All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    People have lost careers over things they said decades ago before. Even things they don't actually stand behind anymore unlike Lustig.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    Just a thought on my previous post.

If there are newbies who want to start counting calories, it should be strongly suggested to them, at least for the first month or so, that they only purchase foods where there can be no possible way of screwing up the calorie count.

A can of tuna fish, two eggs, pre-packaged frozen burgers on a bun, a can of soup, an ice cream bar (as opposed to scooping ice cream from a container), a pre-packaged burrito, etc. Just about anything where you can "leave your brain at home" when counting.

I have never read ANYBODY suggest this incredible simplification of the process.

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how to count calories though, and frankly throws doubt onto the many points you try to make against CICO, since you've revealed that you don't really understand it.

Do you truly think that every single egg is the exactly same weight, down to the grams? Have you looked into the labeling laws that allow mislabeling on caloric content within a certain range? Have you ever weighed a prepackaged item to see how different the weight actually is from what's mentioned on the package? You seem to think cereal should be measured in cups - do you honestly think that the same amount of cereal settles into a cup measure the exact same way every time, thus creating an exact caloric measurement?

The most basic, fundamental part of accurate calorie counting is "weigh all solids, measure all liquids". The reason people don't start with "eat prepackaged things" is because that's a fundamentally incorrect understanding of how this all works.

You are more likely to mess up weighing and measuring food than using nutrition labels.

If you are minimally competent neither is difficult.

However, eating mostly packaged stuff with labels would be difficult and unsatisfying for me, and more expensive and less nutritious, on average, than how I like to eat. So it would not be sustainable.

Drastically changing how you eat might be difficult for many people -- making gradual changes to reduce calories and (if necessary) to make the diet more nutritious overall will often be a good approach.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Most people who start diets (including those who try to count calories) fail miserably.

So if you believe in CICO, why wouldn't you advise a newbie for maybe the 1st month, to do it the easy way - only eat things that you are certain of the calorie count (and to make a prior poster happy, add 10% to what the label says).

So let's say it works. You've done CICO the easy way for one month with no measuring and weighing, and you've lost 5 pounds. Now, you are a believe in CICO! Now, it is time to learn weighing and measuring, and eating better foods.

I don't understand it. This webpage is a CICO fraternity/sorority. If you want more people doing CICO, my advise is the best advise. It's hard enough to try to lose weight using any method, and now you are asking people to weigh and measure and weigh and measure when they start out. Forget about that for the first month.

I disagree that your way is the "easy way". Most people fail on diets because they're hungry - not because weighing was too much work. An all-processed-food diet will leave you hungry because you simply won't be getting the volume that most heavier people need to feel full.

When I first started calorie counting, the first thing I did was buy a food scale and I immediately started weighing my food. (And I'll admit that I'm a scientist so weighing is completely trivial to me - as it should be for anyone who took a decent home ec or science class in school. Typing everything into the computer was *way* more time consuming than the weighing part.) The main changes that happened - and the reason I was successful at losing the weight - and the reason I continued with calorie counting - were mental. It was an awareness of how many calories were in different foods, so I started eating more fruit and veg because they were less calorie dense. None of that would/could have happened on an all processed food diet. Instead, I would have been hungry all the time and would have given up.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    bethannien wrote: »
    Bottom line - if you are counting calories, weighing, measuring and logging religiously, and cannot lose weight (a common complaint on this site), try this approach. Why not? And why would you continue doing something that is not working?
    't

Its just impossible to not lose weight when you are in a deficit. So the common complaint on this site is 100% the cause of mistakes in counting. Its that simple. Don't spin it towards something else

How hard is it to count calories? One ounce of cereal with skim milk (the amount is stated on the cereal box) for breakfast. Two cans of tuna fish and whatever the portion of mayonnaise is on the label for lunch. 100-calorie pre-packaged snack. A couple of pre-made burgers on a bun for dinner with a salad and a low-cal dressing.

This is not exactly rocket science.

It's not rocket science but if people are using the 1 cup or 1/4 cup suggestions for the measurement instead of weighing it, they're almost definitely eating more than they think. For example. I have some granola I mix into my Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt says a serving is 1 cup (227 g) and the granola says a serving is 1/4 cup (27g). That's what the packaging gives as a serving size.

I put my 1/2 cup on my scale to eat half a serving and I filled it about 2/3 full before I reached 113 g. If I had filled it to the top, I'd be eating more than I thought. And when I weighed the granola, 1/4 cup was 1.5 servings.

So it may not be rocket science but if people are using measuring cups and wondering why they aren't losing weight, it's not what they're eating. It's how much.

This is exactly what most newbies SHOULD NOT be doing.

I am eating a Chobani yogurt right now. It contains 140 calories. Not 150 calories and not 130 caloires. There is nothing to weigh and nothing to measure. Forget about weighing granola. It just makes life difficult

And Chobani has some product where you mix in things (one of them may be granola) into the yogurt. That may contain 200 calories. Not 210 calories and not 190 calories.

I say KISS (with affection) to all newbies - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Seriously, have you actually weighed the yogurt before determining it has 140 calories, not 139 or 141?

Are you being serious?

Bottom line - if you are counting calories, weighing, measuring and logging religiously, and cannot lose weight (a common complaint on this site), try this approach. Why not? And why would you continue doing something that is not working?
    't

Its just impossible to not lose weight when you are in a deficit. So the common complaint on this site is 100% the cause of mistakes in counting. Its that simple. Don't spin it towards something else

How hard is it to count calories? One ounce of cereal with skim milk (the amount is stated on the cereal box) for breakfast. Two cans of tuna fish and whatever the portion of mayonnaise is on the label for lunch. 100-calorie pre-packaged snack. A couple of pre-made burgers on a bun for dinner with a salad and a low-cal dressing.

It's not rocket science but if people are using the 1 cup or 1/4 cup suggestions for the measurement instead of weighing it, they're almost definitely eating more than they think. For example. I have some granola I mix into my Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt says a serving is 1 cup (227 g) and the granola says a serving is 1/4 cup (27g). That's what the packaging gives as a serving size.

I put my 1/2 cup on my scale to eat half a serving and I filled it about 2/3 full before I reached 113 g. If I had filled it to the top, I'd be eating more than I thought. And when I weighed the granola, 1/4 cup was 1.5 servings.

So it may not be rocket science but if people are using measuring cups and wondering why they aren't losing weight, it's not what they're eating. It's how much.

I am eating a Chobani yogurt right now. It contains 140 calories. Not 150 calories and not 130 caloires. There is nothing to weigh and nothing to measure. Forget about weighing granola. It just makes life difficult

And Chobani has some product where you mix in things (one of them may be granola) into the yogurt. That may contain 200 calories. Not 210 calories and not 190 calories.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Repeat: THIS IS NOT TRUE. Your yogurt is not guaranteed to contain 140 calories. In fact, in the US it can be up to 20% off ("the label is considered to be out of compliance if the nutrient content of a composite of the product is greater than 20% above the value declared on the label", Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR 101.9(g))). That yogurt might be 112 calories....or, more likely, that yogurt may be 168 calories. Now expand that to a frozen dinner, one that's, say....600 calories. That could actually be up to 720. If you eat all your calories from prepackaged food, without weighing the portions, and eat up to your deficit, then you will very likely be consuming more calories than you think, cutting into or stalling your weight loss.

Seriously, have you actually weighed the yogurt before determining it has 140 calories, not 139 or 141?

You can't be serious about the calories in the yogurt.

OK, so here's what you do. The label says 140 calories. To be safe, add 10%, and now it's 154 calories. Problem solved. Or, you can make a breakfast with four or five ingredients where you have to weight and measure, weigh and measure. I would advise sticking with the yogurt.

So now you're backing out of your "Not 150 calories" claim?

10% or 20% matters. Especially when it's on every item you eat, all day, and especially if you don't have much wiggle room in your calories. Not to mention your other mistakes are not governed by the FDA requirements, so the consequences of them could be catastrophic to a carefully planned weight loss system.

For a yogurt, it's 28 more calories. For everything else, it's much more. The only method to be accurate in your calorie counting, which is necessary, is to make sure your food is in the portions that you think they are, which cannot be done by trusting labels to be accurate since we know they're not.

Although I have to be honest - I don't think I've ever seen someone arguing both "what kind of calories you consume matter, they have to be good calories" and also "people should just be eating all of their food prepackaged!" It's an interesting, if contradictory, set of opinions!

To be fair though, that up to 20% compliance zone is true even if you are weighing your yogurt. The nutrition label on a my greek yogurt (and most)t container lists it's nutrient/calorie profile by the gram and cup. 120cal per 1/2c or 175g.

Now I weigh out my 175g to get my 120 cal, but that 20% potential margin of error for calories doesn't disappear just because I weighed it out. Their have the same 20% margin in the calories for the weighted measure as well.

Yeah definitely, you'd have to go by grams and decide if it's worth the extra calories, if you want all the yogurt, etc. after weighing for sure. Weighing isn't a method to keep in a deficit, just a method to make sure that if you want a deficit you have the tools to get there! :)
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sounds like Slimming world to me, and people lose massive amounts of weight on that not weighing or counting most of the foods they eat?

Not according to the people who start Slimming World threads here...

I lost 2 stone on slimming world, it definetly works.....also did the atkins which I lost around 18lbs very quickly, my problem with both was the lack of bread amongst other food so wasent sustainable for me. I prefer mfp because variety of food is more important to me, but counting calories makes me hungrier. I definitely ate much more calories on slimming world and atkins than im allowed now on mfp (yes I checked) That kinda throws the cico theory out the window. Other methods do work, I just prefer mfp for now. I may go back to slimming world to get rid of my last stone.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It just seems obvious to me that 200 calories in almonds vs. 200 calories in a doughnut will not have the same result in your body. It actually seems like people here agree on that so I don't really know what the issue is. Part of the idea is that if we eat 1400 calories worth of nutritionally dense, higher fat foods then we will be less hungry than if we ate 1400 calories of processed, low fat foods.
    I read the review, interesting points.
    I dont trust doctors blindly, just was pointing out that he isn't a stick insect.

Your body does not react to them the same but the crazy CICO people will go on and on cause the unit of measure is the same. Regardless your body has a different hormonal response to each of the 2 items you just listed even though they are of the same calorie count. (saying you're right)

Welcome to the MFP community full of know it all's who "call out BS" and don't back any of there knowledge at all.They'll tell you to google it cause there are hundreds of studies out there that they've also never read!

Also that1 chick mentioned that people selling books are just trying to make money but then references that she also wrote a book... hilarious right? like am I the only person that caught that??

Remember when you're on here... most people are dicks... more so when it comes to CICO and or being a vegan... and know that for a fact! they are uneducated, unsuccessful people who know nothing at all, cause if they did ... they wouldn't be *kitten* around on the message boards now would they? Like if they are so educated, and so successful what are they doing on here all day?

Feel free to message me Earth if you want to talk about how stupid cico and how your body doesn't respond the same to 200 calories of doughnuts versus almonds.

Literally no one is saying that 200 calories of donuts is going to be as satisfying as 200 calories of nutrient dense food.

Also, calling most people "dicks" and being sarcastic and dismissive of everyone doesn't exactly make you look like a super nice guy, yourself pal.

If being a ***** means being honest and trying to save a person from a little bit of the heart ache I went through for so many years, and just one persons listens, then I am happy to be one.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    't

Are you being serious?

't

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Repeat: THIS IS NOT TRUE. Your yogurt is not guaranteed to contain 140 calories. In fact, in the US it can be up to 20% off ("the label is considered to be out of compliance if the nutrient content of a composite of the product is greater than 20% above the value declared on the label", Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR 101.9(g))). That yogurt might be 112 calories....or, more likely, that yogurt may be 168 calories. Now expand that to a frozen dinner, one that's, say....600 calories. That could actually be up to 720. If you eat all your calories from prepackaged food, without weighing the portions, and eat up to your deficit, then you will very likely be consuming more calories than you think, cutting into or stalling your weight loss.

OK, so here's what you do. The label says 140 calories. To be safe, add 10%, and now it's 154 calories. Problem solved. Or, you can make a breakfast with four or five ingredients where you have to weight and measure, weigh and measure. I would advise sticking with the yogurt.

10% or 20% matters. Especially when it's on every item you eat, all day, and especially if you don't have much wiggle room in your calories. Not to mention your other mistakes are not governed by the FDA requirements, so the consequences of them could be catastrophic to a carefully planned weight loss system.

For a yogurt, it's 28 more calories. For everything else, it's much more. The only method to be accurate in your calorie counting, which is necessary, is to make sure your food is in the portions that you think they are, which cannot be done by trusting labels to be accurate since we know they're not.

Although I have to be honest - I don't think I've ever seen someone arguing both "what kind of calories you consume matter, they have to be good calories" and also "people should just be eating all of their food prepackaged!" It's an interesting, if contradictory, set of opinions!

To be fair though, that up to 20% compliance zone is true even if you are weighing your yogurt. The nutrition label on a my greek yogurt (and most)t container lists it's nutrient/calorie profile by the gram and cup. 120cal per 1/2c or 175g.

Now I weigh out my 175g to get my 120 cal, but that 20% potential margin of error for calories doesn't disappear just because I weighed it out. Their have the same 20% margin in the calories for the weighted measure as well.

Yeah definitely, you'd have to go by grams and decide if it's worth the extra calories, if you want all the yogurt, etc. after weighing for sure. Weighing isn't a method to keep in a deficit, just a method to make sure that if you want a deficit you have the tools to get there! :)

I could be wrong, but I think this poster means that even if you weigh out 175g of yogurt, it will have 120 calories +/- error, because not every batch of yogurt will be identical. The 120 cal is still an estimate. Of course, weighing things out means you are decreasing error and coming closer to the real value, so it is still worth it.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    't

Are you being serious?

't

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I could be wrong, but I think this poster means that even if you weigh out 175g of yogurt, it will have 120 calories +/- error, because not every batch of yogurt will be identical. The 120 cal is still an estimate. Of course, weighing things out means you are decreasing error and coming closer to the real value, so it is still worth it.

Yes, exactly what I meant. We all just guessing. People who measure are just closer to the actual that those that are eyeballing.

Short of having a medical condition, how good we assess our intake and burn shows up when you get on the scale or do your measurements.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    't

Are you being serious?

't

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I think you're right and I misread - and on further reading of the guidelines you and him are both right because the FDA does go by gram measurements in servings, not serving amounts. Thanks for correcting me, that's good to know!

Edit: I would say this makes weighing even more important, to reduce the margin of error by any amount you can :D