Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It's people like you saying that certain foods or ingredients are flat-out bad when they're not. The message you are spreading here is literally responsible for so many failed attempts to lose weight it's ridiculous.

Whoa now pirate boy. I don't do the clean eating at all. I'm just posting example pictures.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    From an interview with Alan Agaron

Isn't he the king of Gondor?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. I have no problem with people who want to eat this way, but to come on the site and tell people that they need to eat this way is just bad.

Maybe would could just change the word clean to healthier, or nutritious, or natural, or ???

The wording doesn't matter. Any message that demonizes certain foods as bad or incompatible with their fitness and health goals is a bad message that sets people up for failure.

But....certain foods ARE incompatible with my personal fitness and health goals. Why can't I state that?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. I have no problem with people who want to eat this way, but to come on the site and tell people that they need to eat this way is just bad.

Maybe would could just change the word clean to healthier, or nutritious, or natural, or ???

The wording doesn't matter. Any message that demonizes certain foods as bad or incompatible with their fitness and health goals is a bad message that sets people up for failure.

But....certain foods ARE incompatible with my personal fitness and health goals. Why can't I state that?

Because your're demonizing and setting others up for their continual failures.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    e.JPG
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone to NEVER eat fast food, but I would advice against not eating it everyday because its not the most nutrients dense food and I think aside from obtaining your macro's, its also important to get nutrients and vitamins through your food. {...}
    This is what drives me nuts about the IIFYM crowd, not all but some, have a hard time admitting that some foods are more nutrient dense than others. Just because you can eat glue and call it food by your definition or some Pink Slime Patty, doesn't mean its exactly the best choice. No one expects perfection or for you to eat perfect 100% of the time, but why argue with someone because they prefer to eat fruits, veggies, and foods closer to their natural state? Just because they call it "clean"? Its just a term.
    Some foods are more nutrient-dense than others.

I don't have a problem saying that. It's true. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say it wasn't.

We recommend eating nutrient-dense foods. When I give recommendations, I specifically recommend people get several servings of veggies and fruits every day.

No problem there.
    {...}

Where we differ is that I think it's totally fine to fill the rest of your calories with any food you like that gets you to your daily nutritional goals. Those goals can, and should, include things like fiber, protein, fat, and vitamin and mineral goals.

Also, no one has any problem with people that prefer to eat foods "closer to their natural state."

Halleluja!

The Venn diagram of the perpetual Clean/IIFYM "debate" has an ephemeral glimpse of consensus and overlap. Not that it'll stop the pie fight...

We've been saying that since the very beginning.

The entire idea of IIFYM is to eat foods you like! If you like "clean" foods, then fine! If you like to eat local, then fine! No one cares! EAT WHAT YOU LIKE TO EAT! The problem is when people come in and say DON'T EAT THESE FOODS YOU LIKE BECAUSE THEY'LL KILL YOU.

That's what so many "clean eaters" do. They come in and tell you that you can't eat foods you like. We, however, say you CAN eat foods you like.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

No I'm not. I'm just stating what is best for myself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, there aren't, unless you have some sort of medical condition.

Besides, EAT WHAT YOU LIKE TO EAT.

The problem is if you try to tell other people that they can't eat what THEY like to eat.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

The problem is if you try to tell other people that they can't eat what THEY like to eat.

I don't give a **** what others eat. I just don't like being told I'm wrong about what I, personally, find what works for me.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    clean-eating-meme.png
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Since the word "Crap" was brought up.

271904896222430716Z8AGXq6Mc.jpg

And ^this is the kind of "crap" that starts arguments in here...lol. I have to shake my head when someone says, "I don't care what people eat and I think they should do what works for them. If eating garbage/crap is what works, go for it..."

it amazes me that they can't see how condescending that is and then feel "attacked" when people voice their disagreement and displeasure.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Food pyramids change names but all kinda look the same really.

food-pyramid-500.jpg

OW_MedPyramid_1000x1294.jpg

5942815_f520.jpg

u-of-m-food-pyramid1.jpg

Kind of ironic, the name changes.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Aaaaannnnd those images sucked. lol.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    biomagnification.gif

Thank God this wasn't a food pyramid like I thought. I woulnd't want to progress to eating people....no matter how clean.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I almost missed part 1.

In...

...to catch up later...

...on all 18 pages.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0obkyzlws1r81219o1_400.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Food pyramids change names but all kinda look the same really.

food-pyramid-500.jpg

OW_MedPyramid_1000x1294.jpg

5942815_f520.jpg

u-of-m-food-pyramid1.jpg

Kind of ironic, the name changes.

45117_445593872169115_478752600_n.png
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

How is that him demonizing and setting others up for failure when he is just stating what works for him. He is entitled to his opinion just as you are. I don't see anyone claiming that you are responsible for the failure of others based on your view points, its a 2 way street.

Just because someone says they don't want to eat a certain type of food does not mean they are demonizing it, that word is also another that is thrown own way to often on this thread. By the same token I could say you are demonizing foods that are organic or fruits and vegetables. But thats just silly so I would never say that.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Why are you telling this member that his view points and food choices are wrong? Isn't that what you are preaching about? Pot is calling the kettle black loud and clear here. He simply said "certain food choices are incompatible with my personal fitness and health goals." and you response was "no there aren't". Who are you to tell another person what they should be eating? Do you want people telling you not to eat fast food? Then I don't think you should be telling another person what does and does not work for them. Its total hypocrisy. Just because someone doesn't follow your guidelines does not mean they are wrong for following whatever system works best for them.