• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    "Because it eats whole grains and craps toxins. "

epic!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Umm ... People can eat whatever they want .. If it's working for them and they feel good, that's all that matters ...

But can we agree that humans really didn't evolve to eat chemicals like red dye no. 40, yellow no. 5, aspetame, sucralose, hydrogynated oils, etc.

I mean there has to be a happy medium between a healthy ,whole food based, omnivorous diet and a overly-strict-afraid-of-toxins-organic-only ortherexic one, right?

EDIT: I myself like wine, I think that's a natural product, but others think it's bad ... The whole thing is so subjective ...
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Umm ... People can eat whatever they want .. If it's working for them and they feel good, that's all that matters ...

But can we agree that humans really didn't evolve to eat chemicals like red dye no. 40, yellow no. 5, aspetame, sucralose, hydrogynated oils, etc.

I mean there has to be a happy medium between a healthy ,whole food based, omnivorous diet and a overly-strict-afraid-of-toxins-organic-only ortherexic one, right?

EDIT: I myself like wine, I think that's a natural product, but others think it's bad ... The whole thing is so subjective ...
    We didn't evolve to eat cow's milk either but lots of people drink that and enjoy good health :P Not to say "omg red 40 is super healthy for you"... but the natural argument doesn't hold much water. Really, we should base our understanding of healthy vs. non-health-promoting foods on scientific research, not on what our evolution was possibly directed towards.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say what I consider 'clean' after reading some of these threads LOL
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Again, WHO. CARES?
    What is working for you is working for you. YAY!
    Moving on...
    These threads are like promising myself I won't slow down to look at the car accident. I always do.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Again, WHO. CARES?
    What is working for you is working for you. YAY!
    Moving on...
    These threads are like promising myself I won't slow down to look at the car accident. I always do.

we all do, don't beat yourself up :P
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

We didn't evolve to eat cow's milk either but lots of people drink that and enjoy good health :P Not to say "omg red 40 is super healthy for you"... but the natural argument doesn't hold much water. Really, we should base our understanding of healthy vs. non-health-promoting foods on scientific research, not on what our evolution was possibly directed towards.

That was a very astute and eloquent observation and analysis. I agree.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Kinda sorta we did, and still are. Cows and humans (Like dogs and humans) have enjoyed about 10,000 years of co-evolution.

We now have an enzyme that can digest cow milk, thank to this (Well, most people).

And, quite possibly, given enough time, our bodies will find a way to use Red 40, or use saccharine for caloric needs.

But, all in all, I agree with what you said: Research to figure out what is healthy, not evolutionary adaptation, which change all the time (Based on natural selection).