WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Katla- my daughter owns 3 horses and has to pay board, vet bills, farrier, tack, worming...she says it's very expensive and time consuming. She also leased one of her horses out to help pay for her expenses. She said that the person leasing only really covered board and she still had all of the other expenses. Leasing gives you temporary ownership at a much lesser cost and commitment. The owner usually takes care of all the other issues you just have fun and ride!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    It is 1:59 AM and I'm still up! Boo! :/
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    <3

Me too!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol Happy Birthday! Hope you get some sleep soon. t2226.gif

Pip Awwww! Twinkie is an adorable name for the Airstream. :)

Lisa & Rori That is a wonderful photo of the two of you...looks like you had such a good time. c0412.gif

Karen going back to sleep in Virginia
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - I'm finally feeling emotionally in a place that I can check-in. I don't remember if I told you that my mother passed away on July 2nd and the next day I broke out with shingles, or not. I drove to CA for the funeral and was gone from 7/13-7/26. While I've made that trip many times myself in the past this time I was just exhausted the whole trip and couldn't drive more than a couple of hours without starting to nod off. I'm sure it was a combination of grief and still healing from shingles. Ever since I got shingles I just have not been eating the same - nothing sounds or tastes good so the result is I have lost 14 over these past 4 wks. I still have some lingering numbness around my side and back where the blisters were but other than that I'm on of the lucky ones who will probably not have pain for years.

I have missed you all and thought of you many times. I have no idea what has gone on with you over the past month or so but if there are any important updates about people on here would someone please PM me as I am not going to go back and read through the posts.

Hoping to be on more often. Love you all - Gloria in WA <3<3<3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Gloria- I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom (((hugs))) I'm glad that you are back and healing from shingles. I hope to see you here often!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Glo Glad you are back, you have been through such a rough time. Sending you a mental hug and a cup of peppermint tea. I am so glad you didn't fall asleep behind the wheel. Now get some well-deserved rest!

Waving to all you lovelies across the pond! Good morning!

Karen in Virginia really really going back to sleep now t2205.gif
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Gloria, so sorry about losing your mom, praying for peace, comfort and healing.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Gloria (((((HUGS))))) <3

Done 15x10x18 swings this morning in addition to my machines. :D My weight is gradually creeping down, but it's taking its own sweet time. 2 lbs to go to get back to goal weight. I've had a pesky pound for a long time, but don't want to get used to two pesky ones. :noway:

Calves liver tonight (which is a delicacy over here) and spring cabbage. Lunch is avgolemono, made from the pressure cooked stock from the guinea fowl, rice, egg yolk and lemon juice. I am going to add peas and some left over meat from the bird.

This afternoon I am planning to dye my roots. I haven't done it since before the cruise. Then I will have to make a hair trim appointment.
    Looking forward to yoga tomorrow morning. Our lovely teacher has scheduled in an extra one for us during the holidays. :D I'm going to do some kettlebell swings as well to bump up the calorie burn.

Lots of love Heather UK
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
    Lovely day here in the UK washing flying in the sun, is anyone else like me in that I love having washing out. Not particularly fond of housework but love washing and ironing weird I know!

Had a bad day yesterday eating went a bit haywire after drinking wine which I do usually on Sunday but at least I had done some exercise in the morning well today is a new day onward and upward ( that should be downward really)

Sending hugs to all of you who are feeling sad or ill or just fed up (do you use that expression in USA?) especially Gloria losing your Mum is so hard I lost mine over 30 years ago she was only 62
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well Homer needed to go outside at 11;45 last night and was awake until Tom got up at 2, then went back to sleep until 5:45... luckily I got Tomds dinner and lunch set already.. having my cup of tea and getting dressed and then watering the plants up at my brother's place and then feeding DFIL if I have time and going to work at 9
    .. will check in tonight
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    cheri sounds like you are over the worst of the move, leaving boxes in the spare room is exactly what I would do cause you really don't know if you're going to be there longer than a year. When we moved into this house from a condo, I put a lot of things I didn't think we would want (DH is a pack rat collector) into boxes and they still haven't been opened 3 years later but if he wants to know where his stuff is, I can say "go look in those boxes!"

Totally agree that a new job, new move, new anything is a great way to start a new habit- I love a clean slate.

Glo so sorry for your loss and the struggles you've been through with the shingles. Take time to heal and keep checking in with us. <3

NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Just had a weird little glitch with my computer. When I clicked on the community tab to check out yesterday's posts, my bookmarks didn't show up. So I had to come in through the "backdoor" like some one who was just finding our page. ANYWAY, I could read and catch up, but it wouldn't let me comment and said I had to sign up or log in. Weird. But I just went back to my home page and reclicked on community and here we are, back to normal.
    Ketone Karen- I LOVE Pinterest! When I first discovered it, I would spend hours looking at everything. I had to take myself off the site for a while (a year more or less) and now I just go on when I am looking for something specific.
    Carol- Happy, happy birthday friend! I hope your day was wonderful and filled with people you love!
    Gloria- So sorry to hear about your mom! Love and hugs to you <3 Sorry also about the shingles. Feel better!
    Rori- Your adventures in W TX sound/look like a great time! I love the whole chuck wagon dinner idea. I love touristy things like that. You have to experience it at least once, even if you are a local!
    Lisa and Rori- You ladies look MAHVELOUS! So happy you could spend some time together!
    Heather- Bea is adorable! She will be getting around soon enough. She is probably desperate to keep up with her older brother and sister! I have read that babies try and fail to walk 400+ times before they achieve success! Isn't that astounding? I wonder when we lose that spirit and commitment to succeed.
    Pip- My first thought on the airstream name was the Silver Bullet. Sorry to hear about Kirby's latest trials :/ Sending thoughts and hugs to you both.

Well ladies, I have to log off and eat something. I worked so hard yesterday, doing yard work and did some major cleaning in house (walls and cupboards) and I didn't eat enough protein so I am feeling kind of icky this morning. Love and hugs to all! Kelly (KJ)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Gloria ~ Hugs for all you have gone through. I think I remember that your mom had been ill for quite a while. Best wishes that the shingles does not reappear. Going through that and dealing with mom's passing must be terrible.

Pip ~ Sorry to hear about Kirby's problem. I almost had that happen to me a while back and was petrified. Thank goodness you had him prepared.

Lisa ~ Your pic with you and Rorie is great . What a wonderful experience for you and her.

Carol
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – In HS I had a friend whose father had and boarded several horses. We were encouraged to come out and ride and groom the horses. Riding, of course, was my ‘favorite’ part of going there. My BF and I would go every Saturday afternoon and we loved it. But, neither of us ‘owned’ a horse. BF always rode a black horse, who was quite ‘spirited’. Another friend wanted to ride it; so she got off and let her 'try' to get on it. He was a very tall horse. This is the same girl that would ‘pitch a fit’ to ride the donkey they kept for the Live Nativity Scene at the Methodist Church. The donkey had a path and on this path was a tree that he’d stay under because of the shade and location. Lead her around a couple of times; then let her have it; donkey went under tree and stopped, she was laid back on her back and could not get him to move. Both BF and I got whippings for leaving her with the donkey. When she tried to get up on Midnight (the black horse) she could not even get her leg up to the stirrup, even with help and someone holding the horse, without him moving. She finally gave up. BF was about the only one who rode him and could handle his ‘spirited’ personality.

Gloria in WA – Sorry to hear about your mother passing. Sorry that you are having to go through with the ‘shingles’ at the same time of grieving and not feeling well enough to drive very far. Hope that when they clear up you will consider the “Shingles” vaccine, so that any future outbreaks won’t be as bad. Both my sons had horrible cases and each took the Shingles vaccine afterwards.

Heather – I don’t care for liver in any form; really don’t like how it smells when cooking; DH loves it, especially chicken livers and gizzards. I might eat a gizzard or two; but, not the livers. Don’t like the texture or either. It is sort of like sushi … one or two pieces will usually do me.

Hello to all the 'newbies' - Come often and post; tell us a little about yourselves. Name, location (general or specific), family, hobbies, and/or goals.

Lenora
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Gloria (((((HUGS))))) <3

Done 15x10x18 swings this morning in addition to my machines. :D My weight is gradually creeping down, but it's taking its own sweet time. 2 lbs to go to get back to goal weight. I've had a pesky pound for a long time, but don't want to get used to two pesky ones. :noway:

Calves liver tonight (which is a delicacy over here) and spring cabbage. Lunch is avgolemono, made from the pressure cooked stock from the guinea fowl, rice, egg yolk and lemon juice. I am going to add peas and some left over meat from the bird.

This afternoon I am planning to dye my roots. I haven't done it since before the cruise. Then I will have to make a hair trim appointment.
    Looking forward to yoga tomorrow morning. Our lovely teacher has scheduled in an extra one for us during the holidays. :D I'm going to do some kettlebell swings as well to bump up the calorie burn.

Lots of love Heather UK

Heather I had to look up avgolemono, chicken & rice soup with eggs & lemon juice whisked in. Sounds yum!

What color will you dye your roots? There are so many lovely choices...turquoise, fuchsia, chartreuse, sapphire, lavender...wouldn't you create a sensation? LOL!

<3 to everyone. It's a new day!

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    (((Gloria))) hope you have recovered from the shingles.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Gloria in WA , so wonderful to have you back. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Shingles are not fun. Hopefully you and I are over with them for good. Sending (((hugs))) Are the boys back in school?

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Miriam, good to hear from you. Love the picture of the kids. Hopefully you have a bit quieter week. My hat is off to you, I don't think I could keep up with the kids at this point. You're a special lady and super mom. Hope you get some you time. <3

Janetr okc