All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a somewhat critical review (with references) of the book by a neurobiologist:

wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just a thought on my previous post.

If there are newbies who want to start counting calories, it should be strongly suggested to them, at least for the first month or so, that they only purchase foods where there can be no possible way of screwing up the calorie count.

A can of tuna fish, two eggs, pre-packaged frozen burgers on a bun, a can of soup, an ice cream bar (as opposed to scooping ice cream from a container), a pre-packaged burrito, etc. Just about anything where you can "leave your brain at home" when counting.

I have never read ANYBODY suggest this incredible simplification of the process.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read the book "Always Hungry"? It really explains everything that I have always felt intuitively. What if he is right about not all calories being equal? That different foods (and therefore calories) biologically impact us in different ways?

The bolded part seems very much like a "duh!" statement to me. Are there people who believe that all foods biologically impact us in the same way?

As for calories being equal it depends on what you mean. As a unit of measurement a calorie is a calorie. But I suspect he means how calories affect us once eaten and then yeah, there are differences.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just a thought on my previous post.

If there are newbies who want to start counting calories, it should be strongly suggested to them, at least for the first month or so, that they only purchase foods where there can be no possible way of screwing up the calorie count.

A can of tuna fish, two eggs, pre-packaged frozen burgers on a bun, a can of soup, an ice cream bar (as opposed to scooping ice cream from a container), a pre-packaged burrito, etc. Just about anything where you can "leave your brain at home" when counting.

I have never read ANYBODY suggest this incredible simplification of the process.

Because they are allowed a 10% margin of error.....