and weed wacking..
    Boss called and had an emergency at the office so of course who do they call? well I got 1/2 hrs pay out of it...
    with the heat it brings out more grumpiness from the king of grump... hopefully he takes a nap and leaves me the he** alone for awhile..
    he forgot my birthday back in June and his is monday, I will buy him a card.. thats what he will get.. dont feel like buying him anything..
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anne in WI, that haircut is a winner!! It looks fabulous! And so do you! I've always wanted a haircut like that, but it's not an option for the shape of my face.

Lenora, they can be sweet if you put honey in them...but nor if you stuff them with meat and chile peppers. The dough isn't sweet.

Ann in Saskatchewan, I like waking up before my family, too. Of course, that's not hard when there are no little ones about.

Heather, thanks for the recipe! I'm not a measure either, so I'll figure it out. Yes, pork butt would probably be tastier, alas! But much fattier, so I'll follow your lead.

About pressure cookers, when we were kids pressure cookers had only one way to release steam, usually a little steam release valve in the center of the lid that had a weight that bobbled on it when it was under pressure. If the valve got clogged and/or the pressure inside the pot went too high for the valve to release it fast enough, the pressure cooker could explode or the top blow off. I've heard about that, never actually saw it happen. Newer pressure cookers have two ways to release steam, so if one way gets clogged the other will release the steam. And if the pressure rises too high it gets released. I've had a couple of different kinds and they both worked well. Some people use pressure cookers, others use slow cookers. Slow cookers require more forethought in the morning. ;)

Re, Stay as cool as possible!

Katla, so glad your shoulder is feeling better, even with the higher kettle bell weight. Congrats!

Now to do my kettle bell swings. It's beastly here today. 93 by 11:30, which means it's only going to get worse.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    N