THIS is why HRMs have limited use for tracking calories

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, you obviously dont understand. Moving on now.

Following the script even better than expected.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Were they physically attacked in the gym? If not, what does this have to do with the gym?

She said above that her friend got pushed down and needed stitches and she gets water bottles thrown at her and mooed at. If she reports it and works up the chain of command, they can remedy things. Or like I said in my other post above, figure out alternatives.

I agree.

I find it hard to believe that the only gym available is the one on the base.

In rural northern Japan...yeah. The only gym I as a SOFA Status dependent am allowed to use is the Potter Fitness Center on base. Thanks though.

Then don't strength train at the gym.

Go buy some free weights and use them at home. If you don't have the money for that then buy some resistance bands. You can do some great strength training with resistance bands. There are also DVD's that you can buy or that even come with the equipment that you can use. Do body weight exercises: squats, push ups, dips, lunges.

There are a lot of inexpensive ways for you to get in some strength training.

That counts? Any time I've seen it talked about its everyone saying pretty much if you don't lift heavy you're not worth anything. I can't buy free weights because it would cost way too much to get them shipped here...but I could buy resistance bands and have them shipped...thanks!

Yes, I have lived in Japan AND on a base. I know things go and so I know there are things you can do if you are willing to do it. I also know that there are people on base that give away their gym equipment because they are moving or because they aren't using. It's not as easy as craigslist in the US, but it isn't some rare occasion either. Also, they do have weights in Japan. Yes, even in Misawa. Gyms too. It just takes you searching and maybe even working with someone that knows the language if need be.

ETA to put programs that don't need equipment since it seems to have been "missed" before.

Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym
    NerdFitness
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, you obviously dont understand. Moving on now.

Following the script even better than expected.

Next up: flounce and rage-quit.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Guess im in for 4 hour gym sessions. Ill just use your numbers because every calculator is different for me. i ahve gotten 1750 calories all the way up to 4500 calories as my bmr with the same exact info. You were close. 35 years.

I really wasnt trying to be difficult. But without a way to know what I burn, I dont see how I can know I am in proper deficit without feeling starved. But if starvation is the way to go, then thats the way to go.
    4 hour gym sessions?

My recommendation is to spend about an hour doing strength training 3 times a week. That's 3 hours of gym time, total, per week.

That's it for gym time.

It is beneficial for you to get some cardio. I suggest doing something you enjoy, though at your size it may be difficult to do something like tennis or swimming. So just walk. Go walk around the mall for an hour 2 or 3 times a week. Anything that gets your heart rate up a bit for 2-4 hours total per week.

That's it. Done. Daily calorie deficit, some moderate cardio a couple times a week, and strength training a couple times a week.

the 4 hour gym sessions is because the gym I have has rude people and its hard to get on a machine or weights unless its 2am. So there is a lot of sit around and wait. I dont pay for the gym and I cant afford or hvae room for a weight set so the gym is the only option. Otherwise I swim laps for 30 minutes 4 times a week. I also do a group rowing class 2 times a week. I have been following the numbers from MFP since June 1 when I walked a 5k. I have my fit bit and try to hit the 5k steps a day. I am at the gym doing some sort of cardio 6 days a week. I have lost 19lbs now. Its just going to consume a considerable amount of time to lift weights. I have worked my *kitten* off to lose those lbs and I just dont want to gain by lifting weights and in my mind if I cant put a number to it, then I cant see how its usefull. But Ill give it a shot for a month and see what happens.
    [/quote]

You seem more focused on immediate scale results rather than long term benefit. The scale isn't a good measure for day to day success. It's only good when trending weight loss over longer periods and even then it's weight loss and not necessarily fat loss...which is actually a better goal.

Look at the scale for 5 lbs of muscle vs 5 lbs of fat:

fat-v-muscle.jpg

While the fat and muscle weigh the exact same on the scale, the density of the muscle allows for it to take up less space. Look at bodybuilders, football players, wrestlers...take John Cena for instance, 6'1" and weighs 250 lbs...this is "technically" obese according to the BMI chart, however looking at him and seeing he's not obese, he just has a low body fat % and higher lean muscle %.

Body composition is much more of a success story than scale weight.

Are you going to be 400 lbs of solid muscle..no. But you can work out and build a little muscle and help retain muscle while losing weight. You have a long road ahead of you, and you need to put more focus on down the road than the minute to minute ups and downs of a scale. Find what is a good and healthy deficit for you, eat at that deficit, lift heavy things for strength and muscle retention and body composition, do cardio for helping your endurance and general health.

Find something that is a consistent way to measure calorie intake and calorie output. I use a HRM for my workouts, I don't always record exactly what it says I've burned for any given session, but if I do, I don't eat back all those calories...just enough so that I'm not starving myself.

The most important thing is that you are making an effort to eat less than you have while moving more than you have. You can even eat the same as you have but increase your activity and you will find that positive results. HRM's and counting calories as well as everything else is just making you aware of what you do and what you eat and the importance of being consistent in what you do and aware of what you are doing.

HRM's have their uses but they are not the be all, end all of exercise monitoring...nothing is. However, if you understand that they are giving you a little more than a "best guess" and if you monitor the over a couple of months before making changes to diet and exercise, you will get positive results.
    [/quote]

Good information quoted here.

Almost all of us have suffered ridicule for their weight at some point in our lives. Don't let them defeat you with their bullying, and don't try and over complicate the process of losing weight. Log EVERYTHING you eat and be honest with the amounts. Buy a food scale and measure out your portions if you need to (they aren't expensive). It's very easy to understimate portion sizes (for meats and pastas especially) and was a big problem of mine. I follow the guidelines on MFP about how much I should eat every day. It works so I don't look elsewhere for more help with how much I should eat daily.

You seem obsessed with the scale so I would suggest limiting yourself to once weight in once a week and try to work you way up to once a month. Thinking about that number on a daily basis defeats the purpose of weight loss. It will go up and down daily and even hourly. Think about your weight loss more in weekly totals than daily ones. If you are doing what you should then the number will go down each week. If you need you may need to make adjustments to your intake or exercise. Read the success blogs on here and imagine how you'll feel once you reach your goals, and how much better you will feel during the process. Will out your "why I want to get in shape" and "My inspirations" in your profile. Read them again when you need motivation. You may find they change over time.

Strength training won't make you a "muscle bound jerk," but it will help to improve your strength and stamina allowing you to work harder to achieve your goals. I find that lifting heavy things is actually very theraputic and help me destress. Seeing those gains in strength can become just as motivating as the losses on the scale/ tape. Once the fat comes off you'll be happy the muscle stuck around I promise.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Yes, I have lived in Japan AND on a base. I know things go and so I know there are things you can do if you are willing to do it. I also know that there are people on base that give away their gym equipment because they are moving or because they aren't using. It's not as easy as craigslist in the US, but it isn't some rare occasion either. Also, they do have weights in Japan. Yes, even in Misawa. Gyms too. It just takes you searching and maybe even working with someone that knows the language if need be.

ETA to put programs that don't need equipment since it seems to have been "missed" before.

Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym
    NerdFitness

Thank you for those suggestions! I've been here for 7 months now and i am on all the free/sale pages for the base and haven't seen anyone selling their weights...but I'll keep looking! I've been to all 3 sports stores and haven't found weights in any of them. The BX won't order for just me either...not that I fault them for that. I'm not allowed to use any off base gyms. Because of recent events with idiots, there is a LOT of tension between the nationals and the servicemembers/families. Serous curfews and we're limited on what we can do. There's only one gym in Misawa, and it has a specific sign "for Japanese only". We're not allowed to use it...which is why I said I can only use Potter or find something else at home. So thank you for the at home suggestions. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym
    NerdFitness

Thank you for those suggestions! I've been here for 7 months now and i am on all the free/sale pages for the base and haven't seen anyone selling their weights...but I'll keep looking! I've been to all 3 sports stores and haven't found weights in any of them. The BX won't order for just me either...not that I fault them for that. I'm not allowed to use any off base gyms. Because of recent events with idiots, there is a LOT of tension between the nationals and the servicemembers/families. Serous curfews and we're limited on what we can do. There's only one gym in Misawa, and it has a specific sign "for Japanese only". We're not allowed to use it...which is why I said I can only use Potter or find something else at home. So thank you for the at home suggestions. :)

Have you checked amazon? I remember ordering things from there when I was in Japan and shipping wasn't bad.

Another suggestion could be to look into TRX Suspension Training and using Sandbags.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options

Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym
    NerdFitness

Have you checked amazon? I remember ordering things from there when I was in Japan and shipping wasn't bad.

Another suggestion could be to look into TRX Suspension Training and using Sandbags.

Yes, but shipping free weights would be pricy because of the weight. I've never heard of TRX...I'll have to look into it.

And I want to apologize to anyone and everyone if I seemed snappy. PMS is not my friend...and I'm just really thin skinned lately...so I'm sorry if I was a bizzo. :/
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Definitely not lifting weights. First of all because I can't--the only gym I have access to is a military base gym and if a "fatty" comes anywhere near the weight room they get run off pretty quickly. Those meatheads would rather I die than try to better myself. Doesn't matter if I plead my case to the actual service members working...they feel the same way.
    There's no way any of that happened.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    Definitely not lifting weights. First of all because I can't--the only gym I have access to is a military base gym and if a "fatty" comes anywhere near the weight room they get run off pretty quickly. Those meatheads would rather I die than try to better myself. Doesn't matter if I plead my case to the actual service members working...they feel the same way.

ETA...forget it. Not worth arguing over anymore. I don't know why I feel like I have to prove myself to a bunch of strangers behind computer screens anyway. Fact is you aren't at this base, and you have no idea what goes on here...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ok, lets forget everything that was said before. Can someone answer my questions?

If I cannot put a number to the calories burned during lifting weights, how will I know I am in calorie deficit?
    If I lose 100lbs of fat and gain 100 lbs of muscle, how is that better for me or my weight?

Easy, don't count the lifting as part of exercise, nor in TDEE if you do that method.

It obviously burns energy, of which you have now NOT included.
    It burns calories during the workout of which the HRM can't estimate, and it burns more calories after the workout during repair that you probably aren't even aware it was doing.

Therefore your are NOT eating back or any food for the lifting burn.
    But be willing to as you'll probably find the body really wants to some food to make improvements.

Also, to an early post you made, 100 lbs is 100 lbs.
    Perhaps on the scale - but guess which one takes up a whole lot less space, and will have everyone commenting - wow, you really lost a lot a weight. And then you can tell them no, not really, and watch their confused look as they try to figure out what changed.
    You know you lost 30 inches everywhere, even if no weight.

That's extreme example of course, because you would lose weight too. Just fat, not muscle. Hopefully.
    So no, not better for joints at the upper end of obese size.
    But as you get closer to goal, as many women have found, 10-15 lbs over goal weight but thinner than they have ever been in their life, is much better. And stronger. And better metabolism. And better able to handle fluctuations in eating with no ill effects. ect.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thank you to the OP for taking the time to post some great info about HRMs and estimates.

And to everyone who took that post as gospel for why they should chuck their HRM in the trash or why lifting just won't work after all - you're reading way too much into it and putting an unnecessary spin on the info.

Losing weight is all about estimates. Calorie counts are estimates. Calorie burns are estimates. Heck, even weight is an estimate for me most days....I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day. You just do the best you can with the tools that you have. An HRM is helpful. A food scale is helpful. Cardio is helpful. Lifting is helpful. And when you put all those helpful things together, you will probably get a nice return on your investment/work - weight loss.

And to reiterate about estimates - a lot of things in life are estimates, but we accept them. Weather forecasts are estimates. They say "60% chance of rain" and we all put an umbrella in our cars. Do we get mad when it doesn't rain and think "I'm throwing away that umbrella and unplugging my tv because the rain never came!" No, we are thankful for the sunshine and keep our umbrella handy for another day. The car dealership tells us that the minivan we like gets an "estimated 20mpg" and we accept that knowledge. Do we quit driving it when it only gets 18mpg? No, we accept a range of error, and keep driving to get where we are going.

Life isn't exact. Why are you expecting weight loss and fitness to be 100% exact all the time? Unrealistic expectations will hold you back from a lot of progress. Just saying.
  • heybales
    Options
    we have another non reader here. The measurements havent changed. I posted that up before. I also already stated that I was going to give it a shot. what part of that didnt you read or understand?

But lets be realistic. If you see a 400 lb person walking around is your first though "man, that guy must be working or and is totally in calorie deficit". No, you think "I hope he doesnt come near me and infect me with his fatness, that big fat whale". So again, if the scale doesnt go down, peoples opinion of me will still be the same.

You really need to stop wearing a scale around your neck so people can see how much you weigh, and instead see how much thinner you are.

After reading your comments and your pure concern for scale weight, I'll bet the issue is eating way too little for your level of exercise. You've probably screeched your metabolism to a halt at this point.

Yep, even over 500 lb guys (another example) can over due a deficit and cause themselves no or low weight loss.

Very separate issue compared to needing to know exactly how much you burn during a certain workout.
  • heybales
    Options
    and it stole $100 too!

And when you start doing your first 10K training down the road - you'll want it back then - for it's primary purpose - monitoring your heart rate for better training.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thank you to the OP for taking the time to post some great info about HRMs and estimates.

And to everyone who took that post as gospel for why they should chuck their HRM in the trash or why lifting just won't work after all - you're reading way too much into it and putting an unnecessary spin on the info.

Losing weight is all about estimates. Calorie counts are estimates. Calorie burns are estimates. Heck, even weight is an estimate for me most days....I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day. You just do the best you can with the tools that you have. An HRM is helpful. A food scale is helpful. Cardio is helpful. Lifting is helpful. And when you put all those helpful things together, you will probably get a nice return on your investment/work - weight loss.

And to reiterate about estimates - a lot of things in life are estimates, but we accept them. Weather forecasts are estimates. They say "60% chance of rain" and we all put an umbrella in our cars. Do we get mad when it doesn't rain and think "I'm throwing away that umbrella and unplugging my tv because the rain never came!" No, we are thankful for the sunshine and keep our umbrella handy for another day. The car dealership tells us that the minivan we like gets an "estimated 20mpg" and we accept that knowledge. Do we quit driving it when it only gets 18mpg? No, we accept a range of error, and keep driving to get where we are going.

Life isn't exact. Why are you expecting weight loss and fitness to be 100% exact all the time? Unrealistic expectations will hold you back from a lot of progress. Just saying.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Whoops..... well said^^^^^^
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

ETA...forget it. Not worth arguing over anymore. I don't know why I feel like I have to prove myself to a bunch of strangers behind computer screens anyway. Fact is you aren't at this base, and you have no idea what goes on here...
    Fact is I served in the Air Force and am familiar with the UCMJ and other relevant regulations. Nobody would be stupid enough to pick fights with random strangers on base (and especially commit assault/battery in a public place) because they don't know either your rank or whose wife/daughter/niece/etc you might be. And also you could ruin their lives by walking in with a camera and recording their behavior to show to their superiors.

It didn't happen. Find a better excuse and stop blaming it on people who volunteered to serve.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I have lurked this thread all day and typed up a response several times to different thing but didn't want to bother. But this right here is awesomesauce. :heart: :heart:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Fact is I served in the Air Force and am familiar with the UCMJ and other relevant regulations. Nobody would be stupid enough to pick fights with random strangers on base (and especially commit assault/battery in a public place) because they don't know either your rank or whose wife/daughter/niece/etc you might be. And also you could ruin their lives by walking in with a camera and recording their behavior to show to their superiors.

It didn't happen. Find a better excuse and stop blaming it on people who volunteered to serve.

Owned.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Were they physically attacked in the gym? If not, what does this have to do with the gym?

She said above that her friend got pushed down and needed stitches and she gets water bottles thrown at her and mooed at. If she reports it and works up the chain of command, they can remedy things. Or like I said in my other post above, figure out alternatives.

I agree.

I find it hard to believe that the only gym available is the one on the base.

In rural northern Japan...yeah. The only gym I as a SOFA Status dependent am allowed to use is the Potter Fitness Center on base. Thanks though.

Then don't strength train at the gym.

Go buy some free weights and use them at home. If you don't have the money for that then buy some resistance bands. You can do some great strength training with resistance bands. There are also DVD's that you can buy or that even come with the equipment that you can use. Do body weight exercises: squats, push ups, dips, lunges.

There are a lot of inexpensive ways for you to get in some strength training.

That counts? Any time I've seen it talked about its everyone saying pretty much if you don't lift heavy you're not worth anything. I can't buy free weights because it would cost way too much to get them shipped here...but I could buy resistance bands and have them shipped...thanks!

Any exercise "counts". Heavy lifting has benefits that a lot of people here emphasize but it isnt the only way. I think you may be confusingthe threads where people are looking for specific results that would be best obtained by heavy lifting. You'll find even the hard core heavy lifting proponents will encourage you to do any type of exercise you like.
    This. I couldn't afford free weights either and as I already posted earlier in this thread:
    Go on the internet and google classified sites in your area. I managed to get free weights and a bench from kijiji for FREE. Yay free freeweights.

There are many ways to accomplish goals, and you don't have to pay a pretty penny for it. Tho I would love to get my hands on some olympic bars.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies yet, but this speaks to what I've been thinking today. I have plateaued on my weight loss, though I can see some change in how my clothes fit and such. I have a bioimpedence scale which measures BF and muscle mass percentages, and those numbers haven't really changed much either (I realize it may not be the most accurate measure of either statistic, but since I'm using the same method day-to-day, I figure I'm comparing apples to apples and would notice a change if there was one).

I'm also aware that some of my issue is that I haven't been eating quite like I need to be, and I'm working on that.

So as of today, I plan to enter my exercise calories (as per my HRM) into MFP on my cardio days and eat those back, but not on lifting days. In my head I will know that I did burn calories with my lifting, but how much would be a total guess. I don't know how this will turn out, but time will tell.