WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    My parents had an old home; Old Colonial built prior to the Civil War and used as a hospital/clinic during the war; then later had been divided up into 2 apartments. Lots of sheetrock covering some really beautiful stairwells and chopped up rooms. The last picture that Miriam posted was 'exactly' like the side door to my Daddy's office. The brass, very ornate door knobs were the same as well. I got one of the two stained glass windows that were in the house. One was on the front landing. Oldest sister got that one; then they moved the 2nd one to the den. After Daddy died, my Mother had the screened-in porch that she had always wanted since they had remodeled the house; built; and, I got the 2nd stained glass window. Put it in the room you come into as you enter our house (back door is actually used as our front door). DH used some old wood and made a wide window sill. IF we ever remodel the bathroom; I plan on having it moved and put horizontally and make that end of the bathroom into a shower; that could be used if either of us were ever wheelchair bound. But, that is merely a 'dream'. The house had 12" wide floorboards (that part that is actually around the perimeter of the rooms. It had a bead board effect. It is amazing that the house had so much detail in every room. In the dining room and living room were very ornate mantels with mirrors and ornate fireplace covers. In the dining room it had tiles with a pea pod relief in the design. Every room had a fireplace. One of the first things we had done was all checked to see if they were working. Man who did so, told Daddy 'no, it would not be safe to use them'. Until they moved their MBR downstairs, the whole house was cooled with a industrial sized attic fan. The down stairs was A/C and heated like a 'new' house. It had one cracked blade and when he replaced it; he had 6 more made so they could be replaced if they cracked. It would make a horrible noise when it did and it would have to be replaced. House had so many features that were absolutely beautiful. In my Junior year in HS they took off the wrap around porch that was 20' feet wide and made it into a Williamsburg-style home. I also got a wrought iron air vent grate that is about 1" thick; that I use as a hot plate to the side of my stove. I can remember there was a 'gang plank' from the outside (porch) foundation to the inside foundation and our boyfriends had to either walk across it or come to the back door. One Christmas someone let out a part-German Shepard puppy on the board; and, it came to the door and whined. He sounded just like a 'baby crying' which would have been something that anybody could have done because Daddy was an attorney. I named the dog, "Judge" and he loved my Daddy so much that he would follow him to his office when it was upstairs over one of the drugstores in town.

I used to upset my mother when I would tell people that in the 'old house' I slept in a 'closet'. She would say that it was an enclosed porch. It was just big enough for the baby bed to fit between the door she'd come in; and the outside wall. She'd have to turn sideways to shimmy down the side of it to get me out of the bed; had a small bookcase and a dresser and a window over the bed, that I could look out when I was in the bed. One night I got out of the crib, went out the back door; and, toddled up to the highway and played in a mud puddle. I'm surprised I did not get killed. A black woman brought me to the door, covered from head to toe in red mud; and, asked my Mother 'if I was her baby'. She told her 'can't be, she is asleep in the bed'. Then she came to check on me; and, I was that muddy baby'.

We rarely had snow in middle Georgia; but, one Thanksgiving Day we were put outside to play, in short; by the end of the day we had our winter coats and hats on and mittens - in the snow. We'd get more 'ice storms' than snow; and we'd get them about every 5 - 7 years. The Sheriff could call my Daddy to put up stranded motorists. We'd play under the fallen limbs of the big magnolia tree; unfortunately they trimmed it up when they took the porch off. We would climb out on the roof and over a limb and down the tree. Middle sister was the only one afraid to do so. There was a concrete patio between the side of the house and the trunk of the tree. We'd sneak out, just because we could. Daddy never wanted us to walk on the roof of the porch it was a tin roof; and, it was subject to leak; but, we'd put lounge chairs out on it and climb out to sunbathe. The balcony would 'hide' us from when Daddy drove into the driveway. Sometimes we would throw water balloons at people driving by (especially at the boys in town when there were riding the route). That was where we drove to find out where things were going on. It circled all around and through town and around the courthouse square. Best place was out at the city pool or while 'sitting' on the (retainer) wall at the local DQ.

Lenora
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Joyce Wow! Lots of tornado damage in central Indiana!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,767 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies-
    Worked 10:30 -6 busy busy,I took my DGD to the playground at her school this morning..OK can I just say I am wayyyy out of Shape..she had me on the swing and I was swinging ,and then she wanted me to run after her.. That I couldn't do.. Really have to get back into the swing of things...
    Tomorrow night is Mary Chapin Carpenter so will have to take a nap tomorrow afternoon lol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, We were fortunate that we were both ready to sell our RV at the same time. I love line dancing because I can do it by myself....when friends asked me if I my husband liked to dance, I told them "we have an agreement...I don't make him dance and he doesn't make me play golf"

:)Heather, one of the things I like most about line dancing is the music but it's an integral part of the exercise, not just a background.

:)Joyce, Jake got his first stent in 2004 at age 59 and has had others since then...the stents made a huge difference in his breathing and stamina...I wish the same good results for you

<3Melanie, thanks for the update and sorry for all the things that have been lost

<3Jane, best wishes on your next surgery

t31211.gifWhen I sit in my chair at the computer, my legs feel fine and when I read about all the weight training, goblet squats, and kettle bell swings, I am inspired to get back to doing them. When I stand up again, I realize how much pain I have in my legs and give up on the idea. As long as I can walk the dogs and go to my dance classes, I'm fine and don't want to push my luck by doing more.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington where it's so hot that the dogs don't want to go outside t113030.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Heather and Miriam First I am treated to the lovely photos of Penny's mental health hike, then CJ's sweet sunflower house, then Miriam's gorgeous pouty and smiley daughters, then Heather's charming charming grandchildren and finally the pictures of Miriam's wonderful old house. Thanks, ladies! That was great!

Karen in Virginia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I went to goals and tried to reset my carbs and it wouldn't let me. I don't know if I have to also do the fats and protein but I need to check with my PCP in order to do that. But it said it all has to it all has to equal 100% I have a feeling I may need premium to do this and I don't.

Karen, I hadn't heard about the storms. I am just glad we haven't. It's been several years since we had bad storms and we can get some doozies. I prefer to keep it that way.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Meg - is your Food Diary open for others to see? Maybe we could take a look and give suggestions? I just friended you! <3

Whoever posted about Cucumber water the other day thanks! I looked it up on the internet yesterday and found a recipe which includes cucumber, sliced lemon & fresh mint leaves. Drinking it today and really enjoying it. This will certainly increase my water intake - 8oz = 3 calories (probably burn that off slicing and peeling).good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks Rori for the info on the Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw. I made some tilapia the other night and am going to use it up for the tacos and making the slaw to put on them. Can't wait - sounds yummy! taco-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Miriam - my boys don't start school until 9/7. Know that look on the oldest girls face well - uh too well arguing.gif

Heather - thanks to your talk about making split pea soup I just had to make some too. Found a recipe Canadian Yellow Split Pea Soup that I made yesterday. I've never used yellow split peas before and think I will stick with them from now on. They seem to have a subtler flavor than the green although I like either.

Mary - If you do make that trip maybe we could set up a meeting for the OR girls and WA girls who could come meet you for lunch or to swing kettle bells? I'm only about 1 1/2 hours from Portland and would certainly drive it to meet up with you! Anyone else in??? happy-friends-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ok caught up and have a patio waiting for me to go through boxes so off I go until later!

Gloria in WA
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Today was cool and rainy, a real change from what we normally get. I'm not complaining at all, love not running the air conditioner, just fling the windows open and let the wind push through.

I've been thinking about yesterday's and today's funerals and the people who passed away. Yesterday's funeral was small, about 100 folks attended, filling a small chapel. The gentleman was distinguished in his field, held a PhD, active, wealthy and also crusty, at least according to his friends and family. He had been married over 50 years, no childern.

Today's funeral had over 400 people attend in the middle of the day. Standing room only. The lady was described as sweet, giving, a pillar in her church, firm in her faith, loved by her Sunday school kiddie bible class, devoted to her husband of 65 yrs and her 2 childern, with many grandchildern and great grandchildern. She always had a kind word for everyone and a twinkle in her eye. (I know from experience that twinkle was most apparent just before she asked you to help her do 'fill in the blank'. :smiley: )

Both will be missed, but I couldn't help think as I gazed at all the people that she had touched who attended her funeral services, that she had touched so many more lives in her time with her positive mindset. It wasn't wealth or her education that made her loved, it was her kindness to all and her cheerful mindset. She will be greatly missed. <3

Charleen in Colorado (120 days and 21 lbs less and still counting)
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Melanie, thanks so much for the update but I sure wish you and your family were not having to deal with this. Please know we are thinking of you and that you all can get back on track as soon as possible!
    Miriam, I am a sucker for old houses but have been living in a split level for ages now. Even that is getting to be antique though.
    Betty
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gloria Wa- it would be fun to meet but we will be on a very tight schedule. We are going to be visiting the twins in San Diego and my DH's DD in Sacramento. All in one week. Once my DH retires we will have more time.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Today was another gardening day, almost done until Ia e to weed again sigh. Getting warm and humid again so can't stay out too long.
    MEG - so glad to see you again. Been wondering if you were still on MFP.
    JESSICA -welcome to a super group of ladies.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I went to goals and tried to reset my carbs and it wouldn't let me. I don't know if I have to also do the fats and protein but I need to check with my PCP in order to do that. But it said it all has to it all has to equal 100% I have a feeling I may need premium to do this and I don't.

Karen, I hadn't heard about the storms. I am just glad we haven't. It's been several years since we had bad storms and we can get some doozies. I prefer to keep it that way.

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce Everything does have to add up to 100%, so if you lower the percentage of your carbs you have to increase fat &/or protein %. For example, on a 1000 calorie plan (I only choose this because it makes the math easy), if you wanted to decrease carbs from 150g/d to 100g/d you would be decreasing the carb% from 60% to 40% based on 4kcal/g. The reason you have to increase the % of the other macronutrients is that in the above example, the 200 calories you are giving up in carbs needs to be made up in protein and/or fats so your calories will stay the same. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oops...
    Miriam, your girls are so cute and you can definitely tell they are sisters. I worry that the kids will have backaches from all they have to lug around all day
    Daryl - welcome and hopefully we will lose those 25 pounds together.
    Heather - what beautiful grands.. Those eyes are gorgeous.
    Melanie- so sorry you and your family have to go brought those floods. are youth LA? We have some relatives south of Baton Rouge.
    Better get my dishes done, see you all tomorrow.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary: DH and I both had Costco hotdogs for lunch. :bigsmile: Your cross country trip sounds great. Do you know when you'll be in Portland? I'll be in Illinois at the end of October for my new grandbaby's birth. Maybe you'll be here before I leave. I would love to follow Gloria's suggestion and find a way to meet if the timing is right. It doesn't sound promising. :flowerforyou:

Penny: I couldn't find BBC Earth, either. I wonder if it will show up on the internet. I'll be looking forward to whatever you share. :smiley:

Heather: Your grandchildren are gorgeous! :bigsmile:

Melanie: I'm thrilled that you are back in your home, but sorry for the loss of possessions. The pictures were safe and they were the most important possessions. Yay for that blessing! :heart: Sending good thoughts for your daughter and others in the flood zone. (((HUGS)))

Miriam: I love the photos of your front door. It is a beautiful entry to your home. :star:

Joyce: I hope that someone will be able to help you. I don't mess with the percentage goals they have set for me. I eat what I choose and report it. They tell me what the calories and percentages are. My carbs are nearly always way below what they suggest, protein is at or above goal, and fat is usually quite a bit above goal. I log every bite and swallow. :ohwell:

Jane: I hope your knee operation is 100% effective and you heal quickly. (((HUGS)))

Barbie: I love this, "We were fortunate that we were both ready to sell our RV at the same time. I love line dancing because I can do it by myself....when friends asked me if I my husband liked to dance, I told them "we have an agreement...I don't make him dance and he doesn't make me play golf." I'm probably going to have to face things for what they are and put the boat on the market. This is really not the best season for that, so it will likely happen next spring. :cry:

The appointment with the MS doctor revealed some bad news. Apparently DH's disease is progressing and he has new weakness on his left side. The doctor is ordering an MRI to get a better picture of everything, and also some physical therapy for DH. The boat was discussed. DH gets motion sick on the docks and the boats. The doctor doesn't think that is likely to improve. It is more likely to get worse. I need to consider letting the boat go. :broken_heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Majestic Misses!

Not much happening - another day, another celery stalk... Went for mostly veggies and dip today. Sorry, but, I can't choke down raw carrots without a little Hidden Valley Ranch...

But, I brought too much food - so I am taking the yogurts home with me for tomorrow's lunch. I needed those calories for dinner, anyway.

The elliptical machine is my friend... I can ignore the sweat, ignore the continuous cycling of my legs, so long as I have my tablet full of trashy romance novels. My DH teases me about all the stories being the same - and so what if they are? I like that... routine and sameness make me happy.

Joyce – Wow – you’re a rock star! Next thing you know they will be filming your life for TV. And go for the slow build on that bike riding… eventually, you will work your way up. **you have to be sure the goal percentages total 100% - so you will have to change them all.

Pip – 987

Gloria/WA – weird… I wonder if that is because the Laundrymat bolts the washers to the floor?

Katla – So sorry DH’s MS is progressing! Oh, and so sad about the boat, too…. ((Hugs!))

Heather – I wish I had some machines at home! I would love not having to go out, also – however – the gym is only a few blocks away, so… I just go. Ahhhhhh. The Bea fix. Thanks. ALL of them are adorable!

Allie – Yay for Karma…and yes - beware the desk job… it takes Sedentary to a whole new level. Enjoy the concert! (and the nap!)

Penny – “Stubborn,” Check! Got that part down pat. :]

Janet – Lucky you… you have BBC Earth… I will have to have my DH download it, or get it from the library if/when it comes out on DVD.

Elizabeth – The exercise can seem sooooo hard – and then you do it, and it’s like “well, why do I always resist that? I feel great!”

Jade – Welcome! The more, the merrier… pull up a keyboard and sit down…

Miriam – lol – didn’t we ALL have long hair parted in the middle? It was just what you did in the 70’s. Scowling girls – I am thinking that will be normal, for a bit. Teenagers… *sigh* Scowling, or not, those are some lovely girls! And that is a fantastic door… Marvelous!

KarenE – funny, isn’t it… Some people get bored… I thrive on the same old routine. I don’t want to have to think too hard… just shove me toward the elliptical. Now, I just want to add a few things for strength training on days when I have more time. Have fun at the spa!

KJ<3

Tracey – Poor Little Rower… I hope you get it some new batteries, soon!

Jessica – Oh, the pitfalls of “eyeballing.” I can’t stress enough how important weighing and measuring is… you might be shocked and horrified by how off your “eyeball” is. And thank goodness, it never is too late.

Carol – Have fun with your Pressure Cooker experiments!

Meg – so nice to see you! I am with you – my house is on a little rise… maybe 2.5 to 3 feet over street level. Thankfully, it is unlikely that I will ever have flood issues.

Lenora – The one that makes me crazy is Your and You’re… so many people don’t get the difference… your possession, vs you’re – You Are… I see if misused every day! And yes – the new washers are HUGE – so that is nice – but I am still not in love with mine. I liked my ancient spin washer that “wasted” water by submerging the clothes and then sloshing them around. LOL – and you can keep making me jealous ALL you like! You GO, Girl! I was just teasing you. And jealous, I may be – but discouraged? Oh no. I just can’t believe how stubborn the scale is – but, I am really all about the exercise, anyway. (See “stubborn” note, above.) Glad for that poor boy that you weren’t packing… lol. Oh… and I am getting the “vision” of you as a child with water balloons and an evil glint in your eye… >:)

Daryl Ann – Welcome!

NYKaren – Good luck with the new school year… You got this!

Mary – My DH LOVES the hotdogs at Sam’s club, too. We almost always get one for him when we go. Thank heaven, Hot Dogs are not on my list of Life’s Best Delights. I can just skip them. I can’t help you with the train – but – I know you will enjoy the drive down the coast.

Jasjulkat – Welcome!

Di/PA – OMG – I hated those calorie books! That is why I was SOOOOO glad to find MFP this time around. I have been grooving on celery with Laughing Cow cheese spread in it… It is satisfyingly crunchy, creamy and low carb. I have been using a laughing cow wedge per half stalk of celery – but, really – I could spread one over a whole stalk without being deprived at all. The laughing cow is only 35 calories a wedge – so, it’s a fabulous snack. Great job on moving more – I have found that makes all the difference for me.

Melanie – I am so glad you were able to save the pictures – everything else is just “stuff” but the photos are irreplaceable! Good luck with getting it all dried out and re-done. I know you and your daughter will come out of this stronger and with some stories to tell… ((Hugs!))

Marcelyn – thanks for the link!

Jane – We will be thinking of you, next week! Good luck with the knee.

Di/BC – Great idea to walk in Costco… it get's VERY warm, around here.

Karen/VA - *waves*

DJ – LOL – that was HAPPY – you KNOW Pip is my hero! I was just THAT excited to see her. Wow – your car repair was cheaper than my AC! Whoot! Keep Dancin’, Sister!

Barbie – I find that my legs give me a lot of grief when I stand up – when I have been sitting for too long. HOWEVER – once I stand for a minute, and stretch them out – they are fine… they just like to whine when I first get up.

Charleen – ((Hugs!)) Yes… the cheerful, positive people do touch a lot of lives. Sometimes that smile can change your whole day.

Betty – Hi!

SueBDew – That yard just keeps on growing! Seems like I have to mow and weed every five minutes… but, it’s great calorie burn.

Well, I am going to head out a little earlier. Have to boil up some brussel sprouts and warm up the leftover soup when I get home... An easy dinner - and so much better for me than Tacos and Refried beans... lol.

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr bosu workout DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do an advanced strength DVD.

Had a Newcomer board meeting this morning, then some of the ladies from the neighborhood got together for lunch so I thought it only nice to join them, even if it was late. The good part is that all I needed to order were 2 orders of steamed broccoli since everyone else had already ordered. Just had water to drink. Ceramics tonight. Made some more of these chocolate bars for the social. We'll get some ice (for free) from the rec center when we go to ceramics tonight. Since we live so far away and it's so warm out, some of the ice cubes might melt.
    Well, that I don't mind since I'll use that ice in the coolers. I'll ask one of the gals who is helping to pick up two 10lb bags of ice that we can use in the ice buckets.

Jess just called to say that Colby, Penn and she are coming. So tomorrow will probably be a baking day. I need to ice and decorate the cake then I think I'll make brownies for Penn to take home with him.

Re - the gal who is the president of Newcomers joined our senior bowling league (not related to Newcomers). I was sitting next to her when they told me I was on that guys' team. She could see my eyes rolling. Today I explained to her why. Hopefully, he's changed. Time will tell

I told (not asked) Vince that we were going out to dinner tomorrow, for one thing so that I don't have to make something and have more leftovers in the freezer and for another thing so that I can get a break. Told him that we're going to Red Lobster since I have the gift card to there. So there.......

jade and DarylAnn - welcome

Skimming now, so much to do. Seems getting ready for this social is somewhat time consuming. Don't really know why this year seems to be so different.

Heather - lovely pics!

melanie - so glad you got to save your pics and sad for your daughter. How heartbreaking!

katla - I'm so sorry about the news. What a shame about the boat, I know how much you love it.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla - I'm sorry to hear about your DH's MS getting worse. I know you enjoy the boating and it is hard to deal with both issues at the same time. (((Hugs))) We are still trying to make arrangements with DH's DD that still will only communicate through text. I would love to meet up with you but we have over 17 hours to drive down to San Diego and not sure yet when she wants to see us. I will let everyone know if things come together and would work out! Yea! For the Costco hotdogs! We buy them and grill them. They are delicious that way.

Re- I heard that Sam's hotdogs are awesome as well! Have you taken the costal highway before? We would like to explore the Redwood Forest. That's only 2 hours away from Sacramento where DH's other DD lives. We may meet them there and do some exploring.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I must be having an airhead moment or 2 I posted earlier than I came back this evening post more but I think I didn't ha ha!

Today went great , learned a lot I still have questions I think it will be like that for awhile! They use so many different names for stuff the Molina group instead of just staying the Medicaid division! There are so many fingers in one pot it's hard for me to really get a handle on it. Situations like that makes me really uncomfortable!

After class today I was able to make it to The Y and able to take part in my swim class! So love being in the water it is my happy place.

Sorry if sometimes my lack of correct grammar makes anyone struggle! My brain goes 100 miles an hour and I don't always catch it!

@katla49 yes I bet it maybe me! I was here awhile back off and on! Sometimes I go by Liz or Elizabeth ! Whatever mood I am in! I always love how welcoming this group is ! Welcoming and encouraging!

@Meg welcome back! Sorry your glucose numbers are giving you a hard time! I struggle with that too.

@Barbie-- your agreement with your husband about dancing is the same as the agreement I have with my husband about swimming I love it! He doesn't He loves playing long board games like settlers of canton but I don't !

@Miriam I love the picture of your girls.

Welcome everyone!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,649 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 10.29min, 14.8amph, 145mhr, 2.5mi = 87c
    SPIN- 45min, 84r, 76w, 9-13g, 147mhr, 10.8mi = 319c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.05min, 12.4amph, 142mhr, 1mi = 61c
    ride gym hm up 25th and Msts- 15.48min, 9.7amph, 125ahr, 156mhr, 2.5mi = 189c
    total cal 656
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

@katla49 yes I bet it maybe me! I was here awhile back off and on! Sometimes I go by Liz or Elizabeth ! Whatever mood I am in! I always love how welcoming this group is ! Welcoming and encouraging!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho

Welcome BACK!!!!!!!!! I thought it might be you. :flowerforyou: :star: