WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    DJ et al - I finished up the ladder work today! I still have a small part of the deck left to stain but I will be sitting on the deck steps when I stain it.

My DD currently lives with me while she goes through the last year of her Masters program. Unfortunately she is of little to no help. She does not do yard work or home improvement/repair. I keep telling her she is missing out on a wealth of knowledge she will want in the future when she has her own place but it falls on deaf ears. I did get her to help me carry the ladder around the house and back again when I finished using it today.

If I can push myself, I will get the last of the deck staining done tomorrow. Then I can forget about it for another 5 years. m0163.gif

Charleen in Colorado (Queen of the 5 minute job bucket list)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Love the pics DJ. Makes me want to go back
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pip, So glad you planned for Kirby to have an emergency kit. So hard on him to lose control, but I bet having that kit made all the difference to him. And so cool that somebody at the gym said you inspired him!

Carol, Happy Birthday! I hope it was lovely!

Karen in Va, Loved your trailer names! Looked at them blankly for a sec, but then got it.

Heather, Your DGD is beautiful!

Allie, enjoy Mary Chapin Carpenter! DH and I have always liked her and we've seen her a couple of times.

Katla, Having a car destroyed by a train would be pretty darn scary!!!

Rori and Lisa, Loved the picture! It's wonderful that people actually meet each other from this site.

Mary and Pip, posting your exercise keeps me going!

Today:
    BEASTLY HOT AND HUMID.. .
    Did 45 minutes of strength training and pt:
    Bridges with band: 2x10, 5 sec hold
    Clam with band: 2 x 15
    Squats with band: 4 x 15
    Side planks: 2x20 sec. hold each side
    Push ups (modified and not): 2x8 (I detest push ups)
    Kettlebell swing: 10x10x15 (had to go down because I hurt myself last week)
    Kettlebell halos: 3x9 each direction x 15
    Swimming: 1000 meters
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday evening to all!

With the hubs home for 3 full days we were able to get most everything situated. I can now fine tune things while he starts work full time tomorrow. I have found that with the development of arthritis since our last move that I must pace myself or I will be out totally from being able to do anything. The hubs doesn't quite understand this which makes me want to push harder physically but I just end up defeating what my body can do. This rental home is so much smaller than we are used to but it truly paid off all the purging of extras before we left Ohio. Need to do more. Not unpacking everything in this home so the extra bedroom is full of storage for now. The only thing we can't find at the moment is 2 lampshades that we need. Not bad eh?!

Tomorrow Planet Fitness is having a $1 Down and $10 a month special so we will be signing up there for gym use. Looking forward to getting into my new routine here. During the time of year when the temps are tolerable here in TX I'll be able to make use of the trail down the street from here. I've hinted to the hubs that maybe a home with a small pool should be in our future. I loved doing water aerobics when we had our pool in Florida. Will have to see.

Have enjoyed watching the Olympics in Rio during my rest brakes. We cut the cord on tv years ago so only over the air stations. Having trouble getting all three major networks so hubs will work on an outdoor antennae over the weekend to see if we can pull in more stations. In the meantime have Hulu to pull in shows we are missing.

Wishing everyone a wonderful, productive week ahead. Think of all of you during my day!

Cheri
    in much cooler Central TX since the rains arrived....

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    r
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday,

I am down 2lbs happy for any loss ! I know this is water weight but I am encouraged by it!
    Been an emotional roller coaster day! My cousin lives in Louisiana in an area were the flooding is happening! Last night she was sandbagging, evec bags prepared, attic was ready to move up into! My cousin runs a doggie daycare! It was her and 7 dogs! Her husband couldn't get to the house to help her, the doggies families couldn't make it there. Early this morning a boat arrive put her and dogs in a boat with no motor ! Got about a mile to a house that is on higher ground! But that house had 2 humans, 2 dogs! By the time my cousin left water was at her door bell! At neighbors started going up they got rescued about an hour or so Blackhawk got all lives out now in Baton Rouge! My cousin is getting some sleep now but they are still prepared to move again! I have spent the entire day on phone with family! Praying for all in Louisiana! Keep safe!

@Becca -- we have lived in our share of apartments before somethings I liked about it but mostly it was a problem noise ! I am very sensitive to noise

Liz

Idaho

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr Super Mom Walk and Stott Pilates Walk on to Total Fitness DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a bit of yoga, do some bicycles, then take the extremepump class.

mommamia - welcome. I exercise just about every day, too. In some ways I feel like I'm addicted to it. Do you? I do try to give myself at least 24 preferably 48 hours between weight sessions to give my muscles time to recover. On the other days I usually do some sort of cardio and then on Sundays I do "active recovery" so some yoga or pilates or like today a walking DVD

DJ - hope your service gets working pronto. We don't want to lose you!

Lisa - while you and Rori are gabbing, remember that at the same time you are exercising too. You are exercising your jaw muscles (they're important, too...lol) Plus, you're burning calories. OK, not a whole lot, maybe not even 1. But it's nice to think that way.

KJ - sounds like an interesting project

Carrie in SC - it's been said that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I tried it, and that's true

Carol in GA - Happy Birthday!

pip - my heart goes out to Kirby. How wonderful of you not to mention it any place but here, I know that makes him feel good. We named the robotic cleaner for the pool "Rover" like the land Rover.

Lenora - who cares if you gained a pound, you other stats are wonderful! A guy on our Newcomer bowling league chewed tobacco. I always found it gross that he would spit.

Alison - so glad Tom is going to that concert. Enjoy!

Lisa - what a wonderful pic of you and Rori! How I wish I'd been there!

Exercised then we went to Lowe's Hardware. Vince got things to stain the front door which REALLY needs it badly. Then to sherwin William to get the stain. They were so helpful that we felt we should buy it there. Home and started to powerwash the upper patio. As I was, I turned around and smoke was coming out of the powerwasher. Called Vince and it seems that the motor is burned out. He looked up when we bought it. 14 months ago, and it has a 12 month warranty. Just our luck. So he ordered a new one but it probably won't be here in time for me to powerwash for the pool party. But that's OK. After dinner did my part to keep the pool clean....lol

pip - I'm impressed with your balancing. I have a bosu but it has the stability bar and I find that I use it quite a bit, even if its just lightly. To me, the hardest part of being an aerobics instructor must be calling out the moves in advance so people can be on time for them plus counting. I only taught strength classes and sometimes I'd find it difficult to think ahead while counting.

Jane from IL - (((HUGS))))

katla - I used to love going on trail rides

DJ - it was gorgeous here today, too. Only problem was when I went in the pool to help keep it clean (at least that's my newest excuse to go in the pool after dinner), the water wasn't really refreshing, very warm.

Cheri - the Planet Fitness around here is always $10 a month

Liz - congrats on the weight loss. So sorry to hear about your cousin.

Michele in NC
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot

@Kaylia -- a certified family home is a place my home the is certified as a safe home like place to help those who may need some help! By getting my daughter the waiver needed and us doing this offers ways for her to get more help! Our goal is to help Morgan become more self reliant. Becoming certified helps her and will help us too! Lots of work to get it! If we wanted we could provide care to another person too who needs assistance! But we feel with our daughter is all we can handle!

Liz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Cheri - the Planet Fitness around here is always $10 a month
    Michele in NC

I think the special part is the $1 down versus I think $39. Not sure but will find out tomorrow when we sign up.

Cheri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Ladies, it sounds like it was a great day/weekend for everyone. It is late, so no notes. Prayers to those that need them, encouragement to everyone. Managed to get some things done at home, have fun with all 4 grands, visit some with daughters and their husbands, cooked breakfast and dinner :D Grocery shopping done and it wasn't raining! Rained most of morning and afternoon. Have plans tomorrow night with youngest daughter, so must get exercise/steps in in the morning. Will try to check in.
    Good night lovely ladies!
    Kylia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Michele, looking forward to working 'hard' at trying NOT to go over my CI this next 2 weeks before going to Louisiana ... I know I will eat more than I should while there. DYS said they were about 30 miles north of the bad rain. They were getting rain; but, nothing like southern part of Louisiana. Hope it will be 'nice' when we get there. They both will be working. DH will help DYS since we'll be out there. DDnL#2 will cut my hair. YEAH! Looking for a new cut; so I will let her choose what to do.

Just turned on the Olympics ... so glad that I got to see a little gymnastics; but, wasn't on long enough; but the young black girl won 'gold', I think, on the thing they have to jump over. Waiting to see if any more comes on. I sure hope it will.

WOW! Another Ben-Hur ... haven't seen Ben-Hur since I was a 'child' ... this looks like it will be good. So many times the remake is a bit disappointing.

I had my heart set on going to Olive Garden this afternoon; but, DH in too much pain. He went out to work a bit, came in and rested, then out again. Now that he has taken his 'pain' pill ... he is fast asleep. He's going to call his Urologist tomorrow morning. Got blood in his urine and he thinks he needs to 'see' him. He would really like to have the catheter removed; but, I think that is 'wishful thinking'. Thankfully, gone 2 days without having to strip bed; or bottom sheet. He finally put tape on it to keep it from coming out at the end.

DDnL#1 starts her 'new' job on the 1st; but, will continue looking and applying for other jobs with better pay and benefits. She commented that she wasn't even going to be making 'minimum wage'. I told her that I doubted that a 'state' job would ever pay less than minimum wage. Come to find out she'll only be working 30 hours a week. Won't buy any insurance because she'd have to make the payments. So it is more like close to $12 an hour gross.

Gee, I am so glad that I am not having to worry about a job anymore. Finally, got my finances tweaked; and, trying to see if I can either lower my payments on car; or shorten the time I have to finish paying for it (or if the stars line up ... both).

Pip - Bullet, Vampire Killer

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Exwemom the Bosu took me a bit to master. I can do single leg squats on it now. Aerobics teaching, step and floor instruction was easy as far as counting and pointing at the direction I want them to go to.

Kirby threw out the name for the airstream was Twinkie cuz it looks like one...I also like bullet ...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    DJ love the pictures!
    Carol Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
    Rori and Lisa great picture!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Carol- Happy Birthday!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    S
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Missing Miriam. Where are you, hope everything is okay with you and family.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

So doing catch up 225 posts…. Hoping for some smiles and pictures as they are easier reading –LOL

Joyce – sending good thoughts….

Lunch Ladies discussion is interesting, so there were no “Lunch Ladies” until high school for me, in elementary school the PTA once a month came in with hotdogs, chips and milk on a Friday and we could sign up ahead and buy it, I could not have it every month it was too pricey as I recall, 2 hotdogs, 1 package of chips and milk was a $1, so my mom packed me a hot dog in a thermos a bun, chips, cookie and milk in another thermos on the Fridays I could not buy. Nothing in middle/jr high school… In high school there was a cafeteria, but I brought my lunch - I had to pay for my own cafeteria food, and I was too cheap.

Becca – I love your stories, and the way you tell a tale…. Take care this month… thinking of you!

Katla – you caught the scale quick and you can do this!

MrsGLT – what if your DGD cooked for the family one day a week, and was able with your help to make a healthy dinner, so she could be learning about healthy choices and showing/helping her mom out?

Anne – you look great!

Peach – Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa and Rori - Great pic, so glad you had fun, I’m a bit jealous!

Pip – I like twinke….

So a crazy time here Mom here for 3 days, and while I love her, it is hard to have her as company…. I never had kids but I think it must be like that in that she doesn’t self entertain, she follows me everywhere and thinks I should have stuff to talk about…. Lots of embroidery to do, as next week I am gone on vacation camping for 4 days….. I am looking forward to that.

Levi is “off” maybe an ear ache or god forbid a fox tail…. Tomorrow I have cleared my day and will get to the vet as soon as they can take me. He is not in a ton of pain, just off… but he is rubbing his ear/side of his face a bit more than his “normal”

I saw my chiropractor on Friday still working on my arm issues and he said that he could tell how much the kettle/dumbbell swing was helping, told me to keep it up and gave me some stretches to add in…so of course with my mom here I did not do them, she thinks my exercise is silly (others its fine for) so I do what I can away from her to not hear the comments….picking my battles… and this one is not it, I walk the dog while she is here as that is ok it is taking care of the dog..not exercise…..

Kettle/dumbbell PT swing

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, found a great Chinese restaurant
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ and others with pressure cookers: We've always had a pressure cooker. When I was in grade school my dad was cooking meat, decided to check on it and opened the top while it was still under pressure. The contents exploded out of it and we had meat, slippery grease and goo all over our ceiling, floor and walls. Fast forward about 16 years or so. DH was cooking with a pressure cooker in our kitchen. He took off the pressure cap and the steam shot pudding onto the ceiling that cleaned a circle on the ceiling above the stove. We had a light spot there until we repainted the room during a remodel. We still have a pressure cooker and use it occasionally but we haven't had any more "accidents." Knock on wood. PS: I love the beach pictures. :heart:

Charleen: A 5 minute job list is a great idea. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I like to think up names & Twinkie is a good one. Maybe one of these days you'll share the list of suggestions you get from everyone you know, including the good, bad & ugly ideas.

I talked to my teacher about leasing a horse while riding today. Leasing seems like a manageable possibility because I could easily return it if I find that I'm in over my head. DH's health situation is always a worry. My teacher thinks I should buy a seasoned ranch horse that still has get up and go, but is ready for an easier job. DH is all for it, or at least he says so. Horse ownership seems like a lot to take on. Advice welcome. I'll bet I've already asked about this issue in the past. It keeps coming up. I'm tempted, but worry about the cost and commitment.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    Options
    T