WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Glo - My heart cries with you on the loss of your father. Take it easy on yourself, you are loved. t4416.gif

Charleen
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Karen E- I follow the basic 5 week program for 4 weeks. I usually skip week 5 because it is a deload week. The program goes from less sets and reps and builds up for 4 weeks. Every other day with the heavier weight of + 5 lbs then on my Stronglifts days I use the old lighter weight after every set. After the 4th week I do what I'm doing now and use the heavier Kettlebell all week long even during SL days after every set. For up to 4 weeks to make sure I build my strength. Then I will repeat the process with the heavier Kettlebell which in two weeks will be 40 lbs. I will follow the basis 5 week...
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny - thank you so much for the picture story. I closed my eyes and could almost hear the rushing of the stream far below.

I love and enjoy your pictures and vivid descriptions. Thank you for taking the time to share your world with us. <3

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My sister has also donated her body to science. It will be transported to Indiana University as soon as the hospital releases it. Her desire was purely financial. There are no costs at all. After they are finally done with all of it, they ship anything left to my BIL. He is trying to find out if he can opt out on that part. My Mother was so upset about it when Norma told her. She doesn't want a bunch of strangers cutting on her, taking things out, maybe even having laughter while doing it. Plus she will not have headstone for family to visit. All of the kids names are on the back of my parents joint headstone so if they want to visit anything, it will be my parents and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

Headache hit me hard last night and it wouldn't let me to get to sleep until around 5 so no church. Bummer.

Penny, i loved your walk. Not only the pictures but the picture you painted for us in your narrative. I think I recognize some of those areas from the webcam.

My overnight bag is packed for tomorrow. It will be left in the car until they know I will need it. I also got the bag out that comes with my c-pap. I hardly ever use the bag. If I go to DD's house, we stay in a nearby hotel and I just put it all in a bag with all the tubing and electrical cord connected. I really, really need some more supplies for it. I took the tape off the spots that have holes in the tubing and retaped them all but it looks pretty tacky. I think it has been 3 years or so since I have been to see my pulmonologist. Medicare won't pay for any supplies when it has been that long. But my cat enjoyed me unrolling the tape off of it and putting more on. So I am glad I gave her some enjoyment. I think she has been watching track and field in the Olympics to much this week. It has been nonstop running down the hall, room to room, down the stairs and repeat as many times as she feels it is needed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Hello from a beautiful Nebraska. Temps are in the 70's. I am working 6-4:30 today and then we are going out to an horse ranch this evening for a special church service. Looking forward to that. Last evening church was nice and just what I needed to hear.

Got my busy work done this morning here at work. I put the new schedule out so wounder how long before I get complaints. I try to be fair and make sure each person gets the hours they are to get. Right now I have one person off having surgery so that moves things around. Like I told them I am not asking anyone to work anything I am not. In fact I am working my weekends plus at least one day each other weekend for the next 3 months. We all have to do our parts. Thanks for letting me vent.

Glo--I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, Sending hugs and prayers.

Joyce--I do the same thing when I lose things and I know it helps me.

Didn't get very far today to top of page 47. But tomorrow is another day and going to weigh in the morning. Not sure it will be good as have not weighed for two weeks. Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRANDISLAND, NE
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are, or have family who are, donating your bodies to medical schools, you should be aware that they can refuse the body when the time comes. They will not take a body if the person had any infection. Sometimes they just have too many bodies (not often). If that happens, the family will then have to arrange for burial or cremation and pay for it. My aunt and uncle had planned to donate their bodies to the medical school where he taught. He developed Alzheimers and while in the nursing home spilled an entire bowl of HOT soup on himself. He got a nasty infection and died from it. The medical school would not accept his body, so my aunt had to arrange for a cremation. After my aunt died, as her next of kin I got her cremains. I had my uncle's as well. When my mentally retarded cousin that I took care of died from a brain tumor he was cremated. I took all of their ashes and mingled them and planted a shrub over it. When I sit in the yard, I look at the shrub, which is quite large and lovely, and remember them.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Penny - Love your photo narrative. I was definitely there with you. <3
    My walking has got really bad recently, but I plough on with painkillers. I will be taking some tomorrow for our walk along the South Bank of the Thames. Just the 40 minutes today was very uncomfortable. Thank goodness for my machines and floor and weight exercises.
    I would love to do some really long hiking, but it's not to be. Thank you for taking me with you. The view from the top was amazing. :flowerforyou:

Up early tomorrow to get our exercises done before we get on the train. I will cut it a bit short because we will be doing a lot of walking.

Love Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    t113013.gif Purl, you set a great example of how to take a vacation and still stay focused on the healthy eating and exercise...vacations don't have to be about eating and lying around.

t113013.gifLIz, I've never played pickleball (I don't like competition) but I have many friends who play often and love it....using badminton as a calorie counter sounds like a good match....a fitbit or heart rate monitor is another way to find the calorie burn....I have a pedometer for counting steps and I love the feeling of "getting credit" for being active.

t113013.gifKatla, I've never had success with earplugs.....I'm still dancing Wednesday and Thursday mornings and teaching the class on Friday morning...Thursday afternoons was the two hour practice for the performance at at the Fair...we've done that since the end of April so it will be a relief to not be dancing twice on Thursdays.

t113013.gifNYKaren, I have found that less spicy meals are less likely to trigger my desire to over eat....I put sauces and seasonings as an "add on" on the table for my husband who likes more spices and tastes.

<3Joyce, I'm sending warm thoughts to you for your visit to the cath lab.

:) Today I'm taking it easy with less walking, doing laundry, and watching more Olympics....I have especially enjoyed watching rhythmic gymnastics.

t116002.gif Barbie from much cooler and cloudier NW Washington
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Glo--so sorry about your loss. ((((HUGS))))

Well--both picnics are over--Thank goodness!!! No one eats healthy as is reflected in the food choices in both places. glad i brought veggies!! I didn't do as well today with eating tho--they had strawberry jello pretzel dessert which is one of my favorites and I ate 2-aprox 4" squares. Too many calories and fat!--Now I still have supper to tend with.
    I guess one "binge" won't hurt?
    Back on track tomorrow.

Di in Western PA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 9.18min, 6.5sp for 1/2mi @ 1.0incl, 1/4mi @ 1.5incl, 1/4mi @ 2.0incl.9.19ap, 153mhr, 1mi = 111c
    other- bosu ball w/5# weights, double and single leg squats, various machines, 2sets 15 ea, 133mhr, 40min = 281c
    total cal 392
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mary, thanks so much. I looked at the program, and I'll give it a shot. It might be more structured than I like, but I definitely need more than I have now. And I definitely want to increase my weight steadily and safely. :)

Joyce, I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Penny, you're pictures are amazing. What a beautiful part of the world!!

KarenE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP- 1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR- 5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 23X 10 X 35
    Week three, transition to using the 35 pound kettle bell during SL workout as well as every rest day.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: What a gorgeous Sunday, temps in the 70s and a breeze. Couldn't sleep last night and forgot to set my alarm so I missed church today. Oh well needed the rest. DD and I built a fire to burn some yard waste, moved the horses to the front pasture and got a front tire removed from the lawn tractor that kept going flat. We took it to be repaired and I can pick it up tomorrow. We got some new cellular blinds for two windows in the living room. The color is good but we ordered side mount brackets and they sent them but no instructions for installing them only the standard mounts. After nearly an hour looking on the internet we finally found instructions for the side mounts but then did not have time to get them done. The company has sent me an e-mail to review the purchase. I think they will get a not so good review.

Penny - Loved your picture tour.

Miriam - I understand your joy at kids going back to school. I used to love it because my husband who was a teacher had to go back. LOL Sending him back was better than sending the kids back.

DJ - Good for you getting the grill put together. Amazing what we smart strong women can do.

SugarDarlin - I'm with you, I need my alone time.

Joyce - Will be thinking about you.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr balance games on the Wii. The plan for tomorrow is to do some yoga, do some bicycles (abs) (or maybe hole my plank), and then take the extremepump class

Sue in WA - happy early anniversary!

Purl from WA - have fun. Wish I was with you

I usually plan my meals one week in advance. Except if we have leftovers that I have frozen. I want to finish them so I'll mark down when we will eat them, but fill in the days when I don't have anything written down.

kylia - that's how one of our cats sleeps. We have this sign that says "do not enter, attack cats behind door" that we use for socials. I keep telling Vince that he should take a picture of the one cat laying in that position. Great looking family. So sorry about your grandson.

kiminprogress - welcome!

Heather - I've been known to do that too. Not badger someone, but take a teaspoonful of their dessert. Wish Vince would get up so I can start to make the cake and cookies, then I can go out and powerwash.

Yea! Vince finally got up. have the key lime cake in the oven while I cut coupons. Later today I need to make these key lime cookies for Vince.

Lillian - so glad your SIL's ablation was a success. I agree, medical science has come a long way. Vince had it done about 20 years ago and it wasn't successful at all. Then he had it done again last year and it was a total success.

KarenE - I didn't know that about peaches! Do you get yours at a farmer's market?

On here just waiting for the second layer of the cake to come out of the pan. Then I'll let them cool completely while I go powerwash. No, I don't live in a retirement community. Sometimes it would be nice, tho, since someone else takes care of the lawn, etc. But I also like cutting grass, etc. And my pool -- couldn't live without that

terri - welcome! Glad you're healed from your injury

Lee - welcome to a great group. I agree with Heather, 2 pounds on me feels like 10

Penny - as usual, breathtaking photos. Thanks for posting them

Made the key lime cakes and while they were cooling went and powerwashed. Got the area by the pool and spa done and 1/2 of the sidewalk when it started to rain. Got things put away, took a shower and the sun came out!!! I could have finished just the lower part of the sidewalk. Came in and made Vince key lime cookies, had dinner, now here.

Have an organizational meeting for the bowling tomorrow. First I go to exercise then I want to stop at the Salvation Army. Last time I was there I saw this cord that I hope is still there because I want to use it for a craft for the next pool party. vince says we won't have room to store it, but I think we will.

Michele in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Purl in WA: Nothing beats the Farmers Markets in Hawaii. A must see for visitors, if only for the flowers. I can’t wait to get back to our little condo in Honolulu at end of September.

Joyce: Keeping you in prayer as you go through your exams tomorrow.

Miriam: Yay for back to school and back to your hot tub.

Kylia: Beautiful family selfie!

Lillian: Speedy recovery to your DSIL.

Karen: Hope you’ll share your review of Florence Foster Jenkins.

Heather and Katla: I spend a lot of days working at camps, but no longer find it fun to pitch a tent and sleep on the ground. I don’t mind lounging on a hammock while stargazing, before retiring into a nice warm cabin.

Penny: Oh what beauty you have around you! Glad you feel better, and thanks for sharing.

DH and I found more cleaning projects to attack around the house today. My plants were really crying out for some pruning and repotting. My back hurts, my hands are chapped, but it feels wonderful to look around and see our little place looking spiffy and uncluttered again. Made a crustless quiche and frozen veges for early dinner.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    OK, Here's the review:

The movie (Florence Foster Jenkins) was wonderful. Meryl Streep was superb. The story is based on the true story about a socialite who loved music and despite her lack of talent, pursued opera singing. It was so funny and heartwarming. I loved it because she sang even though she had a poor singing voice, and she followed her dreams despite chronic illness. It was an inspirational film, a comedy, and a love story (her husband was played by Hugh Grant). I would love to go see it again!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Glo - I'm really sorry for your loss will keep you & your family in my prayers.

Barb Indiana