WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Barbie, so glad Jake is doing well.

Joyce, I sure hope you haven’t gotten yourself sick. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Cheri, I have been in the Eastern Time Zone for since 1980 and I still miss the Central Time Zone. You will learn that you actually gain an hour a day there because everything starts at the same time but ends an hour earlier. LOL Take your time and you’ll learn to love it. ((((Hugs))))

Irivera, welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. This is a great place for support and information so come often. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Heather, I think your DGC are lucky to have you as their Grandmother. I’m glad you are enjoying them but they are so darn cute how could you not?

Joyce, ewwww on that early morning appointment. But with that it’s just better to get it done! Sending good thoughts your way, my friend.

Re, I am so excited for you and how well you are doing!!! very-excited-smiley-emoticon.gif I know what you mean about that loose, flabby skin hanging where it used to be filled with fat. As ugly as we think it is, it is also so very wonderful!!! Keep up the great work.

Joyce, I’d let Charlie clean, too. Never stop a man in a cleaning mode! My DH has had a number of heart caths and never remember most of them. I think only the first one actually. I hope all goes well for you. From what I understand about symptoms of a heart attack for women is that they can vary widely.

Chris, good to hear from you but sorry it wasn’t better news. I hope your life will calm down so you have time to enjoy it. ((((Hugs))))

KarenVA, I love your lurkers.

Tracey, so sorry for your loss. That is a terrible way to go.

CarolGA, I hope your DH is okay. I’m sure he knew better but some nuts are just hard to turn down.

Re, so sorry about your AC. What a hot mess. Tee hee heehappy-moments-smiley-emoticon.gif

MicheleNC, so sorry that you are going to have to get in the pool every day to stir it up. I know you don’t want in there but like you said, life’s tough. splashing-smiley-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. If you haven’t already told us about yourself, please do. We are happy to have you join us.

My friend went to line dancing with me and did really well. She plans to continue going each week. I keep losing internet connection so it may take me a while to catch up. A serviceman is supposed to come sometime this weekend. I type my notes on a Word document so while it’s working, I pull up a page and can at least read it before I lose service again. (later) He came and we are back in business. The bummer is I bought a new modem/router because we thought that was the problem.
    My good friend and cruise buddy is having major problems with her daughter and grandchildren. The daughter has major mental problems and the kids are very unruly and disruptive. They all live together and my friend rarely gets a moment’s peace. I’m so worried about her and the kids. Her daughter lies to her doctors about everything so I don’t know if they will ever be able to help her. She and I went to lunch today just to get her out of the house. There is nothing but screaming and cursing all day and night. It’s really sad.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Liz
    From Caldwell, Idaho~
    Yep my husband IS doing better. Thanks for asking :-) It took forever for him to get rid of the gassy feeling he had, but he is eating better, and reading! When he was on the oxycodone pain medicine he stated that he couldn't concentrate on anything. So there was no computer game playing, and no reading. He just felt a little unglued. Only a day of that medicine and he stopped taking it.

Beth from Buffalo who is now in Nashville~ The amazing thing is that the recruiters come and take your son to be put on a plane to Great Lakes Ill. and even though they are suppose to give you a call when they get there, it is a 2 second phone call. Then a week later you receive a box with their civilian clothes and whatever they had on them at the time not necessary. My eldest sons box was crazy because his socks were literally in his pants and his pants were still in a wadded by the ankles look. Like they just jumped out of their clothes, jammed in a box and the box was taken away! (which probably happened). My eldest son also didn't call for a couple of weeks. I finally had to call the recruiter to get them to make something happen! But I have all the letters each of the sons sent me. When they tell you they are ironing their uniforms at 2 AM you think, "Who is this writing me?" My middle son just finished his last deployment cruise. He will be getting out Sept 18th. Our eldest son will most likely be a lifer, but our middle son just didn't like the stagnant life sometimes. As an Aviation Electrician you kind of wait around until something looks broken. A lot of looking at stuff that isn't broken. It will be interesting to see what he does next.

Exciting day tomorrow for you. Just feel the feelings and share in his excitement!

NYKAREN~ Wow the 2 week mark! I would tell her to pack, or at least organize things. It will be easier on her if she does. For you as well! Man, when my middle son left for bootcamp, he was sharing a room with his 8th grader of a brother. We had gone thru all this room, packed any stuff he wished to save. So the recruiter comes to get him, and so we moved all his boxes to our small apartment garage, and younger son fixed up his room. THEN that afternoon BACK he comes. I guess you can't be sworn in, in shorts so he needed some pants. He goes into his room and sighs, "Well that didn't take long!" The fact that we sold younger brothers bed earlier that month, and he has been on a sleeping bag helped with the transition. "OOh a bed now, oh goody!" You might say we are callus, but we are a military family, so its part of the deal.

Lenora~ Well in our apartment, our dining room wall butts up against our neighbors dining room wall. It's great because we have our bookshelves there, so we have made our own buffer. She is my lady friend, we get along really well, so no issues there. The guys though, the builders made the walls really thin between our living rooms, bathrooms, and bed rooms. Husband said we should just have noisy interludes, but then I probably would never get to play their piano! Then there is that embarrassment factor!

Kylia (still waiting for rain in OH)~ We had a rental home in the city once and it was like pulling TEETH to get people to interact. I waved at one lady for about one year before she took the first step and crossed the street to chat with me. I guess the military has ingrained in me the need to know my neighbors. You never know when you might need to rely on them! I know the neighbors cars, who lives where, and yep that might be nosey of me to know these things, it makes me aware of things. If any of you lived by me, well you could come over anytime and borrow a cup of conversation!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Becca - Since your neighbor's playing an electric piano, you might gently suggest that he wear headphones--almost all of them come with an earphone jack, he can be as loud as he likes without y'all hearing anything.

Meeting Rori at noon down in Alpine. Looking forward to it! We'll stop at the Davis Mountains State Park on the way there (the DH is coming with me) to see if the Black Bear Restaurant is open, and then drag Rori up there if it is. The building it's in, Indian Lodge, was built by the CCC way back, and is gorgeously placed on a steep hillside inside the Park. If the restaurant's open today, we'll head up there for lunch. If not, we may end up just eating at Dairy Queen. No matter, looking forward to the drive with the DH, meeting Rori, and just gabbing. Should be fun.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning. Peeping in with my coffee than have to get my self together. Need to go to store, do laundry, probably should figure out some meals before store ;), get in steps, be ready for grands about 11:30. It is going to be a busy week. Besides work, I am at a MK meeting with youngest daughter-Monday. Massage- Tuesday. Dermatology appt on Friday. Car show with festival on Saturday with local grands. County fair with grands on Sunday. Usually prefer to go to County fair during the week, but the local grands started school on the 10th of August, so adjustments had to be made. ;) Not a lot of time at home.

DJ- I love all your animations! I will add some prayers for your friend. It is hard to live with someone who is always angry whether it is from illness or just the way they see the world. (((hugs)))

Lisa in West Texas- I was going to suggest maybe headphone discussion too. The restaurant sounds lovely. Enjoy your day.

Becca- I believe those of us who have a military background just continue the tradition of our childhood longer than most people these days. My closest friends are from childhood or my military days. You really depended on your neighbors especially when you were all young and across the world from all family. My Husband has lived here since 1976 (well next door) and doesn't really know many of the neighbors. :( Love the story about middle son!

Ladies have a great Sunday! Will check in later.
    <3
    Kylia (still waiting on the rain in OH)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    LIsa so excited that you are meeting rori. Hope the lodge is open cause that sounds beautiful

Welcome new ladies. I am approaching the 1year anniversary of being on MFP and here is what I know.
    This is a tool that helps if you use it. It offers:
    •accountability
    •information and motivation
    •and if you read/share this thread --unconditional support!!

I asked my neighbor's DD (15 years old) to come and help me with setting up one of my classrooms this week. She is a sweet kid but I think a little bit of a hermit!! I never see her get out and have fun much. She jumped at the offer to come and help me I think she is bored out of her mind!!

Looking forward to a break in the heatwave. Stay cool ladies. NYKAREN
  • kymarai
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Have a fabulous time RORI and LISA wherever you end up eating. Would sooooooo love to be joining you. <3

Heather UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Nothing much different going on since yesterday's post. Still raining off and on, still humid. I will be continuing with some house work and, if time allows, I will open the garage and get started on a Pinterest project. I am going to be sanding down a 6x4 foot section of cedar fencing, that I picked up on some one's curb, and will be turning it into a "farm" table for the kitchen. The plan is to stain it perhaps a red or golden color and I want to do the photo transfer of a world map on the top. I figure if I work on it a little at a time, I should have it done in a month or two. Depends how busy my weekends are in the fall.
    Had a couple of bonus surprises yesterday: My dh's RA must not have been bothering him too much as he went into the back yard and picked up all of the sticks and brush that had come down with the rains and he also fixed our swing that the kiddos broke (twice, darn them!)! I was amazed. His RA has kept him from doing anything like that. It has all fallen to me or my dys if he is around. He will probably be sore and crabby today, but he got stuff done! The other surprise was hearing that his aunt left him something in her will! It wasn't a huge amount by any means, but it is enough to pay my business taxes for this year! THAT was a really nice surprise.
    Lisa and Rori- Woo-hoo! Another mfp50+ get together!!! This makes me so happy! Have a great time together. I will be with you in my thoughts.
    Beth- Sending hugs to you as you travel down this path with your son! I have to say, that my dh was the one with the tears and emptiness whenever we dropped our daughter anywhere. Camps, her first trips with out us, college, her study abroad year, her wedding, her move to TX. He would just break down. I would get a lump; but I had to picture her with a cape on and setting off on her own adventure, saving the world one step at a time! I'm a goof, but it got me through. My dys is my home body, though. I think I will react differently when he decides to fly. He is me, in male form. I think the hardest adjustment that I had to make as my daughter started to spread her wings was the absence of her. Not hearing the continual chatter, activity, etc. in the house....she was like lightening in a bottle. Exhausting, but it took a while to get used to the quiet in the house after she left. Stay busy and think of all of the adventures your son will be having! Saving the world, one song at a time!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa & Rori Have a blast!

Beth On my son's 19th birthday he announced he was moving out to live with his buddy Zach. I was crestfallen. He has always been independent. No looking back. When he was almost 5, getting on the school bus for the first time, I called out a little encouraging word to him, and he didn't turn around or cry or run back to me. He waved his hand over his shoulder but kept his eyes on that bus, which he couldn't wait to get on. Sigh!

KJ That sounds like a neat project. Pinterest is amazing, isn't it?

DJ My lurkers would never have amused you and the others if I hadn't learned how to use emoticons from you! c0402.gif

Have a good weekend, all!

Karen in Virginia determined to log and stay on plan today
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well it will be another scorcher here today 100 degrees with high humidity.. Tom will be taking a stair out of the stairs down in the bulkhead and seal the bottom again, still getting water in the basement and it is getting annoying.. we are drying it out with a fan now.. made him a nice breakfast and we are on our way down to feed DFIL , then to Lowes and Walmart again and then home. going to try and defrost the upright freezer today..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Beth, thinking of you today. I cried like a baby when our daughter drove out the driveway go college, and she was only going 20 miles down the road to UGA. I can't imagine!

Long day today with a district committee meeting at 3:00 (church stuff). At least I got my walk in already.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We were right all along! Our clothes size is just a random number. Though this piece talks about the American clothes market, it might be of interest to others to see the influence of men's sizing on women's clothes.

https://thequiltshow.com/daily-blog/142-newsletter/24894-why-women-s-clothing-sizes-don-t-matter-it-s-not-your-fault?utm_source=Infusionsoft&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016_08_14_Sunday_Smiles_6&inf_contact_key=92880800d6a558248aea180f25c80eb5e549b0ceff690e10fc89308804fe214a
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies -
    I've been away from here for a week and it will take me that long to read everything!!!
    Feel like I needed to get my head back on straight - was eating way too much crap ( and writing down how it made me feel - mostly sick both physically and emotionally ). So, feel like I can make better choices because I know the sweet stuff will leave me feeling yucky.
    I did manage to lose 1 pound from my lowest though it is really 4.5 pounds from last week. Not much, but I'll take it (the 1 pound, not the 4.5)
    Had some skin surgery this week and while there, twisted up my knee so had to hobble for 3 days. Much better now and went hiking in woods for 45 min yesterday.

this journey is a roller coaster, isn't it? almost feel like if you get off the train even for one day, it all goes bonkers. However, I keep moving. While at the drs office getting cancer spots removed, he told me that exercising for a continuous hour a day is the only way to really lose weight. Treadmill or elliptical for an hour. I got in 45 min yesterday, but it makes me wonder about all the recent research into HIIT and strength training. seems more logical to me. I know that cardio is the way to go, but without strength training, you can lose too much muscle which alters metabolism.

Do you feel that diet is more important than exercise?

Thanks,
    Carrie in coastal SC think I'll try some dance - perhaps line - classes for fun and more exercise!

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Carrie ~ Yes, it is a roller coaster! I can work all week to lose one pound and then gain it back by overeating one day! Then another week to lose it again. So, I never really lose. Ugh!

68 Yrs Young Today ~ Am having the grands over after church for cake and ice cream!

Carol in GA

• kymarai
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAROL!!!!! :) Enjoy the grands!

Carrie- it is such a roller coaster. I believe it needs to be a combination of movement and great choices for food. I don't use the "D" word. I need to make good choices that fit into my life. For me, movement of any kind helps. Haven't tried strength training....I lift mowers all day long. ;)

Kylia
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Carol!!!! I've got 1.5 years on you which is a reason to keep on this journey - be a healthy