All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

This is an interesting study which I think highlights the difference in analysis on both sides. From your side, you use this as proof that excess food, for some people, is converted into them using more energy without them even thinking about it, therefore those people must be naturally thinner.

However, those who don't believe naturally thin people exist see this study as proof of their side - because all the extra energy expenditure was through extra activity, no matter how subconscious. The BMR remained similar enough to not account for the phenomenon ("BMR increased by an average of 5% in response to overfeeding (Table 2), accounting for 8% of the excess ingested energy."). The difference in calories burned was entirely in extra activity on top of BMR, although the activity wasn't intentional activity.

It's really the difference between an observation and scientific rigor. The observation says "that person is thin and doesn't seem to be doing much more than me/doesn't actively try to lose weight, that means they're naturally thin". The science says "that person is thin because they fidget more than others to burn off the calories they're consuming - naturally thin doesn't exist, they're just moving more in unnoticeable ways." You two are working from different definitions of "naturally thin".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Big muscular guys don't burn more calories per hour sitting on their couches than sarcopenic little old ladies sitting on their couches. And since we don't have any big muscular guys or sarcopenic little old ladies on this site it really doesn't matter anyway.

Right?

(Big sigh)

I think the argument here is about whether one big muscular guy doing the same activity as another guy of same age, weight, muscles, etc. will burn significantly more.

Or same with the little old ladies.

No one is claiming that the big guy and the little old lady burn the same.

With Deb's brother, it's hardly unusual for a teen in the process of a growing period, especially one who gets to 6'3, to be able to eat lots and lots and not gain. It's really common (or was when I was young) for young men (and women) to sprout up before catching up in mass with their height, and to be fueling their growth by eating seemingly everything.

This is especially the case if the person noticing the eating is an older woman (mom) or smaller girl (sister). When I was a college freshman I ate whatever and didn't gain, but certainly was not skinny. My 6'5 boyfriend was able to eat seemingly endlessly and was much thinner than me. I didn't think this was remarkable -- he had 14 inches on me and was actually more active.

I do think NEAT, including that we don't do intentionally, plays a role -- Alan Aragon's Lean Muscle Diet book (decent despite the name) talks about some studies. I notice that when I'm not overweight I am naturally fidgity and tend to move a lot. When I am, sadly, I don't. Many people have the opposite, where they naturally decrease activity as they lose, whereas others are more likely to increase as they eat more (making it harder to gain for them). I don't think any of this is so extreme as to say people can't lose or are gravely at a disadvantage vs. others with weight maintenance, which is what people are arguing against (the "it's not fair, it's harder for me" thing).

Clearly overall TDEE varies a ton -- I am quite active and yet can never get anywhere near the calorie burn reported by a number of the men on the site. But that's fine, I'm smaller, why should I eat as much?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

This is an interesting study which I think highlights the difference in analysis on both sides. From your side, you use this as proof that excess food, for some people, is converted into them using more energy without them even thinking about it, therefore those people must be naturally thinner.

However, those who don't believe naturally thin people exist see this study as proof of their side - because all the extra energy expenditure was through extra activity, no matter how subconscious. The BMR remained similar enough to not account for the phenomenon ("BMR increased by an average of 5% in response to overfeeding (Table 2), accounting for 8% of the excess ingested energy."). The difference in calories burned was entirely in extra activity on top of BMR, although the activity wasn't intentional activity.

It's really the difference between an observation and scientific rigor. The observation says "that person is thin and doesn't seem to be doing much more than me/doesn't actively try to lose weight, that means they're naturally thin". The science says "that person is thin because they fidget more than others to burn off the calories they're consuming - naturally thin doesn't exist, they're just moving more in unnoticeable ways." You two are working from different definitions of "naturally thin".

Okay. I will remain open to other explanations.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

Counting calories is one thing but that is just not normal behaviour.

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

OK, here is my new diagnosis - it's odd.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

I'll save the others from responding. This is a typical canned response:

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

Did you weigh, measure, and log every morsel of food he ate???

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

Because you didn't, how dare you comment on his metabolism!!!

no, the point is it is impossible to truly know how many calories this person consumed on a daily basis. Studies have shown that most people under or over estimate the calories in their food portions by 35 to 50%.

Most people that everyone assumes have high metabolisms either 1) eat a lot less then you think they do or 2) have a higher activity level...

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You do know that NEAT is NOT metabolism, right?
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.

How dare you! Hahaha thats gota be the best comment on here
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Metabolism and NEAT are factors.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Haven't read any responses, but I think if it were so easy to simply eat until satisfied most people wouldn't need to be here.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Intuitively, if you feed 500 full-grown 19-year-olds 2,000 calories a day, and they all exercise X amount, does anyone honestly believe they will gain/lose the same amount of weight?

You keep repeating the same old stuff as your argument that people have repeatedly told you is not what any single person is arguing. It's beginning to smell.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options

You do know that NEAT is NOT metabolism, right?

Yes, the post you are quoting (that I wrote) clearly states "NEAT plays a part."
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.

How dare you! Hahaha thats gota be the best comment on here

Okay, I'll bite....but only because I think the point is being misunderstood in superfluous barbs.

Yes, some people are more efficient at burning calories, but it's not about having a magical metabolism, it's about activity level and, whether consciously or unconsciously, balancing that with how much you eat. How could it really be anything else?

My brothers and dad were similar in that they could eat anything they wanted, as much as they wanted, and still not gain an ounce. I was sure I ate about the same amount of food but I was overweight.

My dad worked at a strenuous job where he was constantly on the go.

My brothers seemed to eat a lot but were outside running and playing and were very active.

Me? I ate and was in my room reading all the time. I rarely moved, unless someone drug me out of the house to go and do something.

To this date, my younger brother is tall and skinny, and I once accused him of being lucky to have a fast metabolism. He said, "No, SLLRunnder, I don't have a fast metabolism. I just burn off any extra calories through activity."

There is no magic in losing weight, or maintaining gaining weight or maintaining.

If someone is losing weight quickly, or eating boatloads of food and not gaining weight, or they not losing weight when they are sure they are eating at a calorie deficit, they need to go to the doctor to be checked for a medical issue.
  • DebSozo
    Options

And more efficient means they burn LESS doing the same thing.

Clarification for you: Efficient Metabolism.
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just a thought on my previous post.

If there are newbies who want to start counting calories, it should be strongly suggested to them, at least for the first month or so, that they only purchase foods where there can be no possible way of screwing up the calorie count.

A can of tuna fish, two eggs, pre-packaged frozen burgers on a bun, a can of soup, an ice cream bar (as opposed to scooping ice cream from a container), a pre-packaged burrito, etc. Just about anything where you can "leave your brain at home" when counting.

I have never read ANYBODY suggest this incredible simplification of the process.

Why would you ever suggest somebody only eat prepackaged foods? Frozen burgers on a bun? Barf.

I will continue cooking my meals from scratch, measure/weigh as closely as possible, and risk the calories in my homemade soup being less accurate than your can. Thanks.