Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    macros have nothing to do with weight loss, sorry bro. BROSCIENCE.COM get over yourself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    macros have nothing to do with weight loss, sorry bro. BROSCIENCE.COM get over yourself.

Well, calories are for weight loss. Macros are for body composition and satiety. Satiety can have a definite impact on weight loss, since you're less hungry and can eat less calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You caught me! Well I think we all started going on our own tangents many pages ago. That and I was honestly very curious about the IIFYM Philosophy because part of the reason it is hard to grasp is because there are some advocate of IIFYM that do not actually practice what they preach. However with the clarifications mentioned above I think it can be a great philosophy if its actually followed correctly and not used as an excuse to overindulge when your nutritional needs have not been met.

The best explanation I've ever heard is that IIFYM is higher on the "diet" chain than the food philosophy you may subscribe to. You find the protein target that you need for muscle growth/retention depending on your goals. You find the fat target that you need for hormone function. Carbs fall where they may and within your personal preference.

Want to eat "clean"? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon may be clean but isn't going to help you meet protein and fat goals.

Want to eat vegetarian? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon is vegetarian, but again, wouldn't be balanced.

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

It's not an excuse to eat junk food. It's protein and fat targets for optimal health and fitness. How that need is met is up to each person. It is a balanced eating philosophy intended to give the body the macronutrients needed for the individual's goals.

Does it also take into account a well balance of getting enough Vitamins, or Fiber for example or does it only stress Carbs, Fat, and Protein? I don't think anyone is going on a watermelon only diet, but it does make a yummy snack with lots of vitamins. I think from other responses they are equally important but I'd love more opinions from the IIFYMers because this is my main question of the philosophy. Technically I can get enough fat, carbs, and protein from eating say Taco Bell all day, but its not going to be a very nutrients dense diet. If I focused on getting all my nutrients from a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, fish, lean meats, whole grans, legumes, and then had room for some icecream thats a different story. Maybe I would like it better if it was IIFYMN..If It Fits your Macros & Nutrients

I only care about Fat,Protein, Carb and calorie goal

I've found that without stressing about the micros...I'm meeting them just fine.

This is true. I don't stress it but I do check in once every few days just to make sure my eating is generally balanced.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    OMG TLDR ROLLLLLLLLLL
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.

Cottage cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Juices
    Protein Powder
    Milk
    Almond Milk
    Bread
    Deli Meat

All processed...all considered "clean".
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This guy starts a profile on here July 2013 and thinks he knows everything. Eating clean is about not eating processed foods and staying away from junk food. If you do not like the topic then do not comment on it. I however like to eat as clean as possible, but I do eat some processed foods.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I focused on getting all my nutrients from a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, fish, lean meats, whole grans, legumes, and then had room for some icecream thats a different story.

Congratulations! :drinker: That's what IIFYM is basically about.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What IIFYM is not: "Gee, I guess I can eat nothing but burgers and pie, because IIFYM, right?"

What IIFYM is: "I had burgers and pie for dinner tonight. They were delicious, I met all of my nutritional goals for the day, and I regret nothing."

Many IIFYM followers (myself included) frequently eat foods that some people refer to as "clean," such as lean meats, nuts, beans, fruits, vegetables, etc. However, we can also eat steak and cookies. It's awesome.

ETA: I like to think of it as "eating responsibly," a la "drinking responsibly." There's a big difference between enjoying a few drinks and blacking out in the bathroom. Likewise, there's a big difference between including some ice cream in your diet and existing on a diet of nothing but ice cream.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You caught me! Well I think we all started going on our own tangents many pages ago. That and I was honestly very curious about the IIFYM Philosophy because part of the reason it is hard to grasp is because there are some advocate of IIFYM that do not actually practice what they preach. However with the clarifications mentioned above I think it can be a great philosophy if its actually followed correctly and not used as an excuse to overindulge when your nutritional needs have not been met.

The best explanation I've ever heard is that IIFYM is higher on the "diet" chain than the food philosophy you may subscribe to. You find the protein target that you need for muscle growth/retention depending on your goals. You find the fat target that you need for hormone function. Carbs fall where they may and within your personal preference.

Want to eat "clean"? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon may be clean but isn't going to help you meet protein and fat goals.

Want to eat vegetarian? Great. But IIFYM. 2000 calories of watermelon is vegetarian, but again, wouldn't be balanced.

Vegan? IIFYM

Paleo? IIFYM

It's not an excuse to eat junk food. It's protein and fat targets for optimal health and fitness. How that need is met is up to each person. It is a balanced eating philosophy intended to give the body the macronutrients needed for the individual's goals.

Does it also take into account a well balance of getting enough Vitamins, or Fiber for example or does it only stress Carbs, Fat, and Protein? I don't think anyone is going on a watermelon only diet, but it does make a yummy snack with lots of vitamins. I think from other responses they are equally important but I'd love more opinions from the IIFYMers because this is my main question of the philosophy. Technically I can get enough fat, carbs, and protein from eating say Taco Bell all day, but its not going to be a very nutrients dense diet. If I focused on getting all my nutrients from a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, fish, lean meats, whole grans, legumes, and then had room for some icecream thats a different story. Maybe I would like it better if it was IIFYMN..If It Fits your Macros & Nutrients

Different followers view that different ways. Personally I also stress fiber. I try to get a balance of micros over the week rather than trying to hit them all in one day.

This as well as Joy's point.

I actively track my iron, because I'm anemic. I used to take iron pills to meet my goals but at this point I'm almost always above my goal without factoring in my multi. Looking after my macros makes that happens just by default, but I still make sure I watch just in case it doesn't.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Macro-nutrients are what your foods ARE COMPOSED OF. Calories are the man made measure of energy content. Calories are not real they are a measurement, a carbohydrate, protein, or fat is real.

Dededee
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Has someone posted that dead horse gif yet?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

No, I don't think anyone would live off watermelon, just making a point of why macronutrients should be paid attention to regardless of eating path.

Macronutrients by definition are just the big 3: protein, fats, carbs. I personally track fiber because that's something important *to me*. I try to eat what I define as healthy *for me* and that includes vegetables, fruits, fish, meat, whole grains, lentils, beans and dairy (I don't have intolerance to grain or dairy). I did have ice cream today, but that's the beauty of IIFYM. My macro minimums were met, I've had 25g of fiber primarily from raw vegetables and fruit and I had calories left over, so I'll have ice cream. Last Thursday I had a Jumbo Jack.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.

Cottage cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Juices
    Protein Powder
    Milk
    Almond Milk
    Bread
    Deli Meat

All processed...all considered "clean".

I don't think most consider this "clean" Protein Powder is not typically considered a clean food. Cottage cheese is pasteurized, but thats not the same as processed. Juicing could be considered "clean" if you actually own a juicer and did the juicing. Almond Milk probably you are correct as it does have more additives than say organic milk. Bread is processed and enriched which is not considered clean". Some people who are really strict about their diets make their own breads. Deli Meat well it really depends, I don't think "clean" eaters consider deli meat clean. I think they would make a rotisserie chicken and use that meat.

I think though their philosophy is minimally processed and foods as close to their natural state as possible.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    please please someone:

0511-0702-0211-2545_Businessman_Waving_a_White_Flag_Behind_His_Desk_clipart_image.jpg
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

No, I don't think anyone would live off watermelon, just making a point of why macronutrients should be paid attention to regardless of eating path.

Macronutrients by definition are just the big 3: protein, fats, carbs. I personally track fiber because that's something important *to me*. I try to eat what I define as healthy *for me* and that includes vegetables, fruits, fish, meat, whole grains, lentils, beans and dairy (I don't have intolerance to grain or dairy). I did have ice cream today, but that's the beauty of IIFYM. My macro minimums were met, I've had 25g of fiber primarily from raw vegetables and fruit and I had calories left over, so I'll have ice cream. Last Thursday I had a Jumbo Jack.

I would say aside from maybe a very select fews diet choices(ok maybe one persons), I completely agree with IIFYM and think its a great philosophy when it is properly applied. I do also think meeting your nutritional needs are equally as important and should also be stressed which I see most actually do. I actually think the end of this thread has turned out to be quite civil and has shown a nice common ground.
  • Fitliz219
    Fitliz219 Posts: 2
    Options
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but eating CRAP is not going to make your insides healthy, no matter how well you stay in your macros... perhaps you need to do some more research?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What the heck in for the roll to continue beating the dead horse!!! :drinker:
  • CookNLift
    Options
    this thread is what results from people graduating college and subconsciously missing writing term papers.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but eating CRAP is not going to make your insides healthy, no matter how well you stay in your macros... perhaps you need to do some more research?

How does one quantify healthy insides?
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Beating_908a5b_228250.jpg