All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Actually we aren't talking about Dr. Lustig, but Dr. Ludwig.
    I am going to go ahead and cut sugar, potatoes and processed foods out of my diet for 6 months anyway. I know a lot of you don't agree and to that I say- don't do it then! I spent two years off of sugar and flour and lost 79 pounds. So many people were bothered by this and convinced me that I should be able to eat anything I wanted in moderation. Of course I love sugar and flour and so I gave it a try- and gained back 50 pounds in the process. I am driven to overeat these things. Those of you who can't relate to this don't have that problem and I am happy for you because it really sucks. I know that I was more energetic and overall healthier when I wasn't consuming sugar and flour. Did I insist that everyone else did it? No! I didn't even make my children do that because everyone is allowed to make their own choices.
    I posted this morning looking for likeminded individuals, not looking for reasons not to cut out refined sugars and flour. I found a couple, so thanks to them.
    I'm not a newbie in any sense. I need support to go down the abstinence road because people are constantly telling me how stupid it is. It isn't easy but I know that it is right for me. And yes, eating 4000 calories a day won't end in weight loss.

You should self experiment like this, and periodically re-testing. Perhaps if you do it long enough you'll reach an equilibirum where you can no longer process carbs as much, so you can eat them in moderation because more of them will pass through you with your weakened carb processing.

Huh?!?!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I am a fitness trainer and all calories are not the same. While trying to loose weight if you eat too many carbs you will still loose weight but you will be loosing muscle and not look as flattering if you loosed the fat. However, not all carbs are bad - stay away from simple carbs (in moderation)

It has nothing to do with carbs. You're saying that if you eat mostly fats and protein, you will only loose fat, and not muscle? Eating in a deficit and not doing any weight training to maintain the muscle you have, will cause more muscle loss. Not because you are eating a high ammount of carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I haven't read the book, but I am a fitness trainer and all calories are not the same.
    Wherever you got your cert from then isn't legit. A calorie is a unit of measurement. Units of measurements don't change because materials are different.
    While trying to loose weight if you eat too many carbs you will still loose weight but you will be loosing muscle and not look as flattering if you loosed the fat.
    You do know that carbs are muscle sparing right? Who certified you?
    However, not all carbs are bad - stay away from simple carbs (in moderation)
    No carbs are "bad". They are different in nutrient density though. All carbs become what once in the body and broken down to simplest form?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, you need a tremendous amount of carbs to spare protein and muscle:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/
    50 grams is a lot? Lol, I eat at least 150-200g a day.
    From the article.
    Early research into the topic of starvation and low-carbohydrate dieting found that as few as 15 grams of carbohydrates per day can limit nitrogen loss in the body. And raising carbohydrate intake to 50 grams per day severely limits the need for the body to use amino acids for gluoconeogenesis (which is why I suggested setting daily carbs on the low-carb days of The Ultimate Diet 2.0 at 50 grams).
    And fats are nowhere near as sparing of nitrogen as carbs:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15173435
    I never mentioned anything about this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Though cico is not a woe. It's the only way to lose weight except for surgery or a tapeworm or malabsorption or a medical issue

http://www.vice.com/read/what-happens-if-you-give-yourself-a-tapeworm-to-lose-weight-862
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I don't mind hearing criticism, I just wonder why everyone feels the need to offer that. Thanks for the tip, I'll look over in groups.

Because so very many of us were just like you when it comes to trying to lose weight. Looking for that magical answer that's out there, reading a book and saying "Aha! So that's what is wrong with me, that's why I can't lose weight. This is what I need to do! I need to eat low carb or low fat, I need to eat healthy, I need to cut out refined sugars, or processed foods. I need some raspberry keytones, or I'll do the military diet. The problem is I have to calm down my fat cells, I need to jump start my metabolism.
    I tried it all for twenty years. So did a lot of people on here. I tried Atkins, South Beach, Phen Phen, over the counter pills, I read books and magazine articles, some written by scientists and Dr's.
    Please listen to the people on here, Calories in/ Calories out. That's what causes weight loss.

Oh my gosh, you look incredible!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    It just seems obvious to me that 200 calories in almonds vs. 200 calories in a doughnut will not have the same result in your body. It actually seems like people here agree on that so I don't really know what the issue is. Part of the idea is that if we eat 1400 calories worth of nutritionally dense, higher fat foods then we will be less hungry than if we ate 1400 calories of processed, low fat foods.
    I read the review, interesting points.
    I dont trust doctors blindly, just was pointing out that he isn't a stick insect.

Ugh. Low fat foods do not have to be processed. Higher fat may satiate YOU, but not me. 400 calories of beans and rice (low fat, not processed) is far more filling than 400 calories of cheese, meat, nuts, oil, etc. I can get plenty of nutritionally dense low/moderate fat foods. WTF. So sick of the ignorance 'round here.

To add, a lot of high fat foods are very processed.

More examples of low fat whole foods: fruits and veggies, greek yogurt, chicken, pork and many steaks.

Add me to the fat doesnt fill me club. A 12oz sirloin fills me a lot more than a 20oz ribeye.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »
    It just seems obvious to me that 200 calories in almonds vs. 200 calories in a doughnut will not have the same result in your body. It actually seems like people here agree on that so I don't really know what the issue is. Part of the idea is that if we eat 1400 calories worth of nutritionally dense, higher fat foods then we will be less hungry than if we ate 1400 calories of processed, low fat foods.
    I read the review, interesting points.
    I dont trust doctors blindly, just was pointing out that he isn't a stick insect.

Ugh. Low fat foods do not have to be processed. Higher fat may satiate YOU, but not me. 400 calories of beans and rice (low fat, not processed) is far more filling than 400 calories of cheese, meat, nuts, oil, etc. I can get plenty of nutritionally dense low/moderate fat foods. WTF. So sick of the ignorance 'round here.

To add, a lot of high fat foods are very processed.

More examples of low fat whole foods: fruits and veggies, greek yogurt, chicken, pork and many steaks.

Add me to the fat doesnt fill me club. A 12oz sirloin fills me a lot more than a 20oz ribeye.

Signing on to this also. I tend to eat whole foods, and most of them aren't high in fat. The fat I add (olive oil, butter) is more processed (not that I care), although I also eat nuts and avocados.

The "junk" I eat (like ice cream) tends to have both sugar and fat.

I wish fat filled me up, but it doesn't at all.