Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

Counting calories is one thing but that is just not normal behaviour.

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

OK, here is my new diagnosis - it's odd.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

How many calories do you eat?

This was from another thread about naturally lean people where he claimed that when he was in college he used to outeat all his friends and he never gained weight. That weight gain didn't start until he got older then piled on. We said he was underestimating his calorie intake back then. He said he wasn't and that he could remember everything both he and his friends ate in a day back in college 30 years ago. When asked for a sample day, he didn't provide one. Liquid calories were brought up, which he ignored because it didn't support his stance that some people can eat and eat and eat and never gain, despite eating at a surplus. I know some people want to believe it badly, but nobody's metabolism is that special aside from extremely rare medical conditions. The people who believe that tend to be justifiers of their own failure to lose weight.

So you are saying that every bone-thin high school senior is bone thin strictly only because he or she doesn't eat a lot and/or is on the track team or another team. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

There are loads of studies supporting the fact that the fact majority of people fall within the normal statistics regarding energy balance. Short of certain illnesses or metabolic disorders a persons size is dictated by CICO. There is some variance in absorbtion, TEF, food combinations etc that will alter a persons exacts of energy in, but in daily normal diets probably not more than a 15-20% influence, if that much.

If you have any studies that show some people have no such disorders yet defy the laws of energy balance, I'm sure people would be open to reviewing them.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight growing up, but he was a seriously skinny kid. When you did the "pinch" test he only had skin and about a quarter inch between the fingers.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    No worries. I know that my brother did eat a lot and burned it all off plus some. He was always scavenging food and didn't gain. On top of that he got the good hair (wavy and thick) and I got the poker straight thin hair. Genetics.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

I'll save the others from responding. This is a typical canned response:

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

Of course you know. I certainly believe you. But most of the posters will say you have a hazy memory, or something like that, because there is no such thing as naturally thin people, when we all know there are plenty of naturally thin people.

Intuitively, if you feed 500 full-grown 19-year-olds 2,000 calories a day, and they all exercise X amount, does anyone honestly believe they will gain/lose the same amount of weight?
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yeah sure. My underweight brother burned calories the same as everyone. Lol. ;):D. Suuuure....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

Did you weigh, measure, and log every morsel of food he ate???
  • DebSozo
    Options
  • DebSozo
    Options
    DebSozo wrote:

Of course you know. I certainly believe you. But most of the posters will say you have a hazy memory, or something like that, because there is no such thing as naturally thin people, when we all know there are plenty of naturally thin people.

Intuitively, if you feed 500 full-grown 19-year-olds 2,000 calories a day, and they all exercise X amount, does anyone honestly believe they will gain/lose the same amount of weight?

Based on facts:

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
    Extending this into practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily. Comparing somebody at or below the 5th percentile with somebody at or above the 95th percentile would yield a difference of possibly 600kcal daily, and the chance of this occurring (comparing the self to a friend) is 0.50%, assuming two completely random persons.

So there is some variation, but not that huge.

See the study I posted. There was a huge variation.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Yeah sure. My underweight brother burned calories slowly. Lol. ;):D. Suuuure....

Honestly, without data, it's hard to say what he was burning. I would hazard to guess that none of us knew what we were burning in terms of calories.

He burned more calories because of his higher metabolism. No doubt in my mind.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

Because you didn't, how dare you comment on his metabolism!!!
  • DebSozo
    Options

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.

It's not about burning more effeciency, as there are some differences as demonstrated above, but many will confuse metabolism with NEAT/TEF/TEA
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options

No idea.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Big muscular guys don't burn more calories per hour sitting on their couches than sarcopenic little old ladies sitting on their couches. And since we don't have any big muscular guys or sarcopenic little old ladies on this site it really doesn't matter anyway.

Right?

(Big sigh)
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The point about pre-packaged stuff being potentially off was a response to a poster who was claiming that it was better to change one's diet to be all packaged single-serving stuff vs. to have to weigh. IMO, saying you must use pre-packaged to count properly is way more neurotic than weighing one's foods*, and once you weigh it's not much of a hassle to weigh everything you put in a bowl or on a plate or use in cooking.

*If I were going to make such judgments, but I personally think it's wrong to do so.

I was that poster.

Bottom line - the vast majority of people fail at diets, whether they count calories or don't count calories.

My suggestion was that in order to make calorie counting easier for newbies, it would be much better to eat pre-packaged foods (including things like single-serve yogurts, cans of tuna fish and soup) or foods where you don't have to weigh or measure anything (like an egg).

It's hard enough to start any diet (which is why most people fail). Making newbies weigh and measure and obsess over calories on Day 1 makes the situation even worse, and will result in more failure.

The people here on this site who say its easy to weigh, measure and count remind me of vegans who say it's easy to be a vegan. Both are not easy.

You've revealed one of your hidden assumptions here - that the failure of newbies is disproportionately related to being overwhelmed by weighing of food. I would say it's far more likely that the failure of newbies is disproportionately related to not being able to eat everything they want in the portions that they want, which is not resolved by limiting them to specific foods (that will still be off by hundreds of calories).

In fact, you contradicted your own assumption at the start by saying that most people fail at diets regardless of counting calories. So why would counting calories in a way that severely restricts your eating solve the problem?

You missed the point. If you want more people to join the fraternity of calories counters, it is suggested that they start out eating pre-packaged food, eggs, etc.

And another thought - You are more likely to get an accurate count that way (add 10% to the label if you want to), than doing it on your own.

And another thought - Weigh and measuring yogurt because it's in a large container? How about keeping an empty single-serve container, and scooping the yogurt from the large container into the single-serve container? No counting necessary.

Now I'm wondering if you are serious or not.

Fraternity of calorie counters? What is that?

If you feel your method of estimation works for you, wonderful. Calorie counting and weighing food works for others of us.

Now I'm wondering what all of this has to do with a calorie being a calorie. ;)

I realized I had no idea how this started too so I followed it back - looks like it went "all calories aren't equal, otherwise everyone would be losing weight" to "people aren't losing weight because they count calories inaccurately" to "counting calories is easy -lots of incorrect calorie counting- and also newbies should eat all prepackaged foods" and it all spiraled downhill from there. :D

Now we are off on a tangent again.