All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eating like a horse= 3,000 calories. I've done it, many, many times.

It's not a big deal. Anybody can do it. But everyday? I don't think so. Not even close.

I can do it every day and will do it everyday when I maintain. And I have done it in the past. First thing I add when I increase calories is add more fat to my diet (nuts, avocado, full fat yogurt, granola, etc...).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @ndj1979

I was looking for studies that show how much people err in estimating caloric intake and the numbers are all over the place. Could you direct me to the source of your information that people's estimates are off by 30-50%? Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know just how accurate MFP loggers are...I use a food scale, and after reading on these forums how inaccurate the weight of packaged foods can be, I weigh & measure those, too. It's illuminating to weigh pre-packaged foods.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36988065
    The Behavioural Insights Team points to scientific and economic data showing people eat 3,000 calories, compared to the 2,000 cited in official surveys.

http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-07-12-Counting-Calories-Final.pdf

3,000 calories? Do you know how much that it is? Sorry, but unless your have a big meal with drinks at a restaurant, drinking a six-pack of Coke, or eating entire giant bags of chips, you are not eating 3,000 calories. And if we were, just about every woman and most men would be obese.

Sorry, but not as hard as you may think for people that eat out.

Cheesecake Factory The Bistro Shrimp Pasta - 3,120 calories
    Cheesecake Factory Bruleed French Toast - 2780 calories
    Cheesecake Factory - Farfalle With Chicken and Roasted Garlic - 2410 calories
    Sonic: Large Peanut Butter Caramel Pie Malt (just one milkshake) - 2170 calories
    Maggiano's Little Italy Veal Porterhouse - 2,710 calories
    Johnny Rockets Bacon & Cheddar Double Cheeseburger (just the burger) - 1,770 calories.

I could go on.

Cheesecake Factory is at most a once a month occasion. And anyone with half a brain would eat half and take the other half home, because the portions are so large. They also have lots of better options.

Imagine eating the entire Bistro Shrimp Pasta with a couple of beers, and having a piece of strawberry cheesecake for desert. Gut buster!

You said nothing about times a month/occasions or/and brain requirements. All you said was (you are not eating 3,000 calories) it was hard to do. I pointed out that it wasn't and gave just a few of dozens and dozens available examples of why it's not hard to do. My roommate has cooked in the kitchen about 3 times in the last year. It shows.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for OP.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    I feel so bad for OP.

I know!

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Appears the OP may have deleted his/her account.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979

I was looking for studies that show how much people err in estimating caloric intake and the numbers are all over the place. Could you direct me to the source of your information that people's estimates are off by 30-50%? Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know just how accurate MFP loggers are...I use a food scale, and after reading on these forums how inaccurate the weight of packaged foods can be, I weigh & measure those, too. It's illuminating to weigh pre-packaged foods.
    The Behavioural Insights Team points to scientific and economic data showing people eat 3,000 calories, compared to the 2,000 cited in official surveys.

http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-07-12-Counting-Calories-Final.pdf

3,000 calories? Do you know how much that it is? Sorry, but unless your have a big meal with drinks at a restaurant, drinking a six-pack of Coke, or eating entire giant bags of chips, you are not eating 3,000 calories. And if we were, just about every woman and most men would be obese.

Sorry, but not as hard as you may think for people that eat out.

Cheesecake Factory The Bistro Shrimp Pasta - 3,120 calories
    Cheesecake Factory Bruleed French Toast - 2780 calories
    Cheesecake Factory - Farfalle With Chicken and Roasted Garlic - 2410 calories
    Sonic: Large Peanut Butter Caramel Pie Malt (just one milkshake) - 2170 calories
    Maggiano's Little Italy Veal Porterhouse - 2,710 calories
    Johnny Rockets Bacon & Cheddar Double Cheeseburger (just the burger) - 1,770 calories.

I could go on.

Jeebers, remind me not to eat there if they ever open one here! Every one of those sounds like heaven on a plate. I could see myself ordering an entrée, main and dessert :open_mouth:

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eating like a horse= 3,000 calories. I've done it, many, many times.

It's not a big deal. Anybody can do it. But everyday? I don't think so. Not even close.

I can do it every day and will do it everyday when I maintain. And I have done it in the past. First thing I add when I increase calories is add more fat to my diet (nuts, avocado, full fat yogurt, granola, etc...).

When he was working an active job, my 6'2" 155 pound husband required around 4,000 to maintain his weight (we used him as a test subject in my nutrition class). That's a lot of food. When he was single he used to get the family entree sized frozen dinners and eat them - I called them "Glutton Man" dinners.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

3000 calories a day, every day? Not even a challenge. I'm losing, on average, a pound a week on around 2300/day, and I eyeball a lot of things and rarely use a food scale so it's probably a bit more than that. I can (and have in the past) easily thrown down 3000+ a day, effortlessly and repeatedly. In fact, when I transition to maintenance/recomp, that's exactly what I'll be doing - somewhere in the range of 3000-3200/day.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I could easily hit 3000 calories eating at places like cheesecake factory. But getting that much at home day in day out, i reckon I'd struggle. My blowout cheat days rarely hit 2500 calories. I'm a total lightweight failure :tongue:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    When I was in treatment for anorexia I was on a 3600 calorie a day meal plan... And I only gained about 0.4-0.6 kg a week surprisingly
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of quite a few calorie dense foods like cheese (smoked gruyère *drool*), sour cream, pasta, cashews, etc... I'd have no problem eating 3000 calories on a regular daily basis. Not to mention the 10+ gallons of homebrewed wine and mead in my closet from before I started the diet. Not going through it anywhere near the pre-diet speed so haven't started any new batches recently. LOL
  • Christine_72
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I could easily hit 3000 calories eating at places like cheesecake factory. But getting that much at home day in day out, i reckon I'd struggle. My blowout cheat days rarely hit 2500 calories. I'm a total lightweight failure :tongue:

Adding one pint of Haagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream (1360 calories) to my current deficit intake would put me at 3660. I don't think many people would consider a pint of ice cream per day as an undue hardship.

Alternately, I could cook my morning eggs in a couple tablespoons of olive oil (+240 calories), have 2 ounces of almonds for a mid-morning snack (+320 calories), slice up half an avocado and add it to my salad for dinner (+130 calories). Add those to my normal daily intake and boom, I'm at 3000 calories and would barely notice any difference in terms of satiety.

True, true :smile: I'd have no problem eating a pint of ice cream, and yes it would be easy adding lashings of oil to things without noticing it much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @ndj1979

Lol, I could eat that drinking diet soda (which I do now anyway). You could eat 3 foot longs with no chips and no mayo and hit 3000 calories in a day.
    Don't hate because you can't do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png