WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    cci - thanks. we've been doing the MS bike ride every september for years it's the only ride i actively fund raise for, all the others, we just pay the registration fee and run or ride. actually, this is the only bike ride that's organized that we do and attend, all the others are runs.

morning peeps
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! While awake in the wee hours I was thinking about how so many of us are in the various stages of downsizing. A move from a big house in Ohio to small house in Texas. A condo in Hawaii to be sold. An RV sold a few years ago. An RV purchased to live in. A decision to be made eventually about a boat. And several others...it reminded me of a story I may have told before, so just speed past if this is repetitive. A year after my dad died, my then 58 year old mother had to sell a dining room set she loved and had not had for very long, in order to move to a smaller home. I was crushed for her to sell the set, but she said, "It's okay, honey, I've had that." Then she told me about Mary L. who made Barbie clothes, exquisite creations that she gave to the church to sell at the church bazaar. Mom asked her how she could bear to part with the lovely things, and Mary said "Oh, sometimes I can't, so I put them in a drawer for a year or so, and get them out and look at them from time to time. Then I can give them away because I have already had them." And then I thought about Cheri's method of getting things done. And I thought maybe I could start downsizing without hyperventilating LOL!!! It must be done, I must get on with it.

Love to you all as you go about your lives today,

Karen in VIrginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    <3 Thank you all for having breakfast with me. Now I'll meditate and then take Brandy for her walk with friends, then take Sasha, and then get ready to teach my line dance class.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning again~
    I am showered ,dressed and ready for work, cant find out of Tal is coming or not
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Quiet here. I agree it is nice to have some down time.

I went out with some friends I used to work with outdoor sitting. We had a terrific day for it.

:heart: Margaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather I'm glad some one else is surprised at what they are able to do now. I make little hatch marks on a piece of paper tp keep track of my sets. Hey, at least we are doing them even if we need help remembering what set we are on. :)

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Carroll ~ I agree about eating real food. Shakes never keep me going. I have to have something to chew on! LOL

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Up early. I have my small quilting group of ladies decending on my place shortly. We are holding a binding bee for our dear friend and member who's husband recently passed away. She had extended an invitiation to her Scottish clan chief, who is a woman, to stay at her house in Estes Park during the Highland festival. The lady will be here in 5 days and our friend's quilt for her guest bed is not done yet. Close, but not done. This is one more thing that brings her to tears as she has made a very personal quilt with lots of hand applique and embroidry, so much work!

So we will meet today to finish her guest quilt for her. I was up past midnight (very late for me) getting the work done that was needed on the quilt so we could all work on it this morning. We quilters are a small community but are the best darn friends to be around. I'll try and take a photo of her quilt when we are done.

Charleen in Colorado Off to find more coffee (with 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar!) m0767.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3x5x35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

I cannot believe how wiped out I am. Aside from the normal 30 second rest per interval of my swing I had to actually sit down four times during the 25 minute session. Switching back to LC HF is really kicking my butt! I am really hoping that it is not my Lymes disease and anaplasmosis sticking their ugly head back into my life. I had to reschedule my appointment for September 28 so I will not know until then what is going on.

Today is our sixth Anniversary! We have a fun filled day planned. I will be MIA most of the weekend.

CJ- thanks! It's nice to see you around! Life certainly does get busy doesn't it!

Barbie - I hope everything goes well for you at your line dancing today. Hopefully your hip will stop bothering you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Friday already!

Noticed the temperature didn't have an 8 in front of it yet so pulled on some shorts and a tank top and went for a walk on the path near our house. Took the Pokey doggy with and I think she is sorely worn out by her first outing in the TX weather. As a result I am already in for 2,900 steps before 930 am. Shocking I know! Little over a mile using MapMyWalk. Fans running on high but I'll cool down soon enough. Have 4-500 step phone calls from the daughter to add to that and perhaps the hubs and I will make it to the gym this evening.

Heading to Kroger later for their Freebie Friday deals: Angel Food Cake and Carmex lip balm.

Hoping y'all have a good weekend. Healing thoughts and prayers for all in need and high-five kudos for feeling accomplishments on this journey!

Cheri
    feeling a bit accomplished before 10 am in muggy TX
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    CJ: Sailing the boat is the whole point and pleasure. I need someone to help, but not someone to do it for me. Thanks for trying to figure out a way to make things work. We'll bumble through. I suggested selling and DH was adamantly opposed to the idea. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay!!! I had to miss Wednesday to accompany DH to his MS doctor appointment. I'll also do some kettlebell swings and weight machines this morning. I look forward to a riding lesson tomorrow if all goes as planned. My teacher will likely encourage me to buy a horse and I might even tell her why I don't want to do that at this point. I don't think I've explained things to her but she's seen DH and knows he has challenges. She doesn't know the latest, though. Neither do our kids.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – My DGD has a church that she accesses on her computer that is a church (maybe a non-denominational church) from down around St. Pete, FL that her aunt is a member of; and, she watches it as much as possible. There is a church near Griffin, GA that one of my HS former classmates is a member of and I’ve gone with her there and really like it. Another non-denominational church) also online. I have not seen the one that DOGD watches; but, I have the one my HS friend goes). I will start doing that. I doubt that there is any Catholic Church that is online; but, I sure that I could check it out.

Going through having my blood drawn every week, I was just ecstatic that I could even ‘try’ again to get pregnant. But, both times I was pregnant after that I was like a “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”. The OB that had diagnosed me was getting off call; when I went into labor. I had ‘really’ wanted him to stay and be the one to deliver him; but, the one that did – was nice enough; except he strapped my arms down, after telling me he wasn't going to; which is a huge “No No”. I finally got so upset that the nurse was not scratching my nose or other areas that would start itching that I cussed him out. He finally told me that he would unstrap my arm, so long as I did not touch myself where they had sterilized my stomach, in the even I needed to have a Caesarian. I told him it was a freaking nose that I was worried about.

When I was about 5 months along with my DYS, my DH’s company transferred us to Macon, GA. I did not want to go and told my DH that I would stay with my sister so I could go to my regular OB; but, he did not want me that far away. My OB had a classmate that practiced in Macon and he called him and make an appointment with him and send his all my records; before I left his office. That made me feel a lot better.

When I started going to him, I saw him every week for the next 2 months; then because there were total of 6 OB’s in the practice he said I needed to start my ‘rotation’ among them. So I saw a different OB every week. Then, I attended a Women’s Club supper and sat next to a friend’s husband. I knew he was an OB; but, never knew he was in the same practice. He asked me when I baby was due and I told him, on Friday. He laughed and said, “Baby, you’re not going to make it.” Sure enough I didn’t … I made it to Wednesday; and, he was the one who delivered him and was the only OB that I did not get to see. But, he was a 'love'. So much had changed from the time my first baby was born to when my DYS was born. They no longer shaved your pelvic area, now did the give you an enema; and they allowed your husbands to be in the room. When I went into labor with him, my MnL called around to the places he’d be ‘calling on’ and she was able to find him. He got there about 2 hours before DYS came into this world.

Since I was considered ‘high risk’ I stayed in the hospital 7 days with each. The private hospital, owned by the OB/GYNs that was on the 2nd floor of their building was really nice and the food was so good, it was difficult to believe it was ‘hospital’ food. Nursing moms got 3 meals a day; plus 3 snacks a day; and, if they wanted to they could keep the baby in the room as much as they wanted; and, back to the nursery if you did not want them to stay.

My neighborhood friends came up about 2 hours after he was born; and, were all quite ‘high’ and brought a bottle of chilled wine and some cheeses and a “Playgirl” magazine with the pages turned down with all the ‘pictures’ marked. LOL! That was something I really did not want to see; but, we laughed so much that the nurse came down to tell us to ‘keep it quieter’ twice. My OB made rounds that day while they were there and told me it was ‘ok’ to have a small cup of the wine. DYS held his head up and looked around and he is still the type who wants to watch what is going on. He even sat up and watched as they put in stitches in his leg up after falling at school and fell on a tin can top that was sitting in the grass so that the edge was sticking up. The nurse kept trying to hold him down and I finally told them that he could watch … he did not even flinch.

I’m sorry your DSnL had to go through the same thing I did. I even had to take 9 rounds of chemotherapy as pieces of the placenta had migrated to other organs. That took a lot out of me; but, I was able to ‘move on’ once I gave birth to my DOS.

One of the most difficult things that happened after I lost the first one; was that all that had babies soon around the time, always asked me ‘if I wanted to hold their babies’. NAHDA! I don’t even want to be in the same room with them.

My DDnL#2’s niece lost her baby when she was 7 months along; but, they had already discovered that she had a fatal condition that meant if she did not spontaneously abort; the baby had little, or no, chance to live when she was born. It was difficult for my DDnL#2 to offer her condolences when, she was trying to get pregnant at the same time.

Besides with Coumadin/Warfarin needing to have to be tested for; aren’t there some ‘food restrictions’ you have to follow … such as no to certain ‘green veggies’?

Cracker thinks that DH is ‘her human’, too; she’ll go to him and with her ‘inside’ voice she will vocalize to him especially when he has come home, taken his shower, and is sitting in his chair to give her food or let her out; or both. She is ‘funny’ about eating her food; her morning dish she will eat in little spurts all day; but, the night time cup, it will be ‘gone’ before she gets crated for the night. She does NOT like you to see or watch her eat.

I’m sorry that you have had that ‘hard to put one foot in front of the other’ feeling because of having to go off some of your meds.

Carey – North Alberta – The nice thing about ‘renting’ the machine over ‘buying’ it, is the fact that ‘if something happens to it’ they will fix or replace it; and, you would not have to buy a replacement. That means the first one still belongs to me, should I need it while the ‘new’ one would be ‘out of commission’ for any reason.

Mary from Minnesota – I guess I should take my kettlebell with me to LA; since I won’t have any other type of exercise to do except walking. And I need to take my walking shoes with me as well.

Re from TX – I love yogurt! There are some that I like better than others; favor wise and brand. I got some the other day that I did not particular like because the ‘fruit’ at them bottom was more like ‘jelly or jam’ … All I can remember is that the name brand started with a “C” and I won’t be bothered about any more of this. I like the Yoplait brand and each container is about the size of what I need to eat. I also enjoy the yogurt parfait that Publix puts out. I don’t know the caloric amount that is in either of them; but, it would not matter … I’d still eat them anyway.

Well, however you make up the sayings to ‘entice us’ to read your posts is great! It’s so much fun to see your posts and you sound like you would be a ‘barrel of monkeys’ like my DH’s aunts are/were.

I graduated from HS in 1969; and I think my hair cut was popular then, where I lived; and the long hair parted down the middle was also ‘in style’ … my hair is just too thin and fine to have worn it that way at any time.

Oh, yeah to COBRA your insurance is really expensive; but, I needed mine; because my DH still needed to be covered; but, it also pays what Medicare doesn’t; and, the MDs are 'supposed' to write-off what Medicare doesn't pay; unless you sign those papers that say you'll be responsible for paying the difference.

I also like ‘vintage’ jewelry; and, I got a lot of my Mother’s. I also got a beautiful ‘pin’ shaped with a ‘bow’ with a small diamond in the center of it … it can be worn as a pin, or put on a chain and worn as a necklace.

My DDnL#1 had the inside of her ear pierce because it is supposed to help with migraines. In the cartilage part. Makes me nauseous to even think about it; it had to hurt like a 'sum-o-beach'. It has been ‘irritated’ from the day she had it done. She went by where she had had it done and the girl told her it was ‘infected’ and that she needed to make a paste out of some Bayer aspirin to put on it. My DOS has not been particular happy with the fact that she did it in the first place.

Lawzy, Lawzy, … yesterday when she took me into town she just ‘had’ to give me the ‘blow by blow’ of the conversations or lack thereof; when she called some of her family members or texted them trying to find a way ‘home’ from the beach when their car broke down, near Marianna, FL; and all that transpired from them. She made the comment that one of them had called her on Monday and cussed her out for 2 hours about how she had been so mean and selfish as to interrupt their vacations with her ‘woes’. Telling her that all she's ever been, was naïve and divisive. I had to look out the window so she would not see me ‘rolling my eyes’; because this is exactly what she is. I would not have listened to some kinfolk who spent the time, railing and cussing me out. I would have hung up on her; and, if she called back I would not pick up the phone. Oh, she had to 'tell them that she thought that 'family' would understand and do what they could to help them; she the told them to "GO to "Kitten." Then she wonders way they get and stay mad at her. She does the on FB as well. She's been told (and DOS) not to 'ever' post anything about us on FB - ever. She did so and posted the pictures of my car being rolled and asking for 'prayers for her MnL'. I thought that she should not have done that; because my sisters had not been notified first. All they could 'think' was ... she's 'hurt' bad and the car looked awful after rolling.

Rori in the Colorado Foothills – One of my DH’s aunts and uncle were stationed in Honolulu; and they loved it. I think their son is still there. Little Grannie went over there to stay for the summers. Other than the 'high cost of living' I would not mind going or living there.

Michele in NC – Kids … wonder how they grow up to be adults, especial good, honest, caring ones with children of their own. Of course, like a lot of Moms with children that ‘drove them wild’ something we say to them … ‘one day you will have a child … JUST LIKE YOU’! My Mother used to call it “The Mother’s Curse.”

DH has started going with me every 3 months when I go have lunch with friends when I have to go to one of my MDs who is out-of-town, only because some bring their husbands. Actually, he won't let me drive on the Interstate (even if I could drive). This last time most all had conflicts so we did not have it; but, DH and I went anyway; and had lunch. Then one classmate showed up who had not been able to come for about a year-and-a-half; because he fell off his 2-story roof cleaning the gutters. He is so interesting especially discussing his “Tylight” which he developed and has a patent on it. You can look him up on “Tylight” or “Ty Butler’s Tylight”. The pictures are very good; he also writes poems, too. He is still a bit ‘strange’ but dealing with people like he has, he has become a ‘talker’; which he wasn’t in HS.

GloworminWA – Thanks for the recipe. Sounds good!

CJ – That experience (or the thought of it) has made me remember to carry a large bag; which my pocketbook will fit down into and keep my medications with me in the pill container. IF I lost my medications I would be far more than ‘just inconvenienced’ … I would probably have to re-order all of them; and the insurance would not pay – I’d be out about $3,000 to cover all of them.

Sunflowers are my DGD#4’s favorite flower; she asked if I would paint some for her; but, to make them ‘pink’ … they looked more like ‘zinnias’ so I put a few yellow ones in the picture; which helped. This will be her birthday present … just an early one.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK

Hi all another lovely day in UK, forecast says won't last, typical hope you are having a good day
    Thinking of you if you have problems
    DD and family finally in new house.
    Waiting to see Dr next week for result of DEXA scan, hope I haven't got Osteoporosis as my dear Mom passed away at age 62 from complications of Osteoporosis Treatment at that time was not as advanced as now.
    Saw physiotherapist who has given me some exercises to do but he said I have one leg slightly shorter than the other which could be causing back pain! When did that happen? ????
    Still working out, fortunately exercising does not cause back pain
    ❤️❤️❤️
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Mary,you look fantastic!