Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

Counting calories is one thing but that is just not normal behaviour.

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

OK, here is my new diagnosis - it's odd.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

I'll save the others from responding. This is a typical canned response:

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

Did you weigh, measure, and log every morsel of food he ate???

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

Because you didn't, how dare you comment on his metabolism!!!

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.

How dare you! Hahaha thats gota be the best comment on here

Okay, I'll bite....but only because I think the point is being misunderstood in superfluous barbs.

If someone is losing weight quickly, or eating boatloads of food and not gaining weight, or they not losing weight when they are sure they are eating at a calorie deficit, they need to go to the doctor to be checked for a medical issue.

My brother was a healthy child and burned calories quickly. He had a hard time gaining even when he ate a lot. One of my three boys is like my brother in that he can eat tremendous quantities of food and remains very low BMI and little body fat, , the youngest child is obese, and the oldest is normal weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Let me be clear, the OCD comment was aimed at those who stress over weighing a pre-packaged, single serving yogurt just incase the calories are off by +/- 5-10kcal. Those who weigh restaurant food and pick apart meals "just incase".

If I weren't weighing my food, I would be eating at least 200 more calories more than I should every day. Slices of bread, cups of yogurt, packaged food that says it has "about 1.5 servings" that really has more than three. I'm far from OCD, but yeah, I'm going to weigh all of that--because having lost 75lbs is better than not.

The receptionist at my physical therapist's office and I got to talking. She used to be obese. She has peanut butter and apples for breakfast, and still weighs it all out. She's not OCD either. She's doing what she needs to do to maintain her healthy weight. Over five years and counting.

Labeling people with a mental condition because you don't understand why they do what they do is ridiculous.

If you have reached your goal weight, and five years later you are still counting every calorie and weighing and measuring everything you eat, it is OCD.

God forbid you gain two pounds. Guess what? You can start counting again and lose the two pounds.

You are clueless about OCD and you have no business speaking about it. At this point I think you are purposely being disrespectful.

I mean no disrespect and I do not mean to be argumentative. It is just beyond my comprehension that a healthy person who works out and has reached the correct weight by counting, weighing and measuring, would continue to count, weigh and measure meal after meal after meal, year after year after year.

Just enjoy your food. Weigh yourself every day. I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to you other than gaining two pounds, which you can lose right away by counting, measuring and weighing.

Sorry, but I do not understand the obsession. And it is, in my opinion, an obsession.

There is a different between a habit and an obsession. There is a difference between a choice and a compulsion. There is a difference between having an obsession or a compulsion and having obsessive compulsive disorder. There is a difference between choosing to weigh and stressing about weighing. There is a difference between stressing about weighing and having obsessive compulsive disorder. Until you understand any of these differences, you need to stop throwing diagnoses around like they're Mardi Gras beads.

You know what I think is odd? Someone who claims they ate more than all of their college friends and never gained weight. Someone who claims they can recall everything both them and their friends ate when they were in college over 30 years ago. I knew I remembered you. I remember calling you out in that other thread for having problems with a food scale and you said you didn't. I apologized for being mistaken. Now I'm annoyed that I apologized for that because you clearly do.

That's right. Almost 6' 1", 145 lbs., no exercise other than walking to class (like everyone else), and eating like a horse. That's me! Thanks for remembering.

And by the way, it's called a fast metabolism. I'm sure you have heard of that term.

My brother was like that. He was 6'3", 145 pounds, and ate like a horse. So I tend to think that certain individuals do have higher "engine" speeds and fast metabolisms.

- You weren't with him all the time. How do you know he wasn't running five miles everyday?
    - You say he ate lie a "horse." What does that mean? You weren't counting his calories. And maybe he only ate like a horse when you were with him, and he didn't eat the rest of the day.

Something like that. In other words, the posters here who never met your brother, know more about him than you do.

He grew up with me. So I do know. As soon as my mom brought in groceries he was climbing on the counter as a child and eating up food. He kept the fast metabolism into teens and adulthood.

See. I told you! This is the canned response. Did you weigh, measure and log his food?

I think people don't want to acknowledge that some people are more efficient burning calories.

And more efficient means they burn LESS doing the same thing.

Clarification for you: Efficient Metabolism.

Clarification for you: You're still using the word efficient incorrectly.

Okay, thanks. What words should I put there? Some people are less efficient burning calories?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

How dare you! Hahaha thats gota be the best comment on here

Okay, I'll bite....but only because I think the point is being misunderstood in superfluous barbs.

If someone is losing weight quickly, or eating boatloads of food and not gaining weight, or they not losing weight when they are sure they are eating at a calorie deficit, they need to go to the doctor to be checked for a medical issue.

My brother was a healthy child and burned calories quickly. He had a hard time gaining even when he ate a lot. One of my three boys is like my brother in that he can eat tremendous quantities of food and remains very low BMI and little body fat, , the youngest child is obese, and the oldest is normal weight.

Makes sense to me. Except to most of the posters here.

Get ready:

You're not weighing and measuring their food, so you can't make this statement.

Your skinny son fidgets more than your other sons. And he's secretly training to run a 10K.

Your obese son is using his allowance to secretly purchase packages of Oreo cookies, which he eats when you are not around. And unlike your skinny son, he does not fidget.

Of course I'm kidding/exaggerating. But it is beyond my belief that most here will not accept that you just happen to have three sons with different metabolisms, that has resulted in vastly different outcomes.

since most people are off on their calorie estimates by 35-50% it is completely natural to assume that they are eating less than is assumed....
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    Bottom line - if you are counting calories, weighing, measuring and logging religiously, and cannot lose weight (a common complaint on this site), try this approach. Why not? And why would you continue doing something that is not working?
    't

Its just impossible to not lose weight when you are in a deficit. So the common complaint on this site is 100% the cause of mistakes in counting. Its that simple. Don't spin it towards something else

How hard is it to count calories? One ounce of cereal with skim milk (the amount is stated on the cereal box) for breakfast. Two cans of tuna fish and whatever the portion of mayonnaise is on the label for lunch. 100-calorie pre-packaged snack. A couple of pre-made burgers on a bun for dinner with a salad and a low-cal dressing.

This is not exactly rocket science.

It's not rocket science but if people are using the 1 cup or 1/4 cup suggestions for the measurement instead of weighing it, they're almost definitely eating more than they think. For example. I have some granola I mix into my Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt says a serving is 1 cup (227 g) and the granola says a serving is 1/4 cup (27g). That's what the packaging gives as a serving size.

I put my 1/2 cup on my scale to eat half a serving and I filled it about 2/3 full before I reached 113 g. If I had filled it to the top, I'd be eating more than I thought. And when I weighed the granola, 1/4 cup was 1.5 servings.

So it may not be rocket science but if people are using measuring cups and wondering why they aren't losing weight, it's not what they're eating. It's how much.

This is exactly what most newbies SHOULD NOT be doing.

I am eating a Chobani yogurt right now. It contains 140 calories. Not 150 calories and not 130 caloires. There is nothing to weigh and nothing to measure. Forget about weighing granola. It just makes life difficult

And Chobani has some product where you mix in things (one of them may be granola) into the yogurt. That may contain 200 calories. Not 210 calories and not 190 calories.

I say KISS (with affection) to all newbies - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Sorry, not accurate. Nutrition facts are allowed a 10% margin of error. Your Chobani could be 154 calories and still be within the guidelines. On top of this, many nutrition labels are outside of the guidelines and some have been found to be off my more than 70% (Wonder Bread in an AU study).
  • DebSozo
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    An efficient metabolism is able to do more work with less input.

ETA: Just like an efficient car gets better gas mileage, so you need to fill it up less often.

I guess I need an inefficient metabolism then.
    :D
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

ETA: Just like an efficient car gets better gas mileage, so you need to fill it up less often.

Some people convert their cars to run on grease trap leavings. They then collect the leavings for free so their car essentially is the best mileage of all when you think about the costs.
    Maybe some people's metabolisms are like that.

I think that's a low carb, high fat diet... :p
  • DebSozo
    Options

Some people convert their cars to run on grease trap leavings. They then collect the leavings for free so their car essentially is the best mileage of all when you think about the costs.

Lol. I thought you were joking.
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/9/29/dining-hall-drippings-power-garbage-truck/
  • DebSozo
    Options
    :)

:D

I think that's a low carb, high fat diet... :p

Hahahaa! :D:)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It sounds lovely, but I can't. Any time I have not counted, I've gained weight back quickly. I do eat healthy, whole foods, cook at home etc but I just don't burn many calories. I work out like a maniac to make up for it. Check back in and let us know what kind of results you get with this method, if it does the trick for you.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm really confused by people who can't believe its all about CICO.

Do this experiment.....fast for 24 hours.
    Do you really think that you won't lose weight?

If its obvious that not eating will cause you to lose weight, isn't it obvious that not losing means that you are eating too much?
    Just recalculate your CICO formula...
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Has anyone else read the book "Always Hungry"? It really explains everything that I have always felt intuitively. What if he is right about not all calories being equal? That different foods (and therefore calories) biologically impact us in different ways?
    I highly recommend the book, here is the website: http://drdavidludwig.com
    No counting calories, eat until satisfied, cut way down on refined carbohydrates and eat plenty of fat. Countless health benefits including weight loss and best of all, no hunger.

Anyone want to join me on a 6 month experiment? Send a friend request.

I believe different foods impact us in different ways. At least for me they do.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I guess my skinny boy secretly starved himself? Not! He is still working hard to gain. He is frustrated because he is weight training and having trouble putting on mass.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Metabolism accounts for 60-75% (and in some cases maybe more) of your calories burned. Muscle is directly tied to metabolism. The more muscle one has, the greater their metabolic expenditure. And for every 1lb of muscle gained, an additional 4-6 calories per day are burnt. And as many people age, they tend to lose muscle which can be contributed to a lot of factors (inactivity, poor diets, etc..).