All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on food OCD, wright or wrong..

People who never eat outside of their home because they can't get an accurate calorie count/ people who take their food scale everywhere and weigh every crumb on their plate and log it there and then before deciding to eat it.

If they prelog 150g of broccoli, they will take off every tiny spear until it weighs exactly 150g. Their diaries must show perfectly rounded numbers.

If they weigh a prepackaged food that says 60g but it is 63g, they will cut off bits until it reaches 60g and throw that extra 3g in the trash.

They will NEVER accept foods from someone else.

If they buy a small tub of yogurt that weighs more or less than what is stated on the label, they will go in to full on panic mode and may stress over this conundrum for hours, and in the end will not eat it.

They will panic over a 6oz increase on the scale.

They will deny social invitations because it falls within their meal time/exercise schedule.

Someone who simply weighs their food is NOT ocd.

Talking of obsession.. The bolded is driving me nuts!!!!!!!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

People who never eat outside of their home because they can't get an accurate calorie count/ people who take their food scale everywhere and weigh every crumb on their plate and log it there and then before deciding to eat it.

If they prelog 150g of broccoli, they will take off every tiny spear until it weighs exactly 150g. Their diaries must show perfectly rounded numbers.

If they weigh a prepackaged food that says 60g but it is 63g, they will cut off bits until it reaches 60g and throw that extra 3g in the trash.

If they buy a small tub of yogurt that weighs more or less than what is stated on the label, they will go in to full on panic mode and may stress over this conundrum for hours, and in the end will not eat it.

They will deny social invitations because it falls within their meal time/exercise schedule.

Talking of obsession.. The bolded is driving me nuts!!!!!!!

Lolz nice.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I proved calorie and calorie out only works. One week I ate nothing but donuts ice cream and other sweets just to see if it really was on par with science.

I would never recommend this and I felt horrible that week but I lost the same amount of weight that week as I do when I lose weight eating the healthy foods of the same caloric intake.

Why don't you try the donuts and ice cream for a year and see what happens. One week is meaningless.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

Counting calories is one thing but that is just not normal behaviour.

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

So.....saying if anyone reaches their goal weight but chooses to count calories and weigh food long term, they have OCD? You're really saying this?

Please tell me I've misunderstood so that I can try to understand where you are coming from.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Have any of you people with OCD ever considered it is just a nutrient deficiency?

To whom are you referring? I don't believe I've seen anyone here say they have OCD.

Nice try. You're trying to make me obesseively look at all the posts to tally who does or doesn't have OCD. I see what you did there.

You can't tell who has OCD from reading their posts. Was this a joke?

I'm not going to go tally and count who has OCD from their posts. As gonetothedogs19 points out, if I pay attention to all those little details, I'd have OCD myself. I'm not falling for SLLRunner's trick to have me give myself OCD.

You are way off on your assumption. ;)
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

OK, here is my new diagnosis - it's odd.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options

Well said. I like the shaving off the 3 calories to get from 63 to 60. Excellent example of calorie counting gone awry.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

How many calories do you eat?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This was from another thread about naturally lean people where he claimed that when he was in college he used to outeat all his friends and he never gained weight. That weight gain didn't start until he got older then piled on. We said he was underestimating his calorie intake back then. He said he wasn't and that he could remember everything both he and his friends ate in a day back in college 30 years ago. When asked for a sample day, he didn't provide one. Liquid calories were brought up, which he ignored because it didn't support his stance that some people can eat and eat and eat and never gain, despite eating at a surplus. I know some people want to believe it badly, but nobody's metabolism is that special aside from extremely rare medical conditions. The people who believe that tend to be justifiers of their own failure to lose weight.

Interesting.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options

This was from another thread about naturally lean people where he claimed that when he was in college he used to outeat all his friends and he never gained weight. That weight gain didn't start until he got older then piled on. We said he was underestimating his calorie intake back then. He said he wasn't and that he could remember everything both he and his friends ate in a day back in college 30 years ago. When asked for a sample day, he didn't provide one. Liquid calories were brought up, which he ignored because it didn't support his stance that some people can eat and eat and eat and never gain, despite eating at a surplus. I know some people want to believe it badly, but nobody's metabolism is that special aside from extremely rare medical conditions. The people who believe that tend to be justifiers of their own failure to lose weight.

So you are saying that every bone-thin high school senior is bone thin strictly only because he or she doesn't eat a lot and/or is on the track team or another team. I find that incredibly hard to believe.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

I'll save the others from responding. This is a typical canned response:

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2016
    Options

So you are saying that every bone-thin high school senior is bone thin strictly only because he or she doesn't eat a lot and/or is on the track team or another team. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

In high school, many kids are still growing which is why they have an increase in metabolism. You will see the same thing with burn victims (which isn't uncommon to see 5000 calories/day expenditure). Also, many bone thin kids also tend to have weird/less patterned eating habits or are highly active. I used to be able to eat large pizzas, 3 big macs in one sitting, drink 72 oz of soda, etc.. and never gained weight during high school. But I was also a ice hockey player and soccer player. Also, would like to point out, that even daily self recollection/self surverying is very poor, let alone doing it from 30 years ago.

But I digress, would you mind telling me how many calories you are eating now?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I'll save the others from responding. This is a typical canned response:

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.