Diet sodas, Just a thought

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    tamekahend wrote: »
    Before starting Mfp I never saw the point in drinking diet sodas, especially if I was eating "bad" anyways. I never liked the taste of diet sodas, thought they were gross..But after drinking water so much, I sometimes want something else. I don't like wasting my calories on drinks so I tried a Diet Dr. Pepper and I am now a fan! I like Pepsi Max too, when it's really cold. But I only drink one at work. Sorry for the ramble lol..hope everyone's having a Happy Friday!!!!

I love diet Dr. Pepper and Zevia cream soda. Unfortunately, I can't drink either, or any carbonated drinks, because they exacerbate a medical condition I have and I feel miserable....so have a few for me, please!
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Drink Sparkling flavored water, add some fruit, its good. Add some almond milk to make it thicker like an Italian soda!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Can I just say ewwww to diet fizzy drinks (in fact all diet drinks including tea with artificial sweetener). I've tried so hard to get used to the taste, but after the first few mouthfuls all I get is the nasty after taste. Mind I have always been very fussy about what I'll drink, no squash (yuck), don't like orange flavour, get a funny aftertaste with Pepsi, don't like lilt/7-up/Dr Pepper/most Tango. I do sort of like Apple Tango, but prefer Appletise, I like, in fact I LOVE "full fat" Coke (yes I'm British and we have our funny terminology) and while pregnant it was literally the only thing I kept down and I was drinking 2l+ a day. I'll drink a good quality, old fashioned lemonade or dandelion or burdock, but I just can't get my head round the aftertaste with diet Coke. And believe me I've tried, the 170 Calories I'd save really would make it worthwhile, but in the end I always return to plain old bottled water (don't get me started on flavoured water, that's just seriously weak squash that tastes even worse than squash)
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to condemn diet soda drinkers over regular soda drinkers over water drinkers over people who prefer aloe sap diluted with drops of morning dew. However, I do have clinical depression and hypothyroid, and I saw an article which found a correlation (not necessarily causation) between consuming a lot of aspartame and problems with depression/cognitive issues. I took it with a grain of salt, but was having major 'brain zaps' and was willing to try anything, so I cut diet sodas out of my daily diet (save for a diet root beer maybe once a month), and it seems to have helped. Until I see a study that proves a definitive causative link, I'm not willing to say that aspartame was contributing to my problems, but it certainly hasn't hurt, and I don't miss it.
  • tamekahend
    tamekahend Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you like Diet Dr. Pepper, try Dr. Pepper 10 and thank me later :)
    Hahaha! Will do!
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love Coke Zero, and diet cranberry ginger ale. Otherwise, it's either water or water with a splash of Mio. Oh, and black coffee.... I'll never give that up.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Wolfena wrote: »
    st476 wrote: »
    I like Sprite Zero and Diet Root Beer :smile:

Diet A&W is awesome!!!

I've even used it with low-fat ice cream to make a float

This. And definitely diet coke over diet pepsi :-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Wal-Mart's Diet Dr. Thunder. Very much like Diet Dr. Pepper, but a) cheaper and b) not quite as sweet.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Hey, I just heard it on the news one day, but didn't really pay that much attention because I don't eat or drink anything that has the words "diet", "low fat", or "low %" on the container or package. All those things mean is additional processing and/or chemicals added, and then 10 years later someone finds out that people shouldn't have been eating/drinking those things... oops.

In my opinion, if you have to be that critical with your calories, you are either eating/drinking too much junk, or not exercising enough, or both.

Please tell me more about how I'm doing it wrong . . .
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just heard it on the news one day, but didn't really pay that much attention because I don't eat or drink anything that has the words "diet", "low fat", or "low %" on the container or package. All those things mean is additional processing and/or chemicals added, and then 10 years later someone finds out that people shouldn't have been eating/drinking those things... oops.

In my opinion, if you have to be that critical with your calories, you are either eating/drinking too much junk, or not exercising enough, or both.

No, diet or low fat does not mean "more processing or additional chemicals added".

Technically, it does, BUT the reason for concern should rather be that customers are tricked into paying more (either because each item costs more, or because we buy larger amounts, or both) for nutritionally poorer and less flavorful items.

Theoretically it might. Technically, it does not.

Can you explain? I would imagine that removing something from a food takes more processing than not removing, and that what you'd replace naturally occuring parts of foods with, would be called, eh, "chemicals". I'm not concerned about chemimals, but I prefer to keep the naturally occurring ones, unless they are poisonous.

"Naturally occurring parts" of Pepsi? You don't get Pepsi by squeezing a cola nut and stopping there. All those things you're "removing" from Pepsi to make Diet Pepsi have to be added to the water to make Pepsi in the first place. They don't start with Pepsi and start removing things to make Diet Pepsi. They start from scratch. Things that are in the Pepsi recipe that aren't in the Diet Pepsi recipe don't get added in the first place when they make Diet Pepsi, so there's nothing to "remove."

Now, you might have an argument if you were talking about caffeine free colas versus caffeinated colas.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bruja924 wrote: »
    I have been addicted to diet soda for sometime now. I love it, it's like crack for me really. LOL. I'm having a hard time giving it up, it has started to break out my skin with acne really bad. If I stop drinking soda for a few weeks my face clears up. But just one can will break my face out overnight! :(

Yes! Sodas have the same effect on my skin. Before I started "dieting" i was addicted to Mt Dew... Loved it! And drank it all day. My skin was a constant flush look and would break out. I thought it was a weird getting older thing, stress, and working in a restaurant. But when I decided to cut out sodas, it was only a matter of days until I started to see a noticeable improvement in my skin. Skin cleared up and the redness went away. I will drink some Diet Pepsi with my meals but I usually never drink more than about 16 oz a day(one bottle). But I just love soda(diet soda now) when I eat!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

No, diet or low fat does not mean "more processing or additional chemicals added".

Technically, it does, BUT the reason for concern should rather be that customers are tricked into paying more (either because each item costs more, or because we buy larger amounts, or both) for nutritionally poorer and less flavorful items.

Theoretically it might. Technically, it does not.

Can you explain? I would imagine that removing something from a food takes more processing than not removing, and that what you'd replace naturally occuring parts of foods with, would be called, eh, "chemicals". I'm not concerned about chemimals, but I prefer to keep the naturally occurring ones, unless they are poisonous.

"Naturally occurring parts" of Pepsi? You don't get Pepsi by squeezing a cola nut and stopping there. All those things you're "removing" from Pepsi to make Diet Pepsi have to be added to the water to make Pepsi in the first place. They don't start with Pepsi and start removing things to make Diet Pepsi. They start from scratch. Things that are in the Pepsi recipe that aren't in the Diet Pepsi recipe don't get added in the first place when they make Diet Pepsi, so there's nothing to "remove."

Now, you might have an argument if you were talking about caffeine free colas versus caffeinated colas.

Lol, I get it now :D Thank you :smiley:
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    I switched to Pepsi max from full fat cola about a year ago. After a few weeks, my OH and I were out for a meal and said 'ooh shall we have full fat cola as a treat?' We both couldn't drink it because it was sooo sweet. Other than water or tea, I don't drink anything else now. Pepsi max rules!!! :D

Ummmm there is no fat in pop.

Haha you know what I mean! Is it just a uk thing to call cola that isn't diet 'fat coke'? Or maybe just a me thing?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    I switched to Pepsi max from full fat cola about a year ago. After a few weeks, my OH and I were out for a meal and said 'ooh shall we have full fat cola as a treat?' We both couldn't drink it because it was sooo sweet. Other than water or tea, I don't drink anything else now. Pepsi max rules!!! :D

Ummmm there is no fat in pop.

Haha you know what I mean! Is it just a uk thing to call cola that isn't diet 'fat coke'? Or maybe just a me thing?

AFAIK, it's just a U.K. thing. I get why - "diet" products are typically fat-free, therefore "non-diet" cola must be "full fat".
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sodas (diet coke) if I go to the pub for drinks. As pre- calorie counting I would usually have 4 or 5 pints but that ends up being 1000-1250 calories just for that! No wonder I gained so much weight. Whereas with diet sodas I can have 4 whiskey measures with diet coke for 280 calories, so miles less!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Love diet sodas but I've been having some stomach issues recently and doctor told me to give them up for a bit and see if it helps :( I miss my diet soda so much.
  • amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've always heard diet is worse than regular. Try to avoid ALL soda if you can. Gave it up 15 years ago or so and only occasionally do I have a root beer, but other than that I don't drink it at all :)
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have always preferred diet drinks over the full fat ones. The sugar in the normal stuff makes my mouth and throat feel sticky.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I snort laughed at "squeezing a cola nut".