WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Replies

• carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Didn't finish. Goal is to be a got and healthy 70 year old!!
    Kylia - lifting mowers is great strength training!!!!

Carrie in coastal SC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    happy birthday Carol!! :) Enjoy the celebration. NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lisa: Your day sounds great. Say Hi to Rori for me. :bigsmile:

NYKaren: You are an angel to think about asking your neighbor's daughter to help set up your classroom. She is probably looking forward to getting out of the house. Enjoy your upcoming MFP anniversary. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I'm glad you had a fresh battery on hand for your pedometer. Counting my exercise efforts has become a happy ritual for me, too. :smiley:

Charleen: Vanity sizing appeals to the tiny as well as the rest of us. This is done for marketing. Most of my clothes are currently women's size 8, but would have been size eleven Misses when I was 20 and weighed about what I weigh now. If I tried to shop in the Misses department, I'd likely have trouble finding things big enough. Do they still call it that? Macy's currently has Junior Apparel, Misses Clothing, Women's Clothing, and Plus size clothing. I shopped in the plus size department when I started here on MFP. Now I shop in the Women's Department if I'm there. A woman I know once went into a 5-7-9 Shop to buy a scarf and the clerk told her they didn't have anything that would fit her. Are they still in business? :huh:

Carrie in SC: Diet and exercise are both important and work together to create a healthy body. It is like asking which is more important, air or water. We need both.:smiley:

Yesterday my TV lost its satellite signal while I was watching the Olympics. I hope it is back in business today. :grumble:
    Today was bone density medicine day, and I've had my meds, water, and sat upright for thirty minutes. Now I'm drinking coffee and thinking about breakfast. I have a riding lesson at noon, and it is planned to be a trail ride with another student. I am really looking forward to it. I plan to take some Tylenol before the ride begins to help my body with the effort. I pay special attention to my "Have fun every day goal." Lots of days I focus on little fun things, like watching the birds and walking my dog in the neighborhood. This is a big fun day. Riding can leave me sore, but it is worth it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • carriels7
    Karla - love your Tibetan quote. Keeping that one.
  • carriels7
    Hate self correcting. Meant Katla.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    carriels7 wrote: »

Do you feel that diet is more important than exercise?

Thanks,
    Carrie in coastal SC think I'll try some dance - perhaps line - classes for fun and more exercise!

:) I lost the weight I wanted by adhering to a strict eating plan that was nutrition dense and stayed away from foods that were too many calories for too little nutrition. I gave up eating as recreation. That meant that I didn't eat at potlucks or parties and asked my friends to join me for a walk rather than a meal. Along with a careful eating plan, I sought every opportunity to be active. Sitting less and moving more. I love line dance and go to three classes a week. I changed my life schedule to going to bed earlier instead of wasting time in the evening sitting in front of the TV or computer so I could get up early and walk before I had to go to a class or an appointment. I bought some dumbbells so I can do strength training at home in between other activities. Good health requires both healthy eating and healthy movement....cardio and strength training.

:) Barbie in NW Washington

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    edited August 2016
    Bea is a beauty xoxoxo
    Well I got the dang freezer defrosted, then ran over to walmart and am home whipped the ol boy up a no bake cheesecake and got him his favorite ice cream for his birthday..
    well My cousin who is 5 weeks younger than me is getting married next June down in Cabo.. I would love to go down.. will have to see if they will get a discounted price because of wedding.. and maybe my DB and I could go.. that would be fun...
    going to cook dinner and clean my bedroom, the futon has collected clothes for the last month.. im ashamed...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    morning peeps-

happyyyy bddayyyyyyyy peach!!!!!!!!!!

annr - i have lived in apartments all my life up until i right when i met kirby. i NEVER had ANY issue with ANY neighbor, i guess i was really lucky, sorry bout the hassles.

kirby drove again to work. he called me to wake me up (usually does when he's working) and asked me if i wanted another donation opportunity. he said a pharmacist told him she's never asked me, if she does, then i'll donate. so he gave me his email addr and i sent him a link to donate. when i called the hospital back i spoke to the pharmacist and explained, i didn't think that his co-workers would want to donate twice, to me and him so i never asked his friends or sent links. i later said, well you guys are rich, so you should be able to afford it lololol!! he laughed... i told him to chi his email.

i took 2 tv's that kirby bought so they can install them onto the airstream. i got to see how shiny it is.. we will pick it up next saturday and bring it home (instead of storage) and then take it to the MS ride, less than 30 days from now, i'm getting so excited!

a couple of days ago kirby had an "accident" (uncontrollable bowl movement) and couldn't hold it (he was a couple of blocks from home). he takes a shower at work anyway. he called to tell me, my preparation packet came in handy (spare underwear, plastic bag, wipes, spare bike shorts). when he came home, we had already talked about getting him adult diapers for the upcoming ride and run in November. we ordered some from amazon and they came in. i feel so bad for him and he is so thankful that i don't make fun of him and post it on fb. this is the only place i share this with cuz i know you guys are so understanding and loving.

he left me the bug today, he took the beast so i could ride to the gym with the top down! fun! too hot again to take the kids anyway.

asking for name suggestions for our airstream, i dunno. i could call it betty (kirby's mom's name) but we already named his dingy (it's in indiana) that. any suggestions?

later peeps
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    exermom: I got the PT and Wellness Certifications as a way of becoming more educated and knowledgeable about health, fitness and nutrition. I did PT for some friends who basically just needed accountability and direction. I got the Group Fitness certification and taught a weight training and fitness kickbox class.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X10X35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Michele in NC – I think our DOS has something like that … he calls it a ‘vacuum’; but, I’ve never actually be there when he has used it. I don't think it has a bag on it; but, just sucks it up and basically backwashes it out of the pool. He does have a net that gets things off the surface. I know I have to brush the sides and bottom of pool so it won’t be slick. He keeps the water recirculating, so that helps a lot. Don’t know what his utility bill might be for doing so; and he puts Clorox and stabilizing tablets in it once a week. He’s learned exactly how much it takes to keep the pool water clear. And he puts water to fill it on late Sunday, after they have gotten out of pool. I’m going to go today, come Hell or high water.

I’ll ask him and let you know about how he ties up his ladders when he is working on a slope.

Kylia – All 3 of our biological DGDs live next door; DYS’s step-daughter/daughter/DGD#4 lives in Louisiana. She and our youngest one are about 9 months apart (she’s the oldest of the two; and, a little more mature). She ‘loves’ our son; was upset when she asked her Mama if her last name would change when they got married. But, now she has DYS and her Mama; and, then her Daddy, his wife, and a half-brother. Her step-mom says a lot of ‘stupid’ things to or in front of her and she says she ‘stays on restriction’ when she is there because half-brother keeps her ‘in trouble’, by tattling on her. She loves her Daddy; but, not so much her step-mom. She told her Mama that she ‘loved’ Will, much better than her daddy’s wife. When DYS first started dating her Mama, he drove up beside her in his truck at a red light; and, she (DGD#4) had not met him yet. He rolled down his window and ‘flirted’ with her Mama; calling out to her, she was smiling; but, trying to ignore him. Then the light changed, he drove off, and she asked her Mama ‘if she knew that guy’? “Mama, he is so cute!” I think it was the following weekend that they were introduced. He treats her as if she really is his child.

She lets me comb her hair; while the others have never allowed me to comb theirs. Heads to ‘tender’. We have another granddaughter (about the same age) that we haven't seen since she was about a year old. Mother's choice; she got caught doing something that basically cut my DH (her father) and uncle out of their inheritance. It's sad that DH hasn't been able to see her; but, it wasn't his choice. Sadder, still, IMHO, for the granddaughter because she'll never know him. But, "c'est la vie"

DH usually help DYS while we are out there; and, DDnL#2 will ‘cut my hair’. There isn’t much to do, the place is ‘out in the boonies’ … 11 miles of the main highway; and, probably 25 miles to the nearest town. But it is relaxing and it'll be good to see the 'kids'. There are 3 towns that sort of back up to one another. We were talking to them this morning and they say all the flooding and rain is about 30 miles to the south of them. It has been raining there ‘off-and-on’ but, they are not expecting it to flood. DDnL#2’s house is about 3 blocks away from the MS River; with 2 levees in between. It has to get above the 50-feet over ‘flood level’ and breach both levees for them to have to evacuate her house. It has only flooded once since she’s lived there; but, she still has to have ‘flood insurance’. Always has had to carry it.

I know it was harder on me than on my sons, when weaning time came because I had so much milk and a lot longer to ‘dry’ up. DYS would wait me out; and, would not take a bottle if I was in the house, ergo he went to my sister’s for a week.

This last weigh-in session I had gained 1lb; but, my fat % had gone down; muscle % had gone up as well as water %. With a vacation during that time and not ‘worrying’ about my CIs … I thought I did well. Not so sure if that’ll be the case when we go to Louisiana. They called today and said they had gone to a restaurant that is only open 10 – 2 during the week; and, 10 – 6 on weekends. Good old soul food and makes the best ‘fried chicken’. Mmmm, a good piece or two of ‘fried’ chicken sounds so good. Says it is one of those places that you need to NOT eat breakfast before going; and, will still be ‘full’ until you go to bed. I can certainly ‘do that’.

When we go out to eat, at most restaurants; I will immediately cut whatever I have ordered in ½ and take the remaining half home for my meal the next day. I've also learned not to eat too fast, for many reasons. Too much and I get heartburn/indigestion. I’ve recently started adding more ‘regular’ meals to my days; and, I am still able to stay at or below my daily caloric intake. Some days are more difficult; and, the days I am not able to exercise, I have to watch what I eat. I don’t eat back my ‘exercise’ calories though.
    DH never smoked inside this home, since we built it. I don’t allow anybody to smoke; don’t even have ashtrays.

DH stopped smoking when we moved out here; but, took up the bad habit of ‘chewing tobacco’. Told him ‘if’ I ever found a plug of it on my counter again, I’d be shoving the bag where the sun doesn’t shine. He’s only done that once; I just ‘hate’ the spitting. Always has an empty coke bottle; I guess that is one reason I can't even imagine drinking a coke out of the bottle. Don't drink it out of can or over ice, just don't drink it since I have been on MFP. But, at least I am not having to breathe in ‘second-hand’ smoke. Both sons smoke ‘off and on’. I don't think DYS smokes around his family; DOS goes outside.

DDnL#1 said that DOGD was in such a mood this last time she came home for a week to pick up some more of their things to move into their ‘home’. She seems to wear her ‘feelings on her sleeve’ a lot; but, she did not do anything to upset us when we took them all on vacation. She did all the driving and she doesn’t allow any backseat drivers. LOL! None of us ever got into our swim suits or did we go to the pool area. Stayed on the beach walking and looking for shark's teeth. They're hard to find; when we first married, we could pick up hundreds of them just strolling down the beach. Different kind of shark teeth than the ones we find now. Pointed and longer. We have a spaghetti canister full of them over 44 years of marriage.

Becca – Yeah, when you live in an apartment … you sort of have to ‘take the good and bad’ together. Nothing is 100% perfect; not even when you live in a stand-alone house; but, it was really strange when we moved out here in the country … so much quieter than when we lived in town. Took me a while to adjust to living out here. Harder to make friends since I don’t work and haven’t been able to drive a lot of the time since 1/12. BF that I had made here moved back to the east side of Albany and we’ve pretty much ‘lost touch’ with one another. Miss her; but, I just won’t be always the one to ‘instigate’ the phone call; when I get a ‘can I call you back’ and she doesn’t. It's a nearly 60 mile trip one way to get to her house.

Yeah, I know where you are going with that ‘embarrassment’ thing. That would not work well for us either! LOL! Of course, when we need to rid our home of certain people, all we have to do is 'remark' about anything that is the least bit 'sexual'. WTMI ... they are gone in less than 5 minutes. With my DBnL and his former wife; it seemed they had something going on all the time when they were living ‘on base’, same with friends who were ‘military’. Even though DH grew up in a military home … they had ‘lived on base’ until they moved back to Jacksonville, FL.

I think I would have really ‘felt like I had lost my son(s)’ if I got a box of their ‘street clothes’ sent back to me; but, I guess in any ‘boot camp’ … they have to ‘follow the rules’. I know when my youngest niece went to Gallaudet; they had to ‘sign’ for the entire 4 years they lived there. I think the funniest story about that is … when she was younger and watching TV with her family; and, the punch line would be somebody ‘off stage’ … when her Daddy would start laughing she had not caught the punch line (she read lips); and, he’d tell her ‘I’ll tell you later.” And wouldn’t. The first time she came home, she brought 2 other girls with her; they were signing to one another and laughing. He’d ask, ‘what did they say’? She told him, “I’ll tell you later!” Sister has learned some sign language; but, her husband has never and he won’t. Even ‘if’ his SnL is also deaf. He’ll just talk louder! He already talks loud; because he is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids in both ears. I think it would be a hard language to learn; but, niece seem to have picked it up quickly.

The funniest thing I have ever seen was “Jeanne Robertson” a comedian from NC give her spiel about her DH wanting her to learn ‘sign language’, so there would not be a 'lag time' for the people in the audience who were deaf (and she was going to be speaking somewhere that the audience would have had a lot of deaf people in it. We went to see her the night before we went on our trip (sisters’ trip) and took sister and BnL. Sister was laughing so hard she practically fell out of her seat. I think I have most of her DVDs. When I need a good belly laugh; I will put one in … she is famous for her spiel about sending her husband to pick up the ingredients for a pound cake. What I like best, is she doesn’t use any bad language like so many ‘other’ comedians and it is all about things that have occurred to her. That’s the type of BF or neighbor I would love to have.

Charleen – My DH used to make sales calls on a manufacturing plant for women’s clothing. He said the owner walked him through the plant and at the end of the line; they were women who randomly putting different labels into clothes that might range from 8 up to 16; but, coming off the same assembly line; but, the store brand was different. And all from 'different' store brands. I think this was sort of a 'knock-off' type of manufacturing company. This sizing inequality also works the same for bras (same size/different color) doesn’t always fit the same. I bought my DDnL#1 3 bras (all the same size) but different colors. I told her that she needed to try on all of them; but, she thought that was ‘stupid’ because they were all the same bra. Later on, she admitted that she should have done so; the nude one fit her perfectly; the white one was too big; the black one two small. She’s a big breasted young woman and she did not have a decent bra to her name. She actually wore one 'out of the store'. That's how bad her 'bra' she had on was, when we walked in. Took her to Dillard’s who at the time had a woman there who had been sent to school in order to learn how to properly size a woman to a bra. I really miss her a lot. I am very particular about my bras; and, with a latex sensitivity … finding one that doesn’t ‘drive me wild’ is difficult to do. When DOGD was going to buy a prom dress ... we went there, got her fitted into a strapless bra to have on when she tried on the dresses. I’d much prefer to NOT wear one; but, I’m at the age that I really need to – gravity has worked against me. When my oldest sister had breast cancer and had a mastectomy, the last time; she had one to repair a ‘bad reconstruction' where the implant they had had to put in was leaking; they discovered cancer in the other breast; so this time around, she had a bilateral mastectomy; but, when they did the reconstruction … she did not want them to reconstruct the nipples, so she could wear a t-shirt without a bra. IF, God Forbid, I had to do the same, I would not have my nipples reconstructed either.

Carol in GA – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Katla – I can’t believe that ‘any’ shop would ever tell a woman that nothing in their shop would ‘fit her’. How did they know that she wasn’t in there to buy a gift for someone? At the moment, I am a pretty ‘consistent’ size 12. But, I have also learned that an 'one-size fits all' is an oxy-moron. Maybe one size fits most; but, just because they make it in your size doesn’t mean you should wear it. Especially not out in public. Just sit around a mall's food court or in a place like Wal-Mart (where you will see a lot of Wal-Martians) and you will think about needing a 3-way mirror.

Sitting and watching one of my favorite shows: “Flea Market Flip”. Some things I really like (but, would not pay that much for, at a ‘flea market’). But, get some ‘good ideas’. My DDnL#2 found a solid wood bed that someone had thrown out on the trash heap; she picked it up, stuffed it in her trunk, and took it home. She’s made one of those benches that holds things in the seat. She cut the end piece in half for the arms; used the side rails to make the box; DYS helped her just a little bit; by making the top and putting a piano hinge on it. Last summer, I helped her by holding the sides at a 90° angle; after she decided what they would use it for … storage or as a bench … she painted it white then sanding off some of it. It turned out beautiful. Right now, it is sitting out on the covered deck at the lake house so they have a place to store their ‘hunting gear’ and boots. She is always finding things that others discard to make something else. Even though a lot is being stored out in the shed at the lake place … she is getting ahead, to make things for a house when they find or build one. I hope that maybe while we are out there we can go 'flea/junk market' hopping. The only 'flea market' we have is on the other side of Albany. They have some little stores in one of the 'small' towns; but, they are extremely 'proud' of their 'stuff'. Many of them have finally 'actually' cleaned the places up so that you can 'find' things ... or at least can 'touch' them without feeling totally nasty.

Lenora
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Carol - A very Happy Birthday!!

t3361.gif

Charleen in Colorado (Already tired from morning ladder work)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Thank you all for the birthday wishes!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    Carol~ aka Peach~ Have Peachy Birthday xoxoxo
    Lenora~ isn't Jeanne Robertson the best, lord I just go hysterical listening to her... I think she has her own sirus/xm channel... yes sending Left Brain to the store for the 7 up cake ingredients... any of you ever need a laugh just look her up on You Tube... she will have you cracking up in no time..
    Got my room cleaned, and all I have to do is grill the meat on the grill and Toms dinner all set.. he is off to Lowes..
    I sorta gave him what for in the car last night, I said to him now look ... your 64 yrs old, and all you do is work, you have to let loose a little, relax some and do some fun things, because what do you want people to remember you by? or end up like your dad with dementia and all you want to do is work.. I told him relax more, enjoy more things and dont sweat the small stuff.. you can't take it with you... although we are cheap lol there is a concert he wants to see in Hartford this THursday which is a worknight for both, but the tickets are 89-129 a piece and we are just to darn cheap to spend that much.. but gonna see if Maybe I can talk him into taking a trip to block island on the boat..
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Carrie ~ Yes, it is a roller coaster! I can work all week to lose one pound and then gain it back by overeating one day! Then another week to lose it again. So, I never really lose. Ugh!

68 Yrs Young Today ~ Am having the grands over after church for cake and ice cream!

Carol in GA

Happy Birthday, Carol. I hope you have a terrific day. <3

Janetr OKC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    My phone won't let me post a pic, but will from home. The lunch with Rori was a blast, such fun! More later, promise....

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Afternoon ladies. Went to bed with a headache and it just got worse and worse. So no sleep for me last night. Which meant that I missed church this morning and the choir was singing one of my favorite anthems called Statement of Faith. It's a beautiful song in and of itself but in the middle of it one of the men does this recitation of what our statement of faith means. I have always said it is that kind of song that a sermon is not needed after wards. I am supposed to be in a trio next Sunday but I talked to the choir director today and it will be a duo instead of trio. I really need to get off the couch and take a shower and then go to the grocery store but it is really raining and I have no desire to go. I think a lot of this is nerves.

Joyce, hurting in Indiana