All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I guess my skinny boy secretly starved himself? Not! He is still working hard to gain. He is frustrated because he is weight training and having trouble putting on mass.

Did he ever have access to grease traps?

No. He tried drinking a gallon of milk a day to gain weight one summer, though.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Metabolism accounts for 60-75% (and in some cases maybe more) of your calories burned. Muscle is directly tied to metabolism. The more muscle one has, the greater their metabolic expenditure. And for every 1lb of muscle gained, an additional 4-6 calories per day are burnt. And as many people age, they tend to lose muscle which can be contributed to a lot of factors (inactivity, poor diets, etc..).

Yes.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The son who wants to gain appears to have a really high basal metabolic rate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I was trying to make two points:

1) If calorie counting, weighing and measuring is too difficult or you just don't want to do it, start off with packaged foods, eggs, etc. that require no counting, weighing and measuring.

2) I never said counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. I said a LIFETIME of counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. You've been counting, weighing and measuring for a year and you reached your goal. That one year has trained you how to eat. And as I said above, if you gain two pounds, start counting, measuring and weighing again to lose the two pounds.

Sheesh!

Yes, you have said all that and you are still wrong.

Like I said, some of us have more goals than a healthy weight that require as much accuracy as we can accomplish. That's not OCD. That's being dedicated to something you ENJOY and working towards goals.
    Bro, let's face it.....................sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options

I guess my skinny boy secretly starved himself? Not! He is still working hard to gain. He is frustrated because he is weight training and having trouble putting on mass.

Did he ever have access to grease traps?

No. He tried drinking a gallon of milk a day to gain weight one summer, though.

Well that would increase his risks of acne, cancner, and 400 other conditions.

Good thing he stopped. You are random.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    An efficient metabolism is able to do more work with less input.

ETA: Just like an efficient car gets better gas mileage, so you need to fill it up less often.

Some people convert their cars to run on grease trap leavings. They then collect the leavings for free so their car essentially is the best mileage of all when you think about the costs.
    Maybe some people's metabolisms are like that.
    Lol, when you say "convert" you're talking about someone changing their genetics? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• DebSozo
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    An efficient metabolism is able to do more work with less input.

ETA: Just like an efficient car gets better gas mileage, so you need to fill it up less often.

Some people convert their cars to run on grease trap leavings. They then collect the leavings for free so their car essentially is the best mileage of all when you think about the costs.
    Maybe some people's metabolisms are like that.
    Lol, when you say "convert" you're talking about someone changing their genetics? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hehe. Convertibles
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I was trying to make two points:

1) If calorie counting, weighing and measuring is too difficult or you just don't want to do it, start off with packaged foods, eggs, etc. that require no counting, weighing and measuring.

2) I never said counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. I said a LIFETIME of counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. You've been counting, weighing and measuring for a year and you reached your goal. That one year has trained you how to eat. And as I said above, if you gain two pounds, start counting, measuring and weighing again to lose the two pounds.

Sheesh!

Yes, you have said all that and you are still wrong.

Like I said, some of us have more goals than a healthy weight that require as much accuracy as we can accomplish. That's not OCD. That's being dedicated to something you ENJOY and working towards goals.
    Bro, let's face it.....................sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1addquyjud4y.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The son who wants to gain appears to have a really high basal metabolic rate.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest

That might be a helpful thread for your son. Lots of high calorie food options in there. But as a growing child, their metabolic rates are going to be a lot higher. When we generally talk metabolism, we are speaking in terms of grown adults.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Metabolism accounts for 60-75% (and in some cases maybe more) of your calories burned. Muscle is directly tied to metabolism. The more muscle one has, the greater their metabolic expenditure. And for every 1lb of muscle gained, an additional 4-6 calories per day are burnt. And as many people age, they tend to lose muscle which can be contributed to a lot of factors (inactivity, poor diets, etc..).

m1264.gif
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    He isn't eating enough to support gaining mass. I've had this same discussion with skinny guys who train a million times. Until they actually track how much they eat, they really don't have any idea. Many times I see guys claiming they eat a lot, then when calorie counts come out, they are eating 2500-3000 calories. Now that may seem a lot, but for an active teen/20 year old male, that's usually just maintenance.
    If he ate just a large pizza 4 times a day (even if it was just cheese), he'd gain weight.
    This coming from a former skinny kid who became a bodybuilder and found out I needed to eat 4,000+ calories to put on mass.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks! He will be happy to know that there is still hope to gain muscle mass and bulk.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    He isn't eating enough to support gaining mass. I've had this same discussion with skinny guys who train a million times. Until they actually track how much they eat, they really don't have any idea. Many times I see guys claiming they eat a lot, then when calorie counts come out, they are eating 2500-3000 calories. Now that may seem a lot, but for an active teen/20 year old male, that's usually just maintenance.
    If he ate just a large pizza 4 times a day (even if it was just cheese), he'd gain weight.
    This coming from a former skinny kid who became a bodybuilder and found out I needed to eat 4,000+ calories to put on mass.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks!

To build on to niner. If you spend time in the gaining weight section, there is a thread about fast metabolisms almost every day (the opposite of GD&WL). Interestingly enough, when they document how many calories they are eating, they fall within the standard deviation. In the few years I have been in that section, anecdotally, only one guy had a fast metabolism (diagnosed hyperthyroidism) and one had a malabsorption issue which is another ball game.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would think 4000+ calories is a lot, though. Wouldn't that indicate a good calorie burn rate?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would think 4000+ calories is a lot, though. Wouldn't that indicate a good calorie burn rate?

Most of us are around 3000 for maintenance (+/-300 calories). 4000 is pretty hefty and the majority of the guys I know in that range have active jobs or workout a lot (a few cyclist).
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options

Most of us are around 3000 for maintenance (+/-300 calories). 4000 is pretty hefty and the majority of the guys I know in that range have active jobs or workout a lot (a few cyclist).

He does like high adrenaline sports. Okay. He probably does need more. But what comes first, good metabolism and desire for sports or vice versa? Could I up my TDEE calories to 3000 from 1700?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,947 Member
    Options
    Do people not cook from recipes anymore? Is that not basically basically counting calories? Or is just the input of the food into the app the OCD part?

Weighing ingredients to make a cake is OCD.
    You must have never tried/will never try to cook any of the recipes Modernist Cuisine puts out. Or lurked the uber-serious baking forums to scrape recipes/troubleshoot baking problems. Everything is in grams and/or Baker's percentages.

I understood @stevencloser to be joking. Perhaps because he is, or perhaps because of my time in restaurants in which the bakers used food scales.