WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Re in TX – I wasn’t bad … just ‘adventuresome’ … I was too ‘scared’ to try much for fear of embarrassing my parents. They did not set a lot of rules; but, ‘breaking curfew’ was something they DID enforce … with a vengeance. My Mother ‘never’ forgot. If she ‘told’ you something would happen … it did; if she told you something would NOT happen, Hell would freeze over!

I had a ‘friend’ (using that term very loosely) who would spend the weekend with me; but, then I was expected to spend the weekend with her. I hated it! She was the ‘new kid in town’ and because our school counselor made me the ‘one-woman welcoming committee’ to try to find a group that the ‘new student’ would fit into; I sort of ‘got stuck by glue’ with this girl. One weekend; without knowing it … she made dates with a 2 different boys; then left with the one that showed up first. My Mother was beyond “HOT”! So when I got home from my date; she told me that she had told her to ‘go home and was not welcomed again in ours’. I could not ever spend the weekend with her; which really made me even happier! Because she lived with her ‘single’ father; who would NOT allow her/us to date. One of my boyfriends who was really a ‘friend/brother’ that I dated off and on throughout HS and I had made a date; and, when he came over, this man blocked the doorway. I went under his arm and ran to the car; and, I was ‘happy’ that my mother had forbidden me from going back. Life improved greatly; but, I was ‘punished’ the next weekend because of what she did. I ‘thought’ my Mother would ‘forget’ … WRONG!! But, she did allow me to have this ‘friend’ stay with me listening to records. He always walked me into the house after a date and would speak to her when she came out looking at the clock in the hall.

As for hair styles … I know 3 of my friends wore their hair long and parted down the middle; they would wrap their hair in beer cans. It always was funny to me to see them putting on their make-up before a football game. Two of them were majorettes. I helped another friend light their fire batons. I wore my hair “Farah Fawcett” style. I think we were Juniors and/or Seniors at the time. I’d said that I’d never cut my hair in lengths again; but, I did cut my hair really short; and, it has taken me almost 3 years to grow out. I’m hoping that DDnL#2 will be able to do something with it. Had it long for a while; but, DH likes it best about ‘chin length’. When it was ‘long’ it was so hot that I would end up ‘putting it up’ or into a ponytail. That’s probably a better length. I’m hoping that there will not be a problem for her to be able to cut it all one length now! I just am looking forward to a ‘stylish’ hair-do.

As long as my large capacity washer is working ... I'm keeping it; and, will buy another 'large capacity' top load the next time around.

My nemesis is ‘cheese’. Any kind (except Limburger – stinky cheese). I really prefer a ‘mild’ white cheese because I can eat more of it as the ‘yellow’ cheese is made from a ‘mold’ and I can’t tolerate most dairy foods. I love Pepper Jack cheese; but, I like ‘hot and spicy’ food. My DFnL got me started on ‘hot sauce’. He put it on everything. Because I wanted him to ‘like’ me; I put it on my meal the first night. WOW! Loved it; and, have never stopped eating a lot of my meals without ‘hot sauce’ on them. About an ounce of yellow block cheese and/or ½ cup of milk or ice cream. I do have my cravings, and I don’t deny myself of any cravings. If I did … I would just eat more. I think that is why I look forward to my protein bars at night w/coffee. They satisfy my urge for ‘chocolate’.

I love murder mysteries that ‘keep my attention’. I finally put down a book that I just could not get past the first 10 to 15 pages. Not worth it to me; although reading a book cover-to-cover that I really wanted to put down; was the first one that got me ‘into reading for pleasure’. I’ll get 6 or 7 books from the library and both my husband and I will read them all during the 2-week check-out period of time.

LOL! How about 'sight', 'site', and 'cite'.

We gave our elliptical machine to our DOS; I ‘think’ most of the time, it is a clothes hanger’ but, neither DH nor I could do it for more than 5 minutes before we just could not walk. We then bought a treadmill; which I will use during the cold or rainy season (winter). I’ll put on a CD and walk to as many songs as possible. Or, at lease, 20 minutes (which I have to work up to, if I have been off it for a while. I enjoy being in the pool and walking around in it.

I love how you come up with names to address us by.

Lenora
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody - my real name is Jessica and originally am from Kansas City (hence jjfromkc) but have lived in central Illinois most of my life.

Wow I am enjoying the posts! I have been "eyeballing" my food portions and am inspired now to go get a real scale and measure accurately. Also am inspired to move more. I increased my step goal to 6000 but some days get nowhere near that. The Apple Watch reminds me to stand up when I have been sitting too long.

Does anybody else have an Apple Watch? It is new to me and not sure how to use it to the max to help in this health journey.

Thanks for the inspiration everybody - it's never too late!

Jessica
    I also have an Apple Watch, I love gadgets. I like that it reminds me to stand, especially now that I have a job where I am chained to my desk. I set it for 30 minutes of exercise and watch the rings progress during the day. I also use the fitness app which I use to time my workouts on rower, elliptical or walking. I like to time my workout, because I hate exercising so much and like that it vibrates to let me know the half way point. I also have a Fitbit and that helped me get to my goal.

I lost over 40 lbs, I began when I was 58, 2 years ago September 8. I achieved my goal and am.struggling to keep the lbs. from creeping up. A new job has taken so much of my time, I find it very, very difficult to find the time to exercise. But I'm never giving up!

I am so happy to hear that you are getting married! I have been single for over 20 years and recently decided to jump back into the dating pool. Keep giving me encouragement to not give up please.

Love to all, not much has changed in my life and still struggling to find my new normal.

Gotta get to bed so I can face the world again tomorrow. Maybe it will be the day that will change my life,

Chris in MA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Chris- I think you already changed your life. You should be proud of all your accomplishments. I think you are doing fantastic! I have faith that you are going to make your life amazing!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Katla: Sorry about DH's news. Although you may have to give up the boat, you still have your beautiful home right on the water overlooking the docks. I hope that's some consolation. ((Hugs))

Jane: Sending you good thoughts and energy. Keep us posted.

Melanie: My heart hurts thinking of your loss. Also sending up prayers for you and your DD. Let us know how we can help. Yay for having photos in bins.

Heather: Your DGC are so, so precious.

DJ: Have we told you that we love you, too? <3

This must be Costco day for our community. Today I went for the usual cartload of cleaning supplies and healthy food, but no hot dog. I have some other friends who, like Mary, can't pass them up, but thankfully, I'm never tempted.

Tomorrow DH and I have to get Hep A vaccines -- a recent necessity for anyone travelling to the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Yep, that would be us. I'm already beginning to lose sleep thinking of the millions of details to take care of before we put our condo up for sale. Arggggh. Just have to stay in the present and 'not let perfection be the enemy of the good.'

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Gorgeous girls, Miriam! Knowing a bit about your background, I feel certain you let them know how wonderful they are and reinforce their self-esteem every chance you get.

Like Mary, I also zoomed in on the door in the background and the woodwork. And those light switches. And the colored glass! When I was growing up in Minneapolis, we had panels above our front picture windows with that marbled effect. Your doorway felt just like home! I experienced exactly the same "I'm home" feeling when I visited my sister's house in Madison, WI. Is it an upper midwest thing?

Ladies, the program Svalbard - Life on the Edge is on BBC Earth, not your standard vanilla BBC channel. If you can't find it, never mind. I'll supply you with glimpses of life on the edge here in the thread. I promise. :smiley:

/Penny on the edge
    I found a 30 second snippet on the Internet.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny & Longyearban fans: I went looking on the net. BBC has some clips of Longyearban & I got the impression I could buy episodes. Only one clip worked right for me. Then I found a glorious slide show. What a wondrous place. I can see why you love it. :heart:

Rori: Nobody likes vaccinations, but hepatitis is not something to fool around with. Good luck with your trip and the condo sale. :flowerforyou:

Katla, enjoying a lovely evening in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Karen, thanks for the info. I had already sent a message to my doctor's office through 'View my chart' and asked my nurse practitioner. I really like that I can ask a question at night or whenever I think about it rather than during office hours.

Betty we live in a bi-level and a lot of people have no idea what that is. They really don't sell for that much on the used market. It is willed to my youngest daughter and I know she will appreciate it.

I have an appointment with the nurse practitioner at the pulmonologist office. It seems like that is all you see these day. I am to take my actual machine part of the c-pap so that they can look in the record inside it and if they think they need to do any setting changes, they can or they might order a sleep study. I can't remember so suggested it here but the cardiologist also suggested it. So we will see what goes on there.

Went to choir practice tonight and it was pretty tiring. Was disappointed. I was hoping to be back to my normal as far as breath control. I have always been very proud of how many measures I can hold a note out. Was pretty pitiful tonight. Was proud that I was able to not turn into a Walmart, CVS or Walgreens and get my usual Wednesday evening Milky Way. Went home and ate some yogurt instead. Didn't taste the same. Do not need a heart healthy diet if you are a Southern Baptist! Deserts, fried chicken, we love to meet and eat. And our Sunday school class meets every month and our teacher makes wonderful deserts.

Back and hips and bursitis are hurting. Cant take any arthritis medicine, Aleve or Motrin for the whole eyar I am on the blood thinner type medicine after the stent. I don't want to depend on Tylenol.

Joyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »

Tomorrow DH and I have to get Hep A vaccines -- a recent necessity for anyone travelling to the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Yep, that would be us. I'm already beginning to lose sleep thinking of the millions of details to take care of before we put our condo up for sale. Arggggh. Just have to stay in the present and 'not let perfection be the enemy of the good.'

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Rori I bet Cheri would be your cheerleader! She is the moving goddess! I personally break out in a cold sweat thinking of getting a house ready to sell. I am so bad at it. I think I can be ruthless about getting rid of stuff but then I waffle when it comes time. Must grow a backbone for that sort of thing.

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted recently but I have managed to speed read thru all the posts.

Tonight is my last night of the c-pap trial, I either have to decide to buy or return it tomorrow afternoon. The problem is that I still don't know if it is helping or making matters worse. How you feel is so subjective given the day and the events occurring not to mention how subtle the improvement can be. I have an appointment with the Dr to discuss before the appointment with the sleep clinic. We'll see what she recommends at $2500.00 it's not chump change!

My dad had developed a back issue almost overnight and its gone on for at least 10 days now. He started with a sore back on the 14th and by the 15th he was in so much pain he couldn't walk, sit or lie down. Went to emergency and they say it is arthritis. From a fellow who walks in excess of 20,000 steps every day to not being able to get out of a chair, bed or walk without support in less than 24 hours. Does arthritis really hit that severely that quickly?

Re: Your posts shed a ray of sunshine on my day

Heather, Miriam: Love the pics of the kids! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to everyone new

Have a wonderful evening ladies.

Carey -Northern Alberta
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Carey- I don't know about arthritis but I have had my back go out like that just from turning wrong. I hope he feels better soon!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla - so sorry to hear the news of your husband's MS progressing. My heart is breaking with you. I'll keep you both in my prayers. <3

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rori wrote - "This must be Costco day for our community. Today I went for the usual cartload of cleaning supplies and healthy food, but no hot dog. I have some other friends who, like Mary, can't pass them up, but thankfully, I'm never tempted."

Now this makes me jealous lol There are no Costco stores in Oklahoma because being in the "Bible belt" our state does not allow alcohol (only 3.2 beer) to be sold in grocery stores so Costco will not open any stores here. A lot of people would like to see that change, but currently that's how it stands.

BTW I don't think I've met a hot dog that I have "enjoyed". Just not my thing.

Lisa - WE are missing you. Hope you are hanging in there (((hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mary - maybe I could just meet you where you are going to rent your car, give you a quick hug and wave goodbye. teary-eyes-waving-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

Katla - the thought of you having to get rid of your boat brought tears to my eyes. Perhaps you could find a couple or group who would love to go out with you? Maybe Sea Scouts? It could be a win-win for both all of you. They could get more experience - you could feel the sea wind on your face. I know how hard it is to not be able to go to your place of solitude. <3

Watching Titanic for the first time. I know unbelievable eh?

Gloria in WA
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Gloria Wa- that would be nice. The only issue is that I've been reading information on the train arrival and since Amtrak is at the mercy of the freight trains you can never tell when they will arrive. Generally on time is considered at least an hour late. It might work on our return trip is departing at 4:45. We have to be there by 4:00. My DH said that he thought it would be fun to meet my friends. Will let you know closer to our trip.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! - drank all my water today thanks to the Cucumber Water! ice-water-smiley-emoticon.png
  • dac2000
    dac2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just rejoined fitness pal and hoping to stay connected with a motivational group .
  • jadefitnow
    jadefitnow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who welcomed me! What a terrific, talented and positive group of women- I'm very glad I found you, this is a perfect place for inspiration!

I've always been a workout nut, and remain so; I'm also a certified yoga teacher. I was single for many, many years and now have a significant other + 20 extra lbs I've gained having great fun, vacations, dinners out with him. Has anyone else noticed the disparity in men's weight gains/losses compared to ours??? For every 5 he gains, I gain 15 and for every 15 he loses, I lose 5! Just not fair!!!!

Thanks to you all- look forward to *getting to know you*
    Julie from NJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    Options
    Julie - WELCOME! I met my DH in later life and, though I wasn't skinny, promptly put on 14 pounds having fun. I managed to lose 5 of those in the six weeks between getting engaged and getting married, but was still overweight.
    I am now at target (actually 2 pounds over :'( ) at nearly 67, so it certainly can be done. I am married to a skinny, fit one. Men are generally bigger and have a bigger muscle to fat ratio, which accounts for how easy it is for them to lose weight as muscle burns more calories. Just being heavier means you burn loads more calories.
    I remember watching a recent tv programme where a woman sweated her **** off in the gym for 3 hours to burn off her 800 calorie breakfast whereas her very tall, muscly husband just sat on the couch for 3 hours reading the paper and burned off the same amount! :sad: I exercise so I can eat, drink and enjoy my life without having to live on a lettuce leaf. I am careful of what I eat within reason and don't eat many complex carbs.
    You certainly know how to do it, so it's just a matter of putting your health first. :flowerforyou:

Katla - Really sorry to hear of the progression of your DH's MS. You are very stalwart about it all. :flowerforyou:

With regard to my DGC's blue eyes - all three have blue eyes. Both parents have dark brown eyes. They obviously both have a recessive blue gene, which gives each child a 1 in 4 chance of having blue eyes, if I understand my Mendel properly. To have all three children blue is unusual. Can one of you mathematicians calculate that for me????

Today I'm going to have a go at the Barbacoa-beef recipe from skinnytaste.com. I hope it doesn't come out too hot (spicy) for DH. ;):* I'm going to present it over roasted butternut squash with a tomato salsa and arugula from the garden. There will be masses left over to freeze. I will freeze some of the sauce separately.

My cleaner is back today after a fortnight's holiday. I've been tidying up! :laugh: Just put away the grandkids'duvet covers that have been drying on the banisters. I liked having them there. :'(<3:'(

Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, from what I remember of my statistics, it is still a 1 in 4 chance that all three will be blue eyed. But I have not used any of that for years, so I may be remembering wrong.

Katla, sorry to hear about the hubbie and his MS. To add upon someone else's idea, is there an Explorer boy scout troop in your area that focuses on boating. Explorers are high school age, so old enough to help with the boat and to learn how to sail. It might be a fun way to help some kids and get your time on the water. It wouldn't be quiet time, though.