WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – Great ‘nickname’ … now you need to get a “wink” (and the other eye) made of something like you stick the numbers to your mailbox … so that when you look at it from behind; it looks like a couple of eyes with one ‘winking’ at those behind you. I’ve seen this poster somewhere; just can’t think of where I saw it. One is an ‘open’ eye; and the other is just a curved line of lashes.

KarenE – DH and I went to Olive Garden to celebrate our anniversary (because they were having their “buy one, take one” special) and knowing that we’d be bringing home food and putting it in the freezer. WOW! We both ordered something different and then something alike to bring home. DH ate a little more than ½ of his, and could not eat anymore. I ate about a 1/3rd of mine and could not eat any more. We both had salad and I ate ½ piece of their bread. Came home and looked in the bag; and, I swear, the ‘pot pies’ (a ‘new’ item) was big enough to feed 4 people easily. So we will both eat (part) of one tomorrow (Monday) night and I really expect there will be enough to make another meal for me (and probably for him, too). Then, we put our leftovers from tonight into 4 little boats and froze them. I could NOT believe that they could possibly expect for one person to eat that much. But, as we were sitting there; we noticed the ‘size’ of the people coming in. I bet you, nobody in there (other than us and a couple of others) that we could see from our booth weighed less that 300lb. And that was the men; the women were even larger. A set of ‘twins’ came in and I know they had to have weighed over 300lbs each. The young black woman behind us a little had boobs that were WELL OVER a size “F” cup bra size. I’ve bought an “F” cup bra before (to hang on the Confederate Soldier in my hometown); and that is huge! Or so it seemed to me … in my teens. I wonder where these women buy their bras. Must have to special order them. My DDnL#1 is pretty large through her boobs; and these women made her look very ‘small’ by comparison. Had a young baby less than a year old. I could not see them and asked DH if they were the grandparents; he told me ‘no, she is a young woman’.

Googled this; and it said that 31% of Americans are 'over-weight'; 65% 'obese'; 12-19 are 20%; 6-11 are 17.5%; and, 2 -5 are 9.5%. Parents both working, and the easy way is to go through a 'drive-thru' for 'fast food' is probably a contributing factor. It's good to see so many on this site who are making a lot better choices in their diet and making real 'life-style' changes. CONGRATS to all!

Carol (Peach1948) – Happy Anniversary to you and you DH, too!
    I know what you are talking about ‘breaking hearts’ when Mother wanted to just ‘go home’; oldest sister got very firm with her about ‘not having a house to go home to’. She’d seem to understand for a while, then forget again. Same story. I think when the A.L.F. moved locations it set her bearing off and she stopped asking to go home. They were right across the side street to the Baptist Church she attended; and, one of the ladies would take her over whenever she felt like going. I think when they ‘moved’ … she must have thought she was then living out of town. Never asked to go home after that. We would take her out to the BBQ out near the Police Academy.
    She had a room in the lower floor (actually the basement; but she had two full windows; and her own furniture and her sofa from home; and, we rented one of those ‘lift chairs’ as well. It took sister a while to teach her ‘how to use it’. She kept telling her to wait and let it stand her up; without trying to ‘get up’. Had her phone service transferred and therefore had the same telephone number. Even, after she died; I would sometimes want an answer to a question and find myself picking it up and starting to dial the number. Middle sister said that she did the same. Mother always knew the answers to our questions, or how to find it out. One thing I remember growing up is that parents had an “Unabridged Webster’s Dictionary” which was so large that it had its own stand. I’d ask her ‘how to spell a word’ and she’d tell me to go look it up. “Gee, Mama, ‘if’ I knew how to look it up, I’d know how to spell it; how am I supposed to look it up since I don’t know how to spell it in the first place?” Sound it out … you’ll figure it out! GGrrrrr! But, it also taught me ‘how to spell’ and ‘how to look words up to see what they mean’. I love to read; but, some authors use a lot of adjectives to describe something. “A picture is worth a l000 words.” I know when I ‘chat’ … I try to explain things, that probably nobody is really interested in; but, things posted remind me of something I have experienced in some manner. We moved in that house when I was 4-years-old; and, I don’t ever remember a time that it was not there. I know that it went to one of my sisters because they had the 1st and 2nd picks.
    There were a few things that were given to family members because they either gave it to her as Christmas presents or were there when she did certain things; i.e. I got the wall hanging made out of the old hammock that Pop made white stationed on a carrier when he was in the Navy. He was 6’4” and he made it in two pieces and connected them. My niece got his flag (which still only had 48 stars to represent the states in the USA; before Hawaii and Alaska were bought. Mother still hung it on her house whenever you are supposed to display a flag. She also got the pier glass mirror that Daddy had bought for us to ‘check our petty coats’. Finally, because it always looked top heavy; Daddy had a stand made for it to sit on; which made it look balanced; and, they brought it downstairs to go in their foyer. Niece was the ‘only’ one who had a wall that I would fit in. We sold a huge buffet she had in her living room, because it would have been too bulky. We think that her DAR ribbons with her gold bars showing she had traced her lineage back to the Mayflower. We think they might have been locked in the buffet; or, possibly she had wanted to keep them with her; but, we never could find them. One sister got her wedding band; the other got her roll top secretary, and, I got her jewelry. She did call sister and asked who had gotten her jewelry because she wanted one ring back. She told me, not to give it to her, because it might go missing.
    I know that our ‘millennium’ children probably do not have any interest in the things that I, personally, would like to see ‘stay in the family’ and why. However, my DDnL#2 has raved about the Hoosier kitchen cabinet that I inherited from my Mimi. All 6 grandchildren, before she moved at the age of 82; got a choice of what she had. She laughed when one chose a ‘pitcher’ that she always had tea in for every meal. When I chose the ‘cabinet’. She asked, ‘why would you want that ‘ugly’ thing’? My answer was, it reminds me of ‘divinity and pralines’ drying (at Christmas) and what she called a ‘fruit cake’ made with fresh coconut, heavy condensed milk, nuts, and piece of fruit that go into regular fruit cakes and baked until brown. She’d turn it out onto a piece of wax paper to dry. One square inch; was still very rich; and, the condensed milk, I am sure added a whole lot of calories; but, I still loved them.

Rori – Thanks for the “Happy Anniversary” wishes.

Mary from Minnesota – I might have to try that; I’ll just need to come back to this page to figure out what you are telling me … my brain at 10:30pm is pretty addled.

Marion431 – On weekends I usually have at least one meat on Saturday and Sunday that makes me ‘go over my CI; and my CO sometimes is very lax’. But, I make up for it the rest of the week. I still just don’t go and ‘pig out’. I have enough food from our trip to Olive Garden to make 7 meals, at least!

Janetr OKC – I’m ‘’stubborn to a fault’. Got that ‘honestly’ – both parents were the type to talk to you, sort of playing the ‘Devil’s advocate’. Showing us that our actions have ‘consequences – goo, bad, and the ugly. Such as if we did something we could defiThey wanted us to be able to ‘see something’ … not for the ‘bling’ but, for what is inside it (people, places, or things). They set a ‘few’ rules for us; but, a lot of it was ‘we trust you to know better or to get yourself out of that situation; even if you have to call us to come get you, anytime, anyplace, no questions asked – until the next AM …’. They never told us that we could not date someone; but, we were strongly reminded … ‘you can’t help who you fall in love with; but, remember … you marry the good ones and the not so much so, and the bad ones as well’.

Vidkil57 - A lot of MD offices have their own ‘surgical’ wings. All the OB/GYNs that I go to will ‘stop delivering babies at the end of the years; but will still see women with ‘fertility issues’; then they will refer them to another OB/GYN. Their practice has more of a ‘one stop shop’ combination of MDs. Family Practice, OB/GYN (specializing in ‘fertility issues’, Family Practice; Internal Medicine practice (for needing to be referred to by any of the other MD; and, Pediatric practice. Where I go, they had a ‘high-end’ boutique and a high priced hair salon; but the closed them and have no plans to reopen. There were a few things ‘on sale’ that I’d buy if they were in my size. Their jewelry was priced comparable to other places.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – Great ‘nickname’ … now you need to get a “wink” (and the other eye) made of something like you stick the numbers to your mailbox … so that when you look at it from behind; it looks like a couple of eyes with one ‘winking’ at those behind you. I’ve seen this poster somewhere; just can’t think of where I saw it. One is an ‘open’ eye; and the other is just a curved line of lashes. Or a halogram to put on the back that will 'wink' at the people riding behind you, that moves whenever you hit bumps; or it changes whenever someone passes you; from their perspective. LOL!

KarenE – DH and I went to Olive Garden (because they were having their “buy one, take one” special) and knowing that we’d be bringing home food and putting it in the freezer. WOW! We both ordered something different and then something alike to bring home. DH ate a little more than ½ of his, and could not eat anymore. I ate about a 1/3rd of mine and could not eat any more. We both had salad and I ate ½ piece of their bread.

Came home and looked in the bag; and, I swear, the ‘pot pies’ (a ‘new’ item) was big enough to feed 4 people easily. So we will both eat on one tomorrow night and I really expect there will be enough to make another meal for me (and probably for him, too). Then, we put our leftovers from tonight into 4 little boats and froze them. I could NOT believe that they could possibly expect for one person to eat that much. But, as we were sitting there; we noticed the ‘size’ of the people coming in. I bet you, nobody in there that we could see from our booth weighed less that 300lb. And that was the men; the women were even larger. A set of adult ‘twins’ came in and I know they had to have weighed over 300lbs each. The young black woman behind us a little had boobs that were WELL OVER a size “F” cup bra size. I’ve bought an “F” cup bra before (to hang on the Confederate Soldier in my hometown); and that is huge! Or so it seemed to me … in my teens; at least it was the largest we could find at the K-Mart. I wonder where these women buy their bras. Must have to special order them. My DDnL#1 is pretty large through her boobs; and these women made her look very ‘small’ by comparison. Had a young baby less than a year old. I could not see them and asked DH if they were the grandparents; he told me ‘no, she is a young woman’.

Carol (Peach1948) – Happy Anniversary to you and you DH, too!

I know what you are talking about ‘breaking hearts’ when Mother wanted to just ‘go home’; oldest sister got very firm with our Mother about ‘not having a house to go home to’. She’d seem to understand for a while, then forget again. Same story. I think when the A.L.F. moved locations it set her bearing off and she stopped asking to go home. They had been right across the side street to the Baptist Church she attended; and, one of the ladies would take her over whenever she felt like going. I think when they ‘moved’ … she must have thought she was then living out of town. Never asked to go home after that. We would take her out to the BBQ out near the Police Academy.

She had a room in the lower floor (actually the basement; but she had two full windows); and her own furniture and her sofa from home; and, we rented one of those ‘lift chairs’ as well. It took sister a while to teach her ‘how to use it’. She kept telling her to wait and let it stand her up; without trying to ‘get up’. Had her phone service transferred and therefore had the same telephone number. Even, after she died; I would sometimes want an answer to a question and found myself picking it up and starting to dial the number. Middle sister said that she did the same. Mother always knew the answers to our questions, or how to find it out. One thing I remember growing up is that parents had an “Unabridged Webster’s Dictionary” which was so large that it had its own stand. I’d ask her ‘how to spell a word’ and she’d tell me to go look it up. “Gee, Mama, ‘if’ I knew how to look it up, I’d know how to spell it; how am I supposed to look it up since I don’t know how to spell it in the first place?” Sound it out … you’ll figure it out! "GGrrrrr!" But, it also taught me ‘how to spell’ and ‘how to look words up to see what they mean’. I love to read; but, some authors use a lot of adjectives to describe something. “A picture is worth a l000 words.” I know when I ‘chat’ … I try to explain things, that probably nobody is really interested in; but, things posted remind me of somethings I have experienced in some manner. We moved in that house when I was 4-years-old; and, I don’t ever remember a time that it was not there. I know that it went to one of my sisters because they had the 1st and 2nd picks and were both teachers. Even my oldest niece was (and she might have gotten it - through one of her Mother's choices).

There were a few things that were given to family members because they either gave it to her as Christmas presents or were there when she did certain things; i.e. I got the wall hanging made out of the old hammock that Pop made while stationed on a carrier when he was in the Navy. He was 6’4” and he made it in two pieces and connected them. My niece got his flag (which still only had 48 stars) to represent the states in the USA; before Hawaii and Alaska were bought. Mother still hung it on her house whenever you are supposed to display a flag. She also got the pier glass mirror that Daddy had bought for us to ‘check our petty coats’. Finally, because it always looked top heavy; Daddy had a stand made for it to sit on; which made it look balanced; and, they brought it downstairs to go in their foyer. Niece was the ‘only’ one who had a wall that I would fit on. We sold a huge buffet she had in her living room, because it would have been too bulky. We think that her DAR ribbons with her gold bars showing she had traced her lineage back to the Mayflower. We think they might have been locked in the buffet; and other pieces to one of the antique stores in the area. We could not find any of her ribbons with gold bars of men of her family, dating back to the Mayflower. She was big in the DRA. It is possible she had wanted to keep them with her; but, we never could find them. One sister got her wedding band; the other got her roll top secretary, and, I got her jewelry. She did call sister and asked who had gotten her jewelry because she wanted one ring back. She told me, not to give it to her, if she called about it; because it might go missing.

I know that our ‘millennium’ children probably do not have any interest in the things that I, personally, would like to see ‘stay in the family’ and why. However, my DDnL#2 has raved about the Hoosier kitchen cabinet that I inherited from my Mimi; DYS and DDnL#2 will get that. All 6 grandchildren, before she moved at the age of 82; got a choice of what she had in her old house. She laughed when one chose a ‘pitcher’ that she always had tea in for every meal. It was part of a set that would have been inside a box of detergent (or a slip of paper showing you the pieces you could choose from at the store). When I chose the ‘cabinet’. She asked, ‘why would you want that ‘ugly’ thing’? My answer was, it reminds me of ‘divinity and pralines’ cooling (at Christmas) and what she called a ‘fruit cake’ made with fresh coconut, heavy condensed milk, nuts, and pieces of fruit that go into regular fruit cakes and baked until brown. She'd pull out the pieces of 'citrate' because they were 'bitter'. She’d turn it out onto a piece of wax paper to dry. One square inch; was still very rich; and, the condensed milk, I am sure added a whole lot of calories; but, I still loved them.

Rori – Thanks for the “Happy Anniversary” wishes.

Mary from Minnesota – I might have to try that; I’ll just need to come back to this page to figure out what you are telling me … my brain at 10:30pm is pretty addled.

Marion431 – On weekends I usually have at least one meat on Saturday and Sunday that makes me ‘go over my CI; and my CO sometimes is very lax’. But, I make up for it the rest of the week. I still just don’t go and ‘pig out’. I have enough food from our trip to Olive Garden to make 7 meals, at least!

Janetr OKC – I’m ‘’stubborn to a fault’. Got that ‘honestly’ – both parents were the type to talk to you, sort of playing the ‘Devil’s advocate’; seeing what our choices would be. Showing us that our actions have ‘consequences – good, bad, and the ugly. Such as if we did something we could definitely know the 'consequence'. They wanted us to be able to ‘see something’ … not for the ‘bling’ but, for what is inside it (people, places, or things). They set a ‘few’ rules for us; but, a lot of it was ‘we trust you to know better or to get yourself out of that situation; even if you have to call us to come get you, anytime, anyplace, no questions asked – until the next AM …’. They never told us that we could not date someone; but, we were strongly reminded … ‘you can’t help who you fall in love with; so, remember … you marry the good ones and the not so much so, and the bad ones as well’.

Vickil57 - A lot of MD offices have their own ‘surgical’ wings. All the OB/GYNs that I go to will ‘stop delivering babies' at the end of this year; but will still see women with ‘fertility issues’; then they will refer them to another OB/GYN. Their practice has more of a ‘one stop shop’ combination of MDs. Family Practice, OB/GYN (specializing in ‘fertility issues’) and GYN patients; Family Practice; Internal Medicine practice (for needing to be referred to by any of the other MD); and, Pediatric practice. Where I go, they had a ‘high-end’ boutique and a high priced hair salon; but they closed them and have no plans to reopen that floor, unless they chose to put the OB/GYN section up there at some point. There were a few things ‘on sale’ that I’d buy if they were in my size. Their jewelry was priced comparable to other places. I liked going up to 'look' but; too much was totally out of my 'price range'.

Lenora
  • Palmbaby
    Palmbaby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I can't figure out how to join this group but I am 62. I live in Florida. I was born and raised in NM. I know that weight loss at my age is different. I had attained my weight loss goals about 1year ago and then my father died and a few months later my mother in law. I had a pretty serious vehicle B) accident in February and have gained about 30 lbs. I have just gotten the ok from the doctor to begin some exercise, like walking. No weight training yet so progress is slow but I am determined to begin the process again. I would love some friends for support and motivation. Feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to correspond with any of you. B)<3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth Yeah! I finally helped purge DD clothes while watching the live stream of closing ceremonies! There are 2 bags of used and gently used clothes -one to donate one for the rag bag. I am not gonna say I am feeling less worried about the transition but don't have a choice -gonna embrace the change :# Anyway, hope you get the health care aid worked out quickly and good for you to put the brakes on and making better food choices.

Penny and other nature walkers you all are gonna be my inspiration to get out into the beautiful world that is beyond my treadmill. How Mary and Barbie inspire others to pick up the kettle bells and weights, You all are inspiring me to get out and breathe in nature- gotta get that temp and humidity down a bit though. Here's to a successful week to everyone B)
    NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Palmbaby You joined by posting, just click the pale star just to the right above the top post on this page and it will bookmark it so you can find it again. When you want to come back, click the solid gray star next to the gear symbol and it will bring you here. Barbie starts a new thread every month, so on the 31st look for the link to the September thread and bookmark it. Welcome! What do you want us to call you?

Karen in Virginia
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    All right Karen in VA, this is for you. Right now that darn attitude thing has you by the throat, but don't you give up! Either choke it down, digest it and use it to grow, or fling it back in the swamp whence it came!
    dckyl6yklxw2.jpg

Big ol' (((hugs))) to you from

Penny and the North Pole
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    NYKAREN wrote:
    Penny and other nature walkers you all are gonna be my inspiration to get out into the beautiful world that is beyond my treadmill. How Mary and Barbie inspire others to pick up the kettle bells and weights, You all are inspiring me to get out and breathe in nature- gotta get that temp and humidity down a bit though. Here's to a successful week to everyone B)
    NYKAREN

Ah, how I dread the day (I KNOW it's coming) when I'll have to run on a treadmill. Those days when it's snowing and the wind is screaming down from the northwest and the sun doesn't go up at all. I hope they'll be few and far between this winter! Meanwhile, I challenge you to go out and breathe! Just do it, girl! :heart:

/Penny

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny I shall swallow a frog today. :DK in Va
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    Glowormin we r rich, not that rich to get a new one!

Morning peeps-

Grits- cute idea
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all

DH has gone to help a neighboring farmer to swath his canola, so I am back to my mom's house by myself. I think I have one day left in the basement. Most stuff is boxed already. I hope this is over soon. Trying to keep up with my garden and yard and everything at my mom's... I am getting a lot of steps in but I am also pooped!!

Penny I can't do a treadmill!! I always feel dizzy on it... so I walk to Leslie Sansone DVDs, I have several so i can mix it up. However I do like to walk outside in the winter when it isn't stormy out.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan.... on the run again!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri how are you settling in? Getting to know the community? Have you had time to take a breath? NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ Thanks for sharing the info about your walking friends. I talked to my SnL Saturday night and she told me how her dad had kept her mom all through the last days of her Alzheimer's. He was such a sweet man and lived past 100 yrs old.

Carol
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: I love the pep talk. My list is different, but I need to that I focus on the good things in my life instead of the worries. :heart:

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan: I'll think of you and your neighbor the next time I use canola oil to make salad dressing. :smiley:

Barbie: Your neighbors sound like excellent women. How nice to have walking buddies. My heart aches for the woman who is caring for her husband with Alzheimers. My husband has lots of health issues, but at least he is not losing himself. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Yoga today and kettlebell, too. Yay! In addition to that, I need to find a birthday present for my grandson who is turning two. I bought he and DGD gifts at the air-space museum while we were in Virginia, but the gift for him is not really age appropriate. I'll send it to Melissa and she can decide. I need something that will be good now. there is a resale shop in town that carries new gifts for little ones. They will be my first stop on my way back from yoga.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Katla- yea! You have a great exercise plan for today! Good luck in finding a gift for your DGS. I enjoy buying for the little ones birthdays.

<3

Mary from Minnesota